Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Foamie jet for X45/K45 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:44 AM
dwr302
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran the X45 on a test stand today. Easy to sync to the radio. Amazing how fast it starts. No smoke, no fuss. throttle response is quick. And this newest version self adjusts to ambient temperature. Also has a kero/diesel option so no need to adjust for that. After a couple of full throttle pulls I dialed it back from 10 to 8 lbs. at full throttle. This should help keep the wings on the jet. Space is tight inside the cockpit area so I decided on a layout then plumbed and safety wired the uat, shutoff valve, inline filter and pump out on the bench. Then I installed that setup on the test stand. I did prime the line into a waist container as the book suggested before connecting to the turbine. So after the runs I now have a leak tested setup ready to install. I left the 4mm fuel line full, using a festo cap to keep things clean and dry. There is enough clearance inside the fuselage to allow the festo capped line to be fished back to the turbine.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:20 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks good. I wish the K-45 ran diesel. I have to carry a jug with kero for it.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:42 PM
dwr302

Yup, it was one of the reasons I went with the Xicoy. I already have one mix for a couple JC Rabbits and another for an AceX 80. I can use the AceX blend in the Xicoy. I didn't want a third
Old 06-17-2020, 05:18 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

hey Viper
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	114
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2267624
Old 06-17-2020, 05:25 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by FenderBean
hey Viper
Fender, that's funny. I got 3 of them. At least I don't have to fill the jug very often. Not like getting 5 flights and fill again with a 320!

Old 06-17-2020, 05:34 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Fender, that's funny. I got 3 of them. At least I don't have to fill the jug very often. Not like getting 5 flights and fill again with a 320!
Right on
Old 06-18-2020, 03:51 PM
dwr302

With the turbine at the very aft end of the jet the cable is not long enough to get the junction board/hub far enough into the cockpit area to service. But since it is a straight shot from turbine to hub it will be possible to shift the cable and hub fore and aft to be able to remove the turbine or access the back end of the hub's connection points. This will be handy as I plan to shift the X45 to other foamy projects . The way the turbine is set up will allow it to be pulled in about 5 minutes. Another kit including pump, hub and everything needed to support the turbine is available for about $300. So cheaper to feed my developing habit. I did order the X45 Lite option with the separate hand held HDT, so the hub then is small enough to slide back towards the turbine to provide some slack for install or removal.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by dwr302
... So cheaper to feed my developing habit.
Yes, I have one of those habits too...I wound up with three of these things!
Old 06-18-2020, 04:42 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the turbine at the very aft end of the jet the cable is not long enough to get the junction board/hub far enough into the cockpit area to service. But since it is a straight shot from turbine to hub it will be possible to shift the cable and hub fore and aft to be able to remove the turbine or access the back end of the hub's connection points. This will be handy as I plan to shift the X45 to other foamy projects . The way the turbine is set up will allow it to be pulled in about 5 minutes. Another kit including pump, hub and everything needed to support the turbine is available for about $300. So cheaper to feed my developing habit. I did order the X45 Lite option with the separate hand held HDT, so the hub then is small enough to slide back towards the turbine to provide some slack for install or removal.
Yes, obviously contagious!! I have three and so does a flying mate over here, so pretty popular. My local agent sent me a extension lead for my SU30, but the wire is just good quality silicon, so easy to make a extension, or solder in a extension into a existing lead. https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/produc...eosbpqgbdt52c2

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mr30-2-0...___store=en_us
Old 06-18-2020, 05:30 PM
dwr302

OK guys, so what is the fourth project gonna be?
Old 06-21-2020, 02:27 PM
dwr302

No it ain't caviar, just some number 6 birdshot and epoxy. I needed 7 ounces out front to balance at the book CG so I put it in the front of the canopy. I will put a thin layer of foam over the shot to make sure no wayward shot ends up in the front landing gear mechanism. Always gotta head off Murphy. With the added ballast and 8 oz. of fuel in the main tank the weight is 9 lbs. which is about 6 oz. less than the 8s EDF setup as Gary weighed it. With the 32 oz. Dubro tank filled total takeoff weight is 10.31 lbs. Pretty close to your set up Gary. It was interesting to fill the main tank and watch the Xicoy scales. The CG moved only 5mm forward of the recommended CG. So not bad with the main tank about 1 3/4 inches forward of CG. I should be able to reduce the ballast a little to move the CG back some so takeoff is just a couple mm forward of CG and landing a couple mm aft.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 PM
Viper1GJ

OK guys, so what is the fourth project gonna be?
FW 90mm F-16 for me. Anybody with tips for tank and pipe please post pictures of how you did it.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Viper1GJ

I should be able to reduce the ballast a little to move the CG back some so takeoff is just a couple mm forward of CG and landing a couple mm aft.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I kept taking weight out until it floated a little too much in the flare at idle and then went back some. It flies great now.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM
dwr302

