Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
ciromoreira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Hi Jack,

I´ll take a look and answer you later, ok?

Cheers!

Ciro
Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 AM
frizlot

That will be great thanks

Regards
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 PM
frizlot

Hey Ciro

Could you possibly give me those numbers before the week end - I would like to give it a bash this week end

Regards

Jack
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 AM
frizlot

Hi Ciro

Have you managed to have a look for those specs yet ?

Regards
Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
RobinLeblond

Ok, I did re-maiden my Velox, I flew it twice, here is a cut’n paste of the first flight report (from an other thread on rcu), the second flight have been better, what I have to say it that the plane is flying a way better with the wing fence, but still I didn’t push to hard to test the cobra… But on a landing it bounced like in Ciro video, It was my fault since I pushed the brake before the front wheel touched down, then forcing it to touch down faster and harder, so with the front retract spring it bounced back and jump in the air again and it somehow cobra, but I was able to bring it back in a normal (level) position and I was able to land it the hard way with very little damage. So I would say the cobra is still there, but recoverable.

I will find back my wingfence drawing and post it there…

Ciro, I would like to have your aileron-flap throw value (for the butterfly), because I would like to try it too. Right now I’m flying it with a mix-compensation flap-elevator and some elevon wich is great…

Below a picture of my yesterday flight and also there it is my last week post about the re-maiden…

You have no idea how much I wanted to post this… My story in the world of rc jets started one year ago after several year of dreams… I first bought and built a Cermark F-16 with a Rabbit. But because of the rudder servos failure, it crashed… Don’t ask me why (too long story ;-)), but result was: Total lost of the airframe plus turbine damage…

Thanks to Eric Clapp and Jet Central, they did a great job to repair the turbine which now works as a brand new.

It took me 5 months to find and get a new jet and build it. It’s a Velox. Great looking airplane, also very great quality, but on the maiden (somewhere in September) we didn’t like the way it flew. First it was banking while turning and it was doing cobra when raising the nose, very bad on landing… So for a beginner in the jet world, it was a little scary…

Then our flying season ended in October (because of the winter) and I was never able to do a full fly (because of many technical and learning problems). Then during our winter, I started doing some modifications on the Velox, the major one was to add some wingfences (see picture below).

As explain in the Velox build thread, the idea behind the wingfence is not to completely correct the cobra problem, but to reduce it or at least ensure more/better air flow over the ailerons (which are now setup as elevon), it also may reduce the stall from behind (which sometime happen with delta wing). I still think the cobra happen in part because of the elevator being hidden by the airframe body when the nose is too hi, but for this there is nothing we can do except keeping the nose low (low AOA).

I also moved every (engine) pumps and valves in-between the main retract (behind the plane), which is giving more space in the cockpit, it may also reduce the lag in the engine control.

I also fine tune the flap elevator mix and added an elevon mix. This gives more authority on the pitch axis. I also replace the rx batteries since I noted that I had not enough power (pike) to drive everything which has the effect of putting the receiver in Batt-Failsafe mode and then shutting-down the engine.

Then on Sunday we re-maiden the Velox, I have to say that the modifications does h..l of a difference. The jet is now flying very nicely. We had a good wind a little bit of offset but not cross wind. And this day we had to come from the other way (the wind is coming from the other side normally), so we had to pass just over some trees and dive just before to land, so for me it was a little to much since I had some “bad experience” lately (I did two crash la week, plus all the problem we had last year with the jet) so I let David land it…

About the cobra, because of the way we had to land (over the trees and dive) we didn’t do too much test about it… But it looks a lot more solid and stable… We will do more test during the next few weeks… But David who land it, say “It is a way better then last year…”. (The elevon mix was also set very low… )

I’m sorry I don’t have any picture on the site, since I’m not the kind of guy who like to take picture, I will try to get some next time…

I will give you more information about the mix and the cobra after our next flight (maybe next week)….

I would like to say a big thank to David Ravenelle who helped me a lot with all the rc jet world. Without him I would just had crash it several more time ;-)… Also thanks to Eric Clapp who give me an incredible service, who is always ready to help, no matter the day or the hour… A rep like him must be thanks loudly… And finally, but not the last thanks to all of you on RCU, you all helped/help a lot …

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47763.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1442214  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, any of you have one flying with the stock tank and P-70? Just wandering what kind of flight times you can get?

Doug
Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 AM
JET FX

Ive flown the Velox with the P-70 and K-80, I noticed it seemed to carry higher residual thrust and land faster with the P-70. Flight times and performance is very similar otherwise with stock tanks expect approx. 7 mins @ WOT. My second Velox is set up with only aileron and elevator flight control for simplicity and flies great.... I can highly recommend the Velox as a very easy to fly sport jet.

