Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

ORIGINAL: david101

Concern now is with front of canopy gap to fuse. May add thin plastic or metal fairing to fuse to shield canopy gap from air entry. Thoughts?????
What i intend on doing with my canopy is to use my covering iron with the sock on to gently heat the edge of the canopy to get the plastic to curve down a little. The problem is that the base fo tha canopy flares out quite a bit on mine. It is after all only polycarbonate.

Thanks

dave
Old 06-16-2010, 05:34 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its difficult to visulise the problem with your canopy, post a pic and someone may come up with a smart idea to get over it, how about a false former in front of the canopy attached to the fus?

Mike
Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
gchdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Chris

Are you going to use pistons to move the O ring or are you relying on the seal between the O ring and the grove to keep the air in when you actuate the brake?

Mike

Eagle,

I made these like the original BVM brakes where the O-ring seals against the sides of the groove and expands out, nothing fancy. The inside surface of the groove was very precisely machined, it looks almost polished in comparison to the rest of the part so that it will seal properly. Its simple and effective at the compromise of some control.

This is similar to what I used in my DF days. For what it is (an introductory trainer) and the fact that it will mostly be flown from grass once the waiver is attained, I think it is adequate.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Chris
Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
tim777jet

Hi Chris, my brakes are similar, machined the oring groove so the o ring could just pull itself clear of the hub, when air pressure released, but found in the winter, i would occasionally develop an air leak. tried all sorts of things to get round the problem, even different grease, vasaline etc, but still occasionally had leak, dirt is also a problem. I then took a stanley knife blade, and offered it up against the oring. I measured just over half the diameter, and super glued a piece of balsa on both sides of the blade. I then cut the o ring, from the inside, all the way round the inner circumfrence, about half the way through.
Now when the air pressure builds, it pushes the oring sides hard against the walls of o ring seating groove, providing a perfect seal and expands perfectly.
My O rings have been in for years, never serviced and work faultlesly. If you experience leaks, might be worth a go.
Ref drilling and tapping the nipples, dont bother, just get a couple of the fantastic air connection couplings made by Skymasters, the ones that screw together. Take them apart and you have two beautifull small nipples. Cut the flange (seat) from the end of the nipple. Drill a hole in your hubs, a few thou under size, and tap the nipples in, job done, real neat. Just cut a small relief on the bottom side of the nipple so when it bottoms in the hole, the air can make its way to the perpendicular drilling air hole to to under side of the o ring.

I use these couplings a lot, i love them. I use them as a one way restrictor for the gear as well. Just put a tiny ball bearing inside. Use a scriber and score a groove on one face, inside the body, where the ball bearing will be thrust against it, so it can not seal. This way the gear down released air, will escape with no restiction, but the good sealing face, the one you didnt score, will offer a big resistance to the air and allow it to push the gear up but slowly. The air will get through. Works a treat. See it operate in flight here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6wwYYAqdY

Mike , many thanx for the info on Reflex, I am familiar with this, but wanted to design an extending leg, just for the hell of it. I think we have more functions on our basic planes than the really expensive jets you see in the magazines. Only other thing i can think of to fit, is an air brake, braking parachute and bomb drop mechanism. Swing wings would be fun. I did cut out an airbrake on the top deck just rear of the canopy on my old Falcon just to see what it looks like, looks great. Not sure what effect it would have on landing disturbing the airflow over the elevator though. Just havnt had time to fit the air ram and hinge it, but looks good.
For info, i use just one, standard sized air tank, to run my retracts (air up/spring down), extending nose gear ram, and the brakes. I can reatract the gear 6 times, i seem to reacall. I normally use the gear just once or twice in flight, and with braking taxiing out , landing and taxi in, i have probably around 80 psi, from 100psi left, so no need for additional tanks.

Cheers Tim
Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

Hey all...... a friend of mine has one and he installed a turbine. He did some mods to it
and went into the wings and did some reinforcement for his own piece of mind. he has other
jets and nice ones I might add, and for the amount of time spent doing the extra work, was
well worth it. I think he put a P-80 in it, BUT NOT SURE. Flies like a dream according to him.
Take the time and do the extra work, it will definatly be a lot less money than a BVM,Tam
Jets or the like. We'er up here at 7000ft so a P-80 might be a bit much at lower alt.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM
gchdavid

