Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Had a look at the 'other' FEJ F-14 build here on the forum and I have to comment......

The 'new' elevator' system which whilst I cannot actually see how its assembled looks like its going to be a no-no. I am happy however to be corrected if my assumptions are wrong.

Assuming the pin which moves the elevator is fixed to the servo arm through one of the holes in it, the resulting twisting forces are going to be insane. It will load the areas where the pin is bolted to the servo arm, the point where the servo arm is fitted to the servo output splines, the servo output bearings - it goes on......

Then we have the 'linkage' to the elevator, a slot in which the pin slides. If this is slightly out of alignment it will generate binding, and binding is NOT good! Finally if the hole is not a perfect fit on the pin at all deflections it will result in slop and inevitably bye-bye jet []

If it were my jet I would want evidence that this system has been designed using proper calculations and totally field tested to failure before even considering its suitability to move an elevator correctly.

My view.

marcs
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 AM
siclick33

Another interesting snippet from the 'other' thread, dated before dubd posted his video.

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

Hey Guys,

Thought i would share pics of my new f-14 from FEJ. There are a few changes from my first one (RIP). The biggest change is the elevator is direct drive. The other changes are the wood pieces over the honeycomb area ex. in the tail part where you screw in the servo.

Firstly, what happened to the first one?

Secondly (and I am in no way connecting this with my previous question), I wonder why FEJ added wood to the honeycomb area in the tail? Is this a QC issue or an intentional change?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dubd I'm really sorry for your loss but I'm glad there was video to prove your point. Heck even with this obvious video.. people still say dumb sh**[:@]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unwq7IpNLIQ
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 AM
marcpamjoce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jackjet

Honeycomb, not rubber, Honeycomb. Remember that.

[/quote]

dont you have anything constructive to say at all ?

DONT FEED THE TROLLS !
[/quote]

yum, yum, yum. Can i have another cookie, yum yum yum

Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

http://<b><font size=''2'' color=''#...nke</font></b> - you would have more credibility if you didn't bash everything fej. you like to read other post and quote but often leave out information. i stated it has been to long and i can't remember the weight.

Fyi- both my mig and f-14 got the inspection to fly unlike most big jets flying at these events. also bob - have over 150 flights in the last 2 years easy just for records. you are welcome to call me or pm me if you an issue with my flying or jets. if you like to inspect my jet fly down to houston. if you got the $$$$ i will let you fly.
Warrenson,

I didn't bash anyone, and in fact, I pointed out that you were the only person who has gotten their F-14 inspected as a large model. You stated in the other thread that you thought that your F-14 was 66 lbs wet. Is that close enough to 55 lbs that you think that these aircraft are not "Large Models" according to the AMA? Apparently you didn't because you got yours inspected - kudos to you for actually following the rules. Of course, everyone who is flying these with 140's and 170's has them turned down to 25 lbs each to comply with the 50 lbs maximum thrust rule (unless its certified as a "Large Model") right?

As far as "bashing" everything FEJ, all I have ever done is describe my experiences with FEJ (many years before this incident) and the fact that I did not believe that anything has really changed. There are now 15+ pages in this thread indicating that I had a valid point, don't you think?

Bob
Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was informed that Ken isn't the owner of FEJ... did they sell? 9 days later and still no word from the "boss" at Fly Eagle. Ridiculous!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Bob you are correct, u need to speak on your experience with any jet or jet company.  I will also speak on my ton of experience with my jets
The style of flying is debatable.  I hear that some people fly fast and aggressive and thats ok.  Personally, i don't fly that style. A few loops and cuban 8 and split s are fine with me.  

ianober- not sure why you so upset.  Someone stated that no f-14 had more than a 140 for turbine and i stated my f-14 had k170.  

I paid about 7 for both of my jets.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM
dubd

I paid about 7 for both of my jets.
Before I received my f14 from Fly Eagle I offered it to you for under 6k. You told me you're going to pass because FEJ sold one to you for much less.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM
siclick33

You still haven't said what happened to your first one, Wap (or are you not allowed to)?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Dubd u told me u paid 6200 and i was negotiating. Sorry trying to get the best price. The first one cost me $6800. As i told you before i wanted a particular color.

