Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 07:12 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x

Anything unique to consider when ordering switchwise? I saw someone mention, and it might have been you, about stiffer springs which I generally like. Don’t see that on the order form but will ask.

I have a few 60-90 sized planes I need to figure out equipment setup where I wouldn’t use a powerbox. It looks like in order to have one cable run out of the wing (power buss) for multiple servos, at a minimum you need to use the PBx-12x, powerexpander srs, as it doesn’t appear you can connect that power buss cable to the RX’s themselves. I currently use the one click harnesses from electro dynamics. If there is another option I am missing, I am all ears. They do not have a lot of documentation showing example setups. Thanks.

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I think if you're pinching you probably want to look at the tray. I fly a kind of hybrid pinching the right stick and thumbing the left and find it pretty easy with the hand held which is what I own, with a neck strap.

Though I can also just grab it without a neck strap and fly thumbs.

The biggest difference with Futaba is how utterly simple it is to program even complicated setups.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

For the Core there's a configuration sheet you can order the switches you like. I had PB Americas upgrade mine with stiffer springs and put a safety switch on the back right for throttle cut functionality.

I use 2 for 1 connectors where I have aileron, flap, gear and brakes on one wing, 2 on each side. I'm not sure about the ED stuff how is wired.

Anything less than 10 channels just needs a 9D receiver.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:10 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rustypep
What are opinions on the tray versus non-tray version? Curious how many are using the tray. I need to replace my aging 14mz. So I am basically looking at this and the 32mz.
Having used the Futaba radios as well as Spektrum, now CORE and JR, I will say that there is no comparison to the CORE by any of those radios. I really hated my 18QQ Spektrum because it was just too big for my hands. I could not reach the switches without dragging a stick. The Futaba 18's were better size wise especially since the gimbals can be canted outward which really helped with my short fingers, but it was still a tad too big. The DX20 Spektrum is one of the better fitting tx's I've handled and feels a lot like my dearly loved JR 12X. The Futaba 18SZ is a really nice size for me and I liked it quite a bit but still not really happy. When they came out with the Anniversary Edition 18SZ having the GREAT gimbals, that was a game changer.

Now comes the CORE; it feels better in my hands than any radio since my JR 12X. The simulated suede leather grips ( I cannot remember the exact name of the stuff) feels great. The size and switch placement for me are really good. It feels better in my hands than any radio I've ever owned.

Now for some nitty gritty coming from MHO; The programming on the CORE has been a bit of a challenge for me after flying Japanese radios for so long but It's something that once you learn how the Germans think, it's much easier. Flows rather naturally from one segment to another, in that respect it's a lot like Futaba but much cleaner. Futaba, Spektrum DX20 are both quite straight forward as opposed to the new Spektrum stuff; the programming for the iX20 is a royal pain in the you know where.

Now here's some of the real nitty gritty; the Futaba 32MZ is actually a 16 channel plus 2 on/off channels and relies on channel expanders giving you a bunch of channels that cannot be used as flight controls since they are lower resolution, slower and irregular control response. The Spektrum DX20 does the same thing to get above 12 channels and if you use the 12 channel configuration for fully proportional control, you lose access to the other eight channels. If you want all 20 channels, you got to have the expander and the appropriate rx's and you lose all the control surface functionality for the same reason you lose it on the Futaba.

Enter the CORE; it has 26 fully functional, fully assignable channels with 4096 resolution, faster response times than any of the other radios. An RF scheme that provides enhanced communication with the model rx's and it's fully updateable through it's WiFi connection. It can also update rx's the same way, via WiFi. The gimbals are great, spring tension is a bit less than I'd like but I don't want to send it off to the PB USA guys for a fix.

While the Jeti guys claim the programming on their radios is the best of the bunch, all of them if honest, will tell you that Jeti programming is tough to learn. For myself, it feels like a heavy aluminum pizza box in my hands. Square corners, sharp edges, poor switch spacing and I HATE the way if feels in my hands.

Hope that might help some make a decision between the brands. I have not and WILL NOT go to Open Source tx's.......

