Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:32 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Do they check if they have current auto registration and drivers license? Just because the state doesn't check for that at the field means that the club has to check for drivers license.
Of course not.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Guys,

The idea of arguing altitude in front of some federal or local law enforcement and/or a judge is just so far out in left field. You could however have IMMEDIATE issues, from club members and your club's BOD..

If you fly at a club, there is a very strong likelihood that there are some that don't like turbines.

If you come on here and say you “absolutely cannot stay below 400 feet", they can then say "thank you very much", take that information to the club’s board and maybe that is enough to get turbines banned from your club.

Second, although there may be devices that can tell you your altitude, I don't use them, have no intention of using them. I do not believe they need to be mandated in any way, shape or form. They are prone to error and might cause interference with my radio, cause distraction, cause my battery or turbine to fail, etc etc.

Maybe some of you are too new to remember the AMA turbine "speed limiter wars" of 2004? You do know we did not always have a 200 mph speed limit.

I can easily stay below 400 feet. Easily. All day, every day.

400 feet is certainly not the death of (my) jets……..
I agree 100%. I went out the other day utilizing my telemetry climed out to about 400 ft; not a big deal. I think many skilled jet pilots fly around this altitude in any case. I fly Jeti with telemetry, so if the authorities show up I can be sure to be at 400 ft and prove it with my telemetry log; if it even comes to this. We should all continue to fly responsibly and be diligent about "educating" the inevitable idiots who fly without regard to the rules; in other words keep our sport out of the news.

As much as I am in disagreement with this new law, I don't see how refusing to comply and adopting a belligerent attitude, is going to demonstrate the jet communities professionalism, and commitment to safety to the FAA. Let's play it cool, let our performance do the talking.

As part of my business, I'm thinking about launching a sustained PR effort in support of our sport/ hobby. The AMA, FAA, have failed to engage the general public in a dialogue about, for example, our 80 year safety record, and most importantly, to distinguish Line of Sight flying from FPV. We can't assume that law makers understand these facts anymore than the public.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettster
And for those of us that are not up to speed on American politics and Laws... What does this mean.

That we meet the law's definition of a CBO. The FAA wouldn't be in talks with the AMA if they thought otherwise.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
Of course not.
Then why would you check for registration. Why put the club in jeopardy of a lawsuit?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't see how refusing to comply and adopting a belligerent attitude,

How in the world is waiting to register a belligerent attitude? The FAA won't even know!
Old 01-01-2016, 07:59 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_91-57A.pdf

ac 91-57 a advisory circular <------ Ounce again This is an Advisory Circular ONLY ... Does any one here what the word Advisory Means
1 advisory
/ədˈvaɪzəri/
adjective

: having the power or right to make suggestions about what should be done : able to give advice

No Place does it say it is MANDATORY, it is not LAW yet so one can not be prosecuted for flying a R/C TOY above 400'AGL. What U can be Prosecuted for is:
Modelaircraft operations that endanger the safety of the National Airspace System, particularlycareless or reckless operations or those that interfere with or fail to give way to any mannedaircraft may be subject to FAA enforcement action.
That's it, If U don't do the above U are not subject to Prosecution for flying over 400'.
Read it for your self....
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_91-57A.pdf

Old 01-02-2016, 07:52 PM
ira d

I agree that the FAA has some conflicting info out there but at some point all RC craft operators will have to register and when they do they will have to agree to fly below 400' and I think you then will likely be subject
to prosecution for flying over 400' or not registering and that could be as soon as next month.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:13 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree that the FAA has some conflicting info out there but at some point all RC craft operators will have to register and when they do they will have to agree to fly below 400' and I think you then will likely be subject
to prosecution for flying over 400' or not registering and that could be as soon as next month.
You are wrong - there is no regulation at this point that requires a maximum altitude of 400'

Bob
Old 01-02-2016, 08:28 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rhklenke
You are wrong - there is no regulation at this point that requires a maximum altitude of 400'

Bob
Absolutely correct. AC 91-57a is just that advisory and not prosecutable.
Same when U register with the FAA and say U read the 400' thing and U agree to not violate ...
U are not asked to swear on pain of prosecution and/or jail time for not complying when U sign your 1040.

Does yours look like this one:

[TABLE="class: yiv2911498187, width: 3"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 1"]For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.
For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. L. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 1"][TABLE="class: yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 1"]
  • Fly below 400 meters
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • You may fly your UAS beyond visual line of sight
  • Offer to help emergency responders
[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%, colspan: 1"]
  • Occasionally fly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people with
  • out permission
  • OK to fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • OK to fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 PM
HoundDog

This is no longer true the AMA's members also Blamed for the actions of others.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 PM
ira d

Bob
I am not wrong in what I said that being when you register you have to agree to fly below 400'
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Same when U register with the FAA and say U read the 400' thing and U agree to not violate ...
U are not asked to swear on pain of prosecution and/or jail time for not complying when U sign your 1040.

