Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 AM
enaltoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GoodMorning,
I have iGyro SRS with GPS.

I own a JetiDC 16 (FW 3.00) + Central Box 200 with two Duplex Rsat 2x (FW3.22).

I connectedthe twoRSAT in outputs-pins RX1 and RX2 of the Central Box 200.

I have set the TX: Double Path mode.

I have set the receivers (RSAT1 and RSAT2):
Output mode: Ex Bus & PPM Positive
No. channels 16
Output period: 14 ms
Failsafe : disabled

Question:in which the output-pin of the Central Box200 I have to connectiGyro?

IGyro will be materially connected with theCentral Box onlythrough one (01) output-pin.Through this exit-outpunt-pin will leave thecontrols for elevator, aileron und rudder.

Question:how do I program the TX so that through theonly exit-output-pin to pass the commands to elevator, aileron und rudder.

Sorryfor the perhaps trivial questionsand for my English!

Thanksfor the reply.

EnryAltoè
ITALY
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Enry,

the iGyro needs a sum signal input that provides the signals for ailerons, elevators and rudder. The iGyro supports the Jeti "EX Bus" but you could also use the "UDI" protocol. Here in the US the "Duplex RSat 2 EX" is not available, but we are using the "R3 EX" receivers instead. This has the EX Bus output on pin 3 by default, but your problem is that you have to connect this port to the Central Box "EXT" labeled inputs. The Central Box does not have a serial output, so I can think of the following ways to solve your problem:

- use a "y" lead to connect the EX Bus output of your RSat receivers to the Central Box and to the Sat inputs 1 and 2 of the iGyro. Set the iGyro to "EX Bus" in the receiver settings
- check with the European distributor if the RSats also support the UDI protocol on a different port than number 3. If yes, connect this output from both receivers to the Sat inputs 1 and 2 of the iGyro. Set the iGyro to "M Link" in the receiver settings (Multiplex "M Link" and "UDI" are the same)

You might want to ask this question again in the Power Box support forum at http://forum.powerbox-systems.com/ just to be on the safe side, there you'll get a qualified answer.

However, this combo does not make much sense to me. I do like the advantages of the Central Box and it's simplicity, but in combination with any external gyro, you bypass most of its safety features, because you have to connect the important servos directly to the gyro and not to the Central Box! You'll still have redundant receivers with this setup, but in case that one of the aileron, elevator or rudder servos fails, the power spike might be enough to cause a "brown out".

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 09-24-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 PM
enaltoe

Hello Thomas,
I only see your answer. I also read your participation in the forum of the PowerBox.

Thanks.

Enry
Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
Harry, our good friends Dave (GooseF22) & Jim (rcjets_63) did an Excellent study of the pro's and con's of each receiver setup... Please refer to the posts starting with #206

Enjoy....

David
I have now read all through those and they are most helpful, but they don't address my question about the pros and cons of using an Rx18 with an rsat versus a CB200 with two rsats. Both have in effect two Rx and 4 aerials, no voltage regulation. I use dual batteries and don't mind if the system has one or two inputs for the batteries. My question is -
I have an F-86 with 15 channels. I could use an R18 Rx with an rsat, or a CB200 with 2 rsats. I don't need any telemetry sensors. What are the pros and cons of each, which would you recommend and why?
Old 09-26-2014, 02:45 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Harry

If you "only" need the 15ch I would recommend and do use the CB 200 over the 18ch Rx.
It has built in battery redundancy should you need it.
It will give you better aerial diversity as you don't "have" to have aerials in the cockpit tub.
There is built in servo overload and isolation protection.
It can cope with higher amp throughput, not that you should ever need as much as 90amps!
I find it a little easer to set up and (if I understand the protocols correctly) the way it "listens" and uses the signal is more comforting.
Chat to Jeff at Zedjets, he will point you in the right direction and will give you a keen price.

I cant think of any pros for the 18ch other than the extra 3ch,I think that could be resolved by using a second Rx as one of its sats?
Its a few quid less expensive, but that's not a major point if you have spent xxxxx thousands on your Jet.

