Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Thanks, I will give it a shot. Working a lot this week, so project has been on hold. Good info on the cg. Bob
Old 08-26-2006, 10:41 PM
topper5
My Feedback: (12)

SJN: wow your work area almost looks as bad as mine, one on the table and 5 waiting for the table.
THANK YOU for the CG INFO my first flights was at 9in and they were OK but i think the 10in area will be allot better.

Old 08-26-2006, 10:59 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Got mine ready to go tommorrow. completed most latelast night and shot some ppg clear on the fuse early this morning. Decided on the os 50 for power and still came in at 7#built box stock with no nose weight added. cg is at 9 3/4 actually at the front boom mount holes. convient place to put ones fingers when checking ballance. I not so sure you could actually build it at the 5 1/2 # as advertised.Hey does anyone know where you can get the baffle for the muffler to turn it around like the manual shows?ther was some discussion about retaining the wings . I just glued a tounge in the root rib and cut a slot inthe fuse. then drilled through the bottom of the fuse and installed a screw on each side. Very simular to the king cat way. Also thanks to Randy for helping last night.And He didn't drink all my beer either!!!LOL Thank buddy. I'll let you fly it tomorrow if its still in one piece when you get there.Hopefully my daughter jenny will video the flights tomorrow and I'll share withyou guys later.Who knows if all goes well I might have to put my Mercury on and give it a try. Scott
Old 08-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Hey Scotty, That merc is gonna be wicked fast!!!! Definitely need more beer for that mod. Should only add about 8 lbs to the plane. Especially with all the iron in the nose to balance. It sould fly, right??
Old 08-27-2006, 01:09 PM
topper5

Crazy4Flight: have you flown that dubb jet 61 yet, ill bet that thing screems, let us know "A"?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SJN: wow your work area almost looks as bad as mine, one on the table and 5 waiting for the table.
hehe....yea, terrible isn`t it

How are you guys installing the tank ?
I have mounted mine with the fuel stopper forwards, like in a "normal" plane, and then routed the fule lines back over the tank to the engine.
But in the manual, it seems to have mounted it with the rubber stopper towards the rear, facing the engine.

Im a little concerned about the length of my fuel lines.......but I would also be concerned about the fule clunk in the proposed setup in the manual being in the wrong end of the tank.

So....whats best ?

I have installed a 46 engine in mine, and the CG came out perfect with the 4 cell AA bast right in fron of the nose gear former.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
topper5

i put my tank in with the rubber stopper toward the rear, facing the engine, but inside the tank i bent some aluminum tubing into a 90 and spliced it into the middle of the silicone tubing so the clunk is in the rear under the rubber stopper.
3 flights and it seems to be ok.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46281.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	514275  
Old 08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
gmeister
My Feedback: (8)

I flew the snot out of mine this weekend. For $119 this is a great flying airplane. I had it ready to fly in a week. I have a O.S 46 heli which is good power but this airplane could use a 50.
I do not like the placment of the landing gear because rotation is a trick. It just jumps into the air and you and it better be ready to fly. It needs to run down the runway until it is up to speed.
It lands like a real jet. It needs power until it is over the runway. Then pull the power and let it settle.
I didn't put any rudder servos in and just taped the surfaces. Seems to be ok except snaps are not real good.
Did anybody else not use the rudders?

Gary
Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted the fuel tank with the stopper forward. I was going to mount it like the manual says, but if I was low on fuel and went inverted, how is the clunk to follow the fuel. I don't think the length of the fuel lines will be too long. I hope not.

as for how it takes off, you might try a lightly higher nose angle. This is what I had to do to a Yellow F-16 as it would do the same. I think the rec. like 2deg or so. Maybe something to try.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Actually I was wondering how this plane performs knife edge flight so I'm definately curious how effective the rudders are.