Cheers- Marty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75647.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1463929  
Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 AM
voodoodb

Thanks Marty. That sure is a pretty MIG and T Bird your pic.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
ciromoreira

ORIGINAL: RobinLeblond

Ok, I did re-maiden my Velox, I flew it twice, here is a cut’n paste of the first flight report (from an other thread on rcu), the second flight have been better, what I have to say it that the plane is flying a way better with the wing fence, but still I didn’t push to hard to test the cobra… But on a landing it bounced like in Ciro video, It was my fault since I pushed the brake before the front wheel touched down, then forcing it to touch down faster and harder, so with the front retract spring it bounced back and jump in the air again and it somehow cobra, but I was able to bring it back in a normal (level) position and I was able to land it the hard way with very little damage. So I would say the cobra is still there, but recoverable.

I will find back my wingfence drawing and post it there…

Ciro, I would like to have your aileron-flap throw value (for the butterfly), because I would like to try it too. Right now I’m flying it with a mix-compensation flap-elevator and some elevon wich is great…

Below a picture of my yesterday flight and also there it is my last week post about the re-maiden…

You have no idea how much I wanted to post this… My story in the world of rc jets started one year ago after several year of dreams… I first bought and built a Cermark F-16 with a Rabbit. But because of the rudder servos failure, it crashed… Don’t ask me why (too long story ;-)), but result was: Total lost of the airframe plus turbine damage…

Thanks to Eric Clapp and Jet Central, they did a great job to repair the turbine which now works as a brand new.

It took me 5 months to find and get a new jet and build it. It’s a Velox. Great looking airplane, also very great quality, but on the maiden (somewhere in September) we didn’t like the way it flew. First it was banking while turning and it was doing cobra when raising the nose, very bad on landing… So for a beginner in the jet world, it was a little scary…

Then our flying season ended in October (because of the winter) and I was never able to do a full fly (because of many technical and learning problems). Then during our winter, I started doing some modifications on the Velox, the major one was to add some wingfences (see picture below).

As explain in the Velox build thread, the idea behind the wingfence is not to completely correct the cobra problem, but to reduce it or at least ensure more/better air flow over the ailerons (which are now setup as elevon), it also may reduce the stall from behind (which sometime happen with delta wing). I still think the cobra happen in part because of the elevator being hidden by the airframe body when the nose is too hi, but for this there is nothing we can do except keeping the nose low (low AOA).

I also moved every (engine) pumps and valves in-between the main retract (behind the plane), which is giving more space in the cockpit, it may also reduce the lag in the engine control.

I also fine tune the flap elevator mix and added an elevon mix. This gives more authority on the pitch axis. I also replace the rx batteries since I noted that I had not enough power (pike) to drive everything which has the effect of putting the receiver in Batt-Failsafe mode and then shutting-down the engine.

Then on Sunday we re-maiden the Velox, I have to say that the modifications does h..l of a difference. The jet is now flying very nicely. We had a good wind a little bit of offset but not cross wind. And this day we had to come from the other way (the wind is coming from the other side normally), so we had to pass just over some trees and dive just before to land, so for me it was a little to much since I had some “bad experience” lately (I did two crash la week, plus all the problem we had last year with the jet) so I let David land it…

About the cobra, because of the way we had to land (over the trees and dive) we didn’t do too much test about it… But it looks a lot more solid and stable… We will do more test during the next few weeks… But David who land it, say “It is a way better then last year…”. (The elevon mix was also set very low… )

I’m sorry I don’t have any picture on the site, since I’m not the kind of guy who like to take picture, I will try to get some next time…

I will give you more information about the mix and the cobra after our next flight (maybe next week)….

I would like to say a big thank to David Ravenelle who helped me a lot with all the rc jet world. Without him I would just had crash it several more time ;-)… Also thanks to Eric Clapp who give me an incredible service, who is always ready to help, no matter the day or the hour… A rep like him must be thanks loudly… And finally, but not the last thanks to all of you on RCU, you all helped/help a lot …

Dear Guys!!

I´m so sorry for my late answer, I was travelling outside Brazil and too much business for me, but at this weekend I´ll fly the Velox and I´ll try to modify some values from Flap angle on butterfly mode, and after this weekend, I´ll tell you what the best configuration for me, ok?

** Jack, I didn´t forget you, sorry my friend, too much travel and business, so, I´ll take this on weekend to you.

Please guys, don´t forget, my runway is 300ft long, it is too short for a jet.

Cheers,

Ciro Moreira
Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
voodoodb

Could someone please tell me why on the Velox the CG is calculated with the gear retracted? Since the nose gear retracts forward, which would shift the CG forward shouldn't you calculate the CG with the gear down which would give you a more tail heavy configuration?

Doug
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM
RobinLeblond

That what I did Doug, And it fly very well...
(But I dont no why they said to do it retracted...)
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
ciromoreira

ORIGINAL: voodoodb

Could someone please tell me why on the Velox the CG is calculated with the gear retracted? Since the nose gear retracts forward, which would shift the CG forward shouldn't you calculate the CG with the gear down which would give you a more tail heavy configuration?

Doug
Dear Doug,

You must have to calculate the CG with the gears down, like post with pics #248 > http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6358685
Because on flight (gears up) the airplane needs a little bit nose heavy to speed up easily and when you come to land (gears downs) you need the exactly CG because the stall speed and doesn´t have surprise with cobra´s, ok?

