Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex PRO is here!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:14 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkj
thanks sir. I will proceed as described.
One last question please.the CB 200 has 15 Servo ports which I am using every darn one for servos and throttle. How to run the power lead to port 4 on the CP?
Y-connector off a port used for a low power device like the ECU throttle input.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

After an expended period with my Cortex Pro on the workbench due to its past issues I am about to get it out and install it in my new BVM F-16. But I am still not 100% confident in its performance. I have re-read this entire thread today, will recheck all my firmware updates and try it again. I will however only run RX 1 through the CP. I will run RX2 directly to the CB200. Can someone give me some good vibes that this thing is now working as it is supposed to. Thanks!

Last edited by tp777fo; 02-13-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Can someone give me some good vibes that this thing is now working as it is supposed to. Thanks!

Tom, I have six CP's installed and constantly flown. They have worked flawlessly since day one. Have never had any issue.
The feeling of CP is second to none ... effective and transparent. (I had other brands installed prior to the CP, so I can feel the difference ).
I have them connected as you are planning to (just for peace of mind).

Jack
Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Looping31

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

. Can someone give me some good vibes that this thing is now working as it is supposed to. Thanks!
I’m flying intensively 3 big models fitted with cortex pro and CB200. Everything is up-to-date and I have no problem to report. I plug Rx2 directly in the CB200 too ;-)
Arnaud
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM
tp777fo

Jack,
My 16 will be set up just as yours, complete with a Cheeta 160. What gain setting do you fly with on your 16?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Jack Diaz

Jack,
My 16 will be set up just as yours, complete with a Cheeta 160. What gain setting do you fly with on your 16?
Tom, I have my gyro gain on the left slider (DS-16). Up is full gain, and down is zero gain.
I adjust the max gain value so that the aileron moves about 1/16" to 1/8" up and down when I lift the wing. That should be a good starting point. If it's too much, reduce it via the slider and reprogram the value. I like to fly with the slider at the full up position ... no guessing.
I program a 10 points higher gain with gear down.
If I have reduced the gain during flight, a transmitter voice reminds me to go to full gain for landing when I lower the gear (or flaps).
To make the slider able to lower the gain to zero (gyro off), program a "negative" value identical to the programed gain, in the gyro "tuning" window (left slider is P6 btw).
I can upload a pic of the screen if necessary.

Jack
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Jack Diaz

Tom
My F-16 is Skymaster. My son's is BVM, like yours.
I will ask him to give you the actual values he's using.

Jack
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

I currently have a Cortex Pro installed in my Viper Jet. I'm using one of the Cortex channels to stabilize the nose steering. When I retract the gear the steering servo is disabled thru the retract switch in my Jeti DS 16 but the Cortex still stabilizes the servo. Is there any way to disable stabilization on one channel while the gear is retracted?

I didn't realize at first it was still stabilized when retracted and the servo jammed and ruined the servo. Luckily I have sufficiently large flight packs so the stalled servo didn't take the plane down!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 AM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DCGayhart
I currently have a Cortex Pro installed in my Viper Jet. I'm using one of the Cortex channels to stabilize the nose steering. When I retract the gear the steering servo is disabled thru the retract switch in my Jeti DS 16 but the Cortex still stabilizes the servo. Is there any way to disable stabilization on one channel while the gear is retracted?

I didn't realize at first it was still stabilized when retracted and the servo jammed and ruined the servo. Luckily I have sufficiently large flight packs so the stalled servo didn't take the plane down!
YES... Copy BANK 1 to BANK 2 so both banks are "Gyro" NOT HEAD HOLD (you can do that on the PC software). Then in bank number two (2) set the gain for steering to zero (0)....Then set your Gyro control on Transmitter to "Separate modes" flight mode depended. set your cruise mode to access Bank two (2 - Green light)) where steering gain is zero. Leave Take off mode and Landing mode to access Bank 1(amber light)

David
Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
YES... Copy BANK 1 to BANK 2 so both banks are "Gyro" NOT HEAD HOLD (you can do that on the PC software). Then in bank number two (2) set the gain for steering to zero (0)....Then set your Gyro control on Transmitter to "Separate modes" flight mode depended. set your cruise mode to access Bank two (2 - Green light)) where steering gain is zero. Leave Take off mode and Landing mode to access Bank 1(amber light)

David
Thanks
Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New Firmware and Software available from Bavarian Demon, the main thing it gives is dual serial inputs when driving servos DIRECTLY from the Cortex Pro.. the Dual serial throughput is unchanged.

