Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST 6

ORIGINAL: Woketman

I thought that Matt said that the channel expander was working on the 12FG too, even though Futaba said it does not. I could be crazy, but I thought he or someone said that.

Nope I was trying to find out that answer. I have heard, however that with the latest software, the 12FG is also 14 channels (12+2) just like the 14MZ and the 12Z.

To me the use of the MPDX-1 is worth the extra cost of the 12Z all by itself.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, sorry Matt. I know that the Spektrum 2.4 allows recording and playback of such things as antenna fades, missed frames and such with that little module. Does the Futaba 2.4 system allow any reporting of data for diagnostics to know how close you are to disaster? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Skaluf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I thought that Matt said that the channel expander was working on the 12FG too, even though Futaba said it does not. I could be crazy, but I thought he or someone said that.

Nope I was trying to find out that answer. I have heard, however that with the latest software, the 12FG is also 14 channels (12+2) just like the 14MZ and the 12Z.

No the MPDX-1 will only work wth the 14MZ or the 12Z, each of these radios has special menus to handle the MPDX-1, telling it what switch/stick contorls each of the MPDX's outputs.

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Skaluf

ORIGINAL: rjbob

What is the difference between the R607FS and R617FS receivers?
The R617FS is the newest 7 channel receiver. The biggest advantage to it is that is a bit faster. It works especially well for CCPM helicopters.

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, sorry Matt. I know that the Spektrum 2.4 allows recording and playback of such things as antenna fades, missed frames and such with that little module. Does the Futaba 2.4 system allow any reporting of data for diagnostics to know how close you are to disaster? Thanks.

Not that I am aware of. There is a mysterious extra port on the receiver, so maybe they are going to add features in the future, so far nothing though.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
GrayUK

To be honest, it does not seem to need that option; it just seems to work very well with out having to analyse the data after every flight to find the optimum positions of the extra RX’s.etc.

I know we had the GUID issue on the 6 and 7 systems, but one thing that has never raised any issues is the RF link, it just seems to be rock solid. (plug and play).
I have not seen any posts to the contrary and my own experience confirms it.

Paul
Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I have a 12FG.

Yes, 12FG is indeed a 14 channels radio (12+2)
Yes, there are post by a known flier indicating that the 12FG was able to use the expander. However it turned out that is not the case. Never figured out why the claim was made.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM
cliffy227
My Feedback: (2)

Good news for the R608FS receivers! They don't seem to have the same signal voltage issues that the 6014's have. Or at least they seem to work well with all of my stuff which I can't say for the 6014's. (Just sent 5 brand new powerboxes back to Germany for component changes which will allow them to work with the lower signal voltage from the 6014's) Anyway, all seems good with the 608's but I did ask Futaba to verify this in their forum. See link below for results.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7252541[/link]

Cliff
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
GrayUK

Well, I have just taken delivery of my FASST 12FG
Great looking radio, good balance.
It is going into my test plane at the moment, and then next week end, into the L39 [8D]
I will update as needed.

Paul
Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Radimani

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

To be honest, it does not seem to need that option; it just seems to work very well with out having to analyse the data after every flight to find the optimum positions of the extra RX’s.etc.

I know we had the GUID issue on the 6 and 7 systems, but one thing that has never raised any issues is the RF link, it just seems to be rock solid. (plug and play).
I have not seen any posts to the contrary and my own experience confirms it.

Paul
In my opinion, the Spektrum's option is welcome. But in other words, Futaba does not need that kind of worry. That's why they do not provide the error counter.
We can not wait for using the FASST in Japan officialy.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:24 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM
CaptainFlynn

Hi Guys

Question here... I've read the FAQ on the FASST website, but I am still not sure about that region coding. If I'd buy a complete set of a T12FG FASST with module, receiver and transmitter, will I be able to use it in Ireland without restrictions? As far as I understood the only problem would be that I need to continue buying any additonal receivers with US region coding as well, is that correct?

Thanks

Hajo
Old 03-29-2008, 12:20 PM
krokko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there!

I bought one 12FG 2.4Ghz from US (love the radio), I live in France. As long as you stay 2.4 and by your Rx:s from the US I guess you'r OK. The problem starts when you want to use the radio with EU modules on "regular Frequenses" like 35, 40, 41 or others. Then your TX need to be region coded for Europe, that's when the hazzle starts!! Look in to fhttp://www.helifreak.com/ web sajt. They have everything about it!
Good Luck,
(next time I by a radio I'll be sure that I decided were I use it, not the manufacturer)!
rgds/krokko
Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM
CaptainFlynn

ORIGINAL: krokko

Hi there!

I bought one 12FG 2.4Ghz from US (love the radio), I live in France. As long as you stay 2.4 and by your Rx:s from the US I guess you'r OK. The problem starts when you want to use the radio with EU modules on "regular Frequenses" like 35, 40, 41 or others. Then your TX need to be region coded for Europe, that's when the hazzle starts!! Look in to fhttp://www.helifreak.com/ web sajt. They have everything about it!
Good Luck,
(next time I by a radio I'll be sure that I decided were I use it, not the manufacturer)!
rgds/krokko
Thanks Krokko! Thats no issue since I only need 2 or 3 receivers, so if that works, I'll be good. I lived in France before as well and now I have to get rid of all my 41 Mhz stuff because I cant use it here - thats why I want to switch to 2,4
Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
GrayUK

Well today was test day, weather was unbelievable! [8D][8D] Considering yesterday was like a tropical monsoon!