Sicklick- if you read the all the entire thread it's there. I lost control pilot error. I know it's hard to believe but every now and then a plane crash because of the pilot and or the builder did something wrong. It's not always the Jet companies fault.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd
The factory also gives discounts to the people that create build threads and publically praise them. Your average consumer has to sift through a lot of smoke and mirrors to get unbiased information. It's worse than buying a used car!
Unfortunately shilling is rampant. I believe the combination of a relatively small market combined with the ubiquity of RCUniverse makes shilling particularly effective in RC jets.

It will be easier to prove why your stab fluttered than who is a shill. Trust me.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 AM
dubd

Still no response from FEJ about their reasons for blaming the crash on the electronics or batteries, yet their reps are viewing this thread right now.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

Still no response from FEJ about their reasons for blaming the crash on the electronics or batteries, yet their reps are viewing this thread right now.
We all know its ALWAYS the radio that causes a crash.

I would be amazed if someone from FEJ would respond since its a pretty unanimous decision that there was a structural failure
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: JimBrown

I have no idea if this will help or not, but here is the pertinent bits of the original video run through a video stabilizer.

...jim
I'd like to say many thanks to this guy for his contribution of slowing down the video to capture what actually happened, and allowing the cause of the crash (design & structural flaws) to come to light. The stabs began flapping (fluttering). That resonated to the fuse, thus causing the fuse to twist. Whereby, breaking the aft bulkhead, and allowing more twisting on the fuse combined with further flutter leading to total loss of control.
Also, luckily, there was a video of the flight too.
FEJ can't wiggle out of this one.
Thanks!!
that video showed nothing more that a flutter that could of been prevented. I showed him what I did to my linkage before he ever flew his jet but he had a expert say that he did need to do this small mod. So how come no blame is being passed to this expert. all you guys are jest guessing that the bulkheads failed. in fact the flutter caused every thing that happend

B-1 Bob

when FEJ are outlawed only outlaws will fly FEJ
Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1/2 time show

I have no idea if this will help or not, but here is the pertinent bits of the original video run through a video stabilizer.

...jim
I'd like to say many thanks to this guy for his contribution of slowing down the video to capture what actually happened, and allowing the cause of the crash (design & structural flaws) to come to light. The stabs began flapping (fluttering). That resonated to the fuse, thus causing the fuse to twist. Whereby, breaking the aft bulkhead, and allowing more twisting on the fuse combined with further flutter leading to total loss of control.
Thanks!!
that video showed nothing more that a flutter that could of been prevented. I showed him what I did to my linkage before he ever flew his jet but he had a expert say that he did need to do this small mod. So how come no blame is being passed to this expert. all you guys are jest guessing that the bulkheads faled. in fact the flutter caused every thing that happend

B-1 Bob

That's why you design and TEST the models to prevent flutter like this from happening.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

...jim
Thanks!!
that video showed nothing more that a flutter that could of been prevented. I showed him what I did to my linkage before he ever flew his jet but he had a expert say that he did need to do this small mod. So how come no blame is being passed to this expert. all you guys are jest guessing that the bulkheads faled. in fact the flutter caused every thing that happend

B-1 Bob

What makes you so damn sure about that? You have no evidence of your statement any more than those thinking the soft bulkhead is what caused the flutter in the first place.
Seems to me outlaws historically were murderers right, will fej aircraft be the modern weapon of choice?
Yes, that was a stupid comment, almost stupid as b1 bobs.
I ask you this, would you have built a bulkhead out of honeycomb with a small piece of plywood for your thud? How about for the big B1 bomber that you gave up on?
It sure is great to have such a credible expert weigh in on this....
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Sparhawk

What scared me the most was the telling x-rays that showed that the shaft was only supported by honeycomb material as well. If these had become compromised, wouldn't that have also contributed to the excessive play of the stabs on the shafts and inevitable flutter? How many more sets of stabs are out there that are constructed the exact same way? I think the focus should not just be on the fuse formers, and stab linkage supports.

