Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

can anyone give me some details on how to install the retracts ?
thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: i3dm

can anyone give me some details on how to install the retracts ?
thanks.
Start cutting!
I haven't started on mine yet but I'll probably be conservative so I don't have to recover like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19349.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	595778  
Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
gbruce

HEy all

I order one of these and will be doing the E conversion, I have a ROssi 81 that is designed for the DF Byron, reverse rotation ect..I only want 150.00 for it...

Bruce
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM
David VanTyle
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Matt Grant, Your Bobcat looks great! Did you recover your plane or did you paint it?
Do you or does anyone know if putting mechanical retracts in this bird would be tough to do. I have a set of retracts that need a home. And this bird sitting along side my F20 at the field would look great.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
mattgrant

Original Question:

Hey Matt Grant, Your Bobcat looks great! Did you recover your plane or did you paint it?
Do you or does anyone know if putting mechanical retracts in this bird would be tough to do. I have a set of retracts that need a home. And this bird sitting along side my F20 at the field would look great.

Answer: I had the body painted at a body shop and I used ultracoat on everything else. I had to redo my landing gear and in doing so, I noticed that there was lots of room in the wing and that the mods. should be easy. Reading some some of the blogs it looks like it is easy to do. That is next on my list, but for right now I am enjoying the landing gear that I put on her.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I'm assuming with this though that you are using a CG sling which is a simple enough device to make. It consists of two large loops of heavy cord or light rope hung from a central point,
William..you used to have a few pictures of this setup on your web site......does it still exist?? I tried to find it to balance my F-16 to make sure I was doing it properly.....but couldn't find it!!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM
mattgrant

Original question:
Mattgrant, nice job! I have one that I'm just about to glass the wings, retracts are installed and just finishing the details on the booms and off to the paint room.

Where did you get the clear canopy?

Angus

Hey Angus:

I actually cut out the plastic of the old canopy and used it as a template on clear plastic. I then used shoe goo to the frame. It actually was quite easy, and looks alot better. I am planning on putting a pilot in the plane and the smoke look of the original canopy I did not like.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM
mattgrant

Can anyone tell me if they are finding the CG of the Bobcat with the tank full or empty?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
gary don

[ WITH THE FUEL TANK EMPTY
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
mattgrant

Thanks Gary Don:

I have flown it twice and it handles very nice. Just was not quite sure on the CG on a pusher. Point the plane in the direction you want to go and she goes there with no problems. Check the landing gear because after my first flight the blocks gave away and I had to re mod and everything is fine now. Check out the pictures about. It is the black Bobcat. I have a magnum .52 with a 10x6 prop. need to change to a 11x7. I think I will get more speed. One of the funnest planes I have.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Angus McDonald

I removed most of the underside and built up some of the spars as well as add another one. Then I glued in a mount for the retracts similar to a flex plate. I moved the servo well over for the ailerions. When I pulled off the balsa sheeting to remove the existing mounts and do the build up, I sure noticed the poor and lack of gluing done inside.....I'm not sure if I would put a turbine on one, it's going to give sooner or later. Anyway I re-glued everything and did full sheeting so I can glass it.

Angus

Name:	Qo40012.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	595917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84988.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	595918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22478.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	595919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26611.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	595920  
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Wow,...thats looking good Angus....will you have doors too?...enough depth for them?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
gehr2box

Inverted.

ORIGINAL: DG@PPW

Can someone tell me if your balancing this plane upright or inverted? Thanks Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM
gehr2box

Balance with the fuel tank empty.

ORIGINAL: mattgrant

Well here is my baby. Using a Hobby People Magnum .52 with a 10x6 APC prop. Not getting the speeds I want. Looks like from the feedback I should try a 11x7. First flight the stock landing gear craked the wing on one side. With her new stems she now lands nice and smooth. It looks like everyone's CG is about 10.25 to 10.5 from the leading edge. It that with the fuel tank full or empty??? Still one of the funnest planes I have had and she turns some heads at the field.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
gehr2box

Awesome looking Bobcat!

Here is some more. None of the colors they were selling really did anything for me, but the bunny does.

