Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

Don't you mean up thrust as engine at back?
Here we go again, this has to be the biggest deja Vu subject on RCU it pops up multiple times in multiple threads

Down thrust is always down thrust, the tailcone (exhaust) of the turbine may be pointing up but the thrust is pushing down, no matter if the turbine is at the front or back !

The way I get people to understand it is, thrust is a reaction force, so think on a rocket, the force out the back pushes it up (up thrust), which ever way the nose or front of the turbine (starter) is facing is the direction of thrust.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Rodh

Hi Alasdair, it is a Wren Supersport with a 2 litre coke bottle as a tank and Spring air retracts with a nose leg from Ali Machinsky as sold for the boomerang intro. Hope that helps
Rod
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

13lbs? My mate has same engine but 2litre on it weight is 17.5lbs with light retracts, im told.

Mine also came out at 13lbs, with no fuel in the main tank. That includes 250gms of lead glued inside the rearmost part of the booms, at the bottom. Everything is mounted as far back as possible, and the tank is a 2.4 litre juice bottle which I never fill as it would fly all day! The engine is a PST600, which is actually lighter than my P60SE, and I have tried both engines on the airframe (not at the same time)! I did all the mods, including using 6mm thick marine ply plate as the mounts for the Dreamworks undercarriage. The U/C mounts in the kit will probaly last one flight if you fly it off grass, and don't modify it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46062.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1508173  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Here we go again, this has to be the biggest deja Vu subject on RCU it pops up multiple times in multiple threads

Down thrust is always down thrust, the tailcone (exhaust) of the turbine may be pointing up but the thrust is pushing down, no matter if the turbine is at the front or back !

The way I get people to understand it is, thrust is a reaction force, so think on a rocket, the force out the back pushes it up (up thrust), which ever way the nose or front of the turbine (starter) is facing is the direction of thrust.

lol, how about this? What I meant is with turbine on the back its not like an engine on the front angled down, its angled up at the back!!

Yer aussie, 13lbs is great for you!! I think that other guy said his was 13lbs with supersport though.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30129.gif
Views:	37
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	1508202  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So? The top picture is down-thrust, and the bottom is up-thrust.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Xairflyer

lol, how about this? What I meant is with turbine on the back its not like an engine on the front angled down, its angled up at the back!!

In your drawings? the top one has down thrust and the bottom one is up thrust, unless the aeroplane is designed to go backwards
Old 09-29-2010, 04:15 AM
mk1spitfire

ha, I guess it gets confusing when you have a pusher and puller on a plane.!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thrust lines are relative to the Datum line drawn through the fus, the relative thust is a reaction so points in the direction it is pushing or pulling, therefore if the turbine being at the back is pointing up at the front, i.e. starter motor end it is up thrust.

When considering the need for up thrust on the Falcon we must consider the speed of the air under the tail having an effect, as we know the faster the air over or under an airfoil section compared to the relative airflow above or below will produce lift, in this case it has the opposite effect it pulls the tail down and therefore the nose up, this has to be compensated for either with up thrust or trimming of the tail incidence.

Mike
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
747junky

Has anybody heard of a new plane like the Falcon 120 that is going to be for sale soon? I over heard some people at the hobby shop talking about a plane that looks like the Falcon but is turbine ready with retracts and fuel tank for $475.00. I have been looking every were with no luck. If thats true it a hell of a lot cheaper with out the work. Please email me if anybody knows any info
Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Aussie1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 747junky

Has anybody heard of a new plane like the Falcon 120 that is going to be for sale soon? I over heard some people at the hobby shop talking about a plane that looks like the Falcon but is turbine ready with retracts and fuel tank for $475.00. I have been looking every were with no luck. If thats true it a hell of a lot cheaper with out the work. Please email me if anybody knows any info
Maybe this one? Based on the Falcon but with many improvements, including wing removal.

http://www.flyeaglejet.com/en/Trainer.html

And in relation to the definition of downthrust and upthrust, check out this discussion! I'm too chicken to buy into it!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597244
Old 09-30-2010, 01:19 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a rip of from Aviation Design, they did not even change the name: http://adjets.free.fr/ the Phoenix is the smaller version.