ORIGINAL: tim777jet

Hi Chris, my brakes are similar, machined the oring groove so the o ring could just pull itself clear of the hub, when air pressure released, but found in the winter, i would occasionally develop an air leak. tried all sorts of things to get round the problem, even different grease, vasaline etc, but still occasionally had leak, dirt is also a problem. I then took a stanley knife blade, and offered it up against the oring. I measured just over half the diameter, and super glued a piece of balsa on both sides of the blade. I then cut the o ring, from the inside, all the way round the inner circumfrence, about half the way through.
Now when the air pressure builds, it pushes the oring sides hard against the walls of o ring seating groove, providing a perfect seal and expands perfectly.
My O rings have been in for years, never serviced and work faultlesly. If you experience leaks, might be worth a go.
Ref drilling and tapping the nipples, dont bother, just get a couple of the fantastic air connection couplings made by Skymasters, the ones that screw together. Take them apart and you have two beautifull small nipples. Cut the flange (seat) from the end of the nipple. Drill a hole in your hubs, a few thou under size, and tap the nipples in, job done, real neat. Just cut a small relief on the bottom side of the nipple so when it bottoms in the hole, the air can make its way to the perpendicular drilling air hole to to under side of the o ring.

I use these couplings a lot, i love them. I use them as a one way restrictor for the gear as well. Just put a tiny ball bearing inside. Use a scriber and score a groove on one face, inside the body, where the ball bearing will be thrust against it, so it can not seal. This way the gear down released air, will escape with no restiction, but the good sealing face, the one you didnt score, will offer a big resistance to the air and allow it to push the gear up but slowly. The air will get through. Works a treat. See it operate in flight here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6wwYYAqdY

Mike , many thanx for the info on Reflex, I am familiar with this, but wanted to design an extending leg, just for the hell of it. I think we have more functions on our basic planes than the really expensive jets you see in the magazines. Only other thing i can think of to fit, is an air brake, braking parachute and bomb drop mechanism. Swing wings would be fun. I did cut out an airbrake on the top deck just rear of the canopy on my old Falcon just to see what it looks like, looks great. Not sure what effect it would have on landing disturbing the airflow over the elevator though. Just havnt had time to fit the air ram and hinge it, but looks good.
For info, i use just one, standard sized air tank, to run my retracts (air up/spring down), extending nose gear ram, and the brakes. I can reatract the gear 6 times, i seem to reacall. I normally use the gear just once or twice in flight, and with braking taxiing out , landing and taxi in, i have probably around 80 psi, from 100psi left, so no need for additional tanks.

Cheers Tim
Thanks for the tips Tim, I will certainly keep that in mind if any issues arise.

What I had thought about was that if it leaked I could always order "Square section" O-rings from McMaster Carr. these will quadruple the contact surface between the O-ring walls and the groove walls while maintaining the same overall dimensions. They also offer a flat contact surface between the O-ring and the Drum which will brake better although if they lock up with the round ones "better" might be worse.

The McMaster part number is: 4061T232 and the website is: http://www.mcmaster.com

just search for that part number to see what I am talking about.

Best regards,

Chris
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
david101

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Its difficult to visulise the problem with your canopy, post a pic and someone may come up with a smart idea to get over it, how about a false former in front of the canopy attached to the fus?

Mike
My canopy looks the same as the one on this page (post 3480). Notice the gap at front of canopy to the fuse. Is that typical???? Seems like some one on this site had a canopy blow off. If that was the issue I don't want to repeat it. May just add small metal or plastic fairing or lip in front of it.

Dave
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM
JetCatJimmy

If you use pins or dowels in the front (I'm using two hooks of ply in the front and one canopy hatch in the rear) you should be fine. If you're still concerned with the gap you can heat up the edges, just slightly, until it softens. Then you can form the edge around the fuse better. Also, there is a much stronger canopy for sale somewhere in these forums. I believe the gentleman is "PlumberJohn". If not here, try the other "groups" site.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
gbauto1
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all,
               I'm also awaiting the arrival of my Falcon 120. There are several videos on you tube with this aircraft sporting several different turbine sizes,all the way up to a p-120 !!! I've also learned that some of these fellows have removed the fuelage formers and re-positioned them to accomadate the turbine equipment .I personally am several years away from the $$$ and the expierence to be successful with a turbine adventure, but I can still dream,for now it's going to be prop propelled I'm thinkin an OS 1.60.Good luck to all,and as a side note I've yet to here anything negative about this kit. If you go to yuotube just type in SUPER FALCON 120.
                                                                                      Jason V.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You should easily be able to shape the front of the canopy to conform to the fuse. I put a floor on my canopy to direct any air that may enter away from the canopy. Also if you want a cockpit you'd have to do that anyway.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52721.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1454351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49469.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1454352  
Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 PM
david101

