Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Wow Sean, 200 flights!!! That's more than I've flown all my Reactions put together!

How about posting some pics of your workhorse?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: viper65

Today I put the 200th flight on my reaction which I have had for three seasons now. You couldn't ask for a better plane when it comes to sport flying. Hope everyone is having as much fun with thiers as I am. cheers to all you other reaction owners wooden or composite.enjoy! Sean in canada

Sean,
Are you planning to attend the Wingham Jet Rally in a few weeks (June 11,12,13)? I will be there with my R54 and I know Jim Brown will have his as well

AJC
Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 PM
viper65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am expecting to go to leamington and wingham. I was at both of these last year.There should be a few reactions for sure (three possible from down my way)heres a couple of pics (Thanks matt!)The engine is a PST600r which we had to put bearings and an ngv this year but it seems happy now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91879.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1437244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41086.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1437245  
Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 PM
ajcoholic

I would love to get to Leamington as well as Wingham, but its almost 11 hours drive from here (Timmins, in Northern Ontario) so I have to choose one.

I was flying an AD Phoenix and my AV8R last year in Wingham. But I think the R54 will see most of the flight time for this summer Its a great plane, shoudl have gotten in into the air sooner.

See you in Wingham! I am also taking photos for Fly RC for a possible article on the event... will have to get all the R54's together for a great shot!

AJC
Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
BruceTharpe

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

See you in Wingham! I am also taking photos for Fly RC for a possible article on the event... will have to get all the R54's together for a great shot!
Already sounds like the best article ever

Great flight shots, Sean, thanks for posting!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
viper65

five of the six reactions from leamington last weekend

Name:	Tr50859.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1448847  
Old 06-06-2010, 02:57 PM
ajcoholic

WOnder how many will be in Wingham next weekend?

I put another 3 flights on mine at our club's fun fly yesterday... we had a fire ban lifted just a few days ago so I wasnt flying jets for a few weeks.

Good to get her back into the air!

AJC

edit, here is a take off shot taken by a local photographer who was shooting our planes for fun..
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you can't see in the picture is the temporary duct tape covering the hole on the bottom front of the wing near the fuselage of my R54 (now repaired.)

I inadvertently discovered that a Reaction 54 will fly just fine with an overflow/taxi tank sitting on the wing, although the roll and pitch trims were just a little bit off.

Seems I was so anxious to get into the air that I completely forgot to disconnect the overflow/taxi tank before taking off. And for some reason I never noticed it snuggled up against the fuse. Someone yelled over just after I rotated and raised the gear asking if the tank was still on the plane and at that moment I realized what I'd done. Since the plane was flying ok (but a bit out of trim) I decided to complete a circuit while assessing the situation. As the plane flew past me, I could see the tank sitting on the wing, up against the engine, but it was not near the hot section. So, I decided the best thing to do would be to just land the plane. However, since the tank was pretty much on top of one of the flaps, I decided to do a no flap landing. Due to the lack of flaps, I ended up going long and landing in the grass off the end of the runway. Fairly smooth, but due to the faster stop, the tank slid foward, dropped off the front of the wing and rolled under the wing, poking a 3 inch hole in the sheeting.

That was on Friday. Flew 8 more flights over the rest of the weekend with duct tape covering the hole.

...jim
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: JimBrown

What you can't see in the picture is the temporary duct tape covering the hole on the bottom front of the wing near the fuselage of my R54 (now repaired.)

I inadvertently discovered that a Reaction 54 will fly just fine with an overflow/taxi tank sitting on the wing, although the roll and pitch trims were just a little bit off.

