Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:46 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
read again
[TABLE="class: cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400meters
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • You mayfly your UAS beyond visual line of sight
  • Offer to helpemergency responders
[/TD]
[TD]
  • Occasionallyfly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people with
  • out permission
  • OK to fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • OK to fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Hound! Deleted! Just got the joke! This shouldn't be on here and don't appreciate whomever posted it for only to confuse the issue.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 01-03-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:04 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Hound! Deleted! Just got the joke! This shouldn't be on here and don't appreciate whomever posted it for only to confuse the issue.
Just those that are EASILY confused ... They shouldn't be flying anyway ...
Where's the Sail Boat?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:40 PM
RCFlyerDan

Just those that are EASILY confused ... They shouldn't be flying anyway ...
Where's the Sail Boat?
Depends on the state of the mind at the time, but you are making me ROTFLMAO.....this evening............well, almost!!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Hound deleted +one
Old 01-03-2016, 04:15 PM
HoundDog

Jets could Pylon race. Maybe Reno style closed course racing with FPV and Multiple Pylons.
Just asking?

http://airrace.org/portfolio-item/jet-class/
Old 01-03-2016, 06:40 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am confused as to why a 400' ceiling would mean I can't fly my jets anymore? Seems the FAA took most of these "rules" from the AMA's guidelines anyways. I fly jets and a 400' ceiling isn't going to stop me at all. What about glider guys? There's a group that should be more worried about a 400' limit than anyone else. Seems to me it would be the end for glider, aero-tow and the likes.

Jason
Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sincerely Good Luck with that ... Especially after shouting it for all the world and the FAA to hear. I guess the AMA is going to have to Triple the annual dues to cover all U protesters fines.
They can't do anything about it till I fly my model airplanes and I may never do so.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 AM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
How in the world is waiting to register a belligerent attitude? The FAA won't even know!
Waiting to register isn't a belligerent attitude. A few posts down you stated, "
Not all, I for one will not register."

This is a belligerent attitude
Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Bolshoi
Waiting to register isn't a belligerent attitude. A few posts down you stated, "
Not all, I for one will not register."

This is a belligerent attitude
I don't see why stating a fact is belligerent! I may never have to register!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM
HoundDog

Sincerely Good Luck with that ... Especially after shouting it for all the world and the FAA to hear. I guess the AMA is going to have to Triple the annual dues to cover all U protesters fines.

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They can't do anything about it till I fly my model airplanes and I may never do so.
Unfortunately Sport U are completely correct on that one. Especially if the AC 91-57a stays an AC (advisory Circular) The FAA can not prosecute be cause some disregarded an AC now an FAR is a whole different thing. Hope it doesn't come to US against the FAA. Administrative Law Judge or NTSB no mater. The FAA is going to claim Safety of the NAS Period. That will be hard to argue aginst even with the AMA's 80 year safety record.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by FALCONSNEST
Have fun flying! I'm taking the Bandit out on New Years too. Let's just forget about this crap and have fun!
Falcon! Went flying New Year's Day! Had a blast and flew 3 great flights! It was too much fun to get away from the computer BS and just have fun again!! Hope your NYD was as successful with your Bandit!!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:30 PM
FALCONSNEST

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Falcon! Went flying New Year's Day! Had a blast and flew 3 great flights! It was too much fun to get away from the computer BS and just have fun again!! Hope your NYD was as successful with your Bandit!!
Glad to hear it! My flying got postponed until yesterday due to weather. The P-120 on the Bandit wouldn't start but I had a couple electrics that flew great. What was also great was to see a lot of cronies and crack jokes about how absurd this whole FAA thing is. Regards . . .
Old 01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
TTRotary

Sent my comments in to the site provided by 757 Driver. It's simple: FAA has no legal authority to regulate model aircraft as made clear in the FAA Modernization Act of 2012. That is the LAW and the FAA must abide by it. Pursuant to this law, the FAA has no authority to impose a registration system for model aircraft pilots or their aircraft. Pretty simple, really.

As a full-scale pilot, I object to the FAA diverting any resources away from its NAS safety mandate in this attempt to regulate model aircraft, when the air traffic system in our country is so overstressed and increasingly unsafe. Shortcomings in air traffic control have cause thousands of deaths over the last 8 decades, as compared to zero air passenger deaths attributable to model aircraft. Its seems pretty clear where the FAA should be focusing their efforts.

Last edited by TTRotary; 01-04-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Sent my comments in to the site provided by 757 Driver. It's simple: FAA has no legal authority to regulate model aircraft as made clear in the FAA Modernization Act of 2012. That is the LAW and the FAA must abide by it. Pursuant to this law, the FAA has no authority to impose a registration system for model aircraft pilots or their aircraft. Pretty simple, really.