Last edited by Zeeb; 03-02-2023 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:32 AM
rustypep

Thanks Zeeb and Andy for your thoughts. I am with you Zeeb on the channel situation. The other issue for me was how quickly Futaba dumped parts support for the 14mz. I did buy it towards the end of its life cycle but regardless I was surprised and not happy given what I spent. I had to get creative and I was just tossing away money. Yeah I held onto it longer but I got 15 years out of my previous Futaba. I am going to give the tray a shot with stiffer springs, longer slide levers and throttle cut. I also have throttle cut on my existing radios in the same position. I think the only thing I will have to do is move my 20+ year trainer over to spektrum so I have a buddy box available unless there is a way to use one with PB Core. My son is about to start and I still help others. I am going to dump a few smaller planes anyway as I switch over. I want to focus on bigger stuff anyways. Put a call in this afternoon so just waiting to hear back. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:55 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

You can use other transmitters as a buddy box, you just need the appropriate receiver to hook them to. I have not done it yet but it does not look hard. It is in the manual under the teacher/student section.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:12 PM
CostasV

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rustypep
I think the only thing I will have to do is move my 20+ year trainer over to spektrum so I have a buddy box available unless there is a way to use one with PB Core.
Depending on what Futaba hardware you still have lying around, you can easily use a Futaba Tx as a wireless buddy box Tx (Student Tx) with the Powerbox Tx (Master Tx).

You just need a Futaba Rx that has SBUS output and a PB Rx in the actual aircraft.

I use an old Futaba Rx attached to the rear of my Core with some Velcro. The SBUS output of this Rx is simply connected to the front panel servo/PPM socket which is configured to accept the SBUS signal.

The student then uses one of my Futaba transmitters to fly the aircraft. The Futaba Tx is just linked to the Futaba Rx so it forms a wireless connection to the Powerbox Tx.

The aircraft must use a Powerbox Rx as my Powerbox Core Tx provides the actual radio link to the aircraft.

Note that in my pic below I actually replaced the original Futaba antennas with some aftermarket shortened ones and simply taped them to the side of the Futaba Rx (this is just a convenience thing - neater setup). Range is not an issue here as the student is usually standing not too far away...

You can do similar with a Spektrum Tx however you require an additional device as there are not too many Spektrum receivers that feature SBUS outputs.

In this case you could use a normal Spektrum Rx and then feed the servo outputs into something like the Futaba SBE-1 (SBUS PWM Adaptor) and then connect this to the Powerbox Tx.

This works fine as well, just not quite as neat as the Futaba setup.

Last edited by CostasV; 03-03-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:23 PM
rustypep

CostasV, thanks for the great info. That is good to know. I replaced my old Dx6i with an 10nx and I found out I can use the 6i as a wireless buddy box so think I will go that route so I can just get rid of all my old Futaba stuff. I am just going to use Spektrum on stuff up to 40 size and helis and PB on anything larger.

They had some issues with the online order system so they are calling me back on Monday. It you order the tray system, you already get the stiffer springs. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:43 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi All, Do you know how we can set Crow on core. I recall that a long ago someone said something on this thread but could not find it.

Thank you.
Behzad
Old 03-06-2023, 09:49 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Possible method :
1- Create new function named Crow
2- Assign aileron servos
3- adjust servo curve in the function so that it goes only in the upward direction
4- Assign desired switch as a control
This should be directionally correct. Need to try it out
Old 03-06-2023, 09:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Several options, but easiest is to add the two aileron servos to the flap function list.
Go back into Functions and add what ever channel numbers you have for the two ailerons, to the Flap function
The following users liked this post:
Springbok Flyer (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:58 AM
DUCMOZ

Thank you Dave and Edgar.

