Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

If you are worried about binding linkages and centering then do a load test on your airframe, put some weights on your surfaces and operate the controls for about 8mins than see how much power you put back into your battery, if will give you an indication of any issues you may have with your set up.

The holding power of Digital servo's is worth it, try a small test with an Analog servo, set it up and give it an off center command then push the servo arm you may give yourself a shock of how easy it is to move it, then try it with a Digital servo again you may get a shock of how difficult it is to move it.

Mike
If the linkage is set up as you suggested in post 3964 then it doesn't matter.

We can agree to disagree on this one, Mike. My approach is to use digital servos on flight control surfaces and analogs on everything else. The easy way to check current draw is with an ammeter during set up. However, that can change with a bump or hard landing. I see no advantage to go through the extra expense and risk of digital servos on flaps, speed brakes, steering, or retract & brake switches.

Joe
Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not use them on anything other that flying surface's, the real problem is blow back, this used to be a big problem on some of the larger petrol airfames until the advent of Digital servo's it used to be quite often that aileron and elevator responce would decrease with speed with Analog servo's, this all but dissapered with Digitals.

Mike
Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Mitchell-RCU
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pro-link in mine, but not the ones for the falcon 120. I'm using a turbine for power so i did not need the ground clearance. I have the 5.5 inch on the mains, and a 4 inch on the nose. I have a about 2 degrees positive incidence when sitting on level ground.

Mitchell
Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

As stated before the geometry is important to maximise the torque of your servo and prevent as mike mentioned blow back.
Use all the travel of your servo not only 80% and make sure the distance from your servo shaft to your linkage is shorter than the length at the horn.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Kelly OConnor

I know this is probably a long shot due to mostly turbine builds of this plane, but I'm building a OS 1.60FX Nitro powered Falcon and am wondering if anyone out there has also built a nitro, three bladed falcon and knows the best size to use. I really like the looks of  a 3 blade and they are shorter.  It sure would save me having to order a bunch of props and do bench and flight testing.  I'm using the Dreamworks,  Nitro Planes Falcon 120 Strut Set and want to make sure I have plenty of clearance for the prop.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 AM
rusty55125
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

Hey Fellas,
I did a quick look at all the thread looking for pics of the Dream Works Prolink gear installed but didn't see any, but some pics are gone. any one got proliks can you please post a pic with the whole plane, i would like to see the Stance.
Thanks!
Here is a picture of mine with the Dream Works Prolink gear. They are unmodified and work great. Hope this help!

On a different note, did anyone hear what happened to the Falcon 120 that failed at the Desert Jet Storm Meet over the 2-12 weekend? They didn't get into it too much other than mention that a Jet came apart in the air and showed some blurry video of parts falling. Nothing else was mentioned about what caused it. Anyone know more? The link to the video is below, and if you fast forward to 6min20sec you can see the limited video of the part falling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiWfB...layer_embedded
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76211.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1569088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56397.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1569089  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Launch Pad McQuack

I heard from one of the guys who was there...in fact he happens to be in the video clip. He simply stated to me that they were flying the airplane to hard. Warned me upon his return home since I fly an Falcon and didn't want to see the same thing happen to mine. Would be interesting to hear from the pilot/ owner or someone as to what he was doing to over stress it and what mods had been done to the aircraft.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Mitchell-RCU

What are you using for the balance point? Is it 13 inches measured back from the leading edge of the wing at the point where the wing meets the fuselage. If so mine is coming out nose heavy with two 2150 duralites in the nose.

Mitchell
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Launch Pad McQuack

I heard from one of the guys who was there...in fact he happens to be in the video clip. He simply stated to me that they were flying the airplane to hard. Warned me upon his return home since I fly an Falcon and didn't want to see the same thing happen to mine. Would be interesting to hear from the pilot/ owner or someone as to what he was doing to over stress it and what mods had been done to the aircraft.
Not the first time one has failed in mid air, I know its a long thread, but if you go back you will find reports of bent wing tube's eventually reinforced with a dowel inside, and booms pulling away from the wings, the booms need some kind of reinforcing to take the G loads that a jet can put on this joint.

Mike
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 AM
tim777jet

hi Mike, the plane was designed as a pusher prop design. We fit a jet and fly energetically, but you have to be realistic. I have seen some guys on youtube pulling G, i would never do, the plane stays together. How much strengthening they do I dont know. I saw recently some footage I think from China or the Philipines, where they fly from roads. I think it was '2 falcons racing' , they fly flat out pretty much, dont know what engine they use, but climb after takeoff is impressive, theirs stay together.
I read the JET International magazine. I an Amazed by the reviews of new built kits which cost a fortune. During the build they find leaking rams, useless pipes, they always seem to modify something, then they fly them and a fair few crash, due to structural failure. As I recall, one had a tailplane half (of an all moving tailplane) which wasnt attached inside correctly, Crash, Undercarriage mounting plates seem to too weak. There seems to be so many failings with these exspensive kits which not not exist.
I can build a Falcon in week, I have done it in my hotel room, with minimal tools, these expensive models with high degree of completion also seem to take a long time to build. So all in all, ÂŁ185 well spent for a model, in my book. Just fly sensibly cheers tim
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 AM
BaldEagel

Hi Tim

As you know, but possibly by the above post don't remember, I have built a number of Falcons myself and know of their origins, the weakest point on the one's I built was the glue, the formers fell out and the UC bearers also just pulled out, I still have the one I modified, but its now in the loft and not flown anymore as I have some more interesting jets to fly.

