Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BajaHobby L39

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BajaHobby L39

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 01:25 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i have connected my JP gear input to my AR smoothflite (as it outputs 7.4V) - that way system off = gear off
Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 PM
Todd D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lior, That's a good idea. Since I'm using the Powerbox Mercury which also outputs 7.4 and I'll have 15 ports to work with so I may just do the same.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:19 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by Todd D
Lior, That's a good idea. Since I'm using the Powerbox Mercury which also outputs 7.4 and I'll have 15 ports to work with so I may just do the same.
i used 2 outputs paralleled.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:37 AM
Todd D

Here's an update to my progress.
I have the MKS servos installed. For those that are familiar with them you'll know that they are a little larger than a standard servo, so I had to use the dremel to remove a little bit of material from the wing servo plate mount to accommodate, no big deal.
When I was putting the servos in I adjusted the routing of the wires in the wing. Factory has the flap/aileron wires running through the wheel well area, there's a channel and access to the flap/aileron servos from the leading edge so I moved the wires there.
I noted the ample use of carbon fiber as part of the wing build process in both the inside of the wing surface skin and on the spar, nice stuff!
I got the lights working how I want them. Red/Green nav lights on steady. Landing lights on a switch, both the gear and tip tank lights on/off together. The light controller only has three switched outputs for the lights so I ended up soldering a couple together to get he desired result. Worked out well.
I installed some 1/32 ply in the nose wheel area where it was open to the extend/retract action of the nose gear. The batteries/wires are in there and I didn't want to take any chances for those items to get mixed up with the gear moving.
I was able to get a hold of Kingtech this week, the K160 is on it's way.
I started to program the Powerbox Mercury SRS. It's a very nice intuitive system, easy to use and program with some powerful features. They have some nice video tutorials on their web page which are very helpful.
I decided to use the second switch to power the gear, brake and light controller direct from the batteries.
Two 4000mah Thunder power Lipos installed in the left battery bay, with the switches, turbine pack will go on the right side.
Here's a few photos.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Todd D

Here's an update to my progress.
I have the MKS servos installed. For those that are familiar with them you'll know that they are a little larger than a standard servo, so I had to use the dremel to remove a little bit of material from the wing servo plate mount to accommodate, no big deal.
When I was putting the servos in I adjusted the routing of the wires in the wing. Factory has the flap/aileron wires running through the wheel well area, there's a channel and access to the flap/aileron servos from the leading edge so I moved the wires there.
I noted the ample use of carbon fiber as part of the wing build process in both the inside of the wing surface skin and on the spar, nice stuff!
I got the lights working how I want them. Red/Green nav lights on steady. Landing lights on a switch, both the gear and tip tank lights on/off together. The light controller only has three switched outputs for the lights so I ended up soldering a couple together to get he desired result. Worked out well.
I installed some 1/32 ply in the nose wheel area where it was open to the extend/retract action of the nose gear. The batteries/wires are in there and I didn't want to take any chances for those items to get mixed up with the gear moving.
I was able to get a hold of Kingtech this week, the K160 is on it's way.
I started to program the Powerbox Mercury SRS. It's a very nice intuitive system, easy to use and program with some powerful features. They have some nice video tutorials on their web page which are very helpful.
I decided to use the second switch to power the gear, brake and light controller direct from the batteries.
Two 4000mah Thunder power Lipos installed in the left battery bay, with the switches, turbine pack will go on the right side.
Here's a few photos.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:31 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice work Todd. Those lights look nice and bright. Was if difficult to program the light sequence that you were looking for? Also, did the kit come with a decent UAT?
thanks,
Tone
Old 03-28-2020, 10:48 AM
Todd D

Well, once I figured out how the supplied controller works it was pretty easy. There’s two control wires that go to the receiver from the controller. It you use both then all the outputs are switched. I used just the one marked “gear” and power the controller from the supplied connector. The controller has three outputs that are switched. I “y” or actually soldered the tank tip light and main gear light for each wing together and plugged to the controller. . The nose gear light has the third output plug. The two nav lights are on steady and have the own outlets at the controller. The rest of the outlets at the controller flash the lights. lol use one of those for the light I plan to add to the tip of the vertical stab. Here’s a a few pics of the controller. First photo shows the output pins on the controller.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:53 AM
Todd D

The UAT looks very similar to the one on the Kingtech web site. Should be ok?
Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 AM
Todd D

Another note, I intended to use the servo arms that came with the plane on the MKS servos I put in, that didn't work out so I ordered replacement arms from SWB right here in West Bend WI. If you're familiar with SWB you know that his servo arms are the best. I learned that he is retiring and may or may not find a buyer for his business, so if you're thinking about getting SWB arms for an upcoming project, don't wait too long!.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Agrav8ed

Another note, I intended to use the servo arms that came with the plane on the MKS servos I put in, that didn't work out so I ordered replacement arms from SWB right here in West Bend WI. If you're familiar with SWB you know that his servo arms are the best. I learned that he is retiring and may or may not find a buyer for his business, so if you're thinking about getting SWB arms for an upcoming project, don't wait too long!.
What was the issue issue with the stock servo arms? Also, how big is the stock uat?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 03-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Todd D

Hey Tone,

Well, the arms are on the servos pretty snug and I din't have one of those nifty little servo arm pullers so I had a really hard time wiggling it off. Then it didn't fit onto the new servo very easily and I may have buggered up the splines trying, so I decided to just get new ones.

