Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF REBEL 2m

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF REBEL 2m

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon 195
Can someone please tell me what size machine screws come with the rebel classic for mounting the front landing gear?
I think I used a #8 by 3/4 inch
Old 04-25-2023, 08:58 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

New owner of this Rebel changed a few things. JetCat P-130Rx and Core

The following 4 users liked this post by Dave Wilshere:
DenisFerrari (04-25-2023), grolleman (04-25-2023), Kenrico (04-25-2023), stormseq (12-11-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 06:48 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I maidened my Rebel yesterday, everything thing went well. Flew it five times. I used the CG method described here in this thread where you put two fingers under the wing tube and lift it, worked well, the CG was in an acceptable ballpark. I do feel that it is just slightly nose heavy so I'm going to start moving batteries aft a little to dial it in. I'm running a CortexPro gyro with default settings on Stick Priority etc. and with the factory recommended throws it's very docile, especially in the roll axis. Elevator response is good as is, but I need to tinker with the gyro and the aileron throws to increase the responsiveness in the roll axis. If anyone wants to share their CortexPro settings and throws I would appreciate it. I configured my flaps per the manual for maximum extension, and they are quite effective, it slows down nicely on final. The site picture when it's on final with those huge flaps deployed is pretty cool. I have not played with crow, but may consider it in the future, for now it seems to slow down nicely without it. I have the Reb Launch Scheme and I applied a large REBEL vinyl graphic to the bottom (cali graphics) and I was very impressed with how visible it was in the air, looked really cool and I'm glad I did it. Mine weights 29 lbs ready for take off, the K142g4 is a great match and the vertical is unlimited. Compared to my 2.2m T1 the Rebel is much lighter and flies much lighter as a result, something I need to get used to (The T1 is still a great flying machine, just different from the Rebel). Looking forward to more flights, especially as I get her dialed in. Thanks for all the great info here, very helpful. -Tom
Old 04-27-2023, 10:28 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
l. -Tom
I have the K-142G4 in mine too. I initially CGed it using the Xicoy scales and the recommended CG. After a couple flights, I felt it was a bit nose-heavy on an inverted 45 upline, even after several minutes of flight to burn off most of the fuel. When adjusting the CG to my liking, I moved my 3800 mah battery back a bit to lessen what I felt was that nose-heavy state. The next flight, the plane wanted to float when landing. I moved the battery back forward and it landed pretty much by itself. The landing float was gone. However, now the plane flies straight as an arrow on an inverted 45 upline. I'll probably fiddle with the CG a bit more once it warms up and bit and the winds die down.

I think the residual thrust from the 142 and a slightly tail-heavy plane may combine to cause the CG to be more sensitive when landing. Also, the Rebel's forward fuel tank does not help much toward a consistent CG during the flight and then landing. With a 142 most of my flying was < 1/2 throttle. On short flights, there is a lot of fuel left in the tank, if I fill it.

I had a bit of trouble landing in Ocala. They have a short runway. It slopes downhill on a Left-to-Right final and there are some pretty tall trees out under the base approach. I ended up increasing the flaps and put in some crow to offset the residual thrust from the 142. The landing there is easy once you get used to the site's challenges. But, ... I am used to a 3800' flat asphalt runway with no trees to deal with. Most other sites make me a bit nervous.

You are right though; the Rebel flies a bit different from the T Ones. I'll add that a 26# plane is a lot easier to pick up off the startup pad than a 34# plane. However, the Rebel is a lot more fragile. My bottom seam cracked when I picked it up in a spot between the formers. I ended reinforcing it with some fiberglass on the inside under the pipe. Both the T One and the Rebel fly great! But comparatively, IMHO the Rebel seems more fragile.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:49 AM
Tip22v

