Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaper: magnitude for control surface throws?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaper: magnitude for control surface throws?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Propellars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reaper: magnitude for control surface throws?

Hi all, I have been flying my Super Reaper 3 times now, and I think its very sensitive on the elevator at high speed.

My control surface throws are:
Canard: +/- 25 mm (1 inch) and Ailerons (elevator) +/- 15 mm. Exponential 45%

The reaper is powered with a 32 lbs (14,5 kg) Frank Turbine turned down to 22 lbs (10 kg).

CG is right on the original spot, weight is appox 10.5 kg / 23 lbs wet.

What are your control surface throws on canard and ailerons?
Old 06-04-2004, 07:09 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Reaper: magnitude for control surface throws?

I have a Ram 750P which can put out 22lbs, but I am fly it on only 12lbs currently. My throws are setup in the following:

Canards: + 30mm / - 25mm
Aileron: + / - 20mm
Elevator: + / - 10mm
CG: 21.5"

Keep in mind I setup my Reaper like a Delta type jet with elevons too. I originally had the CG set to Mick's recommendation ( 530mm from the back) but it was very pitch sensitive. So I moved it forward to 21.5" from the back. Also, I add some downward thrust to the turbine which seems to also make it fly better at higher speeds.

JR Gautreaux
Old 06-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Propellars

Thank jetflyer,
I'll try to move CG 15 mm forward. I thought the "problem" was due to large canard movements, but yours are larger... How much exponential do you have?

12 lbs doesnt seem much! I find my 22 lbs is OK but i'll soon turn it up a little.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:40 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I'm flying by feel, so I don't havd any exponential in my setup. I started off with 16lbs of thrust on my Reaper and it was flying fast. Since this was my first turbine jet, I wanted to ease into the power and so I dropped it back down to 12lbs. This weekend though, I bumped it up to 14lbs and will see how it does.

Also, I had to rebuild my canards because I had the left one break during a high speed run over the runway. I set them up again with the throws I previously mentioned. I've heard a few Reaper flyers mention they only use the canards on take off and landing, so I thinking about setting a switch on my TX to allow me to switch them off during the flight. If I do that, I'm also thinking I might have to increase the elevon throw (elevator portion) a bit more to compensate. We will see.

Let me know how the Reaper flies with the CG a bit more forward.

JR
Old 06-05-2004, 10:06 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the flights I have had with my Reaper and WRen 54 were set up as per Micks recomendations, ie, balance right at 530mm from the TE and the canards basically maximum throw for take off and duel rates set at the max throw recommended. I was not using any elevon mix, and I found the plane not pitchy at all, but had a good feel in the pitch control. I use no expo.

I am hoping in a few hours to get out and test fly my Reaper with a larger engine, and with more fuel on board. When my forward tank is full, I have the balance set at 570mm from the TE (still well within the foreward 600mm limit) and when it empties I am back at 530mm. However I have set in some elevon mix and am anticipating some pitchiness,especially at full throttle. I just set my triple rates to compensate, and if it gets pitchy I drop to the next lower rate but go back to high rates for landing. At least thats how I like my planes set up, not liking the feel of expo too much.

AJC
Old 06-05-2004, 06:09 PM
turn and burn

my reaper has had the cannard taken of flying with a kj66 18 lbs i have it set up like a delta 20mm each way on every thing but as much as i can on take of and landing fly great but needs a rudder has any one put a rudder on there for knife eadge .if so what was it like
Old 06-07-2004, 05:19 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have my Reaper set up as a delta with elevon. It does not seem to sensitive on pitch at speed except for Down elevator! I flew yesterday and had my right rudder (and fin) flutter bad. It broke the fin some and pulled the servo horn off of the servo and broke the rod off of the control horn end. I was not even going very fast! I got the plane down without a problem. It looks like the splines on the output shaft of the JR 4721 servo are stripped. I was using a aluminum servo arm. Any one else using a servo with plastic gears on the rudders? I have metal gears every where else.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Propellars

AJC: so you flew ONLY with canards and it was smoth? Looking forward to hearing about flying with the large turbine (what size?)

DJ:
Thanks for your info, My TX (Futaba FC 18) cannot turn the canard off during flight, but I´ll try to reduce the magnitude for those in general.

knife egde I wouldnet dare for some time now, the ruders doesnt seem very strong...

Hi Geneh
Dont you use canards in the air either?

Rudder flutter – arg! I have heard that several times! How did you fasten your ruder? Mine are glued only, no screws. Perhaps i might give it some screws also..

---

I was just wondering if it really IS the control throw of the canards who makes it pitchy, or it is the existence of the canard alone...

Futher, most of you doesnt use exponential. I allways do, but in reality this makes the sensitivity HIGH’er when the the controlsurfaces are more than 50% deflected... Perhaps I just kill the exponetial stuff..
Old 06-07-2004, 06:54 AM
Propellars

sorry to ask but how do you include a photo together with your name and stuff??
Old 06-07-2004, 11:48 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Propellers,

Yes, I flew a few dozen flights without any elevon (pure canard elevators only). I found not too much difference with elevons mixed in at high speed, but a lot easier to get the flare for touchdown and also the take off rotation seems easier.

I am uising a KJ66 based engine producing 20 pounds thrust. The plane flies much faster, and takes offs especially are awesome. Allthough, once airborne, cruising around at 1/3 throttle is all you need for confortable flying.

I also have my rudders/fins glued onto the fuse and have not experienced any flutter. I am using Hitec digital servos with metal gears on my rudders (and ailerons and elevators as well).

Andrew Coholic
Old 06-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Propellars

Thanks AJC
Old 06-09-2004, 04:08 PM
turn and burn

found a reaper with rudder control on it so i took some pictures they had lead in the top of it for balance .going to do mine this week also my reaper in the back ground no cannards on it flies great but needs a rudder
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51765.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	141460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39619.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	141461  
Old 06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Propellars

hi DJ, here is my ruder setup, just for inspiration:
I'm using lead for balancing it aswell, just as Mick sugessts.

and the carnard setup aswell, since I deffently did not belive in Mick's standard construction.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37882.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	141782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31395.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	141783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38974.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	26.9 KB