Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

*** CG Wizard *** by Digitech

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

*** CG Wizard *** by Digitech

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Smith
Sorry for the sarcasm. One note of importance. Making sure an aircraft is "level" is NOT necessarily a requirement. As has been said it should be placed on the scales in "Flight attitude" which may not always be "level".
At work our full scale aircraft is required to be balanced at 4 degrees nose down. That is how it flies in cruise flight, not level. However, most model jets will appear to fly level so that is an acceptable way to start. You must lift the tail of a tail dragger so that the aircraft is on the scales in "flight attitude". Why? Because if the tail is low on the scales, the weight bias is aft and affects the calculations. tail draggers do not fly around with their tails real low like on the ground. The CG should be verified for "flight attitude".

Well Said! keep the sarcasm comming , all products that work where once based on sarcasm ;-)
Old 06-03-2017, 03:49 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sandor,

No pressure, any idea when the inch and ounce software is coming?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM
pcskyhi

Originally Posted by ScaleCrazy
Has anyone ballanced there plane with the CG Wizard. Then confirm with a standard ballancer. The three planes I ballanced with the wizard were nose heavy on a standard ballancer. What were your results?
I recently received my CG Wizard and it went immediately to a friend who is currently working on a Carf Ultra Flash. He did the same thing you did, He used the CG Wizard first and then used his standard balancer. on the standard balancer he came out very nose heavy. My friend does not trust the CG Wizard now and is sticking with old faithful (Dreamworks Model Products LLC).
You never said anything more about this and I did not see where it was addressed anywhere else. Which one are you trusting, old school or new technology? Did you get in contact with Digitech, and if so, what did they have to say? Did you ever get the CG Wizard and the standard balancer to match up?
Has anyone flown their aircraft since using the CG Wizard? The incorrect CG can make a maiden flight tough. I think it is important that this is addressed. when I get the CG wizard back I will take one of my jets we CG on my friend's standard balancer and put it on the CG Wizard to see what we get as an result.

Last edited by pcskyhi; 06-05-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by pcskyhi
I recently received my CG Wizard and it went immediately to a friend who is currently working on a BVM Ultra Flash. He did the same thing you did, He used the CG Wizard first and then used his standard balancer. on the standard balancer he came out very nose heavy. My friend does not trust the CG Wizard now and is sticking with old faithful (Dreamworks Model Products LLC).
You never said anything more about this and I did not see where it was addressed anywhere else. Which one are you trusting, old school or new technology? Did you get in contact with Digitech, and if so, what did they have to say? Did you ever get the CG Wizard and the standard balancer to match up?
Has anyone flown their aircraft since using the CG Wizard? The incorrect CG can make a maiden flight tough. I think it is important that this is addressed. when I get the CG wizard back I will take one of my jets we CG on my friend's standard balancer and put it on the CG Wizard to see what we get as an result.
we have heard only positive results personally i demonstrated it lots of times.
as you say nose heavy? What is the difference?
sure you are using it correctly? .
tell us the difference how
much of ? Pictures of setup and data?.
most problems i have seen where incorrect measurements.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 AM
ScaleCrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently received my CG Wizard and it went immediately to a friend who is currently working on a BVM Ultra Flash. He did the same thing you did, He used the CG Wizard first and then used his standard balancer. on the standard balancer he came out very nose heavy. My friend does not trust the CG Wizard now and is sticking with old faithful (Dreamworks Model Products LLC).
yes I get nose heavy planes with the CG Wizard. I checked 3 different planes with all three CG machines. My buddy's Xicoy , EZ Ballancer , and CG Wizard. The Xicoy and the EZ Ballancer seam to be close in ballance results. The CG Wizard is nose heavy every time. That being said even at the nose heavy results the plane is still flyable. ( it's with in tollarance) I'll play with the Wizard again and see if I can get closer results.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 AM
pcskyhi

