Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Coloured smoke.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Coloured smoke.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Falcon 64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coloured smoke.....

For those of you having problems to read the German link under the Black Smoke thread, this is what you are looking for....
The powder mixed in the smokefluid is called IRIODIN, and getting it??
Just click this link to find a dealer near you...... [8D]
I guess there will be a change at the field soon..

http://www.merck-pigments.com/servle...560/index.html

Regards

Gudmund
Old 06-16-2004, 09:43 PM
rpmtech
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Coloured smoke.....

Hi Gudmund,

I believe those are pyrotechnic powders, we are looking for it to be liquid and when burned is black. The point is to be able to use our smoke systems to make a black smoke instead of the white that oil makes.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Falcon 64

Yes , you perhaps, but I am looking for the coloured smoke.
If I wanted the same thing as you, I would have posted it there.
The powder is to be mixed in the fluid, and gives the smoke a metallic effect.
Just what everyone did`nt know how to do?
Why don`t you use plack powder to get black smoke then??
Besides, the powder is not for pyrotecnical use, but for the plastic industry, carpaint etc.
Environmental friendly, resists up to 800 Celsius.

Regards

Gudmund
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67543.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	144161  
Old 06-17-2004, 01:15 PM
tofly
My Feedback: (2)

sounds interesting how much pigment are u mixing in your smoke fluid
Old 06-17-2004, 01:54 PM
SAP_2000

Take a look at the link, Gudmund.....

Here's a link for the skeptics.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/faqs.html#faq10

You have me convinced.... Let's try to get some of that powder we talked about on the phone and get some color
Old 06-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Falcon 64

Sceptisism is someones drawback. I guess someone have to show the rest, and I`ll bet I know him!
Yes, we have to place an order for this stuff soon, Ståle.
Any colour is awailable..

Regards

Gudmund
Old 06-17-2004, 02:14 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Gudmund

I just referenced your link for a US distributor. unfortunately, the tech rep was unavailable so I'll try again later.

so, the Irodin is a powder that we mix into our smoke oil? this gets injected aft of the engine in the normal manner and upon vaporization the white smoke is tinted according to the pellets involved.

is this correct?

any idea how much to mix or flow rate etc?

thanks

buck
Old 06-17-2004, 04:25 PM
Falcon 64

Hi Buck.
According to the link Ståle posted, your information about the full size method is the same as I came out with after reading it. I guess this method has to do with the extra weight it would be to carry ready mixed fluid with them. Using pure fuel as white smoke, and then add colour before it leaves the nozzle, is the smart way of doing it to save weight.
But as Iriodin is ment to be mixed in almost anything, included petroleum destillates, this way would still be the easy way for us., allthough I will assume it can colour the smoke in the " Red Arrows" way too.

I have not tried this powder yet, but will place an order very soon to test it myselves.

Btw, it isn`t me sitting besides the Albatros, it`s the World Champion Stephan Voelker from Germany.[8D]
I could be the biggest laugh, or a setup, if this shows to be a joke. And a really good one too, but I don`t think so!! The sceptics are allways behind the rest, and this should trig a lot moore than this seems to have done. It`s up to you.

The interested among us is highly recommended to click the thumb for "Pink Smoke" in the thread " Black exhaust smoke" here on RCU.
You can find it just underneath the same picture I have posted.
This leads you to the German forum where this all is discussed. Then it would be up to you guys to still be a sceptic[>:]
The direct link-adress was not allowed to post here, as this was rejected at my first attempt.

My oppinion is to be very greatful to the Germans, wich has made it again......Not the first time.
I don`t think it`s a very big secret longer either, as Spunky posted his contribution in " Black Smoke".

Mixingratio? Don`t know yet, but has a slight memory about 30%. It`s all there, for all of you. You use the same smoke unit allready installed in your jet.

Now It`s time for some salmonfishing!

Regards

Gudmund
Old 06-17-2004, 05:14 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Gudmund

thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the minatec stuff as it seems to provide the closest thing to black smoke. I'll let you know what I come up with over here.

post pix when able.

good luck

buck
Old 06-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Gazzer

Guys,

Keep us up to date on this, I have been researching this in the UK and found an organisation that makes a dye for diesel. Sadly they are very concerned about the handling of this product, health and safety and will not sell it to modellers. It also seems that a very small quantity is required in the mix, one dye (not necessarily the one for colouring smoke!) can mix 10k litres from one litre of dye!!

So not having got somewhere in the UK, I would be real interested in your progress.

Thanks,

Gazzer
Old 06-21-2004, 05:49 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I was working with the Red Arrows yesterday making the Traplet video at Kemble airshow and discussed dyes with the engineer officer Simon Race. He told me that the Reds use a vegetable based dye in the diesel for coloured smoke but it is only available in 100 liter drums. I am working on it !
Regards,
David Gladwin
Old 06-21-2004, 05:53 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the commercially available smoke pumps don't react to well to things other than liquid. Do these particles alter the viscosity of the fluid much?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:43 PM
UK Flier

I found this document that may be use.

Its the UK Ministry of Defence Standard 68-272 "Smoke Dye solutions Red and Blue"

I think our MoD must have a spec for everything even toilet paper but that one is probably classified.

Try the link below :-

http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/68/272/00000100.pdf
Old 06-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Gazzer

Thanks for the spec, I am having it analysed by a proper chemist, but it may not go anywhere.

If the handling of the dye is not an issue, the best thing one would hope is that someone buys the 100 gallon drum (!) and splits it down i.e. wholesaling and then works with a pump system to get us all coloured smoking.........

The firm I found were not prepared to sell on small basis as there appeared to be a problem with Health and Safety as in handling the material and were also concerned that the smoke would possibly "dye" the aircraft too. I can see the first issue as a problem, the dye may get everywhere and be impossible to remove, (I remember spilling glow fuel on the concrete steps of my house in 1977, and the stain is still there!!!!) and possibly may have some irritant value, but the second one, not so sure, I have never seen a blue red arrow!!!

David, your life must be so routine and boring, jet models and the red arrows, and living in a warm country with blue sky flying facilities........ I am not slightly envious (completely, well maybe!!!), I should get your items returned pdq now, had them a while!

Cheers,

Gazzer