I did not do the upline 45 maneuver yesterday, in hindsight I should have. Like you, most of my flying was < 1/2 stick. I also agree that 8# difference makes the Rebel much easier to lift Regarding the fragility of the Rebel, I had to build a special cradle for my trailer because I was afraid the airframe would be damaged if I tried to transport it with the same cradle I used for my T1. Our runway is only 300' at my primary club site, and we have lots of trees and light poles (our field is a parking lot for a concert venue) so I'm used to landing with obstacles, but like you said, once you do a few landings it becomes a lot less stressful. Fortunately, I'm now a member at another club that has a 3500' strip, the downside it's two hours away so I don't get up there more than a few times a year.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:27 AM
Power_Edge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys. Thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum. I'm from Germany and I apologize for my bad English. I ordered a Rebel Classic and am considering the Turbine.
I was almost on the order button for the K-142G4, but I read here that the Jetcat P130 delivers 15kg of thrust. Is that really true? According to the manufacturer, it should bring 13kg. That's why I wanted to take the Kingtech because of the slightly more thrust (14kg). Because I plan to build the Rebel with smoke and lights. Our runway is grass.
Can someone convince me of the right one? By the way, I hate the purple color of the Jetcat. But most of my buddies here in Germany use the Jetcats.
I want to get the Rebel as light as possible.

Thanks . Regards Holger
Old 06-20-2023, 04:20 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Power_Edge
Hi Guys. Thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum. I'm from Germany and I apologize for my bad English. I ordered a Rebel Classic and am considering the Turbine.
I was almost on the order button for the K-142G4, but I read here that the Jetcat P130 delivers 15kg of thrust. Is that really true? According to the manufacturer, it should bring 13kg. That's why I wanted to take the Kingtech because of the slightly more thrust (14kg). Because I plan to build the Rebel with smoke and lights. Our runway is grass.
Can someone convince me of the right one? By the way, I hate the purple color of the Jetcat. But most of my buddies here in Germany use the Jetcats.

Thanks . Regards Holger
Hi,
A Xicoy 120 would be perfect and much lighter than a JetCat or King Tech. I've seen the classic fly with the X120 and it is enough power.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:16 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
Hi,
A Xicoy 120 would be perfect and much lighter than a JetCat or King Tech. I've seen the classic fly with the X120 and it is enough power.
I have flown them with both the K142 and the Xicoy X120. The K142 jet has a 4L tank, the X120 has a 3L tank so it’s about 1Kg lighter than the K142 jet. I have flown the X120 version off grass, no problem taking off. The X120 has ample power, even in verticals. The K142 jet is considerably faster (too fast for this airframe IMO) than the X120 jet, but the X120 jet is plenty fast enough. If you want a speed demon get a Flash instead.
The following users liked this post:
Skunkwrks (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 09:08 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Talking

I have flown them with both the K142 and the Xicoy X120. The K142 jet has a 4L tank, the X120 has a 3L tank so it’s about 1Kg lighter than the K142 jet. I have flown the X120 version off grass, no problem taking off. The X120 has ample power, even in verticals. The K142 jet is considerably faster (too fast for this airframe IMO) than the X120 jet, but the X120 jet is plenty fast enough. If you want a speed demon get a Flash instead.
The Rebel with a 140 is fast but the pilot can control the throttle and save on fuel , yours with that 120 flew very well but on grass would be harder to lift off and that what i usually fly from.

I will be putting my Jetsmunt 166 in mine but will dial back the power and just sip the fuel at half to 3/4 quarters stick. Loved how well these 2m fly and its a great addition to the Pro i already have.
It Should be here end of August.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:37 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Skunkwrks
The Rebel with a 140 is fast but the pilot can control the throttle and save on fuel , yours with that 120 flew very well but on grass would be harder to lift off and that what i usually fly from.

