Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox Sensor Switch V3

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox Sensor Switch V3

Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts
Default New Powerbox Sensor Switch V3

The PowerBox Sensor V3 is the third generation of the PowerBox Sensor, which is well-known throughout the world. For almost twenty years the PowerBox Sensor has represented the standard for small to medium-sized models thanks to its compact format and versatility.

By using the latest components we have been able to reduce the size of the Sensor V3 significantly. For example, the case is now exactly half as deep (11 mm compared with 22 mm). Nevertheless, the Sensor V3 still fits neatly in the aperture used by its predecessor.

The introduction of a top-quality aluminium case, machined and anodised, has brought a substantial increase in the unit’s cooling efficiency, with the result that the maximum continuous current capacity of the PowerBox Sensor V3 is around 35 % higher. In fact, the peak load capacity is twice as high: the Sensor V3 can handle more than 20 A for several seconds!

The Sensor V3 offers two user-selectable output voltages: for normal servos it can be set to a regulated 6.0 V, while a regulated 7.8 V is available for HV servos– provided that the batteries supply the higher input voltage required.

Power to the unit can be drawn from four different battery types: LiPo, LiIon, LiFePo, NiMH. Ultra-bright RGB LEDs are fitted to indicate battery voltage; they light up in various colours to display the charge status of the batteries.

CORE users also benefit from one special additional feature: both battery voltages can be displayed directly on the transmitter by means of telemetry.
FEATURES
  • High-performance battery backer
  • Ultra-light unit, compact format
  • Double regulated output voltage
  • Redundant switch and regulator circuitry
  • User-selectable output voltage: 6.0 V or 7.8 V
  • Separate RGB LED voltage indicators for each battery
  • Telemetry support for CORE systems
  • Supports 4 different battery types: 2s LiPo, 2s LiIon, 2s LiFePo and 5s NiMH
  • Regulator monitoring
  • Suppression of servo feedback currents

Old 08-10-2020, 01:01 AM
Dave Wilshere

First units arrived, neat package for smaller sports jets

Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

These are sweet!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:27 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I take it single click to turn on and off both batteries now instead of the old two finger triple click to turn the airplane on and off?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Yes, like the Gemini II
Old 08-10-2020, 10:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I have one coming for my giant Cub
Old 08-11-2020, 03:59 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I have one coming for my giant Cub
Mine has arrived for MY giant Cub, Balsa USA 1/3 with. OS Pegasus 320 !

The new unit offers substantial benefits over the previous version, many of
which I have used for years, including single button control and Core telemetry !
Old 08-11-2020, 04:19 AM
Dave Wilshere

One thing to understand with the thin nature of the new design, the wires are very close to the mounting flange. I spoke with Richard this morning and heatshrink will be added.
If you file a lead in slot like this it’s fine

Dave

Old 11-29-2020, 08:36 AM
danielcaceres1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question

Hi, from what I understand when using the powerbox sensor the capacity of your batteries is added. For example if I plan on using 4000mah I can use 2 2000mah packs with the sensor. Is this correct, or do I need 2 4000mah packs?
Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Thats a parallel setup, so capacity is additive
Old 11-29-2020, 09:22 AM
danielcaceres1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Thats a parallel setup, so capacity is additive
Thanks for the info! 2 2000 it is then
Old 11-29-2020, 09:28 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by danielcaceres1991
Hi, from what I understand when using the powerbox sensor the capacity of your batteries is added. For example if I plan on using 4000mah I can use 2 2000mah packs with the sensor. Is this correct, or do I need 2 4000mah packs?
Correct - It is like the Gemini. Think of mah as capacity or size of tank. You could technically run 1x 4kmah battery connected to the v3 or 2x 2Kmah batteries. You will probably end up with a similar flight time, obviously you loose the backup aspect of the system if you do not run redundant batteries. What is important is the user-selectable output voltages and battery type. Once you set it, it will deliver clean regulated voltage and the sensor will monitor each of the two batteries as you deplete them. It will warn you by way of LEDs when you begin to deplete them, condition of battery is color coded. It will also drain them both down fairly evenly. So if you have consumed 2Kmah and you lose a battery you will still have ~1Kmah in the functional battery. I installed one in a 1/3 scale cap this fall and I have been testing it in the shop. It works very well.

Note: Definitely cut relief slots for the wires, they are installed very close to the aluminum heat sync and unless you provide access you could pinch or fray a wire. Dave already covered this very well above, I learned this the hard way.

Last edited by skunkwurk; 11-29-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Dave Wilshere

If you fly Core you can connect this to the Rx and get real time figures too.
For years the Sensor switch has trounced every other switch set up with efficiency and safety, I have more than 2000 flights with Sensor switches and every one has been faultless. My first one is still in the original Classic Flash ‘manual’ airframe, still the same Thunderpower 2s 2100 Prolite cells, I lost track on flights past 600 on that airframe, one of my friends went past 850 on his unit (his turbine expired at 127 hours!) in the Flash I average 110Mah use per pack per flight.

Dave
Old 11-30-2020, 02:39 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Like Dave, I have been using the PB sensor switch for donkey’s years in jets and gliders without a single problem.

That said , I particularly like the new one, just ONE finger to actuate.

Looks njcer , too.