Behzad
Old 03-11-2023, 12:04 PM
grolleman

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday I went to Aerobatics to really take a good look at the core and try it out.
It's really a great thing.
And really convinced.
We really asked all kinds of difficult questions, but the core understands it all. Unbelievable in terms of possibilities.
The following 2 users liked this post by grolleman:
David Gladwin (03-12-2023), jcterrettaz (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:26 PM
Dave Wilshere

Yes, I have a customer who wants to do many complicated mixes, functions etc. His previous radios (different brands) always ran into some limit of what was possible, even if it was just naming functions. Core is yet to beat him 😀
Springbok Flyer (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 05:30 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

...or, he is yet to beat Core!...... think you meant.....LOL

Yes Dave, Core is without equal in the transmitter contest.

JanR

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 03-11-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:14 AM
Dave Wilshere

Well I meant it from the point of view Core hasn’t stopped him doing something he wanted…
grolleman (03-12-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 01:22 PM
grolleman

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Ja, ik heb een klant die veel ingewikkelde mixen, functies etc. wil doen. Zijn vorige radio's (verschillende merken) liepen altijd tegen een bepaalde grens aan van wat mogelijk was, ook al was het maar het benoemen van functies. Core moet hem 😀 nog verslaan
And especially for the 3d and glider pilots. We asked the employee to create a flight phase to override the previous flight phase.
And that, for example, with a throttle stick and aileron. Really ready in 10 minutes. Some 3d pilots apparently need extreme deflections very quickly after a figure to enter the next figure

Last edited by grolleman; 03-12-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:20 PM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Gents,

Of all the Core users here, does anybody have a preferred technique for setting up multi-stage flaps on their turbine model? There's more than one way to get it done with this radio, however I was looking from insight from those that have first-hand experience, etc. The ability to easily adjust and fine tune elevator offset due to pitch change is a must.

Feel free to post here or DM with your techniques! - or if this has already been covered on this thread can you please provide post number/s, etc. Thanks in advance

Best Regards, Frank

Old 03-14-2023, 12:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It's actually easy.

Enable 3 flight modes with your flap switch as the FM control. Fade in to 1.5 sec on each flight mode.

Set the run time on the flaps to 3 seconds.

Go into elevator trim and set it to SINGLE which will make it follow the flight mode.

Fly and trim each flap position.

Enjoy

A couple of notes on this setup. The run time sets the flap transit time, the fade in time needs to be about half of the run time in order for the trim to transition at the same rate of the flaps. If you're just looking at the trim pipper on the main display it jumps when you flip the flap switch but the surface actually moves at the right speed.

Any questions let me know.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 03-14-2023 at 12:35 PM.
Springbok Flyer (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:40 PM
Dave Wilshere

You have to select what you will trim, I generally select elevator and aileron so you can trim any roll too.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:48 PM
DUCMOZ

Hi frank, i am terrible of doing these but, I first tried the way Martin Pickering does (video on you tube - flap made easy) and i could not duplicate the screens the way his shows / does so gave up. After that, I am doing it traditional way. setting the servos, then reverse one and then adjust each stage. I am sure the more technically knowledgeable people have some other ways to do it.

Behzad
Old 03-14-2023, 01:30 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi frank, i am terrible of doing these but, I first tried the way Martin Pickering does (video on you tube - flap made easy) and i could not duplicate the screens the way his shows / does so gave up. After that, I am doing it traditional way. setting the servos, then reverse one and then adjust each stage. I am sure the more technically knowledgeable people have some other ways to do it.

Behzad
Watch it agin, the graph button is the one to the left on the main screen. It is easy this way.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:38 PM
DUCMOZ

Okay, here is my issue. When I am building, ! assign the servos. then at the time of programing, I can not duplicate what he does. While, he starts with assigning the servos and go to programing. I am sure I am missing something but have spent a lot of time and could not find it.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:24 PM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Im using this technique for flaps
Old 03-19-2023, 02:44 PM
DUCMOZ

Hi All, could you please help and advise how you set up your failsafe for turbines?

thanks

behzad

Old 03-19-2023, 09:57 PM
Dave Wilshere

In the Function menu you set the channel to FS from Hold and teach it.
Obviously if you have a PB unit you need to set the throttle Channel to FS too. PowerExpanders and alike you need the USB
cable and a PC to set the chosen channel to FS.

We have the turbine going to idle here, so throttle stick down and trim up and touch Failsafe and then Teach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.