Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Well I just made the switch to the 2.4 and very happy with it! I can't put all my eggs in one basket so I have no jets, but can not figure why it would not work just fine! And hey if Al Gore says there is global warming then there is Global warming! Remember he invented the internet! I wonder if he can spell internet?????

Have a great day! I know I am going too!
I assume that you have switched to FASST (as this is a FASST thread)?

As can be seen from the posts, FASST works just fine in jets.
I was out today, flew my Hawk, Heli and Prop models, also test flew two other jets for people, all on FASST all just fine.
Great system.

As for Al Gore…well…. shame he does not put his energy into something that is real!

Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 02:37 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

after some investigating last night the problem was discovered to be the TX. all RX that had been previously bound to it but not flown in about 6 months all acted the same as previously described with the sporadic servo movements and all worked great once rebound. TX will be returned to Futaba and not used again regardless of what they find/say.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
GrayUK

Thanks for the Update.
Good that you found the problem.
I am sure Futaba will resolve the issue.

Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the guy ordered a 12fg and said he'd ditch the 7c after they do whatever they want to do about 'fixing' it.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
CJ2002

Not strictly FASST, but RASST...hope that doesnt' get me banished from the universe...but I flew my Velox today using my JR MX-22/RASST module Tx /Futaba 14ch Rx. Got 80 paces (on reduced) range before I got tired of walking away from the model, and no probs in the air...and I flew it a very long way away (ask Geoff...it tested even his eyes!). Early days...only had 3 flights, but looks good so far.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41895.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1187489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34617.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1187490  
Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM
GrayUK

Good stuff!
I would never banish you

Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

does cj wana give us a bit of a mini review of that rasst module?
whata ya think of it?
has it lived up to what you expected?
is there anything ya wish it had that it doesn't?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
rosek007

ok so i have one for you gurus...I have a 12fg 2.4, how do i enable my 3 position switches so it is on/off/on??? or can someone walk me through how to enable my ailerons to be neutral when the switch is in the middle, flaperons when its flipped down and spoilerons when it's flipped up...on the same switch...thanks in advance.
K
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Yes I did go to the fasst from futaba, I feld to mention that! It is great for me so far but all I have ever used was futaba, but why change when in the past so many years still no problems. not long in the planes yet but raced for years with them!
As far as global warming it is snowing outside right now, as Al has said cold weather brought on by global warming! Yes he can have it both ways! wasn't the movie Forest Gump based on the Al Gore story? I mean he knows what love is right? The love of money he is making off this lie!

Have a great day! I know i'm going too!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Oh by the way still waiting for global warming to go fly!

Have a great day! I know i'm going too!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rosek007

ok so i have one for you gurus...I have a 12fg 2.4, how do i enable my 3 position switches so it is on/off/on??? or can someone walk me through how to enable my ailerons to be neutral when the switch is in the middle, flaperons when its flipped down and spoilerons when it's flipped up...on the same switch...thanks in advance.
K
rosek

I will give it a go, but I have mine on the side slider instead of a switch, I can't think they set up will be much different as the 12FG is so easy to use.

In the Airbrake function enable this I think its in the second screen which you get to by pushing the small button above the edit dial, once enabled dial up some movement in the % area under ailerons, forget the elevator mix for the moment, then go to the switch function in the same screen push the edit button and another screen will appear with all the switches, rotary knobs and slider on pick what you wish to use and highlight it with the rotary edit knob, once this is highlighted on the far right of the same screen you will see on/off move to this with the rotary edit and push this will put you into another screen with the paramiter of the switch or slider you have just selected, if it is a three position swith this will propably show On Off Off, just move to each position and highlight it and by pushing the edit button and then turn the edit button and it will change to whatever you need i.e. On Off On, you then have to go back to the previous screens to set up the negative or positive values i.e. up or down ailerons.

If you use a side slider to operate them instead then you have to set the Offset at the centre position you will find this in the % screen I think, I am typing this from memory so don't shoot me if I got it slightly wrong, I will have the 12FG in my hands later and will ensure I have guided you correctly.

Hope this helps
Mike
Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 AM
CJ2006

ORIGINAL: mongo

does cj wana give us a bit of a mini review of that rasst module?
whata ya think of it?
has it lived up to what you expected?
is there anything ya wish it had that it doesn't?

