Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree on the price of a Bandit, and the looks of the Flash. But like with anything, opinions vary.. I LOVE the way the Bandit flies..
Old 06-06-2017, 07:57 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I should I guess clarify. I haven't flown a bandit ARF. I was turned off enough with how my Super Bandit flew that I've never had the desire to fly a Bandit ARF. The fellow that bought my super bandit loves it though.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:35 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Jeremy, I agree, you are quite weird for not liking your Bandit. (Please don't take offence, I mean this in a good way ). I remember your thread on that Bandit.. Your original paint work on it was just gorgeous.

In the context of this thread, I purchased a Maverick last year which is in line for a restoration. I really wanted an Aggressor, but couldn't find a suitable one. I think the early BVM sport jets are really god looking planes. The Trim Spectre was also a great looking model..

Much better than the current crop of enormous and lightly loaded floaters..
Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Everything seems to swing like a pendulum. Hopefully at some point the market will be saturated with bulbous sport jets and one of the manufacturers that is making more cost effective jets will decide to do something "different."
Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
Everything seems to swing like a pendulum. Hopefully at some point the market will be saturated with bulbous sport jets and one of the manufacturers that is making more cost effective jets will decide to do something "different."
I really doubt this. The trend is MONSTER jets. 200 newton or bigger engines. All the manufacturers are chasing this business. Entry level jets of 70 newton are legacy products for now. It sucks. I have a stack of Wrens to put in jets too....
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 AM
why_fly_high

Originally Posted by dw_crash
I really doubt this. The trend is MONSTER jets. 200 newton or bigger engines. All the manufacturers are chasing this business. Entry level jets of 70 newton are legacy products for now. It sucks. I have a stack of Wrens to put in jets too....
I agree for the most part but there are a bunch of K45's and K60's being sold. Lot's of Jetsmunt VT80's out there. and if the Jetsmunt 70 ever comes out it is another small engine. Seems like with all the engine options there should be more planes for them other than foamies.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 AM
why_fly_high

My K45 size jet fits in the the back of my SUV, my pickup, or my trailer assembled. It is really nice to stop by the field on the way home from work, be flying a jet in about 5 minutes. Yesterday was actually waiting for the engine to finish cool down before I could load it up in the trailer. Last flight shut down to driving off was 3 minutes. I love the way the Preceptor flies but being all balsa, cheap landing gear, etc. it is showing wear quicker than I would like. Would be nice to have a decent quality plane this size that will last longer than a a cheap arf or foamy.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My Maverick with a fully bypassed Simjet 1200, my first turbine jet. Great flier but a stall kit helped!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-59560.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2219179  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think there is a more precise flying airplane out there than a bandit. The barf is designed off of the super bandit with the larger wing but has no airbrake.

My first bandit (super balsa bandit) had a P70 in it and it was really fast!

The only difference about a bandit flight, is the landing. It likes to be nose level/to down on approach. As long as I've got a jet breathing bone in my body, I'll have a bandit in my arsenal.

And again, it's hard to keep a bandit under $10k.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

oops
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If I had a less than 100 I'd get a 1.7 T-One from Pacific. As good as the 2.2 flies the 1.7 has to fly good too

https://www.pacificrcjet.com/collect...nt=37573171340
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

My K45 size jet fits in the the back of my SUV, my pickup, or my trailer assembled. It is really nice to stop by the field on the way home from work, be flying a jet in about 5 minutes. Yesterday was actually waiting for the engine to finish cool down before I could load it up in the trailer. Last flight shut down to driving off was 3 minutes. I love the way the Preceptor flies but being all balsa, cheap landing gear, etc. it is showing wear quicker than I would like. Would be nice to have a decent quality plane this size that will last longer than a a cheap arf or foamy.
I agree with you......the smaller jets are so much easier to use. I prefer the 54mm turbine type planes.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 PM
FalconWings

You want a throw in the back seat, great flying, good looking, cheap model? pick a 1/8th F-16 from any of the 200 brands out there. Not a single one over $2K.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:23 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by FalconWings
My Maverick with a fully bypassed Simjet 1200, my first turbine jet. Great flier but a stall kit helped!!
WOW. That's some impressive work with a shoe horn!! Mavericks are not roomy inside..
Old 06-07-2017, 04:19 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

I agree for the most part but there are a bunch of K45's and K60's being sold. Lot's of Jetsmunt VT80's out there. and if the Jetsmunt 70 ever comes out it is another small engine. Seems like with all the engine options there should be more planes for them other than foamies.
All less < 72" long all fiber glass or build up (no foamy)

JHH - F-4, A-4
Black Horse - L-39, BAE Hawk
Jet Teng - 1.7 Viper, XXX
Phoenix Model - perceptor
SkyEmaster - F-15, F-18, Viper, F-9F
Sebart - Mini Avanti,
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 PM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by roger.alli
WOW. That's some impressive work with a shoe horn!! Mavericks are not roomy inside..
Gary Muller conversion kit 😁

Mr Brian Gates did the conversion, he's done a few....including a super Viper (now that one is tight!!)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 PM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by ravill
I don't think there is a more precise flying airplane out there than a bandit. The barf is designed off of the super bandit with the larger wing but has no airbrake.

My first bandit (super balsa bandit) had a P70 in it and it was really fast!

The only difference about a bandit flight, is the landing. It likes to be nose level/to down on approach. As long as I've got a jet breathing bone in my body, I'll have a bandit in my arsenal.

