Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:54 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VK, we are recommending that Secondary receiver be plugged directly into CB200 RX2. SO the CP will only have a wire in port b(in) and 6 (out). and a jumper wire for power.

for data, In my case, I have a Rex 7 as a backup rx, so I have an expander plugged in it, with the CB200 ext plugged into the expander along with a MUI30. all this runs through he secondary receiver whilst the airplane is running on the primary R3 through the CP serially.. Its working perfectly.

we will look at Pauls data file and see what we can discover..

There is also ZERO issues with the umbilical setup.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:06 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Danny,

You have mail!

Many thanks for the follow-up.

Paul
Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 AM
ERRC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
Well, I got bit by the Cortex Pro dual serial data stream lockout issue today. I have had 40+ successful flights on my Ultra Flash with Jeti CB200 and dual R3/RSW receivers running through the Pro with no issues, until the second flight today.

I will admit that I haven't updated yet to the v1.4/1400 s/w as I only saw that notice today, and as I have never had problems and fly with repeatably good signal strength, I thought the risk was worth taking today, and planned to update tomorrow.

Luckily, the model went into failsafe and the motor shut down as I was pulling off my taxi-tank just prior to entering the runway. One minute later and it could have all ended in tears. 2-way comms between the Tx and the model was lost as the ECU telemetry data was flashing on the Tx, indicating that it was not being updated. Both receivers were reporting a 9/9/100% strength and quality - that link directly between the receivers and the Tx was still live.

Whilst the model was still powered and in full failsafe, I disconnected RX1 from the Cortex - no change - still in failsafe. I then connected RX1 directly to the CB200 and I immediately regained control of the model as it came out of failsafe.

To me, this proves that the Cortex Pro had locked out and stopped 2-way communication between both receivers and the Central Box.

As the v1.4/1400 s/w update has been stated to fix a rare LOW signal strength/ quality issue, I would contend that whilst Bavarian may have found an issue that was fixed, that the true root-cause of a HIGH signal strength/ quality shutdown has still not been found or fixed. I must have at least 10hrs of powered time on my Ultra Flash with the Cortex Pro (based upon engine hours) and have never seen this or any other issue before, so some complex set of conditions must have aligned today to cause the issue.

Along with updating the Cortex Pro to v1.4/1400, I will bypass the gyro on my back-up Rx2, and connect it directly to the Central Box, providing an independent link to the model. The CB will only switch to the backup Rx2 if the signal drops from Rx1, so loss of the gyro inputs to me is acceptable in this multiple failure case.

Looking forward to seeing the root-cause analysis and fix for this one.

Paul

Similar experiences. Have you got E-mail adress?

Mine is [email protected]
Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 AM
Looping31

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are we sure that in the case Secondary receiver would have been directly plugged in CB200 Rx2 port, bypassing the CortexPro, it would have avoid lockout, since Rx's signals were indication good 9/9/100% ?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:13 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Looping31
Are we sure that in the case Secondary receiver would have been directly plugged in CB200 Rx2 port, bypassing the CortexPro, it would have avoid lockout, since Rx's signals were indication good 9/9/100% ?
Yes, if the CB does not see data on RX1 it will switch to RX2.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 AM
F1 Rocket

Originally Posted by ERRC
Similar experiences. Have you got E-mail adress?

Mine is [email protected]
[email protected]
Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 AM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
VK, we are recommending that Secondary receiver be plugged directly into CB200 RX2. SO the CP will only have a wire in port b(in) and 6 (out). and a jumper wire for power.

for data, In my case, I have a Rex 7 as a backup rx, so I have an expander plugged in it, with the CB200 ext plugged into the expander along with a MUI30. all this runs through he secondary receiver whilst the airplane is running on the primary R3 through the CP serially.. Its working perfectly.

we will look at Pauls data file and see what we can discover..

There is also ZERO issues with the umbilical setup.
I believe plugging RX2 directly to the CB200 provides a reliable link. I'm choosing not to use this option as I don't want the flight characteristics of my Ultra Flash to be changing throughout the flight. My Q values have not been the strongest and I feel I'm more susceptible to the switching...in this case the "feel" of the airplane would change. I love the Pro and will continue to follow the issue. For now I'm using tried and tested standard Cortex's.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:32 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Yes, if the CB does not see data on RX1 it will switch to RX2.
I just finished bench testing it yesterday with various failure modes.. In all cases it switched to RX2 port.

So.. If you are going to go that route for now, the only thing extra to do, is to turn off the cortex pro sometime, and trim the model quickly.. this way the feel really won't change a lot for a few seconds it is on RX2. If you are pulling on the sticks when it happens, the CP isn't really doing a lot anyway, but the CP can hide a model being little out of trim.. What you might feel is the sensitivity increase. But if you originally put some expo in, that should be ok.

I use a switch to disable any gyro.. 3 ways in the Jeti. One is to use the trim function on the gain.. the other is to free mix gain to gain at -100%, and the final is simply to put the gain channel on a knob or switch. I use the trim function, or the mix(when i have an Mspeed reducing gain at high speed).

The standard setup with the umbilical like the original still works superbly.. the only thing you theoretically give up is the poly fuses. which take a direct short to trigger. something that I have never had happen, and only seen once..

