Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Can I ask if you glued the wings on or are they dry fit and bolted ?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 PM
serge760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wings are glued ,my engine is a OS 61 max and prop is a APC 11x7
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Here is mine all finished I have one of the new OS 55 AX two strokes in her and have a Graupner 11 x 8 prop..... Hope to maiden her when the weather improves here in the UK

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80467.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	601638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60004.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	601639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70548.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	601640  
Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 PM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Looks good bigplumbs,....do you or any one else following this thread have any prior experience with the Graupner pusher props?....how do they compare with APC?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Okay, I have to do some back peddling here regarding the fuel tank location. [sm=red_smile.gif] [sm=red_smile.gif]

I had posted this:
Regardless of what the manual says, I am putting my fuel tank in the center section - close to the cg.
The stock fuel tank location (between the two bulkheads) is in front of the cg! I should have measured it before I shot my mouth off.....

Anyways the tank is now secure where it belongs. Only a couple more things to do until it is finished, then the long wait til springtime......

Old 01-20-2007, 01:02 PM
mattgrant

This plane flys perfect with the fuel tank in the location per the directions at 10.5" CG. Enjoy this plane, everyone at the field will.

Name:	Qn38201.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	602403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50121.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	602404  
Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I got mine today. My buddy Scott and I started the build tonight. The only mod I wanted to do was adjust the main gear position. The gear are so far behind the cg, it makes rotation a little abrupt. All I did was to swap the mains side to side and flip them around. Drilled a hole in the rear of the gear block and presto, gear position moved forward about 3 inches. Could have moved it further forward by extending the groove in the block. We have a few ideas for the next one but I'm just going to fly this one as is. Going with the os50. Should be a hoot.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Randy,

Be advised that there is an extra block in the front of the landing gear block (on top inside the wing) that the original hole goes into. There may be a problem with the stability of the gear in the way you swapped it around. Also, I would add some additional glue to the stock blocks before I used them. When I took mine out to put in the retracts, there wasn't much in there...

Bob
Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Stick Jammer

Looks good Bigplumbs. I'm working on one of these myself and have been following this thread as well as yours. There is one thing from your thread I'd like to point out though. While your rudder servo setup does indeed work with no mixing or reversing Y, the stock rudder servo locations will also work with no mixing or reversing Y. Hope the maiden goes well.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
knowcrash

this is my linx or a souped up bobcat. the other shot is the linx and my phoenix tigershark. the tigershark does 100+. haven't flown the bobcat yet.

Name:	Db84724.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	603358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gw73502.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	603359  
Old 01-21-2007, 05:39 PM
CrashPro

Coming out of a steep dive, with about a 10 mph tailwind, hit 110 mph on the radar gun today
Old 01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
flysrc

Mattgrant,
How did you get risd of the paint/dye in the canopy. Mine is coloured and I see yours is clear? I'm heavily modifying mine and red and green are not even on the spectrum of this. Redone in F4 pantome " JOLLY ROGERS" colors.
thank you
Dave
ORIGINAL: mattgrant

This plane flys perfect with the fuel tank in the location per the directions at 10.5" CG. Enjoy this plane, everyone at the field will.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
mattgrant

FLYFRC:

I actually cut out the ugly smoke looking canopy and used it for a template. I then used clear plastic. I made the clear plastic about an 1/8" bigger so that I could glue it to the original canopy frame. Let me know if you would like more pictures.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:57 AM
dragonpilot

So for whatever reason, I decided to take off my engine and mount a dynamax fan on mine. I think I'll need to add a pound of lead in the nose since the engine/fan will sit at the rear and the pipe will extend and hang off the stab. I just finished the mount for it. I really don't know if this setup will be feasible with the addition of the counterweight and the thrust output gained. First test, I may not use any ducting. I'm still trying to work some issues out. We'll see.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

knowcrash, which turbine did you use ?

Can you post some pics of the turbine installation and of the retracts installation ?

thanks.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 AM
dragonpilot

Well, I had some DF assemblies for sale so I decided to put one on.
Still thinking about thrust tube issues..

Anybody try this at home...

Test fit.

Name:	Rp42652.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	604773  
Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 AM
gen3v8

Dragon p
Nope you have got me. I would love to see this setup and flight result
Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DP
Have You thought about biting the bullet and moving the entire engine fan combination forward a foot or so. That would require major surgery but help with your CG issue and keep it from looking like the engine is falling off of the back.

I am curious to see how that will work with no intake ducting?
Anthony
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM
MMallory

Is that a Rossi engine? They were pretty heavy DF engines. If you have a 45 with a Turbax you may save some weight. A thrust tube is necessary as well as some rounding of the intakes if you want optimum performance. If you choose to stick with the setup pictured, you may want to rotate the head so the cooling fins point in the proper direction.