And again, it's hard to keep a bandit under $10k.
And that was exactly what I disliked about my super bandit. Compared to my cai raptor the bandit felt sloppy. Tons of roll coupling. Didn't stop in the roll as crisp as the raptor. And landing the bandit sucks. I expected a lot from all I had been told. I was extremely disappointed. Just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Landing a bandit is just a different technique to be learned IMO. It is VERY unforgiving of being forced onto the runway, but I always found it to be a very sweet airplane in all respects.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 PM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
And landing the bandit sucks. I expected a lot from all I had been told. I was extremely disappointed. Just my opinion.
Just to re-enforce what Doug said: Obviously your technique was wrong. Like most jets they are not trimmed for the final stages of the approach. WHY, because as you slow down you need to hang on the elevator in order to maintain the correct attitude - and then, you still need to continue to apply up elevator (whilst holding off in the flare), in order to achieve a close to stall condition at touchdown. This again will ensure the nose is in the correct attitude allowing the main wheels to touch down first. Another critical technique is to keep holding the nose off until the reduction in airspeed (and lift), causes the attitude and nose to decrease, and finally nose wheel touchdown. Only then, when you are close to taxi speed, should you release up elevator.

So many folks seem to think that as soon as an aircraft touches down it has stopped flying and they feel the need to release the control inputs.

Bouncy, Bouncy, Bounce, Broke
Old 06-07-2017, 11:46 PM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't put a link on this thread to the flying of the Evo Sting, excuse it if you have already seen it. This plane flies beautifully on between 3.2 Kg thrust (with my own Sprite turbine) and 8 Kg! landing speeds are ridiculously slow as you can see. Still waiting on my Merlin 70 which I hope will power it eventually. Looking for another small plane, probably go for a Me 163.

John
Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 AM
LGM Graphix

Originally Posted by darryltarr
Just to re-enforce what Doug said: Obviously your technique was wrong. Like most jets they are not trimmed for the final stages of the approach. WHY, because as you slow down you need to hang on the elevator in order to maintain the correct attitude - and then, you still need to continue to apply up elevator (whilst holding off in the flare), in order to achieve a close to stall condition at touchdown. This again will ensure the nose is in the correct attitude allowing the main wheels to touch down first. Another critical technique is to keep holding the nose off until the reduction in airspeed (and lift), causes the attitude and nose to decrease, and finally nose wheel touchdown. Only then, when you are close to taxi speed, should you release up elevator.

So many folks seem to think that as soon as an aircraft touches down it has stopped flying and they feel the need to release the control inputs.

Bouncy, Bouncy, Bounce, Broke
My technique was fine. I never once bounced it. The landing technique you describe is exactly how I have to land my raptor and firebird as well. Don't get me wrong I never said the bandit was a bad jet, I only said I didn't like it. I know many bandit pilots who have commented on the landing of a bandit and how even after hundreds of flights they still get bit once in a while. I was disappointed in the bandit. That doesn't mean it's a bad jet. It just wasn't for me. The arf is probably a better all around jet than the super bandit (mine was the composite) but it's still a very expensive airplane. I have an old bobcat xl that I really enjoy, I have a kingcat that I'm amazed I haven't blown the wings off of, so it's not like I'm anti bvm. I even just picked up an old original viper. I just really didn't like the bandit and that's ok. We don't all have to like the same airplane.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:53 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

My technique was fine. I never once bounced it. The landing technique you describe is exactly how I have to land my raptor and firebird as well. Don't get me wrong I never said the bandit was a bad jet, I only said I didn't like it. We don't all have to like the same airplane.
I apologize for my assumption - it was wrong of me.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
I took a Maverick and converted from DF to turbine with a P60. The issue of having a smaller jet is the wing loading, as everyone is talking about on here. I guess that is why the manufactures are coming out with foamie turbines. On the Maverick, I still have a set of saddle tanks that I will sell. The guy I sold the jet converted it to electric. Heck of a life for the airframe.

Name:	Maverick and I - 2-E.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	2219269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1357.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	2219270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet intakes.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	2219271   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1468.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	2219272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1953.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2219273  

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 06-08-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:52 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I took a Maverick and converted from DF to turbine with a P60. The issue of having a smaller jet is the wing loading, as everyone is talking about on here. I guess that is why the manufactures are coming out with foamie turbines. On the Maverick, I still have a set of saddle tanks that I will sell. The guy I sold the jet converted it to electric. Heck of a life for the airframe.
More pictures.

Name:	DSC_1653.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	2219274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1654.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2219275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1945.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	993.0 KB
ID:	2219276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1948.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2219277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1562.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	2219278  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 PM
Doug Cronkhite

My technique was fine. I never once bounced it. The landing technique you describe is exactly how I have to land my raptor and firebird as well. Don't get me wrong I never said the bandit was a bad jet, I only said I didn't like it. I know many bandit pilots who have commented on the landing of a bandit and how even after hundreds of flights they still get bit once in a while. I was disappointed in the bandit. That doesn't mean it's a bad jet. It just wasn't for me. The arf is probably a better all around jet than the super bandit (mine was the composite) but it's still a very expensive airplane. I have an old bobcat xl that I really enjoy, I have a kingcat that I'm amazed I haven't blown the wings off of, so it's not like I'm anti bvm. I even just picked up an old original viper. I just really didn't like the bandit and that's ok. We don't all have to like the same airplane.
Clearly you've forgotten this is the internet, and if we don't agree on something we're mortal enemies!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.