Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

ORIGINAL: jephry

I am about to maiden mine this week! Changing out the Aileron servos from Hitec 5125 to 645MG
Any reports?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM
ciromoreira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

I am about to maiden mine this week! Changing out the Aileron servos from Hitec 5125 to 645MG
Any reports?
This is my setup:

Ailerons: 2x JR DS3421MG
Ruders: 2x JR DS3421MG
Steering: 1x JR DS3421MG
Flaps: 2x JR DS8711 + 1x Match Box
Elevator: JR DS8711
Retract Valve: JR DS285MG
2x Flight Power EON 2S1P - 2100mAh + FT8AVR Regulator 8A FlightTech - Servos
1x Flight Power Evo 2S1P - 3700mAh - Turbine
Jet-tronic Low Loss Brake Valve
Turbine - JetCat P-80SE
Radio: JR 12X
Receiver: JR R1222 12 Channel DSM2 Powersafe Receiver

That is it!! If I forgot something tell me!!

Cheers..

Ciro Moreira
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM
jephry

Any reports?
Hey,
Did not manage to do a maiden. My engine will be sent back for inspection.
When try to throttle up the RPM drops and started to throw fire & also noticed a high pitch whining sound
Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM
RCISFUN

Any reports?
Hey,
Did not manage to do a maiden. My engine will be sent back for inspection.
When try to throttle up the RPM drops and started to throw fire & also noticed a high pitch whining sound

I know what that is..happened on my RAM 500...compressor clearances are shot!!!!

This causes a rich fuel mixture (too much fuel not enough air) = FLAMES out the tail pipe [][]
[]

Most likely it will start and idle fine, then when you advance the power all heck breaks loose....

Did you inspect your compressor wheel, by chance are there any blades missing?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 AM
jephry

I know what that is..happened on my RAM 500...compressor clearances are shot!!!!

This causes a rich fuel mixture (too much fuel not enough air) = FLAMES out the tail pipe [][]
[]

Most likely it will start and idle fine, then when you advance the power all heck breaks loose....

Did you inspect your compressor wheel, by chance are there any blades missing?
Hey Rich,
You are spot on!! I am suspecting the wheel might be out of balance as there is some vibration during start up. Anyway have spoken to factory, Am told to sent it back..
Argh.. so now back to repairing my F15 & also start work on my formost!!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 PM
frizlot

Hi

I tested mine this weekend and flew really great - CG is on the pins - I did get a bit of a cobra type stalll on the 2nd landing resulting in a hard landing - this seemed to of happened very easily which is quiet worrying - can anyone tell if moving the CG further forward will reduce the chances of this happening again, even if it means flying with a bit of elevator trim ?

Jack
Old 02-24-2010, 08:48 AM
RCISFUN

I made a fixture for setting the CG, here it is in case anyone else needs it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo39071.pdf (18.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
frizlot

Hi Rich

I cant seem to see anything on your attachment ?

Regards

Jack
Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
ciromoreira

ORIGINAL: frizlot

Hi Rich

Regards

Jack
Hey Jack!

For me the attachment is OK!
Try to download the latest version from Adobe!

Thanks

Ciro Moreira
Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
RCISFUN

ORIGINAL: ciromoreira

ORIGINAL: frizlot

Hi Rich

Regards

Jack
Hey Jack!

For me the attachment is OK!
Try to download the latest version from Adobe!

Thanks

Ciro Moreira
Correct you need the Free Adobe reader, the drawing is 1:1 on "B" size paper i.e. 11" x 17"

Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 AM
frizlot

Hi

Sorry I was using Google Chrome which has issues with Adobe - I now used WE and got it thanks

Regards

Jack
Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 AM
frizlot

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if the "cobra thing" also happens with a flaps up landing and if so is it more or less violent.

Regards

Jack
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 AM
RobinLeblond

By my understanding, cobra is cause by a wing stall from the tip on a delta wing, wich mean a stall by behind… So the main cause is if you put the plane in a nose up position, it is worst at low-speed as any stall is. Also, the design of the Velox look like to have the elevator hidden by the main wing (or body) or whatever, so sometime the elevator is losing is efficiency, wich doesn’t give you enough “control†to get it back or just old it stable… I did add some wingfence on mine + a mix on the aileron (elevon mix), but I didn’t have the time to test it… I should do it very soon (lets say a the beginning of may)… Then I will give you a full report…

BUT to answer to question, I think if you use flap up, you will increase (by a lot) your landing speed so it may help not doing a Cobra, but it will be more hard to land it… But if you try it, let me know, I may try it too…

Here is a picture of my modifications (you could see the wingfences (black) on the wings)….
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60105.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1422025  
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
frizlot

I will be very interested to hear how the wing fence works - I was thinking that as the plane slows down (with flaps deployed and a up elevator correction programmed) the need for the up elevator correction is reduced sharply due to reduced airflow over the flaps and because the correction programed in it will throw the nose up and increase the chance of a cobra - hope that makes sense.

I would like to try a landing with flaps, but no programmed correction instead manually apply it. This might give a better feel.

What do you think ?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
frizlot

Hi Robin

One other thing. Do you have a drawing of the fences you fitted and maybe some dimensions so I can get some laser cut ?

Regards
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
RobinLeblond

The main idea of the wingfences is to keep the air flow under and over the wing a hi AOA (instead of flowing on the border of attack to the wing tip and then “escaping the wingâ€), this is suppose to “reduce†the stall point, in fact it’s not really doing it because of numerous aerodynamic reasons, but it does provide a more stable control on hi AOA and it’s suppose to increase the AOA before stall…

AND YES I do have a Solid Edge plan (2d) of it, I will post it here after the RE-Maiden at the beginning of may. Because the velox did flew a couple of time, but it never did it with the fences... So I prefer test it before giving the design to any one... ;-)...

