Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Starfire or Interceptor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Starfire or Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:34 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starfire or Interceptor

I need a new ducted fan jet. I was looking at the YA Starfire and Top Guns Interceptor. I know the YA Starfire is a proven design. I have never seen an Interceptor fly. Anyone have input on the Interceptor? It's hard to beat their prefab price also.
Thanks,
Craig
Craig's Page
Old 12-11-2002, 02:42 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Interceptor is a very Good Jet, Quite fast with OS 91 and Dynamax or Ramtec, 180+. Screamer with Turbine!!!
NOT a beginner aircraft, though. If you go for one let Ben "Ghost Rider"or I know and we can help.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:56 AM
ckoerner

Terry,
I have flown my YA F-18 a few times, so I should be ok with either one. I have e-mailed you about this jet before. I just wanted to get a couple of opinions. I can tell that you like yours. I have an OS91 and Dynamax laying around waiting for a home. TG is basically in my back yard. Steve let me fly my F-18 out there a few times. I love your paint schemes. I am also a Terry L. fan. Now if he could start winning races again.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 12-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Default interceptor

I just bought me a TGA interceptor(prefab version) I cant believe how much work has been done for the sale price of 495.00 thru xmas..The wings,horizontals & vertical are presheeted,fuse all primed out of the box & 100% ready to paint...All formers are preinstalled including all spars for all surfaces,gear blocks installed already,all leading edges already done...out of the box the only thing left to do is glass surfaces,install trailing edges,glue in stabs/wings,glue in intakes(area already cut out.)then paint & install gear/radio...A piece of cake,easiest /quickiest kit i've seen out of the box ,esp for the cheap price they are offering now.

I personally love the look of the interceptor and chose it over a starfire which i thought about in the beginning stages...the intercptor is much sleeker and lighter,i do believe i'll be able to get mine at approx 10-11 lbs RTF.I am painting mine a russian agressor scheme (in red)daryll from Top Gun says this jet will break 190- 200 allday long with a 91 & full gear doors which i'm doing on mine.I hear a couple were clocked at top gun this year,1 did 218 & 220 in a dive (2 for 2)-with a 91/full doors & the other did 169 level with only a os77 and no gear doors..with that in mind it should run circles around any starfire on its best day.I feel with what i've learned and input from daryll ,the interceptor should be very stable and as gentle to fly as a starfire ,as long as long as you use minimal manual recommended throws on elv. to
prevent snap .I will post pics of mine as it should be complete /RTF in less than 3 weeks.I will also post flight report as well.shes gonna be a beauty,I can see it now.

steve
Old 12-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

The Interceptor is a very cool looking airplane, but it aint gonna run no circles around no Starfire [the double-negatives are for emphasis]. On the two occasions that I had an opportunity to see them both in the sky simultaneously, it was noticeable that the Starfire was faster. Without question, it lands slower.

Like I've previously stated, though, at the current price ($595 according to their site), the Prefab Interceptor's a good deal. Manufacturing-wise, the Starfire kit is (in my very, very, very humble opinion) superior to the Interceptor kit by far, but since you can get a prefabbed one so cheap right now, why not? At first glance, I also prefer the looks of the Interceptor, but after flying a Starfire, I, like so many others, found out that the looks of the Starfire quickly grow on you. Especially when you can get the bird airborne in less than 100', and hover it in a 10mph headwind with flaps. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Scott Ramberg
My Feedback: (15)

Default Starfire

Diddo Shaun's comments. I have owned two Starfires, loved them both. I have only seen one Intercepter fly and it was a tank. The YA Starfire builds very light therefore you get high speed and slow landings.
Scott
Old 12-11-2002, 11:34 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree that the starfire 2 with a ram 750 weight 15 pound dry and fly great.

