Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Two- 6 v Batts... One Regulator or Two?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Two- 6 v Batts... One Regulator or Two?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two- 6 v Batts... One Regulator or Two?

Hi guys,
Got a question for the jet masses. On my JL T-45 I want to use two 6 volt Ni-Cad batteries with separate switches and I think It's a good idea to use a regulator(s). I'm using a Futaba 9C-Super, I'm using both leads for the turbine (throt & aux). The servos are as follows.

All JR's
(1) 8711- elevator (overkill)
(3) 3421- Ailerons and rudder
(2) 8411- Flaps
(3) 'normal' servos-- steering, brakes and gear

2 Matchboxes to link the FLAPS and the other to link the AILERONS.

Please comment if the following set-up doesn't sound good... One battery to the regulator then the switch and on to the RX.
The 2nd battery to a switch, then on to feed the two Matchboxes and tap into the RX for redundant power, should I use a regulator here too?

The switches are 2 SmartFly HD 18g switches. Would it be better to use a Duralite dual switch with built-in regs??
If there is a simpler set-up or if mine sounds screwy let me know either way.

Thanks for your thoughts on this guys,
Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 PM
CHAWKJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two- 6 v Batts... One Regulator or Two?

[link=http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Regulator/regulator.htm]SMARTFLY[/link]

THIS IS THE LINK TO SMARTFLY. YOU CAN BUY THESE PRODUCTS THROUGH JETPOWER. I RECOMMEND THE The Smart-Fly TurboReg AND PowerExpander Sport Plus.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FLYING
Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 PM
TJP
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your switch has to be between the battery and regulator I think.
Else the regulator will always be on and drain the battery. I had two
regulators in parallel but have removed them and just use two 6v packs
in parallel. Works great as long as all the servos are 6v rated.

TOM
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Skip the regulators... no worth the risk..
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike,

Everyone has their favorite setup and you'll get varying strong opinions regarding battery/switch/regulator requirements. Personally I use a single 5 cell nicad battery, no regulator, and HD JR charge switches on all of my planes. I have never had a switch or battery pack go bad in flight. The HD switch has dual sets of contacts and the JR servos you are planning to use work fine without a regulator. I also cycle my battery packs regularly and replace them when they drop to 70-75% of rated capacity.

Anytime you add components in series reliability decreases; conversely when you add redundant components in parallel reliability improves. I recommend that you not use matchboxes on any critical flight surfaces. If a regulator goes bad (unless you have two in parallel) or if a matchbox fails you will be in trouble. You have 9 channels, why not use them all? Only one channel should be required for the turbine. Put the ailerons and flaps on separate channels. Use a matchbox to link steering to rudder.

I don't believe they are necessary but if you are dead set on using two batteries each should have its own switch, then each to separate receiver inputs. If you are dead set on using a regulator then you should have two, one in each battery/switch circuit.

Joe
Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 PM
FILE IFR

So you think I should be alright by just making a 'Y' connection with both aileron servos and the same with the flaps? If chosen I will solder the connections, I never felt comfy using a 'plug' connection for an installation like that. It's true that the more extras I add, it's more of a chance for something to fail.

One more question... A battery (6 v) fresh off the charger will hold more than 6 volts for a short time, The increased voltage won't hurt servos rated for 6v?
BTW, I still feel better using 2 batteris though.

Thanks again guys for the earlier advice on this,
Mike
Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use two 6V batteries and two heavy duty switches plugged into two different ports on my RX. No regulators for me. I am also using the 9C. Never had any servo problems with batteries hot off the charger.
I am in the camp that simple is better. I stay away from additional devices like regulators and matchboxes when possible. One less link in the chain of things to fail. Everyone has their own preferred methods and that's OK. Just do what you feel good about. As far as Y connections I use shrink tubing to secure the connection. Never had a problem.

Dom
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: MaJ. Woody

I use two 6V batteries and two heavy duty switches plugged into two different ports on my RX. No regulators for me. I am also using the 9C. Never had any servo problems with batteries hot off the charger.
I am in the camp that simple is better. I stay away from additional devices like regulators and matchboxes when possible. One less link in the chain of things to fail. Everyone has their own preferred methods and that's OK. Just do what you feel good about. As far as Y connections I use shrink tubing to secure the connection. Never had a problem.

Dom
Ditto Dom completely except I use a DX7 radio. VERY good advice.

Dave
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Using a Y on ailerons or flaps works. You need to take care that the control horns and linkages are installed identically so that each of the surfaces move identically. That will be harder to do with the flaps since both servo arms will have to be pointing in the same direction making the linkages somewhat different right to left. Personally I prefer to use separate channels so that I can adjust the neutral and end points separately.

What's wrong with a set up like this? :
1 throttle (ECU)
2 elevator
3 rudder with matchbox to steering
4 right aileron
5 left aileron
6 right flap
7 left flap
8 retracts
9 brakes

A good 5 cell pack fresh off the charger can be at or slightly above 7 volts. In that case it is possible to get some slight servo jitter when you first turn on. If that happens all you have to do is wiggle the transmitter sticks a few times. That will drop the pack voltage by a few tenths of a volt, the jitter stops, and you are ready to fly. As I said before I have unregulated 5 cell nicad packs in all of my planes and never have had an issue in thousands of flights. You have to use servos that can take the extra voltage, and you are. All of the JR servos I've used work fine.

If using two batteries makes you feel better then by all means do so.

Joe
Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
SinCityJets

Two 2S1P A123 batteries would work good too! No regulators.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

That's what I'm doing now . The only thing is that a preflight load test isn't as valuable as with a NiMH pacK . The A123's have a very sharp discharge curve at the end . I still test just to check pack integrity under load . I initially do a few flights and get an idea of mah use per flight and then calculate the number of flights I can get when using 70% of the capacity . The batteries charge so fast that I usually do a few flights then charge while shooting the breeze.

Marc
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
FILE IFR

Thanks Guys... I feel better about it now.

Here's my set-up (not etched in stone)

Fut- R149DP RX / JetCat P-70

1- ailerons Y'd together
2-elev
3-throt
4-rudd w/ matchbox steering
5-gear
6-flaps Y'd together VR-(E)
7-brakes & Batt #2, VR-(D)
8-AUX Turbine stndby/start/off VR-(B)
9-gear SW-(E)
DSC- Batt #1

I could do away with #8 though

Mike

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Thanks Guys... I feel better about it now.

Here's my set-up (not etched in stone)

Fut- R149DP RX / JetCat P-70

1- ailerons Y'd together
2-elev
3-throt
4-rudd w/ matchbox steering
5-gear
6-flaps Y'd together VR-(E)
7-brakes & Batt #2, VR-(D)
8-AUX Turbine stndby/start/off VR-(B)
9-gear SW-(E)
DSC- Batt #1

I could do away with #8 though

Mike

Do away with the AUX on the ECU and use it for the flaps. Any reason why you have 2 channels for retracts? Use ch5 for an aileron and then you'll be able to program in CROW for landing.

Dave
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Any reason why you have 2 channels for retracts? Use ch5 for an aileron and then you'll be able to program in CROW for landing.

Dave
Yes there is a reason for that... I'm a Bozo for not checking my notes[:@]. I'm sure I would have caught that before first flight. I designated that channel for steering actually (no matchbox).

Good catch Dave!
I did think about having 'crow' though.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Flying Arrow
My Feedback: (6)

It would be better if you use 2 ch fro flaps so you can easier adjustments!