Having flap down (and then elevator up) should reduce the speed (air brake) and increase the lift, it’s good as long as you don’t nose up… Having flap up (and then ele down) should reduce the speed too (air brake), but will probably reduce lift, so you may need more speed to land securely, I really don’t know, it have to be try…

For me having to deal with the flap, and the elevator while landing is too much … So I did mix the elevator correction, and I added a trim/adjustment slider (14mz) so that I am able to ajust the mix while in flight so that when I’m landing the mix is nearly perfect, then all I have to do is to deal with the pre-program flap (0%, 35% and 100%) on a 3 positions switch (where the other mix deal with the elevator)…

Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 AM
RCISFUN

Robin
I will also be interested in your test, I have my Velox in deep storage at the moment, it is a back up jet just in case I need it.

My question is how will the wing fence help eliminate the Cobra? or wasn't that your intention.

As mentioned the cobra is caused by elevator blanking from high AOA
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 AM
RobinLeblond

As I said before, I think the codra is not only cause by hidden elevator… But your true, having the elevator hidden, remove not only is control ability from the equation, but also its lift, then that’s make the plane to drop from behind…

So the Wingfences are there to help maintaining or give a better airflow on the aileron which now acte as elevon (then will help the elevator to CONTROL the axis), but not reduce the cobra. I think it may help a little bit to move forward the CG, or at least may help making it less violent (having less weight in the back of the plane, the go down effect may be slower…). The fences may also help reduce the stalling part (from behind) of plane… But the rule number one of this airplane still remain to not make high AOA.

But why are we making HI AOA landing ? It’s to do slow landing, then having flap mixed with elevator (to keep a normal AOA), will reduce the speed by acting as airbrake, then slowing your landing… It is not an F16, so just keep it nose down, it “should†be ok…

I know it’s NOT as good as the bobcat or any other boom tail, but still in fly it’s a very good airplane with the elevon mixe…

I will make a full report after the RE-Maiden in a few weeks...
Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM
frizlot

Thanks Robin

I look forward to the results of your test

Regards

Jack
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM
ciromoreira

Dear guys,

My first flight with jets was with my Velox, I was so nervous and all my servos are JR, only 2 servos I already have in home was Futaba 3305 and I put these on Flaps, and on the first flight (me and airplane) 1 servo (Flap) burned and I had to land without flaps, could you imagine how my legs and fingers was tremendous??? So, I came so fast to land and got a jump on the floor, after this, the airplane made a "Cobra", you can see this on Youtube, a friend did a video with a Cybershot, from my first flight, and at the end you can see the cobra on a medium speed! This is the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QN2FwTXM0[/youtube]

Now I have more videos in HD quality from inside the plane flying on 300ft runway! > http://www.youtube.com/user/ciraum07#p/u

Thank you!

Cheers

Ciro Moreira
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
RCISFUN

Ciro
All I can say is WOW!!!! [X(] [X(]

That was your very first Turbine Flight and it was with a Velox....Well Done!!!

I don't know how you could concentrate on flying with all of the children in the back ground laughing and making noise, your concentration levels must be very high...

Congratulations and may you have many more successful flights.

From what I could see in the video after your bounce on the run way you had a very high AOA...hence the dreaded Cobra, you were very lucky that you were able to get the power back on in time before striking the runway again.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 PM
ciromoreira

Ciro
All I can say is WOW!!!! [X(] [X(]

That was your very first Turbine Flight and it was with a Velox....Well Done!!!

I don't know how you could concentrate on flying with all of the children in the back ground laughing and making noise, your concentration levels must be very high...

Congratulations and may you have many more successful flights.

From what I could see in the video after your bounce on the run way you had a very high AOA...hence the dreaded Cobra, you were very lucky that you were able to get the power back on in time before striking the runway again.
Thank you Rich!
Yes, it was so hard to concentrate with a lot of children and noise, but, I was so nervous and concentrated that I just listened the airplane, and the Cobra happened because I took out the fingers from elevator/aileron stick to brake key, at this time, I pushed nose down with full throttle, and tryed to get out from stall. After that, I kissed my 21lbs JetCat appreciating the quick response

Thanks!

Cheers

Ciro Moreira
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 AM
CJ2002

Well done, Ciro! Nice flight.

Despite all the hype talked about the Velox's flight characteristics, I find it a great model to fly and have just put mine into temporary retirement after 197 flights.

May yours enjoy a long life and give you plenty of fun!

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM
ciromoreira

ORIGINAL: CJ2002

Well done, Ciro! Nice flight.

Despite all the hype talked about the Velox's flight characteristics, I find it a great model to fly and have just put mine into temporary retirement after 197 flights.

May yours enjoy a long life and give you plenty of fun!

Cheers,

Dick
England

Thanks Dick!!
I love this plane!!! It is really fast and sweet to fly, now I´m using another config to land, Flap position 1 = 25º, Flap position 2 = 40º + Ailerons Butterfly > WOW!!!! It comes on the rails, lots of friends asked me to sell this plane for them, but I will fly a lot yet, I really love this model. I have a NIB Super Bandit, but our place it´s a little bit short, runway 300ft (120m), impossible to fly Bandit on this, but the Velox I use more or less 70m to land, it is wonderfull!!!
You can see my videos on Youtube in HD, all them camera onboard, type: Ciro Moreira on Youtube and you can see our runway!

Thanks again Dick!

Cheers

Ciro Moreira
Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
frizlot

Hi Ciro

Can you please tell me how much butterfly or crow and how much elevator correction you have mixed with each flap setting, or may be all you travels and settings if possible - I am waiting for some decent oleos to arrive for mine, then I can test again.

Regards

Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.