Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best F-16?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who makes the best F-16?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Who makes the best F-16?

I agree, we need the Euro to drop fast!!!
Hmmm, can't help you with that......... Some euro countries are trying their best though ha ha ha!

Here another movie of mine and some pic's, posted already here a while ago. Also initially with 16kg thrust, flies very well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmleItbDAUs[/youtube]

Can't get any closer to the real thing?

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 AM
bullmrkt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous... I dunno maybe ill put a lid on the whole thing until I can more realistically afford the scale jets F-16 instead of settling for the Skymaster or Avonds.

Last night while chatting with a buddy about these jets he made a rather stark observation, that while obvious, gave me pause.

"Don't you think it is kind of stupid to buy a toy plane like that? If you crash the thing it'll be nothing but a $15k ball of fire."

Hm...when you put it that way. While I can afford it, I have to admit that its quite a chunk of change, especialy these days.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:23 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gerald Rutten

I agree, we need the Euro to drop fast!!!
Hmmm, can't help you with that......... Some euro countries are trying their best though ha ha ha!

PIGS!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 AM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: bullmrkt

Gorgeous... I dunno maybe ill put a lid on the whole thing until I can more realistically afford the scale jets F-16 instead of settling for the Skymaster or Avonds.

Last night while chatting with a buddy about these jets he made a rather stark observation, that while obvious, gave me pause.

''Don't you think it is kind of stupid to buy a toy plane like that? If you crash the thing it'll be nothing but a $15k ball of fire.''

Hm...when you put it that way. While I can afford it, I have to admit that its quite a chunk of change, especialy these days.
Well, if you put it that way, even a $20 ball of fire would be unacceptable these days. Just focus on not turning it into a ball of fire.

I recently took a significant hit on retirement accounts............I wish I had turned that money instead into 2 or 3 balls of fire as goergous as the one your friend is proposing.

BTW, I think $15K will get you that F-16 to stand pretty on its feet, then you have to power it (another $4K??).

I should have listened to my father and gone to Med School so I could afford these high end models. Engineering is all about intelectual masturbation with no compensation. [:@]
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

''Don't you think it is kind of stupid to buy a toy plane like that? If you crash the thing it'll be nothing but a $15k ball of fire.''

Look at it as it will be a $9,000 ball of fire, because Skymaster F-16's can crash just as well, if you want the best, go for it.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
bullmrkt

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Look at it as it will be a $9,000 ball of fire, because Skymaster F-16's can crash just as well, if you want the best, go for it.
The exact amount is besides the point guys. Either way its a lot of money that I'm feeling a bit irresponsible about dumping into "a toy," even if I didn't crash it. Ah...my stupid fiscally responsible side ruining the fun again.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:47 PM
BlueBus320

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to go 15k deep. Get a Tam or Skymaster 1/8, & you can be done for 4-7grand or so. You can always dress it up, & the engineering/ setup of these jets are a lot of fun, & challenging to set up multiple systems & then tie them all together to make a real miniature jet aircraft.
Technically, I guess you don't have to fly it. I know of a few highly detailed hanger queens out there.. They look like a million bucks taxiing with the lights flashing & canopy open..lol. Never crashed
Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a question if you can afford it, but one of can you afford to lose it . No matter how hard you try or how much you invest in radio gear, if you put it in the air... the risk is there.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Gerald Rutten

I agree on that! These type of models are not just fun toy's you pull off the shell, a complete other ballgame... If one has difficulties in assessing if you can afford it just don't do it!!! Unless you want to make them hangar queens you can always loose them as is for other expencive hobby's like car tuning, motorbiking and other complicated boy-like toys where you are on the cutting edge of the hobby.....in that case the model can turn to be your worst nightmare everytime you are at the field trying to fly it.

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

Gotta ask a question... Why is it that most threads turn into a discussion about money? Good grief.
Look at the title of the thread, it has nothing to do with money especially when we all know "best" is usually not synonymous with cheap or inexpensive. It gets really old talking about justifying the expense of this hobby. It can be expensive. Deal with it and enjoy it or move to a different pastime. Nobody out here in RCU land can write anything that will set your mind at ease with the risk of a 15K fireball. If a loss of that magnitude is too much given your financial position, principles or even nerves then maybe it's best not to do it. You won't enjoy a minute of the flight anyway. Step down a bit and fly something less expensive and quit worrying about the "best". Then admire and enjoy those planes like Gerald's who is obviously more comfortable committing the time and money necessary to have a model like that.
By the way Gerald...Congrats on the JWM finish!!! It was a pleasure meeting you there. Nice video and awesome landing!
Mike
Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 AM
bullmrkt

OK then!Back on topic...
Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

I'll cast another vote for the Skymaster 1/6 F-16. I've been flying one for more than a year and it is a great scale jet. I haven't owned other F-16s, so I can't speak to the quality of others; but I can tell you that I've never for a moment regretted buying the Skymaster. Handling characteristics: 10 out of 10. Quality of construction: 8 out of 10. Landing gear: 11 out of 10. Ground handling: another 10 out of 10.

