Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:32 PM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

ORIGINAL: KC36330

he flew it once after the episode without any problems and it continued to work as normal, i recommend getting some sort of response out of Futaba so he put it away and is going to try to get up with them before flying it again. it's defiantly something you don't want happening in flight.
Get your friend to check and make sure he is not using a non updated tx module.
See service info [link=http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/service-advisory-tm7-7c-6ex.html]here[/link]

Extract from Futaba

There is a very remote chance, through improper operation of the transmitter within a specific scenario, that the unique identification code may be forced to this default code. Despite countless hours of testing and evaluation under normal scenarios (e.g., turning the transmitter on/off in a typical manner, cycling batteries, etc.) we've not been able to eliminate this unique identification code. However, your confidence and satisfaction with the system is very important to us. As such, Futaba's engineers have developed updated software to prevent this from occurring in the future. In fact, it has been incorporated into the subsequent production of these units. If the serial number of your transmitter, or TM-7 module begins with an 'A8', '08' or the serial number begins with an 'A7' or '07' serial number and includes the "I" sticker, the updates have already been included.

Again, the likelihood of encountering this difficulty is extremely minimal and is avoidable by simply allowing the transmitter to power up completely in a normal manner prior to shutting the unit off. If, you would like for us to do so, and your transmitter or TM-7 module do not include the 'A8', '08' or an 'A7' '07' with an "I" sticker, we would be glad to update or replace them accordingly.

Paul
Old 04-25-2009, 04:00 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

See service info [link=http://2.4gigahertz.com/techsupport/service-advisory-tm7-7c-6ex.html]here[/link]

Extract from Futaba

There is a very remote chance, through improper operation of the transmitter within a specific scenario, that the unique identification code may be forced to this default code. Despite countless hours of testing and evaluation under normal scenarios (e.g., turning the transmitter on/off in a typical manner, cycling batteries, etc.) we've not been able to eliminate this unique identification code. However, your confidence and satisfaction with the system is very important to us. As such, Futaba's engineers have developed updated software to prevent this from occurring in the future. In fact, it has been incorporated into the subsequent production of these units. If the serial number of your transmitter, or TM-7 module begins with an 'A8', '08' or the serial number begins with an 'A7' or '07' serial number and includes the "I" sticker, the updates have already been included.

Again, the likelihood of encountering this difficulty is extremely minimal and is avoidable by simply allowing the transmitter to power up completely in a normal manner prior to shutting the unit off. If, you would like for us to do so, and your transmitter or TM-7 module do not include the 'A8', '08' or an 'A7' '07' with an "I" sticker, we would be glad to update or replace them accordingly.

Paul

I'm about 99.99999925% sure his 7c is non module based.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

But that is what you would expect, unless i am not understanding what you are saying?
You shouldn't have to rebind after a failsafe event. Was the radio working properly before you turned off the TX? What exactly did you do and what indications did you get?

I did not expect that either. But it happened. The receiver and the radio work perfect after the rebind.

You can try by turning off the radio, and observe the fail-safe setting on the receiver to be kicked in. That is how I tested fail-safe with futaba PCM equipment. But after that and when I turned on the radio, the 607 is unbound.

Correction. It is R617 receiver, not R607.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM
DougV

Wow... first time I hear this from the FASST system. I can tell you this, I have never seen that and there is many FASST users at my field and I have been using it on 16 different airplanes/Helis for more than a year. However, I had to rebind my DX7 about 4 times already(different airplanes) in just under a year of use.

Just my two cents.
Doug.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 PM
GrayUK

he flew it once after the episode without any problems and it continued to work as normal, i recommend getting some sort of response out of Futaba so he put it away and is going to try to get up with them before flying it again. it's defiantly something you don't want happening in flight.

Extract from Futaba

Paul
You guys should make sure thatthe above is not the case.

Paul
Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM
KC36330

through improper operation of the transmitter within a specific scenario, that the unique identification code may be forced to this default code.
i assure you this wasn't the case with the one today, if that had happened the RX simply would not have responded to the TX at all and it was, just sporadically.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Tinman!