I lost mine when my push rod on the elevator broke lose off the
support on a high speed turn, need to glass those rods
Old 12-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Blueskies21

Default reply

hey shaun- I respect your opinion/input ,but personally I am more partial to the interceptor,especially being that i have owned 4 top gun jets now,they are built very strong,very good quality , in my beginning jet days I landed my TGA mig29 so hard learning how to fly jets and plowed it in nose first a couple times with no damage whatsoever ,the average jet couldnt have stood the abuse my mig indured.Now I own 2 yellow jets too-a f4 & a f16 which I love .As to the weight of interceptor being heavier than a starfire is not totally accurate ,alot of interceptor are coming out in the 10-11 lb range as light or lighter than some starfires,the jets are almost exact same size ,biggest diff. is the wing is thicker on a interceptor ...RCU forum History will reflect as steve & darren will, that interceptors are easily in the 170-190 range level flight ,clean of course with full doors with os91's...in a dive they are seeing 190-220 ,as i stated before per my convo with darren ,2 were clocked at top gun this year in those speed ranges.Now you say you witnessed the 2 jets in sequenced flights this year and noted the starfire was considerably faster,well thats fine and duely noted, but that just 1 starfire up against 1 interceptor on that occassion,there are many others all
over the country/world that have been as fast as starfires or maybe even faster for that matter,whats to say the 1 you watched was built heavy as hell or maybe the guy used 12 tubes of aeropoxy or maybe he had a crap engine.My point here is that starfires are known for very high speeds but so are interceptors.Both jets have been witnessed and seen the same high speeds in many occassions,i did alot of research on the interceptor before I bought one.I'm no jet expert by any means but the jets are very closely tied in overall speed/flight
characteristics .Interceptors are light sport jets too...once again not trying to step on any toes or bash any other jet ,cause hey we are in such a huge hobby with so many choices of jets available it could take the average guy a year just to decide which 1 he wants to buy..cause theres so much knowledge and info to absorb when making a good choice

Steve

Old 12-12-2002, 01:37 AM
ckoerner

Default Re: reply

" it could take the average guy a year just to decide which 1 he wants to buy..cause theres so much knowledge and info to absorb when making a good choice"

I have been trying to decide since I lost my F-18 back in June.
Later,
Craig
Old 12-12-2002, 03:44 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

My own personal TGA Interceptor was clocked "Radar gun" at 187 in level flight at HOH three years ago without gear doors.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:42 AM
sandman-RCU

Over the years I have had a chance to build and fly most of the TGA and Y/A jets. When I moved up to the TGA Interceptor, I also checked out the JMP starfire. I picked the Interceptor back then and was very successful with it. Later I had a chance to fly a couple different stafires and I have to say that I would still choose the Interceptor over the starfire today. I realize that the weight, engine and various other things can effect the flying and landing speeds. Taking that into consideration, I was always able to make a slower more stable landing with the TGA Interceptor. Top end speed with out a radar gun or some way to accurately document it is hard to call. I think my Interceptor was the fastest of the ones I had the chance to fly. You will not be disappointed with your Interceptor.
I see that you are from the same state as TGA, Illinois. How far away from them are you ? TGA is very helpful to their customers and if you are close enough, you can take full advantage of their fantastic Tech. assistance. I have heard they even have a 3500 ft runway they lease for testing their turbines and customers can fly their TGA jets there any time. Thats worth something in itself.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 12-12-2002, 08:54 AM
Shaun Evans

Steve,

Great post. You're right, one can never say for sure what causes a particular plane to perform a particular way on a given day. You're also right that there are a lot of jets out there, and most guys who've been at it even a little while know which ones (very few) are the bad ones. Fly what you like!

I've built two (owned four) TGA jets over the years, and I like them. I think their F-15 is tough to beat for a first jet, and they're reasonably priced. I appreciate the laser cut parts, and the relative ease of assembly, but I much prefer Yellow's glasswork and parts fit.