Hope this helps, Mark V

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 09-26-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 AM
HarryC

Thanks Mark, that does help, you have explained the differences between the Rx and the CB. I think I might use the CB200 for all my jets rather than an Rx with rsat, except for those that need more where I will use the new CB400 which I had a look at at the Jeti/Hacker stand at JetPower.
After our chat at JetPower I found Jeff, so things should move forward in the next couple of months.

Last edited by HarryC; 09-26-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:31 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
I have now read all through those and they are most helpful, but they don't address my question about the pros and cons of using an Rx18 with an rsat versus a CB200 with two rsats. Both have in effect two Rx and 4 aerials, no voltage regulation. I use dual batteries and don't mind if the system has one or two inputs for the batteries. My question is -
I have an F-86 with 15 channels. I could use an R18 Rx with an rsat, or a CB200 with 2 rsats. I don't need any telemetry sensors. What are the pros and cons of each, which would you recommend and why?
Post 209 discusses using a primary receiver with a satellite receiver and provides the Pros/Cons of this setup compared to using a single receiver. Your question is slightly different as you'd like a comparison of using a primary receiver with a secondary satellite versus a Central Box with two satellites. Ok here it is:

Comparison of Primary Receiver with Secondary Satellite versus Central Box with Two Satellites:

- both setups use two receivers so they both have antenna diversity and receiver redundancy. However, the primary receiver would likely be installed in the model's component compartment (the antennas are on leads about 12" long and you should separate them) while the secondary receiver could be installed up to 6 feet away. A Central Box would likely be installed in the component compartment and both of its satellites could be installed up to 6 feet away from the Central Box and therefore up to 12 feet between satellites. Assuming you used R3 receivers (which each have two antennas on leads about 8" long) , you should also. The bottom line is that you will likely have your antennas spaced farther apart (and therefore less likely to have their signal blocked by the batteries, turbine, weights, or fuel tank) with a Central Box and two satellites.

- you can plug two batteries into an R14/R18 by plugging one battery into the multiplex port on the front of the receiver and the other battery into the battery ports or any unused servo ports on the side of the receiver. However, both batteries are connected to the main power bus in the primary receiver so there is no isolation between the batteries. In other words, if you have a cell go bad in one battery, it will pull down the voltage of that pack as well as pulling down the voltage of the other pack. A Central Box has two multiplex ports on the front and the Central Box provides isolation between the batteries. If a cell goes bad and pulls down the voltage of one pack, the Central Box isolates that pack and uses power from the other (good) pack.

- in the case of a primary receiver and a secondary satellite receiver, communication from the secondary to the primary is done by a PPM stream which is a bit slow (though it is noticeable, barely, if you are a skilled pilot making a lot of command inputs such as in some 3D maneuvers). Additionally, as long as the primary receiver is receiving a signal, it will use that signal to drive the servos. The primary receiver will only switch to using the secondary receiver PPM stream if the primary receiver losses signal. The signal quality of the secondary receiver may be higher than the quality of the signal of the primary receiver at any given point in the flight, but the secondary signal is not used unless the primary drops out. In a Central Box setup, it is my understanding that the Central Box uses the satellite with the best signal quality at all times. Communication between the receivers and the Central Box is EX Bus which is a faster protocol than PPM.

- A Central Box has a variety of other features that are simply not present in the receivers. You could get a complete list from the manual but, off the top of my head, these include the battery isolation (as previously discussed), power cutoff to a shorted servo, and individual voltage, amperage, and capacity monitoring of both battery packs. The Central Box lets you know how your batteries are doing, and how much capacity you are using per battery. This keeps you well informed as to the condition of your batteries and can give you an early indication of a pack going bad. It can also help prevent you from making a charging error. I'll give you and example, but using an ECU battery, but the concept is the same as with an Rx battery.

....A couple of weeks ago, a buddy put several flights on a jet and was charging his ECU battery. We knew based on the MUI-30 that he had installed on the fuel pump that he was using about 500mah per flight to the fuel pump. The kero start likely required about 200mah so he was using about 700mah per flight, and had done 3 flights for a total of 2100 mah. He recharged his ECU battery and the charger put in about 1200mah and said the pack was full. That didn't make sense so we checked the charger and found an incorrect setting. We plugged the battery back in and it took another 800-900 mah to charge.

