Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Burn bans and rc turbines.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Burn bans and rc turbines.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 AM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As of yesterday, ARCA has announced that after consulting with the AMA that turbines will be allowed to fly year-round regardless of a burn ban. It will be officially entered into the rules of the club, so this long running problem seems to have finally been solved.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To bad it took all the turbines leaving to make the point!

TB
Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by JackL
As of yesterday, ARCA has announced that after consulting with the AMA that turbines will be allowed to fly year-round regardless of a burn ban. It will be officially entered into the rules of the club, so this long running problem seems to have finally been solved.
It also seems the AMA is not going to let them do the speed event. Their FB page says the following:

"
UPDATE- after speaking with the AMA and the District 8 Jet Pilots Association, we "are not" going to have any type of TURBINE powered speed runs, due to AMA rules and safety concerns as these aircraft are capable of well over 200 mph passes and the AMA rule limits TURBINE powered aircraft to 200 mph."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AustinRC/
Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
To bad it took all the turbines leaving to make the point!

TB
They stepped up AS A Club, and unanimously decided to lift the unwritten but agreed upon ban they have had in place for a while after talking at length with an AMA rep in regards to safety and coverage in what they believed to be a more than average chance of incident. That is the Clubs way of showing they want turbines there, and in regards to the speed contest,,Gotta keep in mind, the flyer for the speed contest was done to bring jets and public.interest to the club, the fella that made it is a good guy, but he is not a turbine pilot, and did not know the safety rules we all do, he was directly contacted by a member of the JPO who shared the info with him, and once informed He REMOVED ALL documentation promoting top speed .and fastest jet. Cant be too hard on anyone who just did not know all the regulations regarding this side of the Hobby. Also need to put aside the hard feelings and let the past stay in the past, move on and try to have some fun.
The absolute truth of the matter is this,,as hobbyist we need to stay safe, We Also need to support all of our local clubs, supporting them is the only way to keep them there.
To those that say, they just want the revenue a jet event can produce,,,,Sure they do, we all do, most clubs can barely scrape by on just member dues.
To all the guys in this area who can attend, I would encourage you to support this club, I will. We need to keep all the turbine capable fields functioning, and supporting them is the only way that will happen.

The original post on turbines during a burn ban,,well, in these 4 pages you read about a club that changed.

Last edited by raron455; 02-14-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:42 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys,

The JPO District 8 Representative Ron Schwarzkopf had a very cordial conversation with the ARCA club President and discussed the turbine speed event in the context of the AMA safety code for turbine operations. As Ronnie has discussed, they were not really aware of the rules and potential repercussions of a turbine speed event and have wisely decided not to hold it.

It was an innocent mistake which has been rectified and they have also appeared to resolve the burn ban issue. I would also encourage all turbine flyers who can go (recognizing the Tucson event seems to be the same weekend) and support the club. While you are there, thank the club members for holding the event and working with the turbine community. We need all the clubs to do that that we can get.

Bob Klenke
JPO President

blatant plug - now is the time to renew your JPO membership, or join if you are not currently a member. Remember, our primary goal is to support your right to fly jets (turbine and EDF) and promote that aspect of the hobby. You can join/renew online at www.jetpilots.org

Last edited by rhklenke; 02-14-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
They stepped up AS A Club, and unanimously decided to lift the unwritten but agreed upon ban they have had in place for a while after talking at length with an AMA rep in regards to safety and coverage in what they believed to be a more than average chance of incident. That is the Clubs way of showing they want turbines there, and in regards to the speed contest,,Gotta keep in mind, the flyer for the speed contest was done to bring jets and public.interest to the club, the fella that made it is a good guy, but he is not a turbine pilot, and did not know the safety rules we all do, he was directly contacted by a member of the JPO who shared the info with him, and once informed He REMOVED ALL documentation promoting top speed .and fastest jet. Cant be too hard on anyone who just did not know all the regulations regarding this side of the Hobby. Also need to put aside the hard feelings and let the past stay in the past, move on and try to have some fun.
The absolute truth of the matter is this,,as hobbyist we need to stay safe, We Also need to support all of our local clubs, supporting them is the only way to keep them there.
To those that say, they just want the revenue a jet event can produce,,,,Sure they do, we all do, most clubs can barely scrape by on just member dues.
To all the guys in this area who can attend, I would encourage you to support this club, I will. We need to keep all the turbine capable fields functioning, and supporting them is the only way that will happen.

The original post on turbines during a burn ban,,well, in these 4 pages you read about a club that changed.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Well said Ronnie!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:47 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Well I'm going to eat a little crow here, I like mine well done. Tastes just chicken

Had a lengthily talk with Randy today. I think it was productive
Randy Larsen and Austin Club (ARCA) has taken quite a bit of heat lately. And I sorry to say that some of that heat has been applied by me.
I want to apologize to Randy and the club becoming a keyboard warrior instead of calling the people involved to offer some assistance in helping get this event off the ground. After Randy talked to the AMA and JPO the club got on the right path to a successful event.
I'm not going into the issues here as you know they are and they have been resolved.
I will be joining ARCA at the next club meeting and encourage other jet pilots to do the same.
I'm sorry that I won't be able to attend the jet event on Mar 18th as I have committed to go to Florida Jets that weekend. Also there is an event in Tucson the same weekend as a number of the Dallas people attend that. Maybe next year ARCA can choose a different date as Florida Jets/Tucson are long established events.

Last edited by bcovish; 02-15-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
TonyBuilder

Right on Bob, I agree with this and hope we all learned from this and work together to support the hobby we are so passionate about. I will join in and do what I can and hope others do to.

TB
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I was emailed a link to this thread because of the content and how it related to me 12 or 13 years ago. I was the first "tony" that had the same dealing with ARCA. Even made the efforts to take the political route with Roger and some other Jet guys in an effort to create change. Got the same heat, as I recall the club was making efforts to ban me.

Prior to the burn ban era, incredibly, there was a morning at a Jet event that the news showed up to record jet flying for a bit they were doing later that day. Some other jet, maybe a kingcat or something the engine wouldn't start, don't remember the reason. While they were filming this jet not starting, I just walked over to my Eurofighter and fired it up. Cameras instantly turned my way. I taxi out to the runway, and cloud cover is literally like 100 foot. Total cloud coverage. I take off and immediately adding down elevator and I'm turning and burning this thing inside the tree line at ARCA because you can't see the trees across the field because of the FOG. So I come across center runway slow and high alpha, and my spotter says do a roll! I'm thinking I'm going too slow to do a roll and I'm only 10 to 15 foot off the deck. In the moment, I DO IT! And the darn thing follows my command and comes out of it and the camera guy starts screaming " I GOT IT, I GOT IT". Meanwhile I'm at a pucker factor of 10, bring the jet around and land.

Something like 300 people showed up and paid to watch jets later that day after that spot with an interview with me ran on TV.

I promoted Jets in every way I could imagine for lots of years. What ARCA put us through with that burn ban stuff was insufferable. And I for one am patiently waiting for all those old guys to die off, or can't walk or talk anymore before I would be willing to go back out there.

Tony, I feel your pain man, I lived it. I agree it is a huge step that JPO and AMA could change their minds, but it is more believable to me that it was pressure, rather than a realization they were just wrong.

Good luck to all the good guys, you know who you are....

Sean