Mark M.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

What do you think the long term (in relation to the life time of the airframe) vibration effect is going to be on the horizontal stab?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
dragonpilot

Hey Guys,

No, I'm not too serious about doing a major conversion of this kit. Cutting up further up to mount the fan would definitely be a project and the installation of a thrust tube would be easier as well if you cut out half the fuse... and if this doesn't work out, I will convert it back to pusher prop.
I have the pipe isolated from the stab, there will be minimal vibration issues...
Actually the way I'm set up right now, a quick hand check and I'm only out to 11.5"ish balance point so a little lead up front and I should be good.
What I'll do is run some static ground tests to check the thrust output sans ducting and then I've got some FG ducting ready to install but yes, it won't look pretty hanging off the back...
Heck it just for fun anyway, flew the bageesus out of it with the pusher prop - my bobcat has more miles on it than a las vegas stripper....
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Bob for the pictures and directions for installing the retracts as I finally got up the nerve to cut the wings and started working on mine . They were easy to follow and the pictures helped tremendously. They made the job a lot easier than I thought. At least so far anyway.

I now have both wing plates cut and the holes cut in both wings for those plates. The next step is cutting the the sub-ribs to reinforce the plates. Then onto the nose gear. Don't know if you did yours yet but if you did I would to know if it is possible to see how you did it.

Thanks again.
Bill

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

OK, so here we go with the installation of the SpringAir 305 retracts in the Bobcat...

First, we make a 1/4" ply mount to bolt the retracts to. It needs to be large enough to provide adequate area to spread the loads out and attach to the underlying structure (which we will reinforce).

Then we decide where to put the units in the wing. I decided to put them further outboard than the stock gear. I want to make the gear legs as close to as long as the stock units as possible. Even this far out, the wheels will be partially inside the fuselage when they are retracted...

Mark the location of the plates on the lower wing skin, and slice into your new airplane...

More to come...

Bob
Old 01-25-2007, 02:39 PM
scoobystig

hi guys

i have one of these bobcats as i got it for christmas, after seeing it at a model show last july, i think it came to the uk market sometime after the american market.

just adding my thoughts, comments on the plane so far, it is 75% built maybe of some use to some of you.

i have experienced many of the same problems as mentioned in this thread ie.

loose material of the blue coverings of the wings.
shortage of bolts form the hardware pack
also lack of length of some of them

i am building mine with the wings glued in to position and using the tail section as removable to help with transportation, leaving colour coded plugs
poking out the holes in the wings to conect the four servos in the tail section

i am also using the JEN57 engine, which i dont think anyone else has mentioned yet, it is supposed to be as powerful as most 61's but only weighs the same as an average 40. this is the engine recommended to me by the uk importers (planenutz) to spin an 11x7 prop

radio setup and kit is

futaba s148's in the ailerons and also for the throttle and nose wheel
and the same mini servos as planenutz use in the tail section

receiver setup is as follow futaba R138DP PCM1024

CH1 aileron 1 - flaperons mix
CH2 elevator 1 - prog mix 1 master
CH3 throttle
CH4 rudders on a Y lead (straight not reversed) - prog mix 2 master
CH5 battery input and monitor
CH6 aileron 2 - flaperons mix
CH7 elevator 2 - prog mix 1 slave
CH8 nosewheel - prog mix 2 slave

all programmed with a FF9 this allows me seperate trim and servo movement for the nosewheel, each aileron and helps with fine adjusting the elevator servos together

please feel free to comment on my setup as i always like advice from others, i bought this plane as a maybe into the world of turbines after i had flown with the glow engine and after following this thread and seeing that it is possible to have retracts and a turbine, then maybe one day !!

thanks

steve
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

In checking engine clearance, when I placed the two shaped yellow engine mount blocks on the airplane, I found out my engine (Rossi 60) won't clear. I'm going to have to put two 1/4" spacers under those block to get minimal clearance. Anybody else have this problem? Also, in adding the spacers, I'm hoping I don't have a fuel draw problem. Will have to see how high I can go with the tank. Any experiances anybody has had with this problem, I'd be interested in hearing how you rectified the situation. Thanks Joe
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM
gehr2box

I had a space problem below my 55ax. I just used a dremel drum sanding bit and ground out enough material to allow the engine to fit, then sealed the trimmed area with CA. Worked fine.

ORIGINAL: JL636

In checking engine clearance, when I placed the two shaped yellow engine mount blocks on the airplane, I found out my engine (Rossi 60) won't clear. I'm going to have to put two 1/4" spacers under those block to get minimal clearance. Anybody else have this problem? Also, in adding the spacers, I'm hoping I don't have a fuel draw problem. Will have to see how high I can go with the tank. Any experiances anybody has had with this problem, I'd be interested in hearing how you rectified the situation. Thanks Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.