TOPGUN---THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 PM
XJet
Banned

Well here is my baby. Using a Hobby People Magnum .52 with a 10x6 APC prop. Not getting the speeds I want. Looks like from the feedback I should try a 11x7.
Toss that muffler for a start.

Fit a Tower or GMS 47 muffler, it'll give you *significantly* better power and only costs $15. Not as good as tuned pipe but waaay better than the stock "quiet" muffler you're running.

Then try a 10x7 prop. I think 11x7 might be a bit big, loading that 52 down a bit much -- and with a 7" pitch you'll need revs to get speed.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Can anyone tell me if they are finding the CG of the Bobcat with the tank full or empty?

Thanks.
Is the fuel tank in front of or behind the CG. You never want the change in fuel level to put the aircraft behind the recomended CG placement. Now I know in this airplane there is a debate on where that CG should be, and I think the latest is around 11 inches, but if it flies sensitive at 11 and you go putting fuel in behind the CG, it will move back and make it more sensitive and possibly, dangerous.

Here's a picture of a SIG Akromaster in the CG sling. This one has the loops through a piece of dowel and the dowel supported from the rafters. The plumb bob hangs from the center of the dowel and the weighted string is pointing right to the joint between canopy and fuse.

Name:	Mk26827.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	596025  
Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 AM
gehr2box

The fuel tank is over the CG at 10". If you balance it at 10" there is a slight change in trim between full tank and nearly empty.

ORIGINAL: Clean

Thanks.
Is the fuel tank in front of or behind the CG. You never want the change in fuel level to put the aircraft behind the recomended CG placement. Now I know in this airplane there is a debate on where that CG should be, and I think the latest is around 11 inches, but if it flies sensitive at 11 and you go putting fuel in behind the CG, it will move back and make it more sensitive and possibly, dangerous.

Here's a picture of a SIG Akromaster in the CG sling. This one has the loops through a piece of dowel and the dowel supported from the rafters. The plumb bob hangs from the center of the dowel and the weighted string is pointing right to the joint between canopy and fuse.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:34 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detailed build thread

If any of you are interested I am doing a detailed build thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...14#post6724014

on RC Groups

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 AM
mattgrant

Original Response:

The fuel tank is over the CG at 10". If you balance it at 10" there is a slight change in trim between full tank and nearly empty.

Are you saying to move the fuel tank forward? Right now as we all know, it is installed in the rear compartment, right be hind the engine. Just curious, can the manuel be that in correct?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:52 AM
i3dm

Guys,

An important question - my brother is in NY and i would like to order a BobCat 50 to him and have him bring it back with him, so i really need to buy one RIGHT NOW !

Does anyone know where i could buy one ASAP over the phone ? maybe even buy from someone on RCU ? ill pay full price for a new kit + shipping to NY.
thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
mattgrant

Original Questions:
An important question - my brother is in NY and i would like to order a BobCat 50 to him and have him bring it back with him, so i really need to buy one RIGHT NOW !

Does anyone know where i could buy one ASAP over the phone ? maybe even buy from someone on RCU ? ill pay full price for a new kit + shipping to NY.
thanks.

Answer:

I am in CA and the company that you want to buy it from is in ca called NITROMODELS. But the are at the AMA show in Ontario, CA this weekend. Call them mon at 1.626.369.2301. Or, if you know anybody in CA, have them go to the show this weekend and buy it for you.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 PM
i3dm

Matt, can you please PM me your phone number so we could talk and see how i get my hands on one asap ?
thanks,
Lior.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Are you saying to move the fuel tank forward? Right now as we all know, it is installed in the rear compartment, right be hind the engine. Just curious, can the manuel be that in correct?
Regardless of what the manual says, I am putting my fuel tank in the center section - close to the cg. I am not worried about the fuel draw as I once had a pusher A-10 that had the tank 30" in front of the engine and never had any problems. Worse case, I would rather install a pump than move the tank behind the cg.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
gehr2box

I wouldn't move the tank. Moving the tank forward will make the plane more nose heavy with a full tank and better balanced with an empty one. It's a very minor trim change in mine and most of the time I don't both giving it any elev trim to compensate (1 click). Most planes take off nose heavy with a full tank since the planes are balanced empty and the tank is in front of the CG.

Original Response:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.