The only time you should ever lose a bind is if you press the bind button accidentally. I was able to cause a "semi bind" when switching from a 10C to a 12FG. I had rebound the RX many times while switching between the two radios. But one time I either left the TX I was linking to too far away, or pressed the bind button on the RX one time too many. Very odd behavior of the servos. A simple re-bind cured it, and that RX now has over 300 flights on it since the switch from the 10C to 12FG.

As for turning the TX off and on, that should have no effect on a bind. I do that every single day when testing F/S, on 7 to 14 channel FASST RX'sfor a year now. Never, ever, lost a bind due to this (and would be shocked if I didit would mean that RX is going back for testing).

Good gawd, this is nothing compared to the Spektrum lost binds I've seen (or no link, because you didn't turn the system on in the right order, had the TX too close, etc.). 'Course if this were a Spektrum thread and you reported a "lost bind" you'd be told in no uncertain terms that it is impossible, and that it must be user error.

Mike
Old 04-26-2009, 02:36 AM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

But that is what you would expect, unless i am not understanding what you are saying?
You shouldn't have to rebind after a failsafe event. Was the radio working properly before you turned off the TX? What exactly did you do and what indications did you get?

I did not expect that either. But it happened. The receiver and the radio work perfect after the rebind.

You can try by turning off the radio, and observe the fail-safe setting on the receiver to be kicked in. That is how I tested fail-safe with futaba PCM equipment. But after that and when I turned on the radio, the 607 is unbound.

What TX / Module?

Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 02:41 AM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: Tinman!

As for turning the TX off and on, that should have no effect on a bind. I do that every single day when testing F/S, on 7 to 14 channel FASST RX'sfor a year now. Never, ever, lost a bind due to this (and would be shocked if I didit would mean that RX is going back for testing).

Mike
I agree, unless your TX or Module is one of the ones with the original Zero GUID issue.

Paul

Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 AM
mun_iz

had a strange experience with a FASST receiver today, the guy hasn't flown the plane in a few months, brought it out today and with the TX and RX powered up the servos would only jump around sporadically with stick inputs, the LED would go red then back to green a few seconds at the time. i did a rebind and it worked great from then on. anyone else ever had this happen???
Hi,

I encountered a similar incident yesterday. I have a TM-8 module and R608FS RX fitted to a 9Z WC2. The system powered up fine and I completed a 8 min flight with it. While the turbine was in the cooling cycle, I noticed none of the servos would react to stick inputs. I regained control a few seconds later while fiddling with the orientation of the Tx antenna.

I tested the system again later at home and was able to recreate the problem several times. I would switch on the Tx, followed by the Rx and after the system had intialised, I am able to un-bind it by just moving my Tx antenna. When the servos stop responding, the LED on the Rx will turn red and the module LED with flash red/orange (as it always does during start up). There is also twice where the module LED goes off completely (not lighted at all) but I was able to get it to light up by tapping on the module.

I removed the module from the Tx and cleaned the long straight pins in the module bay with alcohol applied to a piece of tissue paper. The good news is, after cleaning, the problem seemed to dissapear. I have not tried to do a re-bind on the RX yet.

Although it is working fine now, I still do not feel comfortable flying with the set. I am contemplating sending the Tx module back to Futaba to get it checked.... I think there are no problems with my Rx.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 AM
nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

What TX / Module?

Paul
10C radio, R617 receiver.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
captngeech

Hey Guys, forgive me if I'm wrong but if you look at Futaba's web page and look at Tx profiles the 9z doesn't show to be 2.4 compatible. Please explain for me.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
siclick33

quote:

Mike

I agree, unless your TX or Module is one of the ones with the original Zero GUID issue.
Even if the TX is one with the GUID issue it shouldn't exhibit this behaviour. My understanding of the GUID problem is simply that 2 seperate TXs could be bound simulataneously (akin to being of the same channel on 35/72 MHz systems). The TX should still either be bound or not, not binding and unbinding.

Something is obviously not working as it should here.