Thought I should beef up the elevator pushrods a little following Gary's lead. I used 2-56 ball links at both ends of the rods. The second pic shows the final position for the batteries. the X45 runs on a 2S 2000 mah li-poly. I used the same for the RX and brakes. The battery location makes for easy service. I calculated that there is about a 4 oz. penalty for not putting them up in the nose cone, but since the all up weight and CG is about right I thought I would go with this setup. I ran up the turbine today with everything ready to go. There were no issues so the only thing left to do is go fly it. Conditions look good for tomorrow. I'll report back after the maiden.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Viper1GJ

Good luck. I'm taking mine out this weekend.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:43 AM
dwr302

The maiden was a no drama deal. I had trimmed out the jet with the EDF in it and had the CG at the same 150mm book location. The second flight was more interesting. After about two minutes I had a flameout. It happened with plenty of altitude so was able to get it around and into the pattern. It was a little too hot I figured so I left the gear up and slid it in on it's flat wide belly past the end of the runway. No damage! The pic below is after the second flight. So all is good. Just have to get the turbine sorted out.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:59 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

# 1 cause of flame out in turbines is fuel supply and air in the fuel lines. make sure your air trap does what it should.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:21 AM
dwr302

Another note on the F22. When I checked the air intake requirements for the X45 I found there was more than enough flow moving past the 32 oz. tank. So I decided to block off the two cheater holes for the EDF. I used some G10 material and 560 canopy glue. This turned out to be a good thing, keeping out the FOD during the belly landing. The canopy glue kept the G10 in place. Checked everything out and all is ok with the airframe. Got the turbine sorted out so hope to get some more flights the first of the week.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:25 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
# 1 cause of flame out in turbines is fuel supply and air in the fuel lines. make sure your air trap does what it should.
The fuel system in these new smaller motors like the X45 is so small its easy to clog things so proper fuel filtering is important before it goes in the tank. 2nd people should also make a habit of cleaning the fuel tank with fuel and discarding it once clean when you build the model. This doesnt mean add more filters one filter in the system is plenty, one pump on the suction side between pump and tank or if you have to use a UAT then filter between UAT and pump. All UATs are essentially filters so keep that in mind as well and even consider putting something on the vent if possible. Probably the biggest reason for trash in the tank is sucking through the vent and do feel bad about over sizing your vent system.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Viper1GJ

I got 3 flights on my F-22, 2 flights on the F-4, plus a bunch on the big F-16 this weekend. All went well till the last F-22 flight and my canopy hatch blew off on first turn after take off and got lost in a bean field. I pulled power back thinking I had lost a stab or vertical fin as the aircraft pitched up and seemed hard to control. After recovery I saw it was the hatch and was able to land with some down elevator to correct for the aft CG. Landing was nearly normal except for holding down stick. We never could find the hatch. Have to get a new one.

I think the problem is that I have the battery full forward in the radome and the foam fuse forward of the nose gear will flex down and allow the latch pin to pop out. I had installed a balsa spacer on the front of the hatch to close the gap real tight but with the flexing I don't think it was enough. I plan to put some stiffeners in the nose to eliminate the down flex on the nose before flying with the new cockpit hatch. Not sure just how yet but TBD. I recommend if you place your battery in the radome you make the nose stiffer.

Gary
Old 07-13-2020, 04:58 AM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

DWR302,
Did you happen to get any more flights on your F22? Just wondering as I am converting my 22 at the moment and using a 32 oz Dubro tank backed up against the wing tube sleeve. Just curious as to how she flies with that tank location slightly ahead of the CG? Also wondering if you balanced your 22 with the main tank totally empty or with a little fuel in it? Thanks
Old 07-13-2020, 07:01 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I enjoy looking at some of the conversions to foam airplanes guys are doing but curious why more folks haven’t converted some old DF birds...other than relatively inexpensive cost of foam birds. Especially when you think about the early turbines weighing twice as much if not more than the X45 and putting out roughly same thrust.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:39 AM
dwr302

I balanced it with 8 oz. of fuel in the tank which is about a quarter of a full tank. Check out post #111 for details. Flight is very smooth and stable using the book CG.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Viper1GJ

Originally Posted by Jonboy2
DWR302, Also wondering if you balanced your 22 with the main tank totally empty or with a little fuel in it? Thanks
I balance mine with landing fuel in the tank, about 20-30% fuel remaining.
Gary
Old 07-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yeahbaby
I enjoy looking at some of the conversions to foam airplanes guys are doing but curious why more folks haven’t converted some old DF birds...other than relatively inexpensive cost of foam birds. Especially when you think about the early turbines weighing twice as much if not more than the X45 and putting out roughly same thrust.
I converted a old BVM F86 to small turbine power and it flew very well. I removed all the old heavy formers that were needed for the OS91/Ramtec fan and was amazed how much lighter the jet was! Generally, anything that flew with a 91 IC engine or a 90-120mm EDF willf fly with a 10lb thrust turbine.
The following users liked this post:
yeahbaby (07-13-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.