Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Top RC Odesey Heads up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Top RC Odesey Heads up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 10:19 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Top RC Odesey Heads up

Don't know if anyone else is run in to this or not on the top RC Odyssey. My second flight on mine, I took off, retracted the gear, and went to neutral the flaps. When I neutral the flaps the plane started banking hard right and pulling up on me. I got the plane trimmed out after I figured out what was going on. And finish the flight. I thought I lost a servo on the flap a linkage on a aileron. This was not the case. After landing I found out what had happened. The section of wing just in front of the flap on the top has a very thin layup of fiberglass. If you push down on this fiberglass and bring your flaps from half to neutral they can hang up on this thin area. This is what happened to me on the left wing during the flight. The air pressure over the wing was enough to push this area down while the flap was in its half flat position. You can actually see a chunk of the area missing on the left wing. I did fly two more flights on the plane and on the third flight the right flap did the same thing. But the server was able to overthrow the bind and finish breaking out the chunk of fiberglass. See the pictures. I plan on putting a fillet of fiberglass and epoxy underneath the thin layer of glass to stiffen the area up.

​​​​​https://photos.app.goo.gl/NCs3qUL6mzfR66JV9

Last edited by Jetpilot24; 04-25-2022 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-25-2022, 10:58 AM
BDK74
My Feedback: (5)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for de-lamination of the live hinge area. The force of the flap under load can cause it to “rise” and catch the wiper (gap seal) like that. I could be that it’s just too thin and/or too far from the drag spar. Several solutions to beef up that area. Easy to add a balsa sub rib every few inches
The following users liked this post:
snir2001 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 07:09 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have almost crashed my voyager before of the same problem, try to install your flap linkage internal truth the wing this will help with better geometry and don’t live your jet in sunlight and hot days the wings most likely will got softer from the heat
Old 04-26-2022, 11:10 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

No, you are not the first. Top RC is crap, and this is why they try to hide as much as possible on their Fb page where they moderate and control the content. You’re officially now a “troll” in their eyes (their words in another thread, I kid you not) for having told the truth about their horrible quality.
snir2001 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:23 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This is actually a very common issue with composite wings in general.
i have had the same happen on several manufacturers.
it usually occurs when something was pushing against the thin skin in that area, such as wing covers etc.
its good that you added some glass to stiffen up the area. you can also cut off 1mm all along the hinge line to get more clearance from the control surface.
The following 2 users liked this post by i3dm:
erh7771 (04-28-2022), Sparhawk (04-29-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:31 PM
i3dm

Originally Posted by highhorse
You’re officially now a “troll” in their eyes (their words in another thread, I kid you not) for having told the truth about their horrible quality.
OK lets set things clear once and for all. there is only one troll here and its not the OP.
i am the moderator of the TopRC group, and im a private hobbyist just like you. i am also the moderator of about 20 other RC groups (including vendor specific), so your claims about any company moderating any of my groups is completely out of line.
i do think the Facebook groups are the best place to get information, good or bad, and genuine information is NEVER moderated. this has been my way for 30 years in RC and the same applies for all my groups, not just TopRC.
i hope its finally clear and we can get back to modelling.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:34 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
This is actually a very common issue with composite wings in general.
i have had the same happen on several manufacturers.
it usually occurs when something was pushing against the thin skin in that area, such as wing covers etc.
its good that you added some glass to stiffen up the area. you can also cut off 1mm all along the hinge line to get more clearance from the control surface.
‘Well I own many composite A/C’s from Elite Aerosports / T-Ones / CARF / Skymaster to name a few…and I haven’t experienced d’élimination…..maybe I’m lucky (no not the reason) I had one Top RC jet on my bench and I sent it back…..
The following 2 users liked this post by Dansy:
lavi rider (04-30-2022), snir2001 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:19 AM
i3dm

its not delamination.
the surface LE simply hit the TE of the wing in the hinge line.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:24 AM
sysiek

So what I noticed about that brand, I know two friends that they winning today delimited specially the upper skin, my voyager has two close calls, one when my alieron got stock on the winglet and second with similar flap problem, the most important thing is that they don’t use quality epoxy or they have wrong mixture ration because they never fully cured with chemical reaction they look like they dry but not strong and when they heated they turned very soft like vinyl floor specially the skinny edges, they need to fix the quality of their models before they going to end up like fly eagle jets.
snir2001 (04-29-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 08:34 AM
Jetpilot24

I don't want to turn this thread into a he said she said type of thread I just threw this out here as information. All I wanted to know was if anyone else has had this issue with the Odyssey.
Looking at the wing last night I do not have delamination of the hinge. What I found is the layup is thin in the area where the flap meets the wing on top and the air pressure possibly pushed it down causing the flap to catch this trailing edge. I need to look at it a little more in depth to see what solution I can come up with to fix it. I did have an opportunity to see another Odyssey that was an older kit and it did not have the amount of flex at the trailing edge of the wing in front of the flap, As mine has.