As a full-scale pilot, I object to the FAA diverting any resources away from its NAS safety mandate in this attempt to regulate model aircraft, when the air traffic system in our country is so overstressed and increasingly unsafe. Shortcomings in air traffic control have cause thousands of deaths over the last 8 decades, as compared to zero air passenger deaths attributable to model aircraft. Its seems pretty clear where the FAA should be focusing their efforts.
All U say is true but the FAA don't see it our way and they likely never will...look at the FAA's Interpretation of #336 That's all the clue U need to see what they think of the AMA and Congress. Question: Have U or anyone seen or heard congress protest to the FAA because the FAA isn't bowing down to the congress and likely never will. The whole thing could become a powder keg. If congress imposes on the FAA on this and a DRONE does cause an accident . Well U figure how many CUA types will sing the Praises of the AMA and Model Aviation as we know it. the answer NONE.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:27 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I registered today and this is what is printed on my Certificate. It clearly states a 400' limit. Also you had to agree to these rules as part of the registration processes.Additionally it says you need to have your Certificate Number clearly visible on the outside of the vehicle. In the e-mail we received from the AMA is stated the number could be inside. Now I don't know if we have special exemptions from these rules since we are using our models for recreation but I did not see anything on the FAA site that said otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	109
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	2139749  
Old 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is interesting: After I registered it showed a picture of a drone and stated that the Certificate number had to be visible. However in the Q/A section, question 46 says the number can be in a battery compartment as long as no tools are needed to access it. That last part in consistent with what the AMA said. I would hate to get dinged on a technicality.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
This is interesting: After I registered it showed a picture of a drone and stated that the Certificate number had to be visible. However in the Q/A section, question 46 says the number can be in a battery compartment as long as no tools are needed to access it. That last part in consistent with what the AMA said. I would hate to get dinged on a technicality.
There are so many Inconsistencies in all the different FAA's different web sites it almost ridiculous. I'd Guess U could not be prosecuted because of all the ambiguity.
A Friend of mine went to talk with the Tower Chief at one of the Local airports to discuss how they were dealing all this. He just laughed and basically said Go away.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been flying like I always do, And far as I can tell most others in my club are doing likewise. Yes I did register but I plan to enjoy the hobby as much as possible and not do anything to bring attention myself and not worry
about this FAA mess to much and I hope it sorts itself out.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
So I registered today and this is what is printed on my Certificate. It clearly states a 400' limit. Also you had to agree to these rules as part of the registration processes.Additionally it says you need to have your Certificate Number clearly visible on the outside of the vehicle. In the e-mail we received from the AMA is stated the number could be inside. Now I don't know if we have special exemptions from these rules since we are using our models for recreation but I did not see anything on the FAA site that said otherwise.

ARRRh! Matey, them's just guidelines! (Pirate Smiley)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:54 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We're not the only one being "Squished" but the FAA.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/aviati...faa/index.html
Old 01-05-2016, 07:25 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
We're not the only one being "Squished" but the FAA.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/aviati...faa/index.html
There are all kinds of rules for airports and their surroundings. Clear spaces on runway ends what U may build and how high it may be built. These rules are for the safety of the flying Public. the Tower is with in 15 degrees off runway 31L - 13 R at king County airport in Seattle Wa. The 1,112' high building at 4.37 statute miles from the North end of the runway.and about 1.01 miles from the center line of the ILS at 1260' AGL or less than 150 ' above the building if it doesn't have some sort of radio mast.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

This one might have a hard time staying below 400 feet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...mart-taxi.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2FDAE22600000578-3387542-image-a-30_1452112176590.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	2140252  
Old 01-11-2016, 07:25 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

As a Canadian who does a lot of jet flying in the US, I've been following the FAA registration story with quite a bit of interest. On one of the Canadian RC forums, the following link was posted: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

Of interest to this thread is:

"Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet, are still allowed to fly and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members."

Do read the rest of the blog entry. Looks to me like things are going in the right direction.
...jim

Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JimBrown
As a Canadian who does a lot of jet flying in the US, I've been following the FAA registration story with quite a bit of interest. On one of the Canadian RC forums, the following link was posted: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

Of interest to this thread is:

"Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet, are still allowed to fly and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members."

Do read the rest of the blog entry. Looks to me like things are going in the right direction.
...jim

I hope that they make it clear that it does not apply to AMA members as long as they are following the AMA safety code! We don't want any newby AMA members to think that AMA membership is a license to do stupid things!

Bob
Old 01-11-2016, 08:09 AM
FALCONSNEST

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I hope that they make it clear that it does not apply to AMA members as long as they are following the AMA safety code! We don't want any newby AMA members to think that AMA membership is a license to do stupid things!

Bob
Common sense must prevail no matter where you are flying or what you are flying. SEE AND AVOID FULL SIZE AIRCRAFT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.