Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy sequencer problems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy sequencer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xicoy sequencer problems

Has anyone got this unit to work via the manual, or do you just play with it until you figure things out? It seems Xicoy's end point adjustments do not allow for enough travel to even fully open my doors (it stops at 2000US I think).
It takes me about 5-10 minutes to setup the powerbox's sequencer, it is so easy & intuitive. Xicoy's seems to be either esoteric to Xicoy users, or just a PITA.. Or maybe it's me.
any thoughts/suggestions? Setup videos?
Thanks, Jay
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I had no problem with the end points making my valves function 1000 to 2000 is a normal servo travel range with my servo setup I had. I just played with it till I figured it out, eve after I figured it out it's still a pain.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:45 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks Fender. I'd been warned before I bought it I'll try swapping it for the Jetcentral sequencer & hopefully that will end my door nightmares. If the Powerbox only had a failsafe it'd be the perfect sequencer.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:34 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe you need longer servo arms or shorter horns. ?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:03 AM
BlueBus320

This unit would have for sure taken me down that path!..smh. Luckily I've already programmed my gear & doors twice with 2 other units. The only problem with Powerbox & my own 18mz program was a failsafe. I will try the Jetcentral hopefully tonight, & if that goes well, then this Xicoy unit has some serious short comings. Posted here because I was hoping I was missing something.
thanks, Jay

Last edited by BlueBus320; 04-17-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Xicoy in both my Der Jet F-35A and JL F-22 and it works perfectly! I had no qualms about using it at all...once I understood that the delays are post action in the 3 central steps. The servo end points are exactly normal as they should be. Is it possible you have one that might be faulty?
Len
Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 AM
BlueBus320

IDK, I guess that's always possible. I'm attempting to use it in my Skygate/CARF L-39. I am using a mks DS6125 on the nose door, & JR DS8411 on the mains. I need it to open doors, retract gear, then close again, opposite 3 steps for deployment. The range on my sequencer unit does not allow full operation of the gear doors, but to add insult to injury, the instructions of this unit really seem to be poorly done.
if you guys have a good hold on this unit, you could probably help the Xicoy guys (& anyone else that purchases this) out & do a supplemental set up video. If I decide to send this one back, & decipher this manual for fun, I'll do the video.
Maybe the adjustment range is not enough for the plane because of its size? IDK, but I doubt that's it.
Thanks guys, Jay
PS, maybe I'll do a vid showing my issue
Old 04-17-2016, 10:14 AM
FenderBean

Hey blue do u happen to have a futaba servo you could plug in and see what kind of throws you get?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 PM
BlueBus320

Well the Jetcentral was pretty much a breeze to setup, but still has its own issues. With only 2 door ports I had to set the mains up on a servo matcher that had independently adjustable ATVs. All works fine, but there does not seem to be a way to slow the gear doors down. It sucks to have such a nice model with phony looking high speed doors..smh. I thought Xicoy was a name I could trust, but after seeing this setup manual & tangling with this sequencer, I now feel otherwise.
So I guess asking for an electronic sequencer with 3 independently adjustable door slots, pneumatic failsafe, good intuitive step by step instructions, & a feature to slow down the door operation (basically Powerbox with a failsafe), is a lot to ask for right now

Last edited by BlueBus320; 04-17-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM
BlueBus320

No Futaba servos available Fender. I'm going to sleep on this, but I may remove the JC & go with the lighter Powerbox Royal setup & just eliminate the sequencers all together. It will operates flawlessly & realistic, but no failsafe
Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 PM
FenderBean

Blue can you put a slow in the radio? The signal still comes from the radio except during a fail safe condition. I have the air power gear door sequencer on my rebel with a servo on the door and it has speed adjustments for servo driven doors. Hard to find since they stopped making them.
thats why I like the sbus servos you can program end points and speed in the servo eliminating the need these things in the controller.