Originally Posted by digitech
we have heard only positive results personally i demonstrated it lots of times.
as you say nose heavy? What is the difference?
sure you are using it correctly? .
tell us the difference how
much of ? Pictures of setup and data?.
most problems i have seen where incorrect measurements.
I was not with him when he did it, however, he said he did the measurements several times, one time following the video step by step. The Ultra flash CG is 230 mm from leading edge.The measurements were 813mm from mains to nose and CG to the mains was 74mm. The app initially showed the CG at 69. My friend moved his batteries/equipment around to get 74mm. When he put it on his traditional CG machine it was very nose heavy. ScaleCrazy stated in post #167 he had three aircraft that were nose heavy after using the CG Wizard but no one ever replied to his post nor did he say he rectified or figured out what was going on. I will talk to him and see if he will take pictures but he has already changed his set up so that it balances on his traditional CG machine since we have both have had great success with it. We are hoping to have great success with the CG Wizard. If You balance on the CG Wizard shouldn't it balance as well on the traditional CG machine?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the difference people are seeing is because of the zero measurement. After getting the distance from the nose to the mains, the zero point should be the main axles and not the back of the sensor.
There is no other reason for this device not to work and match up to the other methods of balancing. If the scales are consistent (they don't even have to be accurate) then it should work. I use the other brand and my planes match the hang balancing method every time.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 AM
ScaleCrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
I think the difference people are seeing is because of the zero measurement. After getting the distance from the nose to the mains, the zero point should be the main axles and not the back of the sensor.
There is no other reason for this device not to work and match up to the other methods of balancing. If the scales are consistent (they don't even have to be accurate) then it should work. I use the other brand and my planes match the hang balancing method every time.
I feel the same way. It has to be in the measurements. We were instructed to measure from the back sensor on mailings to back sensor on nose. Which should be the same at center of mains to center of nose....
Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 AM
causeitflies

Yes that's the easiest way to get that measurement and is correct. But then move the zero point to the actual main axle center point to find the CG.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

I used the wizard to check my balance as the manual and videos show I removed the 4oz of weight from the nose to achieve balance.

I have the cable port of the scales facing the center hub, not sure this matters but thought I would mention this as It places the type on front scale behind the nose wheel.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:49 AM
digitech

measuring from back to back of the sensors is the same as measuring from axle to axle.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM
causeitflies

measuring from back to back of the sensors is the same as measuring from axle to axle.
Yes but measuring from the back of the sensor to the CG is different than measuring from the axle to the CG.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:01 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not with him when he did it, however, he said he did the measurements several times, one time following the video step by step. The Ultra flash CG is 230 mm from leading edge.The measurements were 813mm from mains to nose and CG to the mains was 74mm. The app initially showed the CG at 69. My friend moved his batteries/equipment around to get 74mm. When he put it on his traditional CG machine it was very nose heavy. ScaleCrazy stated in post #167 he had three aircraft that were nose heavy after using the CG Wizard but no one ever replied to his post nor did he say he rectified or figured out what was going on. I will talk to him and see if he will take pictures but he has already changed his set up so that it balances on his traditional CG machine since we have both have had great success with it. We are hoping to have great success with the CG Wizard. If You balance on the CG Wizard shouldn't it balance as well on the traditional CG machine?
I'm not sure how much difference it makes but the Ultra Flash CG is measured from the wing/fuselage break line and not the leading edge.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM
digitech

Let me answer you tommorow , we got 2 ultra flashes flying for almost 7 years inwill measure both on the wizard.
for now i can tell you , if you lift the uf untill tail hits the ground it will fall forward very slowly
did he write down total weight and separate weights?
love to see the front weight on that
measurement .
will show you pictures of our measurements and screen shots.
lets find out where it goes wrong

Last edited by digitech; 06-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM
pcskyhi

Originally Posted by siclick33
I'm not sure how much difference it makes but the Ultra Flash CG is measured from the wing/fuselage break line and not the leading edge.
Wing/fuselage break line is where he measured from.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM
digitech

Originally Posted by siclick33
yes you are right if you measure from there 230mm aft
you are just 1mm above the space where the wheeldoor sits in.
i am pretty sure we have the cg between that line and the screw just above it.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:29 PM
pcskyhi

Let me answer you tommorow , we got 2 ultra flashes flying for almost 7 years inwill measure both on the wizard.
for now i can tell you , if you lift the uf untill tail hits the ground it will fall forward very slowly
did he write down total weight and separate weights?
love to see the front weight on that
measurement .
will show you pictures of our measurements and screen shots.
lets find out where it goes wrong
Thanks so much. My friend is going to do it over and take pictures this time so I can share them. By the way I received the angle and throw meter. I used it last night and I can say it is accurate. I verified throws with a ruler. It is awesome! Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM
digitech

Thanks so much. My friend is going to do it over and take pictures this time so I can share them. By the way I received the angle and throw meter. I used it last night and I can say it is accurate. I verified throws with a ruler. It is awesome! Thanks again.
great to hear!! Do me also a favour!
set the cg with the ez balancer first.
then put it onto the cg wizard please.
make pictures and screenshots please.
i will tell you tommorow the outcome with 2 identical uf.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:35 PM
digitech

Originally Posted by s3nfo
Sandor,

No pressure, any idea when the inch and ounce software is coming?