Mike
Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 AM
747junky

I will call the hobby shop and ask, but no its not fly eagle I think and besides fly eagle plane is over $1000 dollars. This plane there taking about is from the conversation I heard was $470 dollars complete with gear and composite fuel tank.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM
747junky

I just found out the story on that new jet I posted the info on the thread " New Jet Question andy info would help". Seems to be something to look for
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Xairflyer

the fly eagle on in the blue camo looks good, funny how a colour scheme changes a model.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 AM
747junky

I just spoke to Terry from Warricks Hobby Super store in Ft. Lauderdale FL and he told me that this new plane is made by Modellbau USA. It is called the Tornado, ( twinn boom bobcat type airplane) with factory installed Spring Air retracts and composite fuel tank . He told me that price is still not firm but will be around $475.00. Terry was going to speak to some guy named Henry at Modellbau USA to get more info on when it will be released.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
747junky

quote]ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

Hello my name is Henry Castellanos, I am one of the new owners of Modellbau USA. We are releasing a new airplane called the Tornado. this airplane is a twin boom design that resembles the Bob Cat. We are not ready to post any pictures at the moment due to the expected release date being 2-3 months away. As stated in the previous posts, the airplane will come with Spring Air retracts and Composite fuel tank for around $475.00. We are currently flying one of the factory's prototypes in Florida. The kit is being made in our new factory in Ecuador. As soon as all the flight testing is complete we will begin pre-sales approximately November 15, 2010. If you have any further questions please feel free to email me at [email protected] or if you need spanish sales or assistance you may contact Alberto Enriquez at [email protected]
[/quote]

I guess it is true then.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Henry,

Will it also be available without the retracts?

Joe
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

The plane will be available with out the retracts by special order only, since they are being factory installed. We have partnered up with Spring Air Products to produce a custom set of retracts that are sold with the kit. Spring Air is making up a package of struts, wheels and brakes for this airplane that will be well under any thing that you can get on the market. What are goal with this project and our next jet (F86D) that we are expecting to release early next year is to give the consumer a good quality product with out having to break the bank. All of our kits will have composite fuel tanks, Spring Air retracts, and composite control horns. We will also be having special package deals with Jet Cat turbines
Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Xairflyer

Hats off to them for producing something at a realistic price and not doubling the price because it looks like a jet, look forward to seeing the F86
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
POWER JET
My Feedback: (3)

Hi ,

i've noticed, that all you guys,giving 3 to 6 degrees down thrust to turbine?.Why is that?I mean , you're doing this is for not to burn the elevator or for flight reasons?If i install  the turbine at 0 degrees is a mistake?

Thank's in advance for any replies....

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I have my 54 Wren angled down around 4deg, this is done so when you go full throttle the aircraft remains level. Having 0deg can cause the aircraft to climb when going to full throttle!

Alan
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: POWER JET

Hi ,

i've noticed, that all you guys,giving 3 to 6 degrees down thrust to turbine?.Why is that?I mean , you're doing this is for not to burn the elevator or for flight reasons?If i install the turbine at 0 degrees is a mistake?

Thank's in advance for any replies....

deja who?

Yes it will help prevent the tail from getting hot/burnt, but it is not down thrust but up, the tail/rear of the turbine is angled down, which will also help it get off the ground better. Zero setting is still ok, but most find pointing the tail down a bit helps.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: fireblade5437

Hi

I have my 54 Wren angled down around 4deg, this is done so when you go full throttle the aircraft remains level. Having 0deg can cause the aircraft to climb when going to full throttle!

Alan
If you have the rear of the turbine angled down and it stays level at full throttle then having it at 0deg will make it go down not up
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Woketman

But that is not why it is there. The issue is that the high velocity turbine exhaust causes the air flowing under the horizontal stab to be faster than the air going over it. Bernoulli's effect then causes the stab to lift downwards, thereby creating a nose-up pitching moment that increases with turbine power. The exhaust down angle helps to alleviate this.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: fireblade5437

Hi

Alan
If you have the rear of the turbine angled down and it stays level at full throttle then having it at 0deg will make it go down not up
Incorrect. Fireblade was correct, due to old man Bernoulli.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.