Last edited by FenderBean; 04-17-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 PM
BlueBus320

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Blue can you put a slow in the radio? The signal still comes from the radio except during a fail safe condition. I have the air power gear door sequencer on my rebel with a servo on the door and it has speed adjustments for servo driven doors. Hard to find since they stopped making them.
thats why I like the sbus servos you can program end points and speed in the servo eliminating the need these things in the controller.
I'll try it tomorrow, but I think the sequencer only get the gear operation input from your TX. I think the sequencer takes over from there, having sole control of the gear doors, but I'm not 100% sure. If I'm right though, slowing the gear signal down wouldn't help, but u never know.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:35 PM
jetmon

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello BlueBus320

When we designed the sequencer software we were only thinking in "all pneumatic" setups, but after reading your issues we decide to work on the software, we want to make it more versatile to newer systems requirements, we will use the canopy sequencer outputs for does who need them as an option, and we will put delays to each output, among other things
Unfortunately this new software will probably come to late for you but I just want to let you know that we will improve it thanks to your comments
Sorry for my terrible English
Regards
Old 04-18-2016, 07:15 PM
BlueBus320

That's awesome Juan! I have removed my Jetcentral sequencer for now & re-did the Powerbox's sequencer. Going to try to use the Xicoy for telemetry only (If I can decipher this freaking cognitive test), so I can set an alarm on my Futaba 18MZ & I'll be the failsafe for now.

Here's what my current Jetcentral sequencer set up consisted of
• JC sequencer
• Futaba MSA-10 servo matcher for extra port/ATV
• 2300mah life battery to power MSA-10 & doors
• 3 inline servo rate adjusters to slow door opperation

Like a buddy of mine said: "If my gear system gets any more complicated, it's going to be less of a headache to just leave the gear down"..lol

That setup was also beginning to pack on the extra weight. If you can make the changes you mentioned, it would eliminate all of that extra stuff, & I would for sure reinstall mine back into my L-39. In fact, it'd be my standard device for all of my planes.
would I need to send mine in for that update?
Thanks, Jay

Last edited by BlueBus320; 04-18-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Is there a "Reset" to return the Xicoy back to factory settings ?? I have this thing all confused !!! But, It might be me that confused... No, I'm holding out that it is confused not me. How the hell do I reset the thing ?? HELP !!

Danno
Old 02-26-2018, 09:25 AM
LASHMETT75
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by Len
I have the Xicoy in both my Der Jet F-35A and JL F-22 and it works perfectly! I had no qualms about using it at all...once I understood that the delays are post action in the 3 central steps. The servo end points are exactly normal as they should be. Is it possible you have one that might be faulty?
Len
Mine sequences perfect...my issue starts when the plane is turned on...after the plane is put together it always sits on the ground with gear out. I have used all 3 start up options of the sequencer and every time it turn on the jet ( Shockwave ) the nose door wants to close, thus popping the nose door servo former off. So now I unplug the nose door servo after every flight and then 10 seconds after I turn it back on I plug the servo lead back in.

Is it normal for this to happen. I really like the ALL IN ONE fail safe and sequencer. Easy to use and setup, once you update your brains firmware..LOL

James
Old 02-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LASHMETT75
Mine sequences perfect...my issue starts when the plane is turned on...after the plane is put together it always sits on the ground with gear out. I have used all 3 start up options of the sequencer and every time it turn on the jet ( Shockwave ) the nose door wants to close, thus popping the nose door servo former off. So now I unplug the nose door servo after every flight and then 10 seconds after I turn it back on I plug the servo lead back in.
You say you've tried all three power up modes, but "Immediate Action" should not cause what you're describing. My last setup I battled this quite a bit - I was trying to get the safe start modes to work in case I accidentally started with the gear switch in the opposite position, but that just always led to a collision between gear and doors when the switch was moved (no sequencing, just BAM gear and doors all at once). Ultimately I just set it to Immediate Action and if the gear is out, I ensure the transmitter switch is in Gear Down position before power on. If the gear is up, I ensure the switch is in Gear Up position first.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:49 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
Is there a "Reset" to return the Xicoy back to factory settings ?? I have this thing all confused !!! But, It might be me that confused... No, I'm holding out that it is confused not me. How the hell do I reset the thing ?? HELP !!

Danno
if you select a different telemetry brand in the menu and go back to the one your using it resets it to the orig configuration.

it took me forever to wrap my brain around it, it finally clicked with me after watch the default screen as I switched between gear up and down. I love this little unit but the programming isnt for the fain of heart.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM
LASHMETT75

Originally Posted by Auburn02
You say you've tried all three power up modes, but "Immediate Action" should not cause what you're describing. My last setup I battled this quite a bit - I was trying to get the safe start modes to work in case I accidentally started with the gear switch in the opposite position, but that just always led to a collision between gear and doors when the switch was moved (no sequencing, just BAM gear and doors all at once). Ultimately I just set it to Immediate Action and if the gear is out, I ensure the transmitter switch is in Gear Down position before power on. If the gear is up, I ensure the switch is in Gear Up position first.
I'll check again this week. But I'm pretty sure the manual references what I'm experiencing in that part of the manual. Sucks but I think it is normal
Old 02-26-2018, 07:47 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