Hi Mongo,

(What do I think of it?) Well, it suited me as it's a straight replacement for the existing MX-22 35Mhz module...a 30 second job to remove/replace, plus it's CE compliant and, hence, conforms to statute over here. I can also use all channels available on my Tx, with which I am familiar in terms of feel, switch positions, etc.

The module came with no instructions; however, Geoff found them (in several languages!) on Robbe's website and they're easy to understand and are very comprehensive.

(Has it lived up to what I expected?) So far, yes. Having made the decision to go the FASST route (RASST in this case R=Robbe...ie FASST!)...and there's no value in me going into that decision process here...I found it easy to set up (bind, range check & setting the failsafe), and the ground range achieved is better than the same Tx using 35 Mhz (although that was perectly adequate in terms of range, too). Bear in mind, though, that I'm only 3 flights in and so time will tell if it lives up to my expectations in full!

(Is there anything I wish it had that it doesn't?) Not that I can think of...I don't need it to have an MP3 player or cigar lighter, or whatever!! I was, though, looking forwards to the enhanced crispness of control we've read all about from some new 2.4 users, but, alas, no improvement in my flying was evident! Seriously though, the only thing I did find really strange was having no 3 foot aerial coming out of the Tx...the Tx balance has shifted (will make myself a small attachment to put on the Tx to odds this) and the occasional cheek tightening thought that "crap, I forgot to pull the aerial out!!".

Rgds,

Dick
England

Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 AM
rosek007

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

K
rosek

I will give it a go, but I have mine on the side slider instead of a switch, I can't think they set up will be much different as the 12FG is so easy to use.

In the Airbrake function enable this I think its in the second screen which you get to by pushing the small button above the edit dial, once enabled dial up some movement in the % area under ailerons, forget the elevator mix for the moment, then go to the switch function in the same screen push the edit button and another screen will appear with all the switches, rotary knobs and slider on pick what you wish to use and highlight it with the rotary edit knob, once this is highlighted on the far right of the same screen you will see on/off move to this with the rotary edit and push this will put you into another screen with the paramiter of the switch or slider you have just selected, if it is a three position swith this will propably show On Off Off, just move to each position and highlight it and by pushing the edit button and then turn the edit button and it will change to whatever you need i.e. On Off On, you then have to go back to the previous screens to set up the negative or positive values i.e. up or down ailerons.

If you use a side slider to operate them instead then you have to set the Offset at the centre position you will find this in the % screen I think, I am typing this from memory so don't shoot me if I got it slightly wrong, I will have the 12FG in my hands later and will ensure I have guided you correctly.

Hope this helps
Mike
Thanks a bunch, I will try it as well as my new Boomerang xl...Had one before but never tried anything other than flaps...
thanks again.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
BaldEagel

rosek

The 12FG is very versitile, I have arranged the airbrake on my Boomer to have the flaps operate on the side slider so when the slider is fully up the flaps are closed they then operate up to 45 deg by themselves on half slider, after that the ailerons go up and the flaps extend down to nearly 90 degs all through the airbrake function, play with it its a very good function you can even put the switch off function onto the throttle so that they only operate on below a point you can set on the throttle, so if you open up to go around they go away at a speed you can determine on the In and Out function still in the airbrake screen.

Mike
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
rosek007

mike, believe it or not i"ve had this radio for a while now and never really did anything extra with it[X(], I'm just getting into the mixing and other menus and i must say especially being a defector from another brand (jr shall not be named), it was as if i had the tx for years, it just felt natural in my hands and most of all i feel like theres one less thing to worry about, like if the manufacturer knows there is an issue and holding off telling us untill there is a substantial amt of loss and damage[:@]. God i can't believe i'm still bitter about that...oh well...
thanks mike.
K
Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM
GrayUK

mike, believe it or not i"ve had this radio for a while now and never really did anything extra with it[X(], I'm just getting into the mixing and other menus and i must say especially being a defector from another brand (jr shall not be named), it was as if i had the tx for years, it just felt natural in my hands and most of all i feel like theres one less thing to worry about, like if the manufacturer knows there is an issue and holding off telling us untill there is a substantial amt of loss and damage[:@]. God i can't believe i'm still bitter about that...oh well...
thanks mike.
K
Welcome to the 'light side'

Paul
Old 05-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Rob Bloor

Hi Paul
           Hope you are well Im using both Specktrum and Futaba had no probs with jets, using FF9 with secktrum module but have had probs with DX 7 Tx Stopping for 3 seconds or so, now got a 10c as well. Anybody used an SM battery backer with the futaba system? Any problems?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Have finally got around to playing with my 10C & am learning about what it will & will not do.  I have the R6014 FS reciever.