Mike
Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 PM
jetster81

I generally find my experience with far eastern ARF's a bitter sweet affair but I have to agree with Tim, I think the Falcon (goldcat 54 in my case) is great value for money especially as there are excellent threads like this to point out the pitfalls of design/construction. I have recently bought mine for conversion to an EDF testbed and have given the kit a good inspection before the build and have come up with the usual mods such as beefing up/removal of some formers,boom attachments and retract mounts. I have taken the precaution of getting an aftermarket canopy just in case and think that it is a small price to pay for such a large model with a good flight pedigree.
I thought I was the only one who builds planes in hotel rooms, it beats watching footy in the bar any day!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 AM
tim777jet

hey jetster, I live in maidenhead, where do you live, cant pm you, e mail me [email protected]. maybe tie up, cheers tim
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 PM
rorrock

We've managed to source a supplier for the Falcon-120 in china.. They are not light so shipping via EMS is a killer...
However we have also sources a retract set and some struts as well...
We can also do a package with Trim aircraft Retracts bodies, brakes and wheels..

I've attached pics and prices are going up on the site for anyone who wants one..

Rob

Name:	Fd91897.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1580303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24278.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1580304  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 AM
BaldEagel

Rob

As you are sourcing these from China, can you send them direct to the UK? I am sure a few on here would like to know, especially if it can be done without a hefty carridge charge, I asked recently for carridge from the US to the UK and it was more than the kit cost. LOL

Mike
Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 AM
jetster81

Hi Rob, what price are they shipped from China?, they can be had from Colchester A1models in the UK for 205 quid and is exactly the same except for the name?!.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 AM
angel18
Banned

Originally posted by jetster81

Hi Rob, what price Are They shipped from China?, They Can Be Had from Colchester A1models in the UK for 205 quid and is exactly the Same except for the name?!.

I agree with you, and I also want to know what price they are sent from the china
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM
rorrock

They are up on the site now under Turbine Jets->Trainers..
The shipping calculator when you add them to the cart is accurate.

Rob

Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 AM
CrocEnd

Rob got my Falcon120 to lift of today one word FAST with the Rabbit with a full roll at take off going straight up almost turned 180 and bang canopy blew apart, at that time I had not retracted gear up door still open,hit kill switch,MAGIC dead stick landing after that cheer's all round.
Now that retract set you show pic of that's what I am using the best part is the nose gear you turn the trunion around to vertical remount the the nose gear vertical the nose wheel totally hiden when up.

Any boddy got a canopy in ossie please if not will get a couple from Noray if still available.

Cheer's all
Croc....
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Mitchell-RCU

Ok i have no book on this 120. Can anyone tell me me if the balance point is right. I have it marked 13 inches from the leading edge of the wing at the root where the wing meets the fuselage. I'm using a RAM 500 for power and with that cg i am nose heavy by about 4 oz.

Mitchell
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
gawlevi
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

13" is a good starting point and you will have to go from there. I too was approx 3-4 oz. nose heavy and I'm using a PST j600 (14 lb thrust). I added the weight in the booms along the rudders. I have since adjusted my CG to 13 1/8" and I'm getting better results.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
rusty55125

Well I couldn’t take it anymore! I really like the way this jet flew last year and want to keep it flying for a long time. So I decided to just do it and opened up the wings over the weekend. Actually, it wasn’t too bad other than the insufficient glue in some of the joints. I think if you just remove the covering on the bottom wing and re glue some of the joints you should be fine for most flying. The problem is, I know I will be flying it very hard!
I am including some pictures of the process of removing some sheeting and adding some carbon to the spars. These modifications will defiantly improve the strength and allow me to fly it anyway I want. If anyone wants some pictures of certain areas, let me know. I have one wing to do yet, but I can say at this point, the wing I have done is a lot stronger!!

Scott

Name:	Ec88949.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1581991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94206.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1581992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16602.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1581993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82924.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1581994  
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That should help a lot. While you're in there I suggest that you also beef up the retract mounts. Lengthening them so that they span 4 ribs with a good piece of hardwood would do the trick.

Joe
Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 AM
BaldEagel

I think the weakest part of the Falcon is the boom attachement, its the boom itself, it relies on the tensile strength of the bolt (plastic supplied) and the glue joint of the plate and T nut into the boom, everyone needs to have a good look at these areas if converting to turbine use.

Mike

EDIT: yep and the retracts, forgot that Joe, been a long time, although loosing the retract bearer does not generally mean a lost airframe, but loosing a boom, Oh dear, or words to that effect.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 AM
rusty55125

Well, after modifying the two wings, I only gained about 5oz total.
Here is what I did!
1) Removed about 1in of sheeting and replaced with 3” bottom, 2”top
2) I put in 1/2"x.007carbon fiber between the spar and sheeting, full length, top/bottom
3) End grain to join the tube to the new spruce tube spar, top and bottom
4) Same carbon on the spruce tube spar, top/bottom
5) Some additional balsa block around the gear mounts.
6) And shear webing from the root to the tip
7) Re glue all joints in the spar.

She is sitting around 15lbs 10oz's with a Jetcat P-70. Definitely worth the effort!!!

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.