Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flying The Roo

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flying The Roo

Old 02-18-2002, 04:05 AM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying The Roo

Flying the Roo for the 1st time. Are there any bad habits for
take offs and landings? Does speed brake cause nose high
tendencies? Will it land @ slow speeds?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:00 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default Flying The Roo

Be ready if the turbine goes out when you are rotating. The nose will want to pitch up very fast. Bkf
Old 02-18-2002, 05:03 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flying The Roo

the best trick for mistake free landings on the roo is to have your brakes on and slightly dragging so upon immediate touch down it plants the nose down in the runway and bleeds off speed quickly..
I have my brakes setup with a free mix so that at idle they drag and keep model still. this setting is also is what works for landing
when I go about 2 clicks beyond idle the brakes release.. the brakes are also proportional to down elevator all the time.. I cant imagine with a landing having the presence of mind to hit down elevator at touchdown, my brakes are already on and slowing model just from the free mix then I can apply more breaking as needed using elevator..........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3257_3197.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2910  
Old 02-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Pete S-RCU

Default Flying the Roo

The speed brake is very effective.
It will land very slow, thats the best way to land it to avoid the dreaded Kangaroo bounce.
The dragging brakes is a good suggestion.
Otherwise the manual is right, full up elevator and pour the coals to it, it won't over rotate, let off the elevator when it breaks ground.
Full power will keep it on the ground longer, half power it's off the ground in 100 ft or so.
You will love this plane, just a ball to fly.

Pete Stapleton
Simjet Rep
Old 02-18-2002, 03:04 PM
azblue

Default Roo

Don't be afraid to slow the Roo down. It can handle a very slow speed. Otherwise a very easy plane to fly. If you slow it down early enough you should not need much if any speed break. (depending on the winds) Be sure to put the proper up elevon in befor your first flight. (reflex). My Roo does not have the hop tendency, for some reason i don't know but it just does't. I have landed it hot and slow it just lands like any other plane. The only differance i can see in my Roo is my nose gear is placed farther forward than stock. Don't know if that does anything. Other than that the Roo fly's great, rock steady , like on rails. I think you will find it easier than you thought.

Have fun

Andy
Old 02-18-2002, 04:36 PM
c/f

Default Flying The Roo

The speed brake does give nose up and almost seems increased lift or ballooning. I free mix in down elev activated with air brake, that is proportional as it relate to center stick of elev...this means hands off, the roo has a perfect glide slope if up input is given, down offset is removed, I set air brake down once set up and level on final approach leg.. it takes a few to get offset just right.
A full size runway is also best way to give yourself plenty of mistake free runway space....one other thing is the air brake setups up a side to side wobble as air collects and releases against brake, if a gyro is used without hooking in to the rudders you will notice it..the roo does slow down but I would not attempt to see how slow on first flights, I would proggressively learn how slow, once you break that threshold of too slow it will drop the tail and there is no recovery.........
Old 02-18-2002, 04:48 PM
bkf

Default Flying The Roo

<GEE> You guys are getting me worried and the glass has not even dryed yet.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:21 PM
azblue

Default No worrys

Have no fear BKF, it fly's like a trainer.

Andy
Old 02-18-2002, 06:21 PM
c/f

Default Flying The Roo

No need to be worried it is the easiest jet turbine trainer to land fly takeoff, however the turbine spool up time however slight it is what is different from anything you have ever flown, I have 35 gals thru mine first season, I am just a sport flier, I fly all disciplines, heli,electrics racing,hoverbatics IMMA, stuff the turbine is just another model for my airshow fleet... seeing how slow you can land it out of the gate is playing russian roulete IMHO, I was warned how the roo got it's name, I made sure the balance was right, I then setup the free mix for wheel brakes upon touchdown and have landed very fast on initial test flights at full scale runways and my roo has never bounced even once.. I take it to many fields grass or hard surface and fly it, only need 1000' clear of obstructions and grease in the landings... I have recieved many first turbine @ our field honors, and usually I get asked right away, "YOU GONNA FLY THAT HERE" , of course I answer it aint no hangar queen..Dont Fret, you asked for some heads up, you got some of what to expect.....
Ya know one big thing with bouncing could be the engine thrust line,,I have mine @ 2 deg neg as recomended for the AMT MERCURY..this can play an important part into differing opinions of flight performance, my elevons are only 1/16" up, on a flight line I see many roos with even more than this............
Old 02-18-2002, 06:51 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: No worrys

Originally posted by azblue
Have no fear BKF, it fly's like a trainer.

