Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New from Futaba, who will be the first?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New from Futaba, who will be the first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New from Futaba, who will be the first?

we're on the save wavelength siclick33... I hit my reply a couple mins after you did;-)

Z
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

wow another 700.00 price jump, welp I guess I will be buying a used one [:@]
Thats just crazy for a radio, I love my 14 channel but wow really?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Heck, I'm hoping to get my hands on an Airfield x-6...
Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND IS CRAZY ENOUGH TO SPEND THAT MUCH FOR A FREAKING RADIO.OH WELL EACH TO HIS OWN.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $3,000 it better have a GPS coupled with an auto-land system, as well as telemetry readouts and a live video camera system built into it. Other than that, if I needed 18 channels (and from the looks of things, some people would need 20 so they can have a smoke system), I could put a second receiver in my plane that is linked to another 2.4G transmitter so that a co-pilot can control the non-flying channels such as bomb drop, lights, smoke, drag-shoot deployment, and brakes.

And to boot, this new $3000 radio will have a lithium battery. Imagine that battery getting a short while you are flying and you have to drop the $3000 radio on the ground because it just reached 2000° and burst into white flames, and then you have to watch helplessly as your $10K jet follows suit.

Not for me ...
Old 10-06-2011, 03:31 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 12Z has a lithium battery and so does the 14MZ. Nothing new.(Or dangerous)
Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, but doesn't the 14 have a Li-ion? This 18z has LiPo
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

14 is a ion, sad to say there will plenty of people that will 3k for a radio, because if they didn't futaba would not be charging that much.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
rcguy59

Yes, the 12Z and 14MZ share the same type of Li ion battery.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

It would not be so bad if they held their value a bit better. I think of radios as being the same as laptops... upgrade every other year.

Hobby is awfully expensive.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

I find it fairly ridiculous, all this griping about the cost of the 18MZ! Each and every one of you has at least twice that amount zooming along through the skies, one dumb thumb away from COMPLETE loss! The one item we buy, which survives to control the next $6-10k jet we purchase, is the transmitter! You buy it once and use it for years!

We have all spent more than that, only to see it all go down in flames on the very first flight! And if you haven't yet, stay in this hobby long enough and you will!

Buy the best transmitter you can afford and it will last you for years! And will be the best, longest lasting investment you will
Probably make in this hobby!

David S
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Searles

I find it fairly ridiculous, all this griping about the cost of the 18MZ! Each and every one of you has at least twice that amount zooming along through the skies, one dumb thumb away from COMPLETE loss! The one item we buy, which survives to control the next $6-10k jet we purchase, is the transmitter! You buy it once and use it for years!

We have all spent more than that, only to see it all go down in flames on the very first flight! And if you haven't yet, stay in this hobby long enough and you will!

Buy the best transmitter you can afford and it will last you for years! And will be the best, longest lasting investment you will
Probably make in this hobby!

David S
+1

I remember when the Futaba 8UAP First came out (i believe it was in 95/96). It was priced at $1400. I bought one right then and there as i HAD to have one... plus the current radio was toast. I used that radio up until 2007 with only having to send it in for repair for a few things, only reason I put it aside (actually sold it, and its till being used today by a fellow) is b/c I decided to switch brands
Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 PM
cbh82v
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

For $3,000 it better have a GPS coupled with an auto-land system, as well as telemetry readouts and a live video camera system built into it. Other than that, if I needed 18 channels (and from the looks of things, some people would need 20 so they can have a smoke system), I could put a second receiver in my plane that is linked to another 2.4G transmitter so that a co-pilot can control the non-flying channels such as bomb drop, lights, smoke, drag-shoot deployment, and brakes.

And to boot, this new $3000 radio will have a lithium battery. Imagine that battery getting a short while you are flying and you have to drop the $3000 radio on the ground because it just reached 2000° and burst into white flames, and then you have to watch helplessly as your $10K jet follows suit.

Not for me ...
I've heard that it will load your planes into your trailer for you. Drive you to the field. Bring lunch. Laugh at your jokes. Hook you upwith hotchicks. Provide turn by turn directions. Recieve sattelite radio, traffic and weather info.Run all I Phone apps. Function as a boom box, and PA annuncer for your aerobaticroutine. Electric shaver and tooth brush. Run windows 7 quickly. Andbuy you a new plane when you crash.

3K really??? no thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: invertmast
well in my case... 18 channels =
1- throttle
2- nose wheel steering
3- rudder
4- Flaps/slats
5- gear
6- wheel brakes
7- right taileron
8- left taileron
9- speed brakes
10- wing sweep
11- left spoiler
12- right spoiler
13- arresting hook
14- canopy
15- refueling probe
16- lights
17- exhaust nozzles
18- nose gear ''kneel''
They need to add channel 19!!!!! theres no smoke channel!!!!

Not worth the cash if there is no smoke!!!
Pretty much every jet crash I have seen had smoke. Fire as well. No channel needed for this, it just happens!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

ORIGINAL: cbh82v

I've heard that it will load your planes into your trailer for you. Drive you to the field. Bring lunch. Laugh at your jokes. Hook you up with hot chicks. Provide turn by turn directions. Recieve sattelite radio, traffic and weather info. Run all I Phone apps. Function as a boom box, and PA annuncer for your aerobatic routine. Electric shaver and tooth brush. Run windows 7 quickly. And buy you a new plane when you crash.