The supplied UAT measures 10 fluid ounces.
The following users liked this post:
Agrav8ed (03-29-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 03:45 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Any updates on the L-39? Getting bored locked up in the house and thinking about my next jet. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2020, 05:12 AM
i3dm

Originally Posted by cbk07
Any updates on the L-39? Getting bored locked up in the house and thinking about my next jet. Thanks!
which update would you like? mine is sitting here in front of me looking pretty 😀
Old 04-17-2020, 12:05 PM
cbk07

Originally Posted by i3dm
which update would you like? mine is sitting here in front of me looking pretty 😀
LOL...Thank you....I have seen your videos. But you make everything look good!!
I was hoping to hear the quality and flight impressions from others that may have purchased them.
Stay safe and have fun.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:16 PM
i3dm

thanks for the kind words. this jet is really awesome and a joy in the air. you will love it.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:39 AM
Todd D

Originally Posted by cbk07
Well, as of this week mine i pretty much ready to go. I finished balance last weekend. I had to put 20 ounces in the nose to balance where Lior and Peter indicated. Mine came out at just shy of 38lbs. The quality of the jet is really good. I've had to correct a few minor things no big deal. Here's a few photos.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:45 AM
cbk07

Cool., Thank you. The plane looks great. I've narrowed my decision down this or one other. Probably going to come down to which one will be available first. I appreciate you taking the time to answer, good luck with the maiden!
Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM
Agrav8ed

Well, as of this week mine i pretty much ready to go. I finished balance last weekend. I had to put 20 ounces in the nose to balance where Lior and Peter indicated. Mine came out at just shy of 38lbs. The quality of the jet is really good. I've had to correct a few minor things no big deal. Here's a few photos.

What is the CG point? Did it come with a manual? I am still waiting for mine to come in from China.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 04-19-2020, 04:28 AM
Todd D

CG point is 155-160mm behind the LE at the wing root. I checked with Peter and Lior to determine where to set it. Peter is your source for any information you need to assemble the plane.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:35 AM
Todd D

Tone, sorry it's taking so long for your plane to get here. I think you'll be happy so it should be worth the wait.

Peter sent me this, but the elevator throws are not correct. No way to get 1.5 to 2 inches of throw on this plane without breaking something. He subsequently told me the numbers are mistranslated for the elevator and to set them at 1 inch high rates and 3/4 low. The rest of the info seems good.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:35 AM
Agrav8ed

Tone, sorry it's taking so long for your plane to get here. I think you'll be happy so it should be worth the wait.

Peter sent me this, but the elevator throws are not correct. No way to get 1.5 to 2 inches of throw on this plane without breaking something. He subsequently told me the numbers are mistranslated for the elevator and to set them at 1 inch high rates and 3/4 low. The rest of the info seems good.
Thanks for the reply Todd. I appreciate it! Let me know when you complete your maiden.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 06-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Agrav8ed

Did you ever get a chance to get your maiden done?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 06-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Todd D

Tone, yes we flew it. Plane itself flew very well, zero trim added. I had two issues, one was that one of the bearings in the wheel was bad so the wheel was really rough. Had a good friend of mine who runs a machine shop machine up some bushings so I replacing the ball bearings with oil lite bushing material. We've done that on other jets with success. Also had a servo issue on the flaps that I am working through, sent one servo back to MKS for review, awaiting return. The plane is a great flyer and will be a lot of fun for you.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM
Agrav8ed

Tone, yes we flew it. Plane itself flew very well, zero trim added. I had two issues, one was that one of the bearings in the wheel was bad so the wheel was really rough. Had a good friend of mine who runs a machine shop machine up some bushings so I replacing the ball bearings with oil lite bushing material. We've done that on other jets with success. Also had a servo issue on the flaps that I am working through, sent one servo back to MKS for review, awaiting return. The plane is a great flyer and will be a lot of fun for you.
That's awesome news. Glad it worked out for you!. Still waiting for mine due to Covid delays.
Tone
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Todd D

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
That's awesome news. Glad it worked out for you!. Still waiting for mine due to Covid delays.
Tone
Sorry you’re having to wait. It’ll be worth it.
here’s a few photos of the jet tech tank I out in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.