Also on the fuel tank, I had a Balsa USA force one same setup as this plane. Had the tank pointing backwards with the fuel clunk looped around inside the tank worked great never any issues. Gonna use the same setup on this plane.

Suprised we have not had more test flights and/or video yet.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:41 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Bobcat forsale

I just put my Bocat -50 and GMS .76 in the classified ad section of RCU. I'm selling because I don't have time to put it together and just purchase a fishing boat. Between flying my turbine Super Reaper, flying full scale and now fishing I don't want to get back into glow fuel planes.

JR
Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

We had a great time flying the bobcat today. After getting mixture right it flew with good speed I estimate maybe 100 mph.7 or 8 flights I think.Bending the main gear foward helped rotation greatly.Knife edge was alright but would not climb in knife edge flight. I got some vid's and pics to share hopefully by tomorrow evening if my daughter will edit them. Bang for the buck wise this one was well worth the effort!!!!! Scott
Old 08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: S HARRIS

We had a great time flying the bobcat today. After getting mixture right it flew with good speed I estimate maybe 100 mph.7 or 8 flights I think.Bending the main gear foward helped rotation greatly.Knife edge was alright but would not climb in knife edge flight. I got some vid's and pics to share hopefully by tomorrow evening if my daughter will edit them. Bang for the buck wise this one was well worth the effort!!!!! Scott

i don't think you will get much knife edge performance on this design airframe .. on my BVM BobCat i need to hold in almost full rudder to hold knife edge and thats at over 200 .... at full power and blazing by, only then can i get it to climb any on rudder alone ...

im wondering if outside snaps are as violently neat on the NitroModels cat as the big boy ... I can't wait till another run of these hits the market as i definitely want to get one play around with [8D]

Voy
Old 08-27-2006, 11:05 PM
bassman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the current level of flight experience, what do you think about the 75 2 stroke that I am planning to put on mine. To much engine???

I have a .75 with an 11-8 three blade pusher prop.

I did add 1/4-20 nylon wing bolts, 15mm in front of the wing alignment rod. It seems to hold the wing on nicely. One thing I did that wish I hadn't is I CA'd the elevator into the horizontal stablizer based on the color pattren. When I installed the horizontal into the booms it turns out that the pattern was off center by a quarter of an inch. It still fits between the booms with clearance but it looks very rookie!

Bassman
Old 08-28-2006, 04:35 AM
SJN

Thanks guys.

So where have you set your CG ?

A friend sent me this link.
If you dont have any sense of humor, dont click
http://www.yayhooray.com/thread/8735...S-A-BIG-SISTER
Old 08-28-2006, 08:04 AM
wilerbee2

Ok Guys,

I have one of these "bobcat 52" as well and I have converted mine to electric and will first flight this Sunday. One thought I had when I opened the kit was about the rear horizontal stabilizer cross section. My past experiences (not too much of it) in building tells me that it should either be symmetrical or the the airfoil shape should be reversed. As the plane speeds up the lift on the tail increases and will cause the nose to point down ?? Last Sunday one was test flown and the plane did not want to ROG and once full up was applied it literally leaped into the air !! This was with the factory stated C of G (wrong CG). It also proved unstable pitch wise in flight as it keeps nodding its head(probably pilot input to keep the nose up). Too bad this is only a second hand account and I wish I was there to talk to the pilot personally. I have since built a flat plate rear stab that is exchangable as an alternative. Any ideas/input on my observations ??
Old 08-28-2006, 09:39 AM
SJN

Another one flys!

