Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Visit to the INTREPID

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Visit to the INTREPID

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 02:56 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intrepid Pics

Thanks for all the great pics. I hope I can get up to see the Intrepid myself in the spring
Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 AM
LTV_A7D
My Feedback: (2)

Default My favorite hang-out as well

It's tough living here in the city sometimes. But, it does have its' up-sides. Intrepid is certainly one of them. I've taken hundreds of pictures on Intrepid. Only recently have I begun to take digital ones. Since we're on the subject in this forum, here are more of what EasyT. has already shown you. If you visit Manhattan, skip the Met and go here instead. It Rocks.

Steve

http://www.pbase.com/stephenabbott/favorite_aircraft

PS: I hope the link is permitted. It just makes it easier to show the photos rather than cramming them here.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:04 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Visit to the INTREPID

You're right, nothing uglier than an F-16 except an A-10, but the A-10 isn't grotesque. BUT, the F-4 was a wonderful airplane. The only one I liked better was my Cranberry, a B-57B that Uncle let me fly. Later had a B-57D (long wing) that I didn't like half as much.

Combat twins get you wins!

WLR
Old 11-11-2002, 10:55 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry to nit pick but the Sea Hawk is actually a Supermarine Scimitar, at least it was when I last was on the Intrepid in August !

Very different aircraft. The swept wing transonic Scimitar had twin Rolls Royce Avons and was DEAFENINGLY loud. Sea Hawk one Nene (or was it a Derwent ?) and a straight wing.

I have been considering this machine as my first attempt at a totally original twin gas turbine powered model. Big wing, massive carrier type landing gear, perfect. Fuel in underwing tanks. Tailplane structure stiffness is the problem; perhaps when time permits I'll get back to it.

I do hope Intrepid looks after this airframe, there are only three left in the world

The unidentified aircraft is a tank with (small) wings.

BRG, David Gladwin
Old 11-11-2002, 11:14 PM
William Robison

BRG, David Gladwin [/B]

Oh come now! The small unidentified aircraft is a "Regulus," even if you didn't recognize it the name is clearly painted on the side facing you in the picture! It was referred to as an "Unmanned Bomber," what we now call a cruise missile. The Regulus and the Snark both used celestial navigation, but weren't very accurate.

Only one engine? You're missing an engine!

WLR
Old 11-11-2002, 11:25 PM
William Robison

Just went back and looked at the pics. An error: The one labeled "Blackbird" isn't. It's either a YF-12 or a YF12A. Couldn't tell from the pic, if it has sub rudders folded under it's a YF-12, without the subrudders it's a YF-12A. ALL the SR-71's were "Two-Holers," with visible windows for the second crewman about 6' behind the pilot. I was there, Charlie.

An engine PAIR is fine fare.

WLR
Old 11-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Brucem

Default Intrepid

G'day Easytiger,

Thanks for your company the other day on the Intrepid!!.

It was absolutely great.

Sorry about the air sickness on the simulator, I was as amazed as what you were that it goes inverted but what a super cool ride. Glad we did before we had lunch!!!!.

I have made it into Washington and can recommend the Air & Space Museum to anybody. Will try and go to Garber tomorrow.

Thanks once again for your New York City Hospitality.

Brucem
Old 11-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Bruce, didn't I tell ya the Intrepid was THE sight to see in NY?
Old 11-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Brucem

Default Intrepid

G'day Terry,

Yes, you were right. Top spot for anyone going to the "Big Apple".

I enjoyed it more an the organized tours!!!!!.

Regards
Bruce
Old 11-12-2002, 02:09 AM
aparchment

Default Intrepid

Hey Easytiger:

Thanks for the heads up on the full motion flight simulator. I must have missed that when I last visited the Intrepid a few years ago -- probably because I had an unappreciative audience in tow. I will have to go back when I visit my brother, who now lives downtown.

Thanks also for the laugh -- "it's still New York Pally." That expression reminds me of one of my best friends from NY.

By the way, do you fly at Floyd Bennett field?

Antony
Old 11-12-2002, 02:54 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intrepid

Originally posted by aparchment
Hey Easytiger:

Thanks for the heads up on the full motion flight simulator. I must have missed that when I last visited the Intrepid a few years ago -- probably because I had an unappreciative audience in tow. I will have to go back when I visit my brother, who now lives downtown.

Thanks also for the laugh -- "it's still New York Pally." That expression reminds me of one of my best friends from NY.

By the way, do you fly at Floyd Bennett field?

Antony
Nothing worse than going to an aviation anything with an unappreciative anybody! Almost better just to stay at home...

This simulator, called G-force or something like that, may not have been there when you were there last. It was pretty darned cool...they actually have a simulator for the simulator, where you can practice, without getting airsick! Mention my name to the girl, either you can get a free ride or maybe you will just get thrown off the ship...
Yep, I fly at Floyd Bennet. I made some of those scorched divots on the concrete runway...
Old 11-12-2002, 03:01 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Default Re: Intrepid

Originally posted by Brucem
G'day Easytiger,

Thanks for your company the other day on the Intrepid!!.

It was absolutely great.