I will be putting my Jetsmunt 166 in mine but will dial back the power and just sip the fuel at half to 3/4 quarters stick. Loved how well these 2m fly and its a great addition to the Pro i already have.
It Should be here end of August.
yeah, I will be pulling the X120 now that my K142 is back from service. Paul was very kind to let me borrow his X120 for JoM I agree on the throttle management, I was a little worried about residual idle thrust with the K142, but the big flaps really slow it down nicely.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:45 PM
Skunkwrks

yeah, I will be pulling the X120 now that my K142 is back from service. Paul was very kind to let me borrow his X120 for JoM I agree on the throttle management, I was a little worried about residual idle thrust with the K142, but the big flaps really slow it down nicely.
You will be fine just use the throttle to manage speed, unlike how Randy flew his. I watched him one flight and the stick was 7/8 or full power only once i saw him go to half power after exiting a loop....Humm.
Paul is good friend lending that Xicoy for the Jet rally hope his hand heals up completely. Just sent my engine in for repairs/updates should be done in three weeks....manufacture is covering the work.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:33 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Power_Edge

Thanks . Regards Holger
Yes it’s true. 154N from a JetCat P-130. In the U.K. there are a lot of Rebel Classic, most have JetCat P-130. Flight time 8 minutes because you don’t need full power, also JetCat idle thrust is low.
Brushless fuel pump now standard.

All these P-130Rx

DenisFerrari (06-26-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 02:49 AM
jstras

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, i have a Classic waiting to be built during this winter and will put a x120 in it.
So far i have 4 engines from Gaspar (2 JM and 2 Xicoy) and it will take a lot of effort to change the engine brand
Old 06-21-2023, 11:19 AM
Tip22v

You will be fine just use the throttle to manage speed, unlike how Randy flew his. I watched him one flight and the stick was 7/8 or full power only once i saw him go to half power after exiting a loop....Humm.
Paul is good friend lending that Xicoy for the Jet rally hope his hand heals up completely. Just sent my engine in for repairs/updates should be done in three weeks....manufacture is covering the work.
I’m glad the manufacturer is covering the work, sure wish I could have seen you flying your Pro more, thank goodness you caught the issue on the ground.
Skunkwrks (09-18-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 11:29 AM
Skunkwrks

I’m glad the manufacturer is covering the work, sure wish I could have seen you flying your Pro more, thank goodness you caught the issue on the ground.
ThanksThomas, I guess there's a metallurgy issue with the front compressor hub, I saw one 240 on RC Group for a reasonable price, and Jonathan told me not to buy it because of this issue.
Guess mine is in that group of recalled hubs!!!! I was ready for at least ten flights, only got four, and even brought 15 gallons of fuel to use.
I would hate to have the tip shed in the air, would have caused alot more damage . Guess I have some lucky horse on my side..Lol Thanks my friend
Old 06-22-2023, 09:33 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

ThanksThomas, I guess there's a metallurgy issue with the front compressor hub, I saw one 240 on RC Group for a reasonable price, and Jonathan told me not to buy it because of this issue.
Guess mine is in that group of recalled hubs!!!! I was ready for at least ten flights, only got four, and even brought 15 gallons of fuel to use.
I would hate to have the tip shed in the air, would have caused alot more damage . Guess I have some lucky horse on my side..Lol Thanks my friend
Are they doing a SW recall on them?
Old 06-22-2023, 02:44 PM
Tip22v

I have not looked at my logs yet but I think I got 16 flights on three jets over the week, so I’m happy with that
Old 06-22-2023, 07:19 PM
Skunkwrks

Originally Posted by AEROSHELDON
Are they doing a SW recall on them?
There has been an issue with the first patch in this size, it is all in the front hub is what I've been told.
Sounds like a batch of Aluminium billet that wasn't up to proper strength and purity. I looked at a new one, 240 a month ago on RCgroup and was advised not to purchase it because of this issue.
You got to phone your local Swinin dealers like BadBoyz or CRS turbines in northern New York and discuss it.