** Sorry my bad english, but I think you can understand me!

Cheers

Ciro Moreira
Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
voodoodb

Well, the velox flew this morning. Great flying jet. I balanced mine with the gear down. Just gotta learn to slow it down on approach. Even with 45 degrees flaps it doesn't slow down like my other jets. The P-70 pushed it along great. Weight is 21.5 lbs with full UAT and empty tank. Don't know why mine seems heavier than the others that have posted.

Anyway it seems to be a good jet.

Voodoo
Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
SinCityJets

Well, the velox flew this morning. Great flying jet. I balanced mine with the gear down. Just gotta learn to slow it down on approach. Even with 45 degrees flaps it doesn't slow down like my other jets. The P-70 pushed it along great. Weight is 21.5 lbs with full UAT and empty tank. Don't know why mine seems heavier than the others that have posted.

Voodoo
Voodoo,

Don't try and get it too slow on landing. It will be your last. The plane lands fast. Good training for some higher wing-loading stuff.

Glad to see this thread still around

R.I.P TREADSTONE!!!

Chad
Old 07-12-2010, 07:27 AM
RobinLeblond

I flew my velox this week-end and I hit an airport light on my landing, So I seriouly bumped my left wing and I binded the wingtube...
(The remaining of the airframe is ok...)

Any of you know where I could get a new wing and a new wing tube ?

Thanks,

Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
JET FX

Robin sent you a PM I can assist if you like with fast supply of all FB products and parts supply...

Cheers- Marty
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
JET FX

Voodoo

I first flew my Velox with a P-70 also and found it a little hard to slow down for landing also, I sold that model and now on my second Velox have a Kingtech K-80 and the problem is solved don't even need the flaps to land now... Performance was very similar between K80 and P-70 otherwise. It turned out to be the P-70's higher residual thrust causing the faster landing issues I was experiencing on Velox #1. Maybe lowering idle thrust RPM a little on the P-70 is possible?? I did not have the chance to experiment with that idea myself...

Cheers- Marty
Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
frizlot

I did 3 flights on my Velox this weekend, done 6 flight in total now - In the previous 3 flights we found it very very hard to slow it down and was a total hand full to land resulting in the dreaded cobra after a bounce or 2 on 2 of the landings, luckily with out any serious damage. Our field is about 5000 ft asl so the air is pretty thin. I added some "crow braking" and it has made it much easier to slowdown and seems to just steady everything on approach. Can't believe the effect that this has made on the Velox. I also softened the front oleo which has stopped the noise bouncing, the standard oleo is very hard.

Jack
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
frizlot

Is there any reason why this thread has died ?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM
voodoodb

Friz how much throw are you using on your flaps? Mine is also hard to slow. I can't use Crow as I have my ailerons on 1 channel. I have increased my flap throw but haven't flown it since.

Voo
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM
RobinLeblond

That's why I hit an airport light, because it came to fast, And I land so far away that I wasn't able to see it anymore... Lol, I know I should did a re-do...

I never been able to set up properly the flap nor the crow, so I will set it up properly this winter for our next season, since I'm actually moving to an new house, I'm kind of busy, but I really would like to know about your settings...
Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
sandyjain

ORIGINAL: JET FX

I first flew my Velox with a P-70 also and found it a little hard to slow down for landing also, I sold that model and now on my second Velox have a Kingtech K-80 and the problem is solved don't even need the flaps to land now... Performance was very similar between K80 and P-70 otherwise. It turned out to be the P-70's higher residual thrust causing the faster landing issues I was experiencing on Velox #1. Maybe lowering idle thrust RPM a little on the P-70 is possible?? I did not have the chance to experiment with that idea myself...

Cheers- Marty
Dear Marty,

I am getting a Velox with a K80E Turbine sometimes next month. I would like to learn the basic set up from you and your experience. This would be my 1st Jet and the 1st in New Delhi !!! I will have:

Stock tank,
2 x LiFe Batts,
8 Ch. Rx, Futaba 10C - is the 8 Ch Rx enough or should I get the 14 Ch tho my radio will still be 10C.
powerbox evolution
Stock retracts

I am going to the Jetpower 2010 in Germany. Can you suggest any spares that I should get and keep handy ? Nothing is available in India and so I need to be well prepared and use the opportunity.

Do you have any videos/ pics of your set up ? Will be glad to get any piece of info....

Thanx in advance....

Cheers..

Sandy Jain

Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
CJ2002

Sandy,

Oleo springs and tyres would be my advice...you might need to email feiBao direct and have them bring the tyres along (that's what I did ast year)...the springs are available from several of the trade stands at Jet Power. Those are the only spares I needed for my Velox.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
frizlot

Hi Voo

I have not measure as we adjusted it all during flight, but it is amazingly quite a lot, would say about 12mm or so measured at trailing edge. I will measure everything over the weekend when I assemble to fly and let you know.

Cheers Friz
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
voodoodb

Guys I have incresed my flaps to 60 degrees at it made all the difference in the world. Slows down nicely and lands great. MIne is balanced just behind the anti rotate pin with gear down. Super fast with the P-70 at full throttle. I am happy now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.