A lot of people are looking at this issue.. stay tuned. update to TX4.23 and CP1.4 when you can
Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Damn! Just fried my CB200. Misspinned when doing the Cortex Pro software update and Rx2 to CB. Does Esprit fix them. I suspect it is a blown fuse.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Damn! Just fried my CB200. Misspinned when doing the Cortex Pro software update and Rx2 to CB. Does Esprit fix them. I suspect it is a blown fuse.
When I did the same thing to mine I opened it up and it was FRIED.. Burned etch, etc, repaired or not I would never fly it again. Esprit used to say they had a 50% replacement cost for Jeti gear, even if it was crash damage so maybe they would sell you a new one half price ? I've been meaning to call them myself and ask but never seem to get around to it. If you find out about this please post what you find here..

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:29 PM
tp777fo

Im really pissed. The Cortex Pro has been nothing but trouble. I couldnt get it to work in my JR stuff, and now the Jeti troubles. I finally got the 1.4 update done and when I put it back in the jet I couldnt get it to work. Not worth risking my airplane so I I just took the thing out and will fly just like I have for years....gyro less.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:04 PM
F1 Rocket

Hi Tom,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Contact Esprit and they will replace the CB at the 50% crash discount. FYI to everyone, Be very careful connecting the leads to ports 4/5/and 6 of the Cortex Pro. It is easy to get the connector one or two pins off and create a short that can damage the Central Box. Also, never connect anything when the system is powered.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:22 PM
JSF-TC

This damage has been done multiple times, and will continue to be done, until Bavarian change the case design to prevent it, on the Pro and the heli equivalent unit.

It is that cutout in the case for the 3-pin connector that causes the issue.

Until Bavarian change the case design, install a dummy connector across the pins of the unused port above the ones that go to the CB.

Paul
Old 08-15-2017, 04:23 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
I may be thinking wrong, but doesn't 5 have the out and not port 6? So you have B IN and 5 OUT ? Then RX 2 plugs direct into the CB under RX 2?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As for frying electronic parts: look 2 times plug it once..
i did the recomended setup.
and all works fine as before, feels safer to be honnest.
knowing that there is a failsafe now without third party electronics can or would block signals.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I have done this as well with mine, but I'm hoping for Deamon will be able to fix this issue, I got these because it was a clean install (4 wires.....now 5) with Jeti for me it's no longer the case, this is a work around for a very serious issue.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM
F1 Rocket

The factory has released FW 1.4/1400 to correct the reported issues. As with many things in the Jeti system there are many ways to connect the Cortex Pro. The option to connect RX2 directly to the CB is just that, an option. It is not a "work around".
Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM
AEROSHELDON

I am going to keep using mine as I have been, I haven't had any issues. Both Rx's into the Cortex Pro.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:20 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
I am going to keep using mine as I have been, I haven't had any issues. Both Rx's into the Cortex Pro.
i had 8 hours flight time then full lockout at start lucky enough
we did not apply throttle yet , so yes feel free to disregard any word comming from demon and their distributors.
your a dealer maybe you should inform about the firmware upgrade and recomand the bypass until all is solved?.
i did the last recomendation.
better safe then sorry..
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM
AEROSHELDON

Originally Posted by digitech
we did not apply throttle yet , so yes feel free to disregard any word comming from demon and their distributors.
your a dealer maybe you should inform about the firmware upgrade and recomand the bypass until all is solved?.
better safe then sorry..
Um, Demon says the update (that I installed) will fix it. So are you saying I should not trust Demon that it is actually fixed?

See POST 292.... ??
Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Um, Demon says the update (that I installed) will fix it. So are you saying I should not trust Demon that it is actually fixed?

See POST 292.... ??
post 283
Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM
AEROSHELDON

I'll stick with Danny on this one, but point taken. They seem to be split amongst themselves. Please allow me to enjoy my hobby as I see fit without bashing me though, and I will do the same for you.

Have a good one!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JSF-TC
This damage has been done multiple times, and will continue to be done, until Bavarian change the case design to prevent it, on the Pro and the heli equivalent unit.

It is that cutout in the case for the 3-pin connector that causes the issue.

Until Bavarian change the case design, install a dummy connector across the pins of the unused port above the ones that go to the CB.

Paul
All Cortex Pros supplied by us already include an Emcotec dummy plug for this very reason but it is easy to make one yourself. This is a cheap way to protect your gyro from misaligned pins.

Edited to add: The loop in the photo is NOT a wire. It is non-conductive plastic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JR-dummy-plug-10pcs-A86019_b_0.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2228124  

Last edited by siclick33; 08-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM
JSF-TC

Originally Posted by digitech
better safe then sorry..

Ditto - I had at least 10hrs on mine, and decided to take the risk (albeit with the earlier v1.3 s/w) and I got bit - luckily whilst still on the ground (post #273).

I have since updated the s/w to v1.4/1400 AND removed RX2 from the gyro, going direct to the CB.

When Bavarian first released v1.4 they made a big deal about how the issue was only linked to a rare, low signal strength/ quality Rx switching problem (post #271). Now, my lockout was with both RX at 9/9/100%, so I can deduce one of 2 things;

1) Bavarian found a code issue and can absolutely link that issue to a LOW signal quality/ strength condition, which to me then implies that they have NOT fixed the underlying high signal strength/ quality lockout issue that I (at least) had, or;
2) The issue that Bavarian found and then fixed with the code is not related to signal strength/ quality, and the fix is good for all scenarios.

Personally, until Bavarian come out and update us on what they have found, I will continue to bypass the gyro with Rx2, as I would lean more towards option 1) above being the case, and that another fix is needed.

Paul
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM
tp777fo

I fixed mine...took it out. I didnt trust that the problem with passing the RX data to the CB wouldnt lock the entire system up even with RX2 directly connected to the CB. I found I like the way the jet flies better without than with. Wont use a Cortex Pro again until the problem is found and fixed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.