Thanks again for info. I also added a floor such yours (with pilot) and three hooks at front plus screw at rear so may have problem with heat method. Shortened gear and noticed that wheel well plastic scrap is almost a perfect fit for a fairing at fuse front so may use that to do the job. Small button head screws should do the job. Used your ideas for tank and glue but used a Turtle wax car wash container. 64 ounce and almost a perfect fit. Small amount of heat at rear to clear rear spar.
ORIGINAL: joeflyer

You should easily be able to shape the front of the canopy to conform to the fuse. I put a floor on my canopy to direct any air that may enter away from the canopy. Also if you want a cockpit you'd have to do that anyway.

Joe
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM
JetCatJimmy

I've got my canopy figured out finally. I purchased one of Noray's from the "other" site. It's incredibly strong. I had to brace the middle as it was tended to squeeze together too much. Now I just need to file down the ply fangs in front and get a super snug fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28866.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1454791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71388.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1454792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56683.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1454793  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
noray1

High quality canopy also available from noray.
[email protected]
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM
JetCatJimmy

Sorry Noray. I got my names mixed up. I corrected the post above to reflect your name. Lots of purchases made in the past couple weeks for the Falcon. Trying to keep it all straight has been difficult to say the least.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 AM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: gbauto1

Hello all,
I'm thinkin an OS 1.60.Good luck to all,and as a side note I've yet to here anything negative about this kit. If you go to yuotube just type in SUPER FALCON 120.
Jason V.
I had an OS 160 on my Falcon until I converted it. The engine only has a few flights on it. If interested in the OS and some pusher props let me know.

jim
Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey guys

I just recieved my new Falcon and found the Aluminium tubes to be of a thinner wall then my previouse Falcon. What are you using on the tubes. Carbon Fiber or a thicker wall aluminium tube and where did you get them from.
Thanks
Joe Lewis
KingTech
K-80 owner.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Xairflyer

Find another tube that fits inside it
Old 06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Colin_Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbon fibre, main is 20mm od and the smaller is 10mm.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
fireblade5437

It 's not just '20mm' it's the .05, .10, .15 after the 20 or 19.80 etc thats important if you get the chance measure with vernier etc as when you receive a '10mm' you will find it could be loose! I brought the main carbon tube and small one from a show took my vernier with me to measure and was lucky to find a main tube that was a thick wall and spot on on diameter.

Alan
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
f6hlct
My Feedback: (4)

I am interested in the approach of using no up thrust on the turbine as was mentioned on the last page.  I have the use of a sod farm as one of the fields I fly from, but the owners would not be too appreciative of burn marks on the sod.  When you setup with zero thrust, do you still burn the grass.  Secondly, how much down elevator do you have programmed at full throttle setting.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Terry Holston

The burn marks in the grass only last for about 5-7 days. The grass comes back greener than before.......................
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
fireblade5437

Nice weather in the UK this weekend so took the Falcon out on Saturday for a spin...had the airfield to myself as most people had gone to the Wings and Wheels show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtPB62hOEw

Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: f6hlct

I am interested in the approach of using no up thrust on the turbine as was mentioned on the last page. I have the use of a sod farm as one of the fields I fly from, but the owners would not be too appreciative of burn marks on the sod. When you setup with zero thrust, do you still burn the grass. Secondly, how much down elevator do you have programmed at full throttle setting.

Thanks

With a zero thrust line you don't get burn marks in the grass unless you hold down wind before take off, look to where the chaps who use glow fuel overflow their tank you will get more burn marks there from the chemical's.

Once you get your C of G correct you don't need down elevator at WOT either.

Mike
Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM
vease

ORIGINAL: fireblade5437

had the airfield to myself as most people had gone to the Wings and Wheels show
As did my dad and I, and he was flying his Falcon 120 there. 3 faultless flights over the weekend.

I had a go too in the last slot of the weekend. I was flying it along side an Elan that was powered by a booster 80 and on the fast passes he couldn't keep up! [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Gregg Veasey

Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Xairflyer

Seen your falcon flying at W&W, was keen to see how much slower it landed than my smaller bobcat.

In the slot I seen it landed slower than the two elans and the intro, I know has a lot to do with the way they were flown but pleased to see the falcon land much slower than my bobcat will.

Great show by the way really enjoyed it and the superb weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.