Flew the 12FG in my prop aerobatic plane, rock solid all the time even at extreme range, very nice TX

Had many flights with no issues at all, so it is into the L39 for next weekend, cant wait now.

Paul
Old 03-30-2008, 04:07 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Flew my 14Mzh with the 2.4 module for the first time today. It's installed in a small WWII Tony that has retracts and split flaps. The plane had it maiden with the 2.4 set up.
I did some longish range checks and everything was solid. So I put 3 flights on the new plane and there wasn't a single issue for any flight.
I'm getting ready to install another 2.4 reciever in my Trex 450 now. Seems like this Futaba system is rock solid IMHO.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I have flown a Hot spot, Boomerang Intro, 50cc Yak , cermark F20 and an electric mig 20, all with 2.4. Other than the occasional voltage issue when setting up, all has been well. The range check has been excellent. Not a single glitch while flying.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 AM
GrayUK

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
What comes over very hard is the RF link on the FASST systems is just amazing, i have not had one negative report. [8D]

Paul
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put two flights on my A7/wren44 gold combo with new 12FGA radio system. Worked OK.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
dww

I tested a new 8 channel FASST 2.4GHz receiver this evening and found the signal voltage on all 8 channels to be between 3.02 to 3.05 volts. So that receiver should be compatible with Hitec or any other servo that specifies a 3 to 5 volt signal requirement. To further demonstrate this we connected two 5955 servos on a "Y" connector and then attached an additional 72 inches of servo extensions leading to the receiver. Servo control was still rock solid.

We also found that new Hitec 5955 servos recently purchased still operate well below the specified 3.0 volt minimum signal voltage. They were flawless down to around a 2.0 volt signal. That apparently leaves a big margin of safety if they would be connected directly (no power expander) into any of the FASST receivers including the R6014FS that put out around a 2.65 volt signal. Infact all of my newer Hitec 5955's worked flawless when connected directly into my R608FS and R6014FS receivers.

Is it possible that some older Hitec digital servos that may not contain the most current software could be the real culprit in the low signal voltage issue? The signal voltage issue is just not a concern with my 5955 servos and the 8 and 14 channel FASST receivers that we have tested.

Doug Williams
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
BillS

Found the following and don't understand.

Apparently the signal voltage on the 6014FS is lower than norm on channels 3-14. 1 and 2 are 3.3V, the rest are 2.7 I believe (not an expert, just read it somewhere, search the jet forum for more info).
It would seem totally bizarre for an engineer to intentionally design different signal voltages for different channels. After all the designer cannot presume to know what servos will be used in what locations.

Clarification is needed.

Bill
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: BillS

Found the following and don't understand.

Apparently the signal voltage on the 6014FS is lower than norm on channels 3-14. 1 and 2 are 3.3V, the rest are 2.7 I believe (not an expert, just read it somewhere, search the jet forum for more info).
It would seem totally bizarre for an engineer to intentionally design different signal voltages for different channels. After all the designer cannot presume to know what servos will be used in what locations.

Clarification is needed.

Bill
We all do not understand the logic behind different voltage for different channels. All we can assume is that it was an oversight from Futaba and hopefully there will be a fix in the near future. As mentioned elsewhere, maybe there will be a 6114 Rx with this problem corrected.

If we could get some feedback from Futaba or Bax other than the over used reply of Futaba not being able to guarantee other brand servos with their Rx.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: dww
I tested a new 8 channel FASST 2.4GHz receiver this evening and found the signal voltage on all 8 channels to be between 3.02 to 3.05 volts. So that receiver should be compatible with Hitec or any other servo that specifies a 3 to 5 volt signal requirement. To further demonstrate this we connected two 5955 servos on a "Y" connector and then attached an additional 72 inches of servo extensions leading to the receiver. Servo control was still rock solid.
This is consistent with the info I got from Bax--I asked what the output voltage of the R149PCM rx was and he said 3.0 Ive been using ganged Hitec 5955's on several of these with no issues.

ORIGINAL: Gary Arthur
If we could get some feedback from Futaba or Bax other than the over used reply of Futaba not being able to guarantee other brand servos with their Rx.
I agree with that 100%

Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you guys picked up on this one already
but tower now has a futaba 10c fasst TX for half the price of the 12fg coming out the end of april ( I hope there right this time)
that looks like the one for me

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUEW6&P=0
Old 04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
JCINTEXAS

ORIGINAL: Ron101

I'm sure you guys picked up on this one already
but tower now has a futaba 10c fasst TX for half the price of the 12fg coming out the end of april ( I hope there right this time)
that looks like the one for me

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUEW6&P=0
__________________________________________________ _________________

Me too. The new 10C looks like a lot of radio for the buck.
Also I'm thinking I am going to go with the new Futaba BLS451 Brushless High-Torque/Speed Servos. I figure if I go all-Futaba all-the-time, I should never have any issues with servos not working with the rcvr.
Regards
JC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.