Last edited by Jetpilot24; 04-27-2022 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-27-2022, 11:24 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 111 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi,
Perhaps gap sealing tape can be an easy fix to your problem. It was quite common for sailplanes.
Stick the tape to the wiper and pass it under the wing. The tape has to be wide enough so that it doesn't come out at full flap deflection. The tape will seal the gap and act as a guide for the wiper so it doesn't catch the edge of the wing.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:22 AM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Another thing you can do is take bra tape for a car and cut piece that sticks to curve edge of the control and make it long enough to go under wing skin. This has worked on several of my planes. This gives a smooth surface to glide under wing
Old 04-29-2022, 03:02 AM
snir2001

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you are not the first, and probably not the last who think that TopRC is crap.
Take a look at my experience with the Odyssey...

Introducing the Top RC Model Odyssey - New sport jet - build thread

Old 04-30-2022, 03:18 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by i3dm
OK lets set things clear once and for all. there is only one troll here and its not the OP.
i am the moderator of the TopRC group, and im a private hobbyist just like you. i am also the moderator of about 20 other RC groups (including vendor specific), so your claims about any company moderating any of my groups is completely out of line.
i do think the Facebook groups are the best place to get information, good or bad, and genuine information is NEVER moderated. this has been my way for 30 years in RC and the same applies for all my groups, not just TopRC.
i hope its finally clear and we can get back to modelling.

FARRRRRRRRR FROM THAT ..

I got over 40 years experience in composite structure design ..

A poorly designed structure ( or no design of any kind like some of these Chinese copy paste / fudging crap quality glue) of total lack of knowledge or just poor craftsmanship , lack of Q/C . Lead to these and other failures described here .

Unfortunately this will continue to happen as long as the community will keep feeding these companies.
Let’s be honest here .
A . These companies won’t let you surface their faults like proper professional companies do who actually strive for feedback to rectify and improve their products.
B. Products seldom fail . But a product constantly failing without any sign of rectification should ring a bell !

Unfortunately from first hand experience this company’s products are miserably manufactured etc .

I truly hope someone out there read the users comments and do something about it to take their products to a proper level .
snir2001 (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 05:38 AM
sysiek

Originally Posted by lavi rider
FARRRRRRRRR FROM THAT ..

A poorly designed structure ( or no design of any kind like some of these Chinese copy paste / fudging crap quality glue) of total lack of knowledge or just poor craftsmanship , lack of Q/C . Lead to these and other failures described here .

Unfortunately this will continue to happen as long as the community will keep feeding these companies.
Let’s be honest here .
A . These companies won’t let you surface their faults like proper professional companies do who actually strive for feedback to rectify and improve their products.
B. Products seldom fail . But a product constantly failing without any sign of rectification should ring a bell !

Unfortunately from first hand experience this company’s products are miserably manufactured etc .

I truly hope someone out there read the users comments and do something about it to take their products to a proper level .
+1
Old 04-30-2022, 12:01 PM
snir2001

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider
FARRRRRRRRR FROM THAT ..

Let’s be honest here .

Your post is actually unnecessary long
You can just summarize it like, TopRC is pure toy grade crap.
I know from first hand....

Old 04-30-2022, 12:59 PM
Jetpilot24

Everyone needs to stop this thread was intended for information purposes to find out if anybody had run into this on a top RC kit.

Last edited by Jetpilot24; 04-30-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:59 PM
Piggy18

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is very common on the odyssey.
Toprc is built cheap and are cheap to buy, this is fine except when there is an issue identified the social media fans shoot down the messengers instead of creating threads on how to improve the jets and warbirds sold as it really doesn't take much to make them 100% better and you end up with a cheap great flying plane.

Last edited by Piggy18; 05-04-2022 at 02:30 PM.
snir2001 (05-04-2022)