Sorry about the air sickness on the simulator, I was as amazed as what you were that it goes inverted but what a super cool ride. Glad we did before we had lunch!!!!.

I have made it into Washington and can recommend the Air & Space Museum to anybody. Will try and go to Garber tomorrow.

Thanks once again for your New York City Hospitality.

Brucem
Yeah, I once took a ride in a Pitts Special right after a lunch at the Orange County Airport greasy spoon type diner...biiiiig mistake. One more quarter of a roll and I would have been cleaning the cockpit after the ride. This stomach not certified for aerobatics.
Too bad you did not have more time, we could have gone out to Floyd Bennet, or maybe even up to Rhinebeck, a place you HAVE to visit once in a lifetime.
Thanks for the stuffed kangaroo, too! Baby Kit went ballistic over it, though she also clamped the little clip-on koala right onto my big toe and it still smarts! I am sending you a little care package...
Thanks for stopping by, really enjoyed the visit...
Old 11-12-2002, 03:03 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Originally posted by William Robison
Just went back and looked at the pics. An error: The one labeled "Blackbird" isn't. It's either a YF-12 or a YF12A. Couldn't tell from the pic, if it has sub rudders folded under it's a YF-12, without the subrudders it's a YF-12A. ALL the SR-71's were "Two-Holers," with visible windows for the second crewman about 6' behind the pilot. I was there, Charlie.

An engine PAIR is fine fare.

WLR
I stand corrected. When one comes up for sale in Trade-a-plane, I will hold out for two seater, I need someplace to put my golf clubs...
Actually, I just bought the YA kit...and Bruce M has one all ready to go, he ought to post some pics when he gets home!
Old 11-12-2002, 03:08 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Originally posted by William Robison

Oh come now! The small unidentified aircraft is a "Regulus," even if you didn't recognize it the name is clearly painted on the side facing you in the picture! It was referred to as an "Unmanned Bomber," what we now call a cruise missile. The Regulus and the Snark both used celestial navigation, but weren't very accurate.

Only one engine? You're missing an engine!

WLR
Yup. The Regulus was one of those interim weapons systems that had its sole existence due to the fact that the USN did not want to let the USAF have the only nuclear capability. The AJ-1 Savage is another one of those rather unlikely nuclear delivery systems from the same era...just a stopgap until the big Polaris missle subs came around.
How about this: I actually HAVE a Regulus! It's a Berkeley ARF jetex model from the fifties, and it flies alright! I had to climb a tree to retreive it once. If I remember right, they did add an elevator...
Old 11-12-2002, 03:11 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Originally posted by David Gladwin
Sorry to nit pick but the Sea Hawk is actually a Supermarine Scimitar, at least it was when I last was on the Intrepid in August !

Very different aircraft. The swept wing transonic Scimitar had twin Rolls Royce Avons and was DEAFENINGLY loud. Sea Hawk one Nene (or was it a Derwent ?) and a straight wing.

I have been considering this machine as my first attempt at a totally original twin gas turbine powered model. Big wing, massive carrier type landing gear, perfect. Fuel in underwing tanks. Tailplane structure stiffness is the problem; perhaps when time permits I'll get back to it.

I do hope Intrepid looks after this airframe, there are only three left in the world

The unidentified aircraft is a tank with (small) wings.

BRG, David Gladwin
Definitely screwed the pooch on that one. I'm embarrassed, especially since I have the recent AEROPLANE issue with the big spread on the Sea Hawk sitting right at the top of the magazine pile in the bathroom!
The Scimitar is not as interesing an aircraft. I would swear I once saw a video of a DF Sea Hawk that somebody in the UK built...it's perfect for turbine, keep up posted. Make any progress on the Lightning?
Old 11-12-2002, 03:48 AM
William Robison

Easytiger, I wasn't jumping on you, (Remember it's New York, Pally) but remembering that is IS NYC I thought they probably had it mislabeled. Every Dumb-dumb knows the SR-71. Who's ever heard of a YF-12? But being a YF-12 that is probably one of the oldest of that basic airframe still staying away from the scrap heap! Most were converted to '71 specs. The airplane was really too much for a single pilot with the electronics we had then, and some other things I haven't read about in the press, so we'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say that the "Other" things were why I transferred to TacAir when we got the '12s. Unbelievable ride, but what we had to go through to get inside! (3500mph, 100,000', a BIG WOW!) You say "Never No Way?" Check the world speed/distance record. France to the Left coast, average speed was over 2000 mph, and they slowed down TWICE to refuel!.

You have two? Go on through!!

WLR
Old 11-12-2002, 03:50 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Hey, aren't there a few still in service? I bet they have some secret satellite killing gear aboard...
You FLEW one of these? YOW...I am impressed, truly...
Old 11-12-2002, 04:11 AM
William Robison

I was struck off the rolls for refusing to contiue with the "Other" things. A lot of strange things in them - look back over your shoulder and you could see the LE of the wing glowing red. If you could have bared your hand to touch the windows you'd never do it again, I never did, but the engineers told me the windows were over 600 degrees F at cruise. A space suit was required. Which was one of the fun things. Not wearing it, but getting it on. Couldn't dress ourselves, within was a "Relief Tube" which we weren't allowed to put on, it all had to be done by the dresser/rigger. We had a cute little girl in the WAFs who was a dresser/rigger...Yes, that was the fun part I was just remembering.