Sorry to see this happen.

Dan
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
dubd

...jim
Thanks!!
that video showed nothing more that a flutter that could of been prevented. I showed him what I did to my linkage before he ever flew his jet but he had a expert say that he did need to do this small mod. So how come no blame is being passed to this expert. all you guys are jest guessing that the bulkheads failed. in fact the flutter caused every thing that happend

B-1 Bob

Bob, now you're just making **** up. I never said anything about an expert. In fact, Ian and I did apply your feedback... along with Ali and EDFJim. I had the whole FEJ team inspect my plane at BITW!

I had a lot of respect for you until this last post...

I really wonder what is going on behind the scenes with the consumer reps and FEJ. How about I PayPal you $500 towards your next plane and you say some positive things about me?????
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

[quote]ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

...jim
Thanks!!

B-1 Bob

What makes you so damn sure about that? You have no evidence of your statement any more than those thinking the soft bulkhead is what caused the flutter in the first place.
Seems to me outlaws historically were murderers right, will fej aircraft be the modern weapon of choice?
I ask you this, would you have built a bulkhead out of honeycomb with a small piece of plywood for your thud? How about for the big B1 bomber that you gave up on?
[/quote

dude you are unreal that evidence do you have? jest a stupid ass guess
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
dubd

Guys one thing to remember is the consumer reps are going to come into this thread to stir the pot hoping that this thread spirals out of control forcing the moderators to shut it down. Please do not let that happen.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 AM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

If this thread will continues like thi moderator will close it
Old 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: 1/2 time show

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

...jim
Thanks!!

B-1 Bob

[/quote

dude you are unreal that evidence do you have? jest a stupid ass guess

You are the unreal one Bob, your GUESS is no more factual than mine was. The difference is you come across as though you know for absolute fact. Again, I ask you, would you build one of your thuds with a honeycomb bulkhead on a major structure?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM
ddrake24

It’s a free country so I am going to put my two cents worth in. B1 Bob did experience flutter on his elevators and had to perform a modification to fix it. This has been stated. As I understand it the jet that crashed did not have this mod. The video showed flutter and flexing of the stabs. I think the possibility exists that flutter could have caused this entire chain of events. Flutter caused the stab to start flexing this caused the rear of the fuselage to start twisting and then we end up with a unfortunate crash. As with most plane crashes there is seldom just one cause usually several things contribute. I hope you guy’s stop cutting each other down over different opinions.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: ddrake24

It’s a free country so I am going to put my two cents worth in. B1 Bob did experience flutter on his elevators and had to perform a modification to fix it. This has been stated. As I understand it the jet that crashed did not have this mod. The video showed flutter and flexing of the stabs. I think the possibility exists that flutter could have caused this entire chain of events. Flutter caused the stab to start flexing this caused the rear of the fuselage to start twisting and then we end up with a unfortunate crash. As with most plane crashes there is seldom just one cause usually several things contribute. I hope you guy’s stop cutting each other down over different opinions.
B1Bob's plane is very different from mine. Bob's plane is fiberglass with plywood bulkheads. Mine was honeycomb with honeycomb bulkheads. Before I bought my F-14 I asked the rep about Bob's flutter and was told it was caused by him using servo screws/incorrect. After my plane crashed I once again mentioned Bob's flutter to the rep and once again he said it was from Bob using servo screws/incorrect.

The real question is what caused the stabs to flutter or oscillate. FEJ says it was caused by my batteries or electronics. I am waiting for them to say how they came to that conclusion.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

I was talking to a friend about this thread the other day. I don't know for sure what caused it to crash but if I were to build one there are definately several things I would make sure and do. First is reinforce the whole bulkhead especially around where the servo mount is. Next is reinforce the control rod in the stabs whether injecting epoxy into them or reinforcing with some ply. Then whatever the recommended throw is match the servo max throw to that which would most likely be a lot less than 1 to 1 throw for better leverage. I learned a lot about that from pattern, heli and 3d flying. Lastely, if you want to keep the jet for more than 1 flight, never use a xps radio system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.