I do have a friend who built and flew a FEJ F-16...that is, until a servo mount installed at the factory came loose, pressurized the wing, and blew up the wing. It didn't fly very well with one wing, so you can imagine what happened. FEJ replaced the aircraft for him, but the new one has been sitting in his trailer for a year ready to fly. He can't bring himself to put it in the air.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 AM
bullmrkt

After almost pulling the trigger on the Avonds, I'm leaning very heavily towards the Skymaster 1/6th. I like that Ican deal with BVM, they provide upgraded parts and a manual, provide a buffer between me and Taiwan for support etc. Its already painted also, which is something I'm not setup to do myself and I don't want to get into a situation where I'm waiting months for my buddy to paint it because he's too [insert excuse]. I'm a lot more comfortable putting ~$10-12k in the air than ~$20-25k that would be required by the scale-jets. Not to mention that fact that its huge, I'm not sure I could get it into my wifes Honda Pilot, and definitely not my BMW 335 coupe!Forget about trailers...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

Seriously? Your profile says you've been flying for two years and your favorite plane is a Habu? Is this F-16 your first turbine powered jet? Do you have a signed Turbine Waiver? What jets have you flown? Your profile says you live in Dayton. Where do you plan on flying it? The reason for asking these questions is maybe a 1:6 scale jet may not be the "best" for you.
Why even mention a BMW 335?
Why do I get the feeling we are all being strung along?

Mike
Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM
bullmrkt

ORIGINAL: Molnar142

Seriously? Your profile says you've been flying for two years and your favorite plane is a Habu? Is this F-16 your first turbine powered jet? Do you have a signed Turbine Waiver? What jets have you flown? Your profile says you live in Dayton. Where do you plan on flying it? The reason for asking these questions is maybe a 1:6 scale jet may not be the "best" for you.
Why even mention a BMW 335?
Why do I get the feeling we are all being strung along?

Mike
Molnar, it was not my intent to single you out with anything I said. Unfortunately communicating via the internet has is shortcomings. As for your questions:

This would be my first turbine jet, I've been flying EDFs (including the habu) for the past 2 years, and various props on and off for the past 15 years. I was planning on having a couple other local turbine fliers help me with the setup and buddy box on the maiden etc. Yes, big expensive jet, but the common advice has been bigger flies better, and if I can have experienced help at hand then go for it.

I live in Dayton, and WPAFB is my home field, the 7,000 x 150ft runway inArea B where JWM was held this year to be specific.

Imentioned my wife's honda pilot and my bmw in the context of vehicles to transport large jets. Obviously one is not suitable.

You're not being strung along, everyone has been very helpful and thanks to that help I'm a lot closer to making an informed purchase. I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot with you, you're 30minutes from me and Iwas hoping to get to meet you sometime.

Ian

Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey bull, i did everything myself, I built, setup and test flew my own turbine 1/6 f-16 without any problems. My 100cc yak is harder to land than my F-16, anyone who has flown for a few years and flown high speed, 20+ lb aircraft can handle a jet. Well most jets anyway as you know some are much harder to land but the F-16 can land very slow, mine actually lands as slow as my gas plane did. Well before I sold it [:@] what was I thinking i missed my Yak already. Any way good luck and don't get to worried.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
FenderBean

so the scale jets can fly with a 36lb thrust turbine? wow I didn't know it was that light! you could put a mammouth or P200 and fly full options and wing ordinance with no problem.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gerald, what's that F-84 looking plane with the orange nose and tail in the foreground as you taxi back for takeoff? Around 0:38 into the video and then a better view of it 1t 1:16 - 1:17 as you roll out to take off?

Pretty bird, and looks large too!

Shaz
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Hey bull, i did everything myself, I built, setup and test flew my own turbine 1/6 f-16 without any problems. My 100cc yak is harder to land than my F-16, anyone who has flown for a few years and flown high speed, 20+ lb aircraft can handle a jet. Well most jets anyway as you know some are much harder to land but the F-16 can land very slow, mine actually lands as slow as my gas plane did. Well before I sold it [:@] what was I thinking i missed my Yak already. Any way good luck and don't get to worried.

How can you apply your experience to everyone else? My first turbine was a F-16 and I got my waiver in short order, but I've seen plenty of people absolutely destroy their first jet... in some cases their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. You've been around the hobby long enough to know that everyone's learning curve is different.