So, having the Central Box tell you how much capacity you used from each battery, and comparing that to your charger telling you how much capacity was added to the batteries during charging may prevent you from making a simple mistake, or may help you detect a bad pack, and this could save an airplane from crashing one day.

- A Central Box with two satellites costs a bit more than a primary receiver with a secondary satellite. To my mind, the added cost is well worth it as it is a small fraction of the cost of the jet.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 09-26-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:52 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
I have an F-86 with 15 channels......I don't need any telemetry sensors.....
I wanted to address this statement separately. It sounds like your F-86 is a pretty nice plane but you say that you don't need any telemetry sensors. I would recommend using a sensor on your turbine. The MUI-30 sensor installed on the positive wire leading to the fuel pump and connected to the ECU battery will give you:
- ECU battery voltage monitoring
- Capacity used by fuel pump - this is equivalent to amount of fuel used. In other words, it's a gauge of how much fuel you have left on board.
- Flameout detection (if fuel pump amperage goes to less than 0.1A). This will give you an immediate alarm notifying you that your engine has stopped. If you ever fly when there are other jets in the air or if you are flying the downwind leg or far away, you might not hear your engine flaming out, Having the sensor may save precious seconds, altitude, and airspeed that makes the difference between a sucessful dead-stick landing and bringing the wreck back home in a garbage bag.

All that for $38. How could you not need this sensor?

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by rcjets_63; 09-26-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:40 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well after flying My Jeti DS-16 for nearly a year and being totally delighted with it, I have just got a Mflow meter sensor for mine. Trouble is I have no clue to setting it up. The instructions suggest that when you switch on you should see a welcome message in the Jeti Box, But i do not see this in the Jeti Box emulation on the TX. Since there are no instructions in the manual for the Jetibox, I am at a loss to know how to proceed. This is the first sensor that I have attached, but plan on using others so I need to master this. I suspect that I am missing some fundemental step. Ideas anyone?
John
Old 09-27-2014, 12:48 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well after flying My Jeti DS-16 for nearly a year and being totally delighted with it, I have just got a Mflow meter sensor for mine. Trouble is I have no clue to setting it up. The instructions suggest that when you switch on you should see a welcome message in the Jeti Box, But i do not see this in the Jeti Box emulation on the TX. Since there are no instructions in the manual for the Jetibox, I am at a loss to know how to proceed. This is the first sensor that I have attached, but plan on using others so I need to master this. I suspect that I am missing some fundemental step. Ideas anyone?
John
Old 09-27-2014, 01:18 AM
HarryC

Thanks for all the info Jim, I am convinced the CB rather than an Rx is the system for my better models.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:24 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by ddennison
Hi Everyone,

I bought the M450 speed sensor, I didnt realize the accuracy on this is half of the 300, but it still should work well for me.

I plan to mount it in the stbd wing on the Hog in the scale position. I am wondering if it is better to have longer electrical leads to the wing tip or to have longer tubing to allow the sensor to be farther inboard? Pactically, the pitot tuube will go in the wing leading edge and the sensor will either go closer to the wingtip to service through the tip of the wing, or it will go farther inboard (preferred) to someplace that I can fit it through the aileron servo cover.

Either way it is going to be 7-8 feet away from the reciever and will require probably 2 - 48" extensions to reach the receiver. There is no mention of limiting the length of tubing or electrical connectors for installation.

Thanks,
Dave
Longer electrical leads better than long tube..for sensors. Mount the sensor as close to the tube as allowed..but accessible
Old 09-27-2014, 04:27 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by JohnMac
John
renew the sensors in the sensor menu, then wait.. the parameters should then begin to appear on the display sensors menu under the main Timing sensor menu.. usually takes a few mins for all the parameters to show up.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Like2fly!

Is the Jeti 2.4 signal rock solid? Zero glitches, zero signal loss?