Seems I was so anxious to get into the air that I completely forgot to disconnect the overflow/taxi tank before taking off. And for some reason I never noticed it snuggled up against the fuse. Someone yelled over just after I rotated and raised the gear asking if the tank was still on the plane and at that moment I realized what I'd done. Since the plane was flying ok (but a bit out of trim) I decided to complete a circuit while assessing the situation. As the plane flew past me, I could see the tank sitting on the wing, up against the engine, but it was not near the hot section. So, I decided the best thing to do would be to just land the plane. However, since the tank was pretty much on top of one of the flaps, I decided to do a no flap landing. Due to the lack of flaps, I ended up going long and landing in the grass off the end of the runway. Fairly smooth, but due to the faster stop, the tank slid foward, dropped off the front of the wing and rolled under the wing, poking a 3 inch hole in the sheeting.

That was on Friday. Flew 8 more flights over the rest of the weekend with duct tape covering the hole.

...jim

Way to go, Red-green! See you in a few days...

AJC
Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
BruceTharpe

Good story, Jim, cracked me up
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
SteelersRule!

I know this is an incredibly stupid question but can this thing fly with anything other than a turbine? I'd like to pay the mortgage this month...........
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
BruceTharpe

Actually, it's a very reasonable question. The most obvious conversion might be electric ducted fan to maintain it as a "jet". Less obvious is a prop in the nose. Neither has been done to my knowledge, although a reduced-size Reaction with a fan was built by a modeler in Arizona. I'm not much into electrics, but I'd be interested in a discussion of suitable EDF units, batteries, etc. for the R54.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM
bobparks2

The larger EDF units like the Tamjets 100mm, if combined with a reasonable nacelle (mainly the inlet lip) will give static thrust close to what the 54mm turbines give, but the thrust will fall off faster with increasing airspeed, so the "up and away" performance will be less than the turbine. This would put the fan in the same spot as the usual turbine. (note, I have not checked to see if it would fit there!! might be a bit tight)

I have seen the TJ100 done with up to 5 kW of electrical power input. That is a lot of batteries! Now the R54 can easily carry them (and it normally takes off with several pounds of fuel anyway). But its quite a bit of money in battery packs, and if you probably want to take at least a couple packs to the field. Something like a 10 to 12S, 5 to 6 Ah pack.

So, you could do an EDF, and it will be cheaper than a turbine, but its still going to be a good size chunk of that mortgage payment.

Another EDF option could be a twin, sort of like a pair of your typical bizjet nacelles strapped to the sides.

If you would want to do the R54 with single motor and long, scale like inlets you need to make them a lot bigger than the turbine versions would normally have.

Of course, you dont need a turbine waiver to fly it.

Bob
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
SteelersRule!

Thanks for the info, good stuff. As batteries get smaller and smaller, maybe in a couple of years electric would be a little easier to do. I wouldn't trust mysef with a cigarette lighter let alone a turbine engine!!

Thanks again.......

What would the cost of a turbine to fly this anyway??
Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
BruceTharpe

Thanks for the input, Bob. For those that don't know, Bob designed the fan unit for Tamjets and from everything I hear, it's one of the finest units available in the EDF arena. He's also right about the cost - once you factor in the fan, the motor, ESC, batteries and chargers, you are approaching the price of a turbine.

Lou, I've got combo deals on the R54 kit and several turbines on my website. In fact, I need to do a little updating because JetCat just reduced prices on their turbines. Ballpark for turbine is $2300 - $2600 unless you look at Chinese turbines. The King-Tech K80 is becoming popular and costs less than $2k

BTE Combo Deals: http://www.btemodels.com/r54combodeals.html
Recommended Engine List: http://www.btemodels.com/r54engines.html
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
bobparks2

Lou,

Dont expect batteries to get much smaller for a while yet. For my job, I spend some time keeping track of battery technology. While there are some things with better energy to weight ratio than LiPoly, I would not expect them to be available or affordable for model use for quite a few more years yet. (examples.. Lithium Sulphur, Lithium with silicon nanowire anode) I think you will see improvements in safety and lower costs (although maybe not from the same vendors at the same time!).

Actually, if I were to do an electric R54, since it CAN carry a lot of mass, I would consider doing A123 type cells instead of LiPoly. Safer, great peak power, reasonably low cost, but a bit heavier than LiPoly.