Generally speaking, I would not recommend a 1/6 (or bigger) F-16 for your first jet. If you're having seconds thoughts because you might crash your jet and be out of $15k, you better stick with foamies.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
FenderBean

I have said from the get go nobody knows there own ability except the individual. He should know what he can handle, if not that's his problem. People make turbine flying harder than it is. Its his money he didn't ask if you thought he could handle it just simply who made the best. Yes some people crash over and over, I see people crash trainer after train so what. So after all that what are you trying to say with the above statement? What he's not good enough to fly turbines?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Gerald Rutten

@Mike, tnx! Nice meeting you too.

Gerald, what's that F-84 looking plane with the orange nose and tail in the foreground as you taxi back for takeoff? Around 0:38 into the video and then a better view of it 1t 1:16 - 1:17 as you roll out to take off?

Pretty bird, and looks large too!

Shaz
Thats a fully homebuilt model, a Fokker S14 Machtrainer, built special for dutch government in the '50,s, only 21 where built.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_S.14_Machtrainer

so the scale jets can fly with a 36lb thrust turbine? wow I didn't know it was that light! you could put a mammouth or P200 and fly full options and wing ordinance with no problem.
Correct!

Although I plan to built a full ordinance version as well with the same turbine I have now which has 36lb thrust. It will be a two-seater version from the RNLaF, will be a dirty one.... This is the subject:

Marijn has some dual molding he never used to date so I though let's go ahead and make something different. I'm one of those fools who try to make everything himself...., now working on the turbine which is nearly ready.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I have said from the get go nobody knows there own ability except the individual. He should know what he can handle, if not that's his problem. People make turbine flying harder than it is. Its his money he didn't ask if you thought he could handle it just simply who made the best. Yes some people crash over and over, I see people crash trainer after train so what. So after all that what are you trying to say with the above statement? What he's not good enough to fly turbines?
If the OP is going to go big and he's doubting himself because of the money, then there are less expensive options. I am providing an alternative (and more conservative) suggestion.

With that said, it is his money and he will do what he wants. If money isn't the primary evaluation factor, the Scale Jets F-16 with a professional finish is the winner IMHO.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
FalconWings

You see, the original question is not specific enough, it does come down to size and money.

If size and money are not a problem, I know of a pair of F-16's here in Fort Worth I could get you cheap, they are full scale also. Corrosion may be an issue though as they have been standing next to a lake for 25 years. You can get the engine from Venezuela, cables from Mexico, and most avionics from Israel's black market (through Eqyptian intervention of course). There is a company out of Palmdale that will install R/C equipment in it so you can fly it with a laptop or a 10X (google QF16). All in all I can create a package for you for under $4M. You will need your own little country to fly it too. There's a couple of islands for sale in the caribbean. Take the one with at least 5000x150 ft. There is no guarantee though that a Reaper will not take it down the minute you get it airborne.

So back to this little world we sometimes call reality, if size and money are a constraint, then there is an F-16 flavor for everyone's taste at a more reasonable price. Hence we have presented to you some options on this thread.

David
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: dubd

.....FEJ's F-16: When I was looking into this plane a number of owners steered me away with horror stories. Maybe it's been improved, but I don't know anyone with extensive time on one to offer useful feedback on it.

the quality between my FEJ F-16 that i picked up shortly after they came on market and Fenderbean's is like night and day, mine was absolute garbage, the quality on his is up to par it just needs some air time on it to see how it holds up.
KC is just one of those bash anyone he doesn't approve of people..................

Once again bashing everyone but BVM I see........Nice hypocrisy on parade, but expected.....

Probably never even really owned a FEJ......
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

After almost pulling the trigger on the Avonds, I'm leaning very heavily towards the Skymaster 1/6th. I like that I can deal with BVM, they provide upgraded parts and a manual, provide a buffer between me and Taiwan for support etc. Its already painted also, which is something I'm not setup to do myself and I don't want to get into a situation where I'm waiting months for my buddy to paint it because he's too [insert excuse]. I'm a lot more comfortable putting ~$10-12k in the air than ~$20-25k that would be required by the scale-jets. Not to mention that fact that its huge, I'm not sure I could get it into my wifes Honda Pilot, and definitely not my BMW 335 coupe! Forget about trailers...
Interesting that you should mention a Honda Pilot. I transport my Skymaster F-16 in my wife's Honda Pilot, and it fits perfectly. With the vertical stab removed, it sits on its landing gear with the back seats folded down, and there's about a foot of clearance between the nose and the windshield. In fact, before we bought the Pilot, we made sure it would fit a 1/6-scale F-16.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.