Thanks,

Jerry
yes we hope for a new release before end of the month
Old 06-05-2017, 12:40 PM
digitech

Yes but measuring from the back of the sensor to the CG is different than measuring from the axle to the CG.
that is why we tell to measure from the back of the sensor.
the software makes the calculation.
and to be honnest its a lot easyer to measure
Old 06-05-2017, 12:45 PM
digitech

Originally Posted by ScaleCrazy
yes I get nose heavy planes with the CG Wizard. I checked 3 different planes with all three CG machines. My buddy's Xicoy , EZ Ballancer , and CG Wizard. The Xicoy and the EZ Ballancer seam to be close in ballance results. The CG Wizard is nose heavy every time. That being said even at the nose heavy results the plane is still flyable. ( it's with in tollarance) I'll play with the Wizard again and see if I can get closer results.
what you call nose heavy 5 grams 100-200?
compare weights please.
we are better of with data
is nose heavy landing with full elevator? Or a clcik on the trim.?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM
causeitflies

that is why we tell to measure from the back of the sensor.
the software makes the calculation.
and to be honnest its a lot easyer to measure
So the software makes up the difference between the axle and the back of the sensor?
If so that is great!!
The only other thing could be the leveling of the model.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 PM
digitech

So the software makes up the difference between the axle and the back of the sensor?
If so that is great!!
The only other thing could be the leveling of the model.
model must be flight level and on a flat surface.
even wind can influence the measurements!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 AM
digitech

So Ultraflash measurements :

Composite ARF recomends 220MM wich is to nose heavy
Most out there use 230-240mm
critical and high alpha 240-245mm so there is a wide range

on Daniels UF (the one in the video) 86mm
on my friends UF 87mm total weight 10964 Front weight : 640gram
The third one (my own measures 82 mm)
as you can see there is a wide range of CG between 220MM and 245MM as some seem to fly with.

easy test if you put it on its tail , tank empty uat full cockpit off . it should fall forward slowly.
if your CG is at 245 it will stay on its tail.

so you measured 69 and after weight change 74mm.
that would still suggest its tail heavy.

so tripple check your measurements since all these 3 models are flying with great succes , the 2 from my friends and mine fly over 7 years with these settings.

to be sure! : your measuring from the front where the wing is in the fuse backwards 230mm?
then from back of sensors to the mark where the 230mm is?
your outcome was 74mm? seems off ..

so saying this 87 on the wizard means 220-225 mm
so yout 74mm would be 245mm backwards

Last edited by digitech; 06-06-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:01 AM
pcskyhi

So Ultraflash measurements :

Composite ARF recomends 220MM wich is to nose heavy
Most out there use 230-240mm
critical and high alpha 240-245mm so there is a wide range

on Daniels UF (the one in the video) 86mm
on my friends UF 87mm total weight 10964 Front weight : 640gram
The third one (my own measures 82 mm)
as you can see there is a wide range of CG between 220MM and 245MM as some seem to fly with.

easy test if you put it on its tail , tank empty uat full cockpit off . it should fall forward slowly.
if your CG is at 245 it will stay on its tail.

so you measured 69 and after weight change 74mm.
that would still suggest its tail heavy.

so tripple check your measurements since all these 3 models are flying with great succes , the 2 from my friends and mine fly over 7 years with these settings.

to be sure! : your measuring from the front where the wing is in the fuse backwards 230mm?
then from back of sensors to the mark where the 230mm is?
your outcome was 74mm? seems off ..

so saying this 87 on the wizard means 220-225 mm
so yout 74mm would be 245mm backwards
I have looked at the video a few times. When you measure from the CG point (laser) to the back of the sensor the video shows your target point of 97-98mm. How did you come up with an 86mm CG point when your measurement is well past that in the video or did you move your CG line further back after the video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.