That factory is covering the damage, front FOD screen has an exit hole when the tip broke off and bounced through four other blades behind before it went through the screen into the plane and then disappeared. Luckily it happened and lower rpm about half and not full throttle, i was doing my engine check just prior to takeoff and at 1/2 throttle it started to make a weird sound so I shut down.
I'm extremely lucky it didn't come apart in flight would have been more damage like what Scott had last year on his RebelMax, 2nd flight!!!!
Yes, Swiwin is a very good company standing behind its products. All is good.
AEROSHELDON (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:21 PM
Skunkwrks

I have not looked at my logs yet but I think I got 16 flights on three jets over the week, so I’m happy with that
Think i would have been close to that only four for me before mechanical issues...Good flyin

Old 06-24-2023, 01:02 PM
RC Rich

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There has been an issue with the first patch in this size, it is all in the front hub is what I've been told.
Sounds like a batch of Aluminium billet that wasn't up to proper strength and purity. I looked at a new one, 240 a month ago on RCgroup and was advised not to purchase it because of this issue.
You got to phone your local Swinin dealers like BadBoyz or CRS turbines in northern New York and discuss it.

That factory is covering the damage, front FOD screen has an exit hole when the tip broke off and bounced through four other blades behind before it went through the screen into the plane and then disappeared. Luckily it happened and lower rpm about half and not full throttle, i was doing my engine check just prior to takeoff and at 1/2 throttle it started to make a weird sound so I shut down.
I'm extremely lucky it didn't come apart in flight would have been more damage like what Scott had last year on his RebelMax, 2nd flight!!!!
Yes, Swiwin is a very good company standing behind its products. All is good.

Is this a concern if I'm considering purchasing a new Swiwin 120 or 140, or is it for older units that were sold?

Last edited by RC Rich; 06-24-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:28 AM
Skunkwrks

Talking

Originally Posted by RC Rich
Is this a concern if I'm considering purchasing a new Swiwin 120 or 140, or is it for older units that were sold?
Rich, it was only on the early 240 production run, and mine was in that group. Swiwin has provided excellent service, which sets them apart from other turbine manufacturers.
The issue is dealt with, and the customer's engine is made whole again; every manufacturer has issues with their products, but how the company resolves the problem for the customer is essential.

Russell
Old 06-25-2023, 07:10 PM
RC Rich

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Rich, it was only on the early 240 production run, and mine was in that group. Swiwin has provided excellent service, which sets them apart from other turbine manufacturers.
The issue is dealt with, and the customer's engine is made whole again; every manufacturer has issues with their products, but how the company resolves the problem for the customer is essential.

Russell
Thanks, that's good to know!
I recently pulled the trigger and ordered a classic in the infinity orange scheme. This will be my first quality jet build with the first being a foam L-39 PNP. I'm not sure about the turbine yet, but I'm leaning towards the Swiwin 140. (I'm nearby Bad Boys RC which helps). The 120 could be enough and is the same size and weight as the 140. I'm hoping with throttle management that it will be nice to have a little extra for the occasional high speed pass followed by vertical. I'm still undecided.

Last edited by RC Rich; 06-26-2023 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:09 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by AEROSHELDON:
Canadian Man (06-26-2023), RC Rich (06-27-2023), Skunkwrks (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 11:06 AM
Skunkwrks

Originally Posted by RC Rich
Thanks, that's good to know!
I recently pulled the trigger and ordered a classic in the infinity orange scheme. This will be my first quality jet build with the first being a foam L-39 PNP. I'm not sure about the turbine yet, but I'm leaning towards the Swiwin 140. (I'm nearby Bad Boys RC which helps). The 120 could be enough and is the same size and weight as the 140. I'm hoping with throttle management that it will be nice to have a little extra for the occasional high speed pass followed by vertical. I'm still undecided.
I would go with the 140 as you can use it on other planes, yes, throttle management is important. Roman and Terry at BadBoyz are very good guys they are fixing my engine, we fly off grass runways and with the 140 it takes more runway, but you probably have Ashplat, so all is good. Its fast with a 140 Swiwin

My classic should be here in 2 1/2 months and I using a 2 1/2-year-old Jetsmunt 166 and will using throttle management, probably fly at half throttle to 3/4 and will just sip the fuel.
RC Rich (06-27-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 01:01 PM
sengle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decal Font?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what the Rebel Decal Font is on the underside wing? Any guesses?

Cheers from New Zealand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.