I wouldn't trust mysef with a cigarette lighter let alone a turbine engine!!
At this point, I am not sure which would be the bigger risk for you! The super high power electric stuff needs to be handled with a LOT of care, just like turbines do.

Bob
Old 06-10-2010, 06:36 AM
SteelersRule!

Thanks Bob. Guess I will buy some more gas for the present planes.................
Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Stevembh

Hi All,

Today was the test flight on my rebuilt Reaction (ex Tommy Watson). All went very well with only 1 click of elevator & 1 click of aileron. What a relief it was when it flew so well - lots of hard work to get to this point. I will have a fly on Friday for the final part of certification.

More as it unfolds
Steve
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM
TommyWatson

Should we call it the Phoenix? You have done a great job on the restoration. I wish I could have got to Maryborough next wekend. let us all know how it goes up there.

Regards

Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Stevembh

Hi Tom,

Well I don't know about Phoenix - it hasn't actually arisen from ashes . I have attached a link to the video that was taken by a mate of mine on the test flight day. The video was extremely difficult to take as we were looking directly into the sun & made the viewfinder appear to be blank. I guess we are lucky to have got as much as we did.

We have been setting up for the last 2 days for our jet weekend with quite a few guys already here - some are camping on site with motorhomes/caravans/campers & tents. we have reticulated power from a 20kVA genset with 3 phase distribution for the camp area, food prep area etc. All of the guys staying on site are wrapped with the facilities.

I have seen at least 4 maybe 5 reactions on site already including one 10% larger than original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_OiWV0yOU

I will hopefully be able to post some photos from the field of the event.

Steve
Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 AM
TommyWatson

Hi steve,

Great maiden flight. Wait until you get hold of the sticks. I would have struggled to fly in those conditions. Looking straight into the sun. Wow. I am sure you will have a great time at the jet meet. My mate Garry Turna from Perth is coming up. Say hello to him for me. I was planning to come but I have to work. Perhaps next year when I am finaly retired I will drive up and bring my Reaction and Turboprop.

Regards
Old 07-02-2010, 03:45 AM
Stevembh

Hi Tom,

I met Gary late this afternoon when he found me & introduced himself & explained that he knew you quite well. Today has been a practice day for the guys to familiarise themselves with the field & also for certification of models. I still haven't had a chance to fly the Reaction as yet. I have uploaded some photos of the field, pits & onsite camp area that we have here. We have a 20kVA 3 phase genset on site supplying power to the camping facilities as well as the canteen facilities & the newly built shower/toilet. Yes we even have hot water for the shower.

Best regards
Steve

Name:	Db83856.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1461854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87531.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1461855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58901.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1461856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gn34694.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1461857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug53023.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1461858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85496.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1461859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya57303.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1461860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu68861.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1461861  

Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 AM
TommyWatson

Glad to see Garry me up with you. He is a good friend of mine. I went to his place when I was in perth for the Red Bull Air race.

Have a good time and have that first jet flight. You will soon sell all your prop stuff.

Regards

Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Stevembh

Hi Tom,

Would you belive I was in Perth for the Red Bull Air Race also. I have been working down at Busselton & we went to Perth for the Sunday to look at the race. I believe you may have a similar technical background to me from what Gary tells me. I work in the broadcasting industry specifically AM MF/HF area. We have just added another MF 15kW service to the existing site at Busselton. I build & commission the RF side of the transmission system & at this one I designed built & wrote the software for controlling the antenna switching system.

Steve
Old 07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
TommyWatson

Hi steve,

I work on Ericsson Mobile networks. I commision the radio base stations. I helped built the Telstra NextG network. I retired in Feb this year but I got a call from my old boss and he made me an offer I could not refuse. I worked for Telstra for 40 years and Ericsson for 10 years. Working with the kids keeps me young in the mind. It also gives me the cash to do the things I like to do like flying in a russian Mig 29. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppkjx7Iy76s I will finally retire soon and get back to model flying every second day with my old mates.

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.