Two props, You're TOPS!

WLR
Old 11-12-2002, 06:55 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Bill, Easytiger,
I was referring to the F4 as the unidentified !! Are you serious that you liked the Canberra better than the F4 ?
The Canberra was great aircraft in its time (the PR9 still is) but the only thing it could do better than an F4 was to out turn it at altitude (any altitude !) if the F4 stayed subsonic.

Back in 69 got a serious rollicking from the boss of 43 sqn when I splashed his shiny new F4 in my ancient Canberra 'cos he had a burner problem and couldnt go supersonic.
Wonderful times !
BRG, David Gladwin
Old 11-12-2002, 08:25 AM
William Robison

Default The Cranberry and the Ghost (Phantom)

Yes indeed, I liked my Cranberry a lot better than the F-4. I must admit, though, it might have been jealousy. I've always had a low blood pressure, I couldn't take the G's in the Phantom. Did get to play with one a couple of times, had I been assigned to drive the things I would probably have loved them too. Yes, the B-57 (USA versions) of all types except the D and F models would wipe the back of an F-4 with no effort, if you could keeep the Ghost in a turning contest. If the F-4 got to fighting speed, 400-450, you were toasted in the Canberra. BUT if you had a D model '57, and a five minute head start, the Phantom might be able to take one "Zoom" pass before you got to 65,000 feet, still climbing. Once you got UP, all you had to worry about was the rising stall speed and the lowering Mach speed. Sometimes it was like a tight rope. Stay above stall, and below Mach. It was worse with the "F" model, which was a four engined variant. Just about the only thing I really liked about the "Sled," the YF-12 just kept going. Mach? Never noticed it. Stall? Wuzzat? Something to eat? But the thing would not turn. You've heard about the supertankers taking 100 miles to turn around? Same thing. The only way to approach a rapid turn was roll to 90, yank, and wait. That's the way you do the Phantom also, of course without the wait, the Phantom would come right around. BUT, if you did too much your speed went to zilch, you and your Ghost became real ghosts. The sled didn't slow down, the Cranberry also kept going and wiped the F-4.
I am sure you are right, Easytiger, there are probably several Sleds still operational, hidden somewhere, the SR versions.
David Gladwin, A little birdie told me that you quit "Eating Cranberries" and became a fancy bus driver. Any truth in that? And did you ever get a chance to play with a Martin '57, or were yours all EE?

Twins are IN!

WLR
Old 11-12-2002, 04:01 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I want to hear about the "Other things!" Mind control rays? Particle beams? What they got in that back seat there?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:33 PM
William Robison

Easytiger, are you following me, or am I following you? (laugh)
The YF-12 didn't have anything in the back seat, there wasn't a back seat to put anything in. It did have a fantastic electronic suite, though. Included were a comm radio that was all but totally invulnerable to interception because of its rapid and seemingly random frequency shift but it often lost sync with the ground station, could not be reset in flight. A later development is currently in use, referred to as "Frequency agile." The AFCE system was fantastic, even current "RNav" systems don't have its capabilities. (Sorry - Automatic Flight Control Equipment) It could be programmed to operate the airplane from its parking spot, taxi to the runway, take off, fly the mission, fly back, land and park the plane, all without operator intervention. All you had to do was start up, and later shut it down. Or that's what the boys with high foreheads said. The truth was that the systems would all drift to a greater or lesser extent, the longer the mission the greater the drift. So if you wanted to hit the runway, and not land a half mile out or to one side (Always got the heading right) you had to babysit the AFCE. Or hand fly. Current (military) systems much better, many current civil autopilots do have an "Auto land" system, but FAA regs say aircraft will be hand flown for landings.
Regarding the "Other" things, I don't know what the current classification is so to be on the safe side I will continue to say nothing.
As a side note, I just checked at Amazon.com, they have 19 listings for Joe Poyer's first, and in my opinion best, novel. The title is "North Cape." The first chapter shocked me when I read it, made me think he had been flying sleds in the 60's. Read that and you'll have a very good idea about the "Other." Read the rest of it too, it's a good adventure/survival story set in the far north.
Enough for now.

Take to the air, but only with a pair!

WLR
Old 11-13-2002, 01:43 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

If you are flying the Blackbird...EVERYBODY is following you! I think you win the Fastest Guy On RCU Award, anyway...

Does the AFCE system also automatically reduce your pay when activated? It's only fair...

"Other things"...come on...tell us what's in Hangar 18 out there at Groom Lake. I promise not to blab...

I'll pick up the book you suggested...
Old 11-13-2002, 02:42 AM
William Robison

Easy, when not hand flying we were usually asleep in the driver's seat. Really. Read the book. A lot of sled drivers burned out early because of our naps. I didn't want to go that way so I bailed out. Read the book. You'll understand.

I got a pair, you got a pair, all God's chillun got a pair!
(OK, the original said "Shoes")

WLR