I'll share this from a previous thread I posted to, maybe it can help you in the future... The main take-away is, make sure you have the hoses on the Jetronics valve correct regardless of what you think you understand...
Cheers,
Dan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have found that output 1 ( Gear ) will activate instantly on gear down command regardless of delay you have set in step 3. Therefore we have moved the gear to output 4 and programmed it the way you want and you can set a delay in step 3 for the gear down command to allow the doors to open and clear before the gear come down... If you are starting a set up from scratch, I put gear in output 2, doors in output 3 and 4... Here is a cheat sheet I created to put it on paper so it make sense while setting it up and a good reference. It's hard ( for me anyway ) to visulize it all from the data terminal... It gets confusing.... hope it helps...

Dan

Sorry the pic is 90 degrees.... Print it and your good...

P.S. Also make SURE that the GEAR DOWN and door positions for power-up on the tarmac are that the hoses on the Jetronics valves are on the output nipple that is away from the air input nipple. (Top left nipple looking at the valve with the air input on the right side ) And learn the valve this way. The valve can be learned either way, BUT we have found ( after many hours ) that the valve has a default/go-to action on power-up if there is a delay in signal from the radio.
In other words, on power-up the receiver sends power and signal to the sequencer but for what ever reason the sequencer delays signal but not power to the valves. As a result the valves default to air out to the top left nipple first, therfore collapsing the gear on the ground at power-up if plumbed wrong regardless of how you have learned the valves and working fine in normal conditions. Chances are Jetronics does not even realize this anomaly exist because it would not ever happen with their valves plugged straight to a receive which sends power and signal at once... Mixing two different products from two different manufactures ( Xicoy and Jetronics ), they would have no way of knowing ( or would want to know ) this problem exist... I hope this helps, It kicked our ass for many hours over several weekends before we connected all the dots... Works awesome once you get it all figured out !!... Good luck.Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by rcjetsaok; 02-26-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:58 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh yeah, what Dan said too. I took his advice there and it also helped solve most of my issues.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 AM
LASHMETT75

My issue isnt the gear moving, it's the door When the plane is turned on the door want to close which is not what I want it shouldnt move at all

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
I'll share this from a previous thread I posted to, maybe it can help you in the future... The main take-away is, make sure you have the hoses on the Jetronics valve correct regardless of what you think you understand...
Cheers,
Dan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have found that output 1 ( Gear ) will activate instantly on gear down command regardless of delay you have set in step 3. Therefore we have moved the gear to output 4 and programmed it the way you want and you can set a delay in step 3 for the gear down command to allow the doors to open and clear before the gear come down... If you are starting a set up from scratch, I put gear in output 2, doors in output 3 and 4... Here is a cheat sheet I created to put it on paper so it make sense while setting it up and a good reference. It's hard ( for me anyway ) to visulize it all from the data terminal... It gets confusing.... hope it helps...

Dan

Sorry the pic is 90 degrees.... Print it and your good...

P.S. Also make SURE that the GEAR DOWN and door positions for power-up on the tarmac are that the hoses on the Jetronics valves are on the output nipple that is away from the air input nipple. (Top left nipple looking at the valve with the air input on the right side ) And learn the valve this way. The valve can be learned either way, BUT we have found ( after many hours ) that the valve has a default/go-to action on power-up if there is a delay in signal from the radio.
In other words, on power-up the receiver sends power and signal to the sequencer but for what ever reason the sequencer delays signal but not power to the valves. As a result the valves default to air out to the top left nipple first, therfore collapsing the gear on the ground at power-up if plumbed wrong regardless of how you have learned the valves and working fine in normal conditions. Chances are Jetronics does not even realize this anomaly exist because it would not ever happen with their valves plugged straight to a receive which sends power and signal at once... Mixing two different products from two different manufactures ( Xicoy and Jetronics ), they would have no way of knowing ( or would want to know ) this problem exist... I hope this helps, It kicked our ass for many hours over several weekends before we connected all the dots... Works awesome once you get it all figured out !!... Good luck.Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by LASHMETT75; 02-27-2018 at 08:26 AM.