Andy
On Steroids!!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:20 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default Flying The Roo

The speed brake does give nose up and almost seems increased lift or ballooning.
Hmmm.... See/feel no diffrence in my roo with brake down? No pitch change what-so-ever? I am flying with about 1/8" reflex and now slightly heavier than before ( 22#) after some minor repairs.
C/F, what is the dimension of your speed brake, curious if it is larger than mine?

This is one gentle airplane and she will get slow, practice the stall high and you'll be fine. Best of luck on your first flights....
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3306_211.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2911  
Old 02-18-2002, 08:52 PM
Pete S-RCU

Default Flying the Roo

I can't tell any difference in mine with the speed brake down either.
Mine is the factory size, 2 x 10 inches I think.
Put it down about 85 degrees, drop it on the downwind leg and give it about 20% power. Chop the power all the way over the runway.

Pete
Old 02-18-2002, 09:23 PM
bkf

Default Flying The Roo

FYI mines 2.5 X 12"
Old 02-18-2002, 09:58 PM
c/f

Default Flying The Roo

Mine was an ARF from planes plus Oct, 00, so no idea, I did however put it on a cyclinder versus servo, so it goes 90 deg to the fuse. to better describe it's effect is that it balloons up as added lift more so than nose high pitching would be better described, just a small amount I mix in down to keep nose down, this all happens way out in final and when I start feeding in up elev the offset is pretty much negated..offset is 25 numbers on a JR 10X not much.
I also do not expieriance any abrupt pitch change with full throtle go arounds.... mine weighs 17 pounds dry holds 63 ounces of fuel, so that is flying weight.....I am really happen with its flight I do full lenght field knife edge flight about 75' up. I am very happy with its flight performance....I strung it up on an eyebolt directly on fuse to get balance for and aft left/right. I placed all components where they needed to go not where someone thought they should go. when you put 63 ounces of fuel it is a huge 60deg nose pitch change for balance, seems funny that people say it flies the same all the time....

deg to fu
Old 02-19-2002, 05:56 PM
cajet
My Feedback: (10)

Default New Roo

WD40-

SETUP:
I just flew my new Roo built turnkey from Tamjets.com It has Robart Gear and and 8411 wing servos plus 70oz servos everywhere else. 4 small air tanks for gear and brakes Kevlar Fuel tank and UAT. It is slightly less than 17 1/2 pounds Dry and that is with a RAM 1000 on it.

FLYING:
I dialed down the ram 1000 to be .9 and it is a rocket ship. Take-off is with Full elevator...I didn't believe it until I tried it. The speed brake gives me a little bump when first deployed but does not really do anything to the trim of the airplane. I use my turn to final to bleed off air speed. I found that the 1000s residual thrust makes it harder to slow down if you have not bled off your airspeed before you are on final approach. Definitely have a proportional brake valve to set for landing you will need it to help force the nose down. Tam sells the electronic proportianal brake valve. It is a great flyer and Tam and crew did an excellent job on building it!

Don't land too fast or it will have the tendancy to bounce and keep bouncing.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:14 PM
bkf

Default Flying The Roo

Hey CF: What did you use to help the thrust line. I don't like the ides of balsa because it can compress. And Todd: I did not know you had a "Lead Sled, 22#" Gee 22 $60 at the auto parts paint supply company today. Putty, WD paper to 1500 grit, A huge box of XL latex gloves, etc. I used some glue last night that I think I will have to trim with a Laser. Talk about toxic. Best and ENJOY FJ. and stay out of trouble this time.