The question of which servos will work & those that will not was on my mind.  I found:

Hitec 5645 MG can be connected with a Y lead only on channels 1 & 2 (aileron & elevator).  On any other channel they simply will not work.  They seem fine on a Y lead with other servos though.  To use 2 of the 5645 MG servos on flap it was just a matter of plugging the second servo into channel aux 8 & mixing the two channels together.

Every other servo I have, including some ancient Royal giant scale servos & some cheap & nasty chinese micros work fine. - John.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 AM
BaldEagel

If I remember correctley on the 6014FS channels 1 : 6 have a reduced signal voltage, this may be the reason they will not work on a Y lead, they should function correctly,personnaly I always avoid using Y leads on the flying surfaces. I have 5645's plugged in individually on my Boomerang Elan on flaps and 5625's on ailerons, elevator and rudders (8 serov's) and they work prefectly.

I also understand that on the latest 6014HS this has been adressed by making channels 1 : 6 available for digital servos and therefore increasing the signal output.

Mike

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
GrayUK

Bald Eagle.

My recollection is that on the early 6014 it is channels 1 to 3 that have the lower signal voltage; all others are ‘standard’.

Yes the HS does have ‘normal’ output levels on all channels, as does the 6014 gold/silver dot versions.

<o></o>

Paul

Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
jetjohn

Paul & all watchers,

Hi Guys,
In between flying Jets,myself & a builder/flyer friend have been playing around with some of the cheap Chinese Electric motors,Speed controllers,BEC units & 5amp battery control units.

Some interesting observations follow.

With the smaller motors with 30amp BEC speed controllers we had no range issues with 35 meg gear PPM or PCM, ground & flight range on PCM slightly better than PPM,which we suspected would be the case & no glitches when flying.
With a new range of more powerfull brushless motors & their associated 80 and 100 amp speed controllers with & without BEC units the max ground test range on 35meg PPM with aerial down was 20 to 30 feet before all controls went scatty. With PCM we added about 10 foot more.
We then tried same with a battery eliminator/ 5amp power control unit running off the motors supply battery.
Range down to less than 10 foot.

Then we triedmy 10C & a R617FS reciever.
Not a glitch twitch or even a flicker.
All servos remained rock solid on all motor settings.
Low power test with transmitter aerial pointing straight at the model even with reciever aerials just sticking up in no particular orientation was amazing. Again not a flicker. Gave up counting how far away I walked for the test.
My friend was convinced by this & has just bought himself a 7C 2.4 Futaba transmitter combo & again the results were amazing.

Just thought I would post this since it shows just how much electrical interference this gear can filter out.

It just has to help in eliminating ECU & Turbine pump noise.

Hope this is of interest,
All the best,
John C

Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Paul,
I bought my FG last October and when I plugged a JR 791 retract into channel 6 it would not operate without the ED buffer unit.
I currently have it in channel 10 with the buffer unit as I did not know differently. Tonight I will see if the 791's work without the buffer
as I hate anything that is not absolutely required to be in the model. I'll post my findings later.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM
DougV

The low voltage (2.7)was from channels 4 thru 14 with the R6014FS.

Doug.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
GrayUK

Doug<o></o>

Yep, sorry guys, you are right, it was the other way round!<o></o>

1 and 2 ‘normal’, the rest lower.<o></o>

My apologies must be getting mind scrabbled!<o></o>

<o></o>

Jetjohn<o></o>

Good feedback, it is a great system; some of the guys in our club are into the high power electric, you confirm their findings.<o></o>

<o></o>

Ryamp22<o></o>

Glad it is working well for you, not sure who you are, was it your F117 stealth turbine I test flew a few years ago?

Paul

Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM
BaldEagel

Well I knew it wasn't all the channels.

I am operating Hitec 5955's on nine of the channels of my 6014FS without difficulty in a 10S LiPo Pletenberg powered 2.1M C-ARF Extra without any filters, buffers or anything else come to that and it all works as it should.

Now that I have got hold of a 6014HS I will have to re-configure the function memu in my FG to get the main control surface's onto the first six channels, this is going in the Elan so it seems that the flaps, throttle, steering, retract and brakes will be on the 14ms channels, anyone know of any reason why this would not be the way to go?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.