Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX-18 Mixing Flaperons and Elevons

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX-18 Mixing Flaperons and Elevons

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DX-18 Mixing Flaperons and Elevons

I am setting up a new 1/5 F-16 Skymaster and want to set it up for Flaperons and Elevons. I want to be able to dial down the Flaperon movement during regular flight but keep it in play to "clean up" the Elevons and make the turns more sharp and less "cork screw" as they typically create and higher speeds. Plus I want to do clean segmented rolls.

I have selected Flaperons for the wings and two elevators for the tail. I created another model to work on this, I tried putting "V-Tail B" as the tail and still get no mixed movement between the Flaperons and Elevons.

Is there a way to mix the two elevators (leaving them as elevators) to be Elevons, into the Flaperons?

But scratch all that...what would be the best way to set this bird up for Elevons and Flaperons together? I can start over if need be!!!

Please speak clearly...I love to fly, but am no techie dude!

Thanks!
Rex
Old 01-02-2016, 09:04 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the configuration that you are asking about set up on my 14MZ for a big prop plane. I have it on switches so that I can turn each mix on or off in the air as required. I had to set it up using a bunch of P-Mixes, because if you set it up using the flaperon or elevon function it can not be turned on/off in flight. There is always more than one way to achieve an end result with these radios.

I set mine up as Dual Rates for low rate high rate and insane rate where the elevons turn on for the insane aileron rate and/or the flaperons turn on for the insane elevator rate. I also have flaps set up on a slider for landing.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Rex I set up a bvm F16 with flapperons and elevons with flaps down the conventional set up with flaps up on a dx18. Is this what you want?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:35 AM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by gunradd
Rex I set up a bvm F16 with flapperons and elevons with flaps down the conventional set up with flaps up on a dx18. Is this what you want?

YES! That's what I am looking for.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 PM
gunradd

I set it up with an igyro. It has flaps and dual ailerons and dual elevators. All I did was this simple mix. For my flaps I use switch B so change that to what ever you use for flaps. Also have a mix going to gyro gain that increases the gain when flaps are down. I cant remember what settings I had in the Igyro. I think I have tailerons on it but not sure cant remember.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0812.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2139349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0811.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2139350  

Last edited by gunradd; 01-02-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
rbxbear44

Kris, thanks for this intel! So, right now I have my wings set for Flaperons and Tail set for 2 elev's. So, I think you are saying to use the Gyro as a means for running the flaps and ailerons as flaperons through the gain? I have a Demon Cortex and a iGyro 3e sitting in my shop. Are you saying to set the wings up as 2 Ail, 2 flaps and tail as 2 elev's and run everything on the wing through the gyro? Can it do that? LOL.

Man, now I am outside my zone...still have yet to use or program a gyro!!! yep...old school but want to learn.

Rb
Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rbxbear44
I am setting up a new 1/5 F-16 Skymaster and want to set it up for Flaperons and Elevons. I want to be able to dial down the Flaperon movement during regular flight but keep it in play to "clean up" the Elevons and make the turns more sharp and less "cork screw" as they typically create and higher speeds. Plus I want to do clean segmented rolls.

I have selected Flaperons for the wings and two elevators for the tail. I created another model to work on this, I tried putting "V-Tail B" as the tail and still get no mixed movement between the Flaperons and Elevons.

Is there a way to mix the two elevators (leaving them as elevators) to be Elevons, into the Flaperons?

But scratch all that...what would be the best way to set this bird up for Elevons and Flaperons together? I can start over if need be!!!

Please speak clearly...I love to fly, but am no techie dude!

Thanks!
Rex
The setup you have should work fine for flaperons. To create elevons, you should be able to mix Aileron to LEL. The DX18 uses that concept of Normal or Back mixes. Normal mixes or mixes to the right side of a control surface cause that surface to move as it normally would. For example both elevator halves would move up or down. A back mix or a mix to the Left Elevator half will cause one elevator to move up and the other to move down. What you need for Elevons is a back mix of Aileron to Left Elevator which depending on your control surface assignments will most likely be RAL (Right Aileron) to LEL (Left Elevator). You can then use a switch to enable or disable the mix and check off the trim box to allow the trim tab to affect the mix or not..

If you want the Cortex to use Elevons, perform the setup procedure with the Elevon mix enabled.
If you don't want the Cortex to use Elevons simpy perform the setup procedure with the Elevon mix disabled..

It will be up to you to decide what flight modes you want which function enabled and whether or not you want the Cortex active in that mode.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by wfield0455; 01-03-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:17 AM
gunradd

Rex here is a pic of the mix I did on my F15. Its set up same way other then sepperate flaps. This one has a cortex. I prefer the cortex for these setups.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0813.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2139523  
Old 01-03-2016, 10:41 AM
rbxbear44

Wayne, thank you! This is extremely helpful...the normal or back mixing is where I was missing it all. I tried every which way using RAL and REL as my mix channels...and got nada as far as keeping elevators active and still be elevons. Will give this a try. I am just not strong yet on Gyro programming. We have some great guys in our club that are though. I will bounce this off them too as far as using the Gyro as programming.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM
rbxbear44

Kris, perfect! That's what I needed to see. This has been a great help. Thank you so much! Hope to see you at some events this year. Planning for MS AB, JOK and SJS.

Rex
Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by gunradd
Rex here is a pic of the mix I did on my F15. Its set up same way other then sepperate flaps. This one has a cortex. I prefer the cortex for these setups.

I have to move some switches around but will put this mix on my flight mode switch as you did. Was there a mode where you cancelled out flaperons and only used Elevons? I am hearing some guys are reducing out the Flaperons and just going flaps and elevons for landing.

Sorry for all the Q's. I have always just had my F-16's with Ailerons and Elevators, no flaps...not needed. I am being told this 1/5 really needs flaps and slats.

Thanks again.
Rex
Old 01-03-2016, 05:06 PM
gunradd

No problem Rex. I don't reduce the ailerons/flaaperons with flaps down since they are what the gyro controls roll with reducing the ailerons/flapperons would make the gyro less effective.

Also if you reduce aileron the gyro won't see your roll commands and when you use the tailerons only the gyro will fight you and not let you roll. I know from experience lol scared the crap out of me.

By increasing or decreasing the 20% in that mix I posted will give you more tailerons movement. I only like them for high alpha and added roll when flapperons are down.

Last edited by gunradd; 01-03-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
rbxbear44

Got it! Good to know. Do not want a "scare the crap out of me" situation! Everything is working good now. Thanks a lot for your help.

Rex