[TR]
[TD]For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.
For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. L. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400 meters
[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
  • out permission
  • OK to fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
You know you guys like to split hairs on everything but the bottom line is the FAA want us to fly below 400' if most people did not understand that to be the case it would not be a topic of discussion. As far as I
am concerned the FAA intends to enforce a 400' limit. If you don't think the FAA means what they say and will not go after any one for flying to high thats fine to so lets just agree to disagree.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:00 AM
mackeyjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Aus we already have a 400" Rule, it really hasn't meant the death of jets at all, we can also apply for exemptions for events for a higher ceiling. The sky hasn't fallen. CASA basically split hairs by defining it by commercial and recreational use.Our CASA = FAA, MAAA = AMA. As Model Flyers we follow the rules of the MAAA, State associations and the Clubs we fly at. There are few other Alternatives to the MAAA that come and go (cheaper fees and insurance) but most Flying fields are covered by MAAA. MAAA and CASA have come up with a pretty good compromise for safe Model Flying. CASA rarely interferes with us at all unless there is an obvious problem or serious accident. My thoughts are you have to have some sort of regulation in place that allows people who choose to fly and endanger lives ( whether through ignorance, arrogance or stupidity) to be prosecuted under law. The biggest problem we have is that people purchasing model aircraft or drones are not warned of the regulations they have to follow by the people they are purchased off.

Below is from the CASA webiste, the MAAA website goes into detail about the requirements for Model Aircraft.

[h=3]RPA[/h]
  • Unmanned aircraft activities are approved for operations over unpopulated areas up to 400 feet AGL (above ground level) (120 metres), or higher with special approvals.
  • Special approvals are also required for other areas.
  • Operations are not permitted in controlled airspace without CASA approval and coordination with Airservices Australia
  • Can be operated in visual meteorological conditions (VMC) and /or instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) with appropriate approvals.
[h=3]Model aircraft[/h]
  • You should only fly a model aircraft in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
    • no night flying
    • no flying in or through cloud or fog, and
    • you should be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through its point-of-view camera) at all times
  • You must not fly a model aircraft closer than 30 metres to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
  • You must not fly a model aircraft over populous areas such as beaches, other people's backyards, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals where there is a game in progress.
  • In controlled airspace, which covers most Australian cities, model aircraft must not be flown higher than 400 feet (120 metres)
  • You should not fly closer than 5.5km from an airfield.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Not all, I for one will not register.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog

[TR]
[TD]For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.
For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. L. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400 meters
[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
  • out permission
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

ARRRR thems just guidelines, Matey!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:25 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Bob
Bob!
We know there is no regulation, just an advisory circular. Some of interpret that on the registration form itself, the registrant is agreeing on a FEDERAL DOCUMENT that he will fly any and all of his r/c aircraft below 400'. There itself is the rule.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 AM
HoundDog

Sincerely Good Luck with that ... Especially after shouting it for all the world and the FAA to hear. I guess the AMA is going to have to Triple the annual dues to cover all U protesters fines.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:19 AM
HoundDog

[TABLE="class: cms_table_yiv2911498187, width: 3"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: cms_table_yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400 meters
[/TD]
[TD]
  • out permission
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

ARRRR thems just guidelines, Matey!
Did U read closely?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:35 AM
RCFlyerDan

Ird and Hound!

Not sure where you got that table, but did anyone notice it says, "Meters" and not "feet"? 400 Meters is about 1200'?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Ird and Hound!

Not sure where you got that table, but did anyone notice it says, "Meters" and not "feet"? 400 Meters is about 1200'?
Read it closely their RCflyer danny. The Important Parts are now In RED RED RED Any way it's what a friend got.

[TABLE="class: cms_table_cms_table_yiv2911498187, width: 3"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: cms_table_cms_table_yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400 meters
  • You mayfly your UAS beyond visual line of sight
  • Offer to helpemergency responders
[/TD]
[TD]
  • Occasionallyfly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people with
  • out permission
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-03-2016, 07:54 AM
RCFlyerDan

I did! RED is in Meters on the left side of the table.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 AM
HoundDog

read again
[TABLE="class: cms_table_cms_table_cms_table_yiv2911498187"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400meters
  • You mayfly your UAS beyond visual line of sight
  • Offer to helpemergency responders
[/TD]
[TD]
  • Occasionallyfly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people with
  • out permission
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Ird and Hound!

I did not post a table.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 AM
ira d

I am sure there are others that feel the same as you do and some will of course get away with it maybe forever, But someone will get caught and made a example of so we will see how it goes.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:24 AM
HoundDog

You know you guys like to split hairs on everything but the bottom line is the FAA want us to fly below 400' if most people did not understand that to be the case it would not be a topic of discussion. As far as I
am concerned the FAA intends to enforce a 400' limit. If you don't think the FAA means what they say and will not go after any one for flying to high thats fine to so lets just agree to disagree.
No disagreement here but It's still advisory so Until it is an FAR the FAA can not Prosecute

Just saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.