Silly question but is the TX set to 7 channel mode to work with the 617 receiver?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: e56859

Hey Guys, forgive me if I'm wrong but if you look at Futaba's web page and look at Tx profiles the 9z doesn't show to be 2.4 compatible. Please explain for me.
http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/tx-modules.html

Go to the bottom of the page.

Doug.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM
siclick33

Where are you looking? The TM-7 and TM-8 modules are both compatible with the 9Z. Have a look here http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/tx-modules.html

mun_iz, I would definately send the module back to be checked; something is not right there.

EDIT: There is a difference between being 'unbound' and not getting a signal. The problem mun_iz has is not a binding problem but a more straightforward RF transmission problem.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
captngeech

Thanks, sorry I was looking at home page with all radio's and the compar of each. Thats cool it opens door for more options!!!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: mun_iz

I removed the module from the Tx and cleaned the long straight pins in the module bay with alcohol applied to a piece of tissue paper. The good news is, after cleaning, the problem seemed to dissapear. I have not tried to do a re-bind on the RX yet.

Although it is working fine now, I still do not feel comfortable flying with the set. I am contemplating sending the Tx module back to Futaba to get it checked.... I think there are no problems with my Rx.

mun_iz,

You have a serious problem with the operation of your module/TX. I would definitely send them back to have them looked at!

Bob
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: siclick33

quote:

Even if the TX is one with the GUID issue it shouldn't exhibit this behaviour. My understanding of the GUID problem is simply that 2 seperate TXs could be bound simulataneously (akin to being of the same channel on 35/72 MHz systems). The TX should still either be bound or not, not binding and unbinding.
Not quite.
There were recorded cases where transmitters that had a valid code, could be wiped if the tx was turned off before the tx had finished booting up.

It would manifest its self in this way.
1) Everything OK all working.
2) TX turned off, next time it would not bind (because the tx GUID had changed to zero.)
3) The rx was re-bound and all seemed to be well.

However, as we now know, it was OK as long as no one else had a tx that had done the same, if this was the case then two tx’s were on the same GUID ie. Zero!

So both sets of rx’s were now bound to Zero, as a result either tx could work either rx.

I would be hesitant if I had to re-bind, it could be related to the above problem (which is now very old and all potential failed units should have been replaced) or it could be a faulty rx.

Paul

Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: mun_iz

mun_iz,

You have a serious problem with the operation of your module/TX. I would definitely send them back to have them looked at!

Bob
Agreed, this is not a binding problem but a connection/faulty module issue.

Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM
GrayUK

[/quote]

Silly question but is the TX set to 7 channel mode to work with the 617 receiver?
[/quote]

I agree, this is the most likely error here.
I HAVE seen that before.
Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
nonstoprc

[/quote]

I agree, this is the most likely error here.
I HAVE seen that before.
Paul

[/quote]

At the field, we tested the R617 receiver (after rebind incident) with a different Futaba 2.4ghz radio. It appears that the receiver is not responsive to that radio.

I also tested my radio with a different receiver (R6014). R6014 is bound from the factory and it has been working fine with the 10C. So I can rule out that 10C has the zero GUID.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
siclick33

When used with the 617 receiver the transmitter module has to be switched to 7 channel mode. For the 8 channel receiver and 6014 it has to be in 10 channel mode. Can you confirm you are moving the switch on the module when trying the different RXs?

EDIT: Sorry the 7/10 channel selection is done on the radio on the 10c. The module switch is on the TM8 module.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: siclick33

When used with the 617 receiver the transmitter module has to be switched to 7 channel mode. For the 8 channel receiver and 6014 it has to be in 10 channel mode. Can you confirm you are moving the switch on the module when trying the different RXs?
Can you confirm that there is a switch on the 10C?
I think (not 100%) that the selection is software driven.

Paul
Old 04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
GrayUK

Just seen your EDIT.

Paul

Old 04-26-2009, 01:58 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Well I just made the switch to the 2.4 and very happy with it! I can't put all my eggs in one basket so I have no jets, but can not figure why it would not work just fine! And hey if Al Gore says there is global warming then there is Global warming! Remember he invented the internet! I wonder if he can spell internet?????

Have a great day! I know I am going too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.