3K really??? no thanks.
Well, if it hooks me up with hot chicks, then it's worth it. The only problem I see after that is not having enough money to spend on the hot chicks because I sunk the money into the 18 channel transmitter.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There will be other large channel radios comming down the pike. No way in hell would I spend 3K for a transmitter.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Different people buy the transmitters for different reasons; number of channels is only one factor.

I didn't buy a 14MZ so am looking to replace my old 9z. I definately need more channels!!! It sounds stupid but I also want to be able to put the TX back in the case (which I can't do with my 9Z with the 2.4 module). Telemetry and the S-Bus programmer on the 18MZ will also be very handy.

The $$$$ thing is funny as people are quite happy to spend that much money for one turbine but cough at spending that on a transmitter than you will use on multiple models. That said, I'll give it a while for the rush to die down and see where the price settles. I'm betting that it doesn't stay at $3000 for too long.

Yes I think we all get the whole point of not coughing at spending $$$ on the transmitter, coughing would be buying a hobbyking 9 channel...I think anybody that flies jets or expensive planes will atleast own a JR 9303 or better or a Futaba 9cap or better all with 2.4. I believe you guys are missing the whole point, the majority of the flyers out here buy just to buy and really never need it or should I say use it. A 18 channel transmitter for $3k on sale $4k regular price is insane, but If you need it....you need it, more power to your purchase. But, keep in mind these are the types of reasons the hobby is getting more expensive, because when we spend this type of money on these items the companies thinks it's ok. I will hold onto my $3k and my JR 9303. And for some of you guys it's $3k plus interest...
Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM
rcguy59

You are absolutely right, Mr. Searles. And to those who think it costs too much: You probably don't need it anyway.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I held it at Jetpower and its absolutely awesome !
is it worh 3000$ ? probably not. but my trusty 14MZ isnt worth 2200$ either (12FG does the same!)... but i dont regret buying it - its a hobby and at the time (when it came out) i could afford it and it put a huge smile on my face many times - thats priceless !

Need it or dont, There is no price for FUN.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
dvs1

One thing they did do is they nailed it on styling. I dislike many of the new radios on the market and if I am going to drop 3 large on a radio it better look like a piece of art too!
My opinion also is if you can afford 6-10 grand on just one jet then it makes sense to buy the best radio too. Most likely it will long outlast your jet, whether it ends up in a flaming heap on the ground or you sell it to another flyer. Its a lot like the firearms community. It makes no sense to buy a thousand dollar gun and put a hundred dollar scope on it. If you buy a quality rifle you put a quality scope one it. Same with RC, if you buy cheap stuff keep it all cheap, if you buy the good stuff then buy everything quality. It makes no sense to splurge in one area and skimp in another.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

$3k !?!?! No way! My 14-channel 12FG is FINE for now - and for quite a while from now...

Bob
+1
+2
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
bidrseed2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I begin, i fully accept market forces and futaba wishing to extract maximum revenue from its customers. Whether the price is excessive is a different question.

I don't buy( pardon the pun) this argument that just cause you have a jet you have to have the best radio- you clearly do not, from a functional, safety, legal or any point of view that i can think off.

I also don't buy the argument that because you would spend $10000 on a jet you should be prepared to spend a third of that on a radio. If you follow that argument through, where do you stop, is 10% acceptable, 20%, 50% or as the radio is always used and isn't susceptible to dumb thumbs should be willing to spend 150% on our radio? When is enough enough?

Consider that what were buying is essentially a piece of electronics with a Radio transmitter attached and a electronic screen. Why are JR users accepting of monochrome screens that would be out of date on a £30 supermarket phone. Why are futaba users accepting of colour screens that need recalibrating, when tomtom satnavs sell for £100 with better screens? Im fully aware that tomtom will sell far far more satnavs than futaba will sell transmitters, but how much do we have to pay to get better screens on our transmitters. How much not to have plastic cases? For $3000, I expect more than what is presented.

Genuine question but to make me feel better, can someone give an example of another hobby where an ancillary piece of equipment has a similar relative pricing?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
rcguy59

Golf is a great example of obscene mark-up on virtually everything in the pro shop.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
bidrseed2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was more thinking about electronics? Or a hobby where you can buy one item at $x, or another more expensive version of the same thing for 3x £x

I did consider hifi kit, and the laws of diminishing returns, but thats more due to what's possible with technology ( and how good your ears are) rather than what equipment the manufacturer choose to fit.
I did think about your £600 supermarket plasma compared to to £2500 pioneer plasma, but again I can see where the investment is with the higher end TV. No reasonable expense was spared in the manufacture of the higher end kit so i can see the price being justified.

Im not expecting ipad functionality, ( apple may be brand leaders and have the economy of scale) but If youre going to charge the premium price, you have to have manufactured the premium product with premium components.

Im not sure if thats whats on offer here.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM
siclick33

bidrseed2,

Where can you get a 18MZ for a third of the price? You're not comparing like with like.

If you're happy with a 8FG then you can buy that. If you want something better you can buy a 12Z etc. If you want an 18MZ then you can buy one but noone is twisting your arm and telling you that you have to. It is a choice and if you can justify the $$$ then don't buy it!!!

As for it being on 'sale' at $3000 then I don't think that's true. $4000 is the RRP and $3000 is the selling price. Have a look at Tower and Horizon and very few of their items are sold at RRP. I can't see the price of the 18MZ going above $3000 but I can see it going down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.