Im considering the ds16. I have had zero signal issues with futaba but really like the sound of the ds16.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 AM
gooseF22

been rock solid in my ac
Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default JetCat Turbines sensors "JJXC-Ex"

The wait is over Dirk Bubley of CB Elektronics (http://www.cb-elektronics.de/Index%20english.html) has just release the "Ex" version of the JJXC sensor for Jetcat turbines. The device is plug and play like all the other Jeti sensors. The following information can be displayed and alarmed individually:

1. ECU Voltage
2. EGT Temperature
3. RPM
4. Tank fuel-volume (as set in the ECU)
5. Fuel flow rate (based on throttle position)
6. Pump voltage

In the Jetibox emulating screen you can monitor the following:

1. Turbine Status
2. ECU Off status (auto shut-off or RC shut-off)
3. Min-Max pump voltage.

I have tested it on my JetCat 140 RXi and it works well. There is a plug (like the GSU) which goes into the I/O board and then a JR plug into the EXT port of the receiver or Central Box. The cost of the unit is 85.00 euros and shipping is 12 euros (via Deutsche post).

Enjoy your Jeti system.. Best system on the market
Attached Files
Old 09-29-2014, 03:56 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Hmm, glad I just ordered two 140RX for the hog to go with my JEti
Old 09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
LA jetguy

I'm still testing the possibility of two turbines using the JJXC Ex"... Xicoy telemetry has that capability.. not sure JJXC will do that YET... but be patient Dave.. good things are coming...
Old 09-29-2014, 05:41 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Damn!! That's flipping sweet!

The wait is over Dirk Bubley of CB Elektronics (http://www.cb-elektronics.de/Index%20english.html) has just release the "Ex" version of the JJXC sensor for Jetcat turbines. The device is plug and play like all the other Jeti sensors. The following information can be displayed and alarmed individually:

1. ECU Voltage
2. EGT Temperature
3. RPM
4. Tank fuel-volume (as set in the ECU)
5. Fuel flow rate (based on throttle position)
6. Pump voltage

In the Jetibox emulating screen you can monitor the following:

1. Turbine Status
2. ECU Off status (auto shut-off or RC shut-off)
3. Min-Max pump voltage.

I have tested it on my JetCat 140 RXi and it works well. There is a plug (like the GSU) which goes into the I/O board and then a JR plug into the EXT port of the receiver or Central Box. The cost of the unit is 85.00 euros and shipping is 12 euros (via Deutsche post).

Enjoy your Jeti system.. Best system on the market
Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM
LA jetguy

Buck... You need a Jeti system..... You got to kick it up a few notches

PM me if you are interested....
Old 09-29-2014, 06:19 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

LoL. That's exactly what Joe said!! I'm working on another visit in the next couple weeks to santa's workshop. That guy is a machine.

Buck... You need a Jeti system..... You got to kick it up a few notches

PM me if you are interested....
Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 PM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
LoL. That's exactly what Joe said!! I'm working on another visit in the next couple weeks to santa's workshop. That guy is a machine.
Agreed 100%... hope you like what you see at Santa's workshop...
Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 AM
merlin6161

I have a question for the Cortex experts.

When learning to fly jets I was told to apply and hold up elevator at the start of the takeoff run, so when the jet reached a speed that the elevator becomes effective the plane does a nice rotation and lifts into the air rather than being yanked off the ground with a clumsy input of elevator later on. Because the elevator input is applied before the plane reaches an effective speed there is no pitch change right away only later on, so when there is a pitch change the elevator input does not coincide with it. The question is, will the Cortex see that as an uncommanded pitch change and apply down elevator to compensate?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

merlin6161,

Firstly I would suggest that take off technique is different for each aircraft. Some (particularly Deltas) like up elevator early on, some don't.

That said, in normal mode all the Cortex does is dampen down the disturbances. Therefore it would likely have a very small dampening effect on the pitch up but it won't prevent it. Bear in mind that the rate of rotation as this point would be relatively slow (not like a gust of wind in flight) so it would not be seen by the gyro as a significant disturbance. I would be quite surprised if you noticed any difference at all but if you did I think it would only be very minor.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:42 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Using a 18 ch Rx does not give you 3 extra channels vs the CB 200.
One of the "extra" channels, 17 or 18 has to be used as an input from the sat Rx, in my case port 18.
I posted on the "other" forum how I can use port 17 for one of the rudders (it's a P-38) and I was told it's a 16 channel radio, not an 18 channel radio.
I was told when I bought it that it's a 16 function radio and several servo's can be combined to make up a function, but there seems to be no way to map port 17.
That being said, there doesn't seem to any reason not to use the CB 200 over the 18 ch Rx, other than cost.
Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.