I got 3 flights before my luck ran out

Pretty bad conditions today, nice and sunny, but quite strong gusty winds. No rain at least
No problems with my tank setup at all, runs great. Our grass field has not been cut in a long time, so the grass is very high. The pusher prop realy sliced and diced it during taxi runs and take-off, leaving a huge mess on my plane[8D] I only had a 9/7 pusher prop for my 46, so it was reving like mad on 10% nitro, but seemd to have good thrust. I set her up against the gusty winds, and applied full throttle. The bobcat dashed forward and and rolled fine on the long grass and went further and futher away..... I fed in some up elevator slowly, and then she lept off the ground at a 45 degree angle. Not lacking power, i leveled out to a 15-20 degree climb, and began trimming a little up elevator. Ailerons and rudders seemed fine. My 9/7 prop was screeming, and it made that annoying buzz that those pusher electric planes have with their little gritty props at the TE of the planes My prop diameter is too small, its like driving a car in first gear only. Lots of accl., and not much speed. For landing, at high altitude, I just chopped the throttle to idle, and nose dived the plane in to maintain speed, and flared out once over the strip and made a beautiful nose up landing .....piece of cake!
This is a pretty slick airplane, and it glided fairly well in the windy conditions today, so I bet that on a calm day it will be harder to bleed off speed.......just like a jet
Well, after the third touchdown, i taxied back to the pit in the crosswind, when a gust just lifted one wing, and SLAMED it onto its back with the boom impacting the ground first. There was this huge CRUNCH sound of cracking wood, and I just thought "#¤%"#¤¤!!#¤%" The booms had seperated from the front mounts. Luckily its an easy fix, with no cosmetic affects. The litte wooden blocks in the front of the booms had been torn out. I used 4mm steel bolts, as the nylon bolts in the kit are not long enough for the front.

It seems to be a fun little plane.......im temted to install a 60 in it though :-)
I bougt a 10/6 pusher prop.....the only one my LHS had in stock. I think a 10/7 or 11/6 would be better, so ill try order on of those somewhere.
I would guess that mine was cruising about 60 mph.....way too slow, but its hard to judge in the windy conditoins today. Downwind it was atleas traveling twice as fast
It also seems to hold a knife edge, but again...crappy weather made it hard to maintain. The plane seemd a little tail heavy with a full tank at 250mmCG, but it still flew descent, and it flaired raealy nicely. I also gave it 20mm elevator, and it felt crisp, and did not run out of it during nose high landing at slow speed.

Name:	Ec88961.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	514662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80100.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	514663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97579.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	514664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41566.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	514665   Click image for larger version

Name:	My25188.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	514666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13848.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	514667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce70988.jpg
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	514668   Click image for larger version

Name:	On46372.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	514669  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf69053.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	514670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wj52297.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	514671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb20286.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	514672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs76154.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	514673  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:41 AM
SJN

my field, and my messy plane

Name:	Fd90895.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	514674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67318.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	514675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22838.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	514676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15457.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	514677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12142.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	514678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96675.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	514679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69424.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	514680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73890.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	514681  

Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

SJN..... the leekgirl was a great ani....
Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
SJN

hehe......yea, nice work
Someone put in great effort to make it work so well, i bet.
Check out the next pages in that thread.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SJN

hehe......yea, nice work
Someone put in great effort to make it work so well, i bet.
Check out the next pages in that thread.
I did...and am still checking beyond that. Great stuff.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:27 PM
SJN

One more thing....... the paint is fuel proof. At least on mine.
Mine has had fuel all over it by now

But the first time i wiped it over, I saw som yellow on the cloth i used to wipe it over with, but I think it is "paint dust" residue from their workshop.
After wiping it down a second time, there is no paint on the cloth.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats for this maiden SJN. Once again, "time to maiden" is redefined... [8D]

Oh and is that what they call "motion capture" ?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
SJN

hehe, no...the plane is not moving in the pictures....just 3 different angles
Old 08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

ORIGINAL: SJN

A friend sent me this link.
If you dont have any sense of humor, dont click
http://www.yayhooray.com/thread/8735...S-A-BIG-SISTER

Dude I don't know what that chick was saying buy it really didn't matter. Thanks for the link [sm=wink_smile.gif]. o yeah congrats on the maiden flight. and great flight report. Can't wait to get mine up, should be in a day or two now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.