V 2.0 Update-Details (Release 25.04.2018):
Supporting the DualRX feature. See manual and software info for details.
  • Text field for device name, for easy identification via bluetooth / app.
Note:
This software will automatically update any device (AXON and CORTEXpro) on firmware < V2.0 to V2.0 when connected. Any previous configuration will stay unchanged.
  • „DualRX“ option (serial input only): via button in the software/app, a second and redundant receiver can now also be added to port A, when PWM ouput (servos directly connected to the unit) is selected. So far, this was only possible using serial I/O in combination with a servo distribution box. The corresponding software and app packages featuring the switch function are to follow until mid of May. Manual V1.6 available for download.
  • Programming via bluetooth and app integrated. The B module, available separate, to follow until mid of May.
  • Channel-clipping (channel signal limits) ehanced on all channels (stabilized and non-stabilized) from 110% to 125%.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:20 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Any one have pics or a diagram of a pro set up with one of the new Specktum 20ch receiver?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:33 PM
tp777fo

I've got a strange one. Installed my CP in a BVM F-16. Setup was fine all the lights blinked as advertised but when I did the control setting I didnt get a double bump on any control surface. I got the single blink,the double blind and the multiple blink. The flight controls work as they should but there is NO stabilization. Move the nose nothing...move the wings nothing. Suggestions?
Old 04-28-2018, 02:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Gyro gain actually affecting the gyro?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:50 PM
gooseF22

I've got a strange one. Installed my CP in a BVM F-16. Setup was fine all the lights blinked as advertised but when I did the control setting I didnt get a double bump on any control surface. I got the single blink,the double blind and the multiple blink. The flight controls work as they should but there is NO stabilization. Move the nose nothing...move the wings nothing. Suggestions?
I dont use the blinks.. I use the bumps.. during setup.. jumper in, turn it on, wait... bump bump.. Ail Rt, bump, ail left, bump bump..Push, bump, pull bump bump, Rud Rt, bump, R left, bump bump, move gain.. bumpbumpbump, flashing green..

If the sequence doesn't go this way start over.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:51 PM
gooseF22

If the gain light is red, you are not picking up the gain channel
Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
There's an idea
Old 04-29-2018, 05:06 AM
tp777fo

Originally Posted by gooseF22
I do have a a red light...... when the gyro switch in my "off" position. Yellow in the next two 20% & 60%. As I said, all the setup worked just as advertised except the "bump" and servos responding to airplane movement in the dampening mode. Speaking with Danny I went back and looked at my servo travel. It was less (50-55%) than I thought it was (85%). I will increase the travel when I get a chance to work on it again and try again. I figured it was some operator induced error and may be right.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:15 PM
tp777fo

Success! Revmoved everything and started from scratch. Found that RX2 was not visible to CP. With the initial setup I only got 1 blue flashing light. After reset I got 2 blue flashes. The rest of the setup per the book. Thanks Danny for your support. Hope to test fly Wed.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:33 AM
Andrew Bailey

Some advice, please. I am planning to install a CP in an Ultra Flash. I intend to use the 2 x serial input options with one Jeti Rex 10 and a Rex 3 plugged into the CP. I will drive servos for the stabilized channels and throttle directly out of the CP. The other functions (flaps, gear, steering, brakes) taken from the Rex 10. That way, I figure that if I lost the primary Rx I would still have flight control and worst case could do a gear up, flaps up landing. Of course, if the CP locks up, then I am truly going to have a bad day! I don't really want to go down the CB200 route as I figure that this introduces additional complexity and uncertainty.

What I would like some help with is understanding what the current feeling is about the reliability of the CP. Since the 1.5 update came out I have not seen any reports of lockout . Is this because nobody is relying entirely on the CP or has the problem been resolved. I'm just trying to assess the level of risk here and feel like I could do with some help. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:50 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by Andrew Bailey
Some advice, please. I am planning to install a CP in an Ultra Flash. I intend to use the 2 x serial input options with one Jeti Rex 10 and a Rex 3 plugged into the CP. I will drive servos for the stabilized channels and throttle directly out of the CP. The other functions (flaps, gear, steering, brakes) taken from the Rex 10. That way, I figure that if I lost the primary Rx I would still have flight control and worst case could do a gear up, flaps up landing. Of course, if the CP locks up, then I am truly going to have a bad day! I don't really want to go down the CB200 route as I figure that this introduces additional complexity and uncertainty.

What I would like some help with is understanding what the current feeling is about the reliability of the CP. Since the 1.5 update came out I have not seen any reports of lockout . Is this because nobody is relying entirely on the CP or has the problem been resolved. I'm just trying to assess the level of risk here and feel like I could do with some help. Thanks.
Andrew,

I have been using CP on firmware 1.5 in several of my jets and they are very solid with no issues. They simple configure and work great. For your purpose you need to upgrade to firmware 2.0. (If not already) so you can plug servos directly into outputs 1-6

David
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Andrew Bailey

Thanks David. Yes, I have 2.0 installed and it's all working as expected on the bench. Good to hear that you have had no issues - that's the way it should be !
Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by Andrew Bailey
Thanks David. Yes, I have 2.0 installed and it's all working as expected on the bench. Good to hear that you have had no issues - that's the way it should be !
You will be pleased with CP performance
Old 05-21-2018, 07:53 AM
JoeJr1485

Can any confirm that we still have to connect one RX directly to the CB in order for everything to work properly? Or with the new firmware did that fix the issues?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Bob_B

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeJr1485
Can any confirm that we still have to connect one RX directly to the CB in order for everything to work properly? Or with the new firmware did that fix the issues?
You can make both serial connections directly to the CB200.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.