I don't really know that much about the JMP Starfire, except that it has a different wing than the Yellow version. The Yellow Aircraft version has swept wings and stabs, and an undercambered airfoil, which really helps stabilize it at low speeds. More so than any other sport jet I've seen or flown, the Starfire can float home dead from far away, too. They've been a common sight at meets and fields for years, because it's a very good airplane. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:19 PM
ckoerner

Paul,
I only live 45 minutes from Top Gun. He let me fly my Yellow F-18 out there last summer. Nice long runway, a few trees next to the runway. Hopefully it will be there a little longer. I think they plan on putting a neighborhood there. A few guys come from the Chicago area on Sundays to fly their jets. Top Gun is convenient for me. My girlfriends dad lives two blocks away from Top Gun. We usually visit him once a month. I take my planes when I go and fly out at their strip. Steve is a great guy. Even though I showed up with a Yellow Aircraft plane, he did not have any problem with it.
Thanks,
Craig
Craig's Page
Old 12-12-2002, 03:11 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

FWIW, I would say that I have logged more flights on TGA INTECEPTOR than anybody in the world. I've owned 3 DF versions and now a RAM 750 powered Interceptor. Yes I use to burn a case of wildcat 5% fuel every week and all flights are from grass field.

About 10 years ago when I debut my first INTERCEPTOR at Jets Over Deland, it was clocked at 210 MPH during a speed run. I named my first Interceptor "MONGOOSE" aka VIPER KILLER because it will keep up with BVM speed-demon called VIPER.

I have also owned a JMP DF Starfire, and Y/A RAM 750 powered Starfire and they are all exceptional aircraft. IMOH, Starfire will outrun an Interceptor but the advantage of Interceptor over Starfire is that you can fly it off grass field and you can not beat the $$$ that TGA is currently offering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40722_521.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	25128  
Old 12-13-2002, 02:20 AM
ghost_rider

1 more
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40729_521.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	25129  
Old 12-13-2002, 04:34 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by ghost_rider
......you can not beat the $$$ that TGA is currently offering.
I went to the TGA website and cannot find anything about a deal on the pre-fab Interceptor.

Where is it?
Old 12-13-2002, 08:20 PM
ghost_rider

Originally posted by maverick

I went to the TGA website and cannot find anything about a deal on the pre-fab Interceptor.

Where is it?
Click here
Old 12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
maverick

ghost_rider I saw that page with the price of $595 but Steve (Blueskies21) posted above that the sale price was $495 and this is the price I could not find.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:43 PM
ghost_rider

You can find it under the price list from the home page or click here
Old 12-13-2002, 08:47 PM
maverick

Default Re: interceptor

Originally posted by Blueskies21
I just bought me a TGA interceptor(prefab version) I cant believe how much work has been done for the sale price of 495.00 thru xmas..
ghost_rider, the pages you keep pointing me to say the pre-fab version is $595, but as quoted above Steve said he purchased the pre-fab version for $495.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:52 PM
ghost_rider

I just got off the phone with Darrel at TGA and he said that the price is correct. You can call him toll free at 1 800 380-5387
Old 12-13-2002, 08:54 PM
maverick

Originally posted by ghost_rider
I just got off the phone with Darrel at TGA and he said that the price is correct.
Which price is correct? The $495 or $595 one for the pre-fab version?
Old 12-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Blueskies21

Default mav

The price for the prefab Interceptor is 495.00 ,you need to ask top gun for the xmas price special as highlighted on the opening page on the web page...I just bought mine 2 weeks ago,its moreless 1 step under an arf out of the box,for the price its the best deal out there anywhere right now ,its an awesome jet too.They are sweet looking,the fuse is absolutely ready to paint out of the box and the wings /stabs are ready to glass,all formers are preinstalled with spars in place & ready to epoxy on wings/stabs.I will have mine done in merely 2 weeks or so,will post pics upon completion,and a flight report afterwards...

steve
Old 12-14-2002, 03:05 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So ghost_rider,
How do you think an Interceptor would go with a 12 lb. class turbine such as a Wren MW54? Is there enough room for fuel. What fuel tanks did you use on your turbine version? Sorry to deluge you with questions. I took a look at the web-site and really liked the looks of the aircraft....sort'a looks like a single-engine F-4...If you squint REAL hard!

Thank you in advance,

John
Old 12-14-2002, 04:11 PM
maverick

Default Re: mav

Originally posted by Blueskies21
The price for the prefab Interceptor is 495.00 ,you need to ask top gun for the xmas price special as highlighted on the opening page on the web page...
Now I have it! That 'Xmas Special' link on the first page was not working yesterday. Looks like they fixed it now.

Some pics and a flight report would be great! Any chance of pics now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.