Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Amount of fuel enough??? >

Amount of fuel enough???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Amount of fuel enough???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amount of fuel enough???

I have a cjm f-4 that i installed the bvm f-4 fuel tanks setup, i believe it to be about 135oz of fuel or just over a gallon, i have a artes rhino installed, is this going to be enough fuel or should i or can i install 2 more small tanks behind the mains in line, will this put to much resistance for the pump, it has right now to mains teed to the heaedr which feeds the uat. what do you guys think, aould it be a good idea to add two more tanks????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54321.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	324675  
Old 09-16-2005, 02:42 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Amount of fuel enough???

You've got about eight minutes of flying time at full throttle. If you think 6 mins is enough (plus 2 min reserve) then you're fine.
I wouldn't worry about the pump. My P-120 is pulling 5 tanks with no problems.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:59 AM
My Feedback: (24)

After some 130 or so flights on my KingCat with a Rhino on it, I find that it burns about 14 oz/minute per flight with fairly agressive throttle usage........Rhinos do suck the JetA at full throttle, but they have lots of power at 1/2-3/4 throttle which cuts overall consumption down to reasonable levels.....I routinely set my timer for 9 minutes at the start of takeoff and had enough left for at least 2 go-arounds if necessary.....the KC carries 160 oz total fuel.....so I would deduct at least 1 minute, maybe even 1 1/2 minutes for 135 oz.....

Tom
Old 09-16-2005, 10:24 AM

ok, if I add the two smaller tanks behind the mains would i just balance full of fuel since they would be behind the cg????
Old 09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Will you be Test flying this plane yourself at Fresno? If so, what day?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:51 PM

i will have it there but i think i am going to wait to test fly at crows just to have a little more space, i will need some help for sure, i might get a nervous tick in my thumb.... i want everyone to check it out at fresno and i can get some tips from the pro's. I was thinking if balanced empty my header tank and uat are in front of cg so when full it will be nose heavy on takeoff, if i add the 2 extra tanks behind the mains it may make the balance perfect for takeoff and get slightly nose heavy after fuel is burned off. just a thought