Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat Direct Support thread is very unsupportive

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat Direct Support thread is very unsupportive

Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JetCat Direct Support thread is very unsupportive

Cant get ANY help from the Turbine clinic so I will post this here.

I recently changed over to diesel on my P-80se. The power increase was very noticeable! Using a Data Logger I gained 27mph on the top end. However.. with the diesel it seems to pop a small amount at idle and just under half. Above 1/2 throttle its not noticeable at all. When its popping below half throttle there are very small blue flames coming from the tail. I feel that the engine is getting to much fuel at the bottom end.

Is there a way to reduce the fuel flow at the bottom end? This is a GAS start engine.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just my opinion. It is not too much fuel. The fuel it_is_getting is not atomized as well as before. This seems to be a by product of the diesel and is specific to an individual turbine, not a model.

Unless I forgot something, once the turbine is running, it is running closed loop. There are no settings to control the "mixture" as it were. I think there are settings that set how aggressively it accelerates but that does not change the steady state fuel flow mapping. Of course I could be all we
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
Cant get ANY help from the Turbine clinic so I will post this here.

I recently changed over to diesel on my P-80se. The power increase was very noticeable! Using a Data Logger I gained 27mph on the top end. However.. with the diesel it seems to pop a small amount at idle and just under half. Above 1/2 throttle its not noticeable at all. When its popping below half throttle there are very small blue flames coming from the tail. I feel that the engine is getting to much fuel at the bottom end.

Is there a way to reduce the fuel flow at the bottom end? This is a GAS start engine.

I got a p80 that dose the spitting at idle with little blue flames but it goes away once powered up on kero. I have been tempted to go diesel
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its possible you have a fuel needle that is worn or possibly clogged. Did it ever pop on Kero?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

Its common when swapping to Diesel this happens, the P-80 was designed to run on Kero, since you are at idle for a short period in any run, i'd live with it if you want to run Diesel as a fuel.

Dw
Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys! Mr Matt I always appreciate hearing what you have to say. I learn a lot from you

MikeSupercharger... If yours is spitting on Kero I would not recommend that you go to diesel on the THAT engine.. It will only get worse.

Jetcopter.. Thanks for commenting, but the engine is only 8 hrs old and performed flawlessly till I switched to diesel (and still runs great..just a bit rougher on idle )

Dave I agree with you. This is a very minor problem and I'll live with it cause the trade off is WAY more power and fuel that cost less than Half of Kero and is on every corner And! Ive also noticed that my fuel consumption has dropped = longer flight times

I wonder what Kingtech has done to perfect this. I have a K100G that performs flawlessly on diesel once you tweek the settings a bit.

Thanks Guys!!!

Last edited by Vettster; 07-23-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Pepperpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also noticed the fuel savings on my K60G Kingtech. So much so that I can change one of my cells into a smoke tank now. And yes it does seem like Kingtech have mastered the fuel swap.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe Kingtech uses a different style of injector/atomizer, like the old AMTs. Trades off atomization in exchange for less fuel economy.