Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Anyone flying a Sprint with an AMT Mercury? I am wondering about exhaust nozzle and heat issues depending on mounting location and CG.I would like to see your install?

Thanks

mb
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a JetMunt in my Sprint and its only 230mm long your AMT is 292mm and I don't have any heat issues, even though it is installed as far forward as I can get it, due to its light weight, using the recommended C of G I had to put 200grams of lead in the nose, I am taking this out bit by bit and have still not reached the optimum C of G for my style of flying.

Mike
Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Heat1960

Newbie to the jet scene and was wondering if someone can give me some advise on fittings. I have a JetCat P80SE on the way and was wondering if someone can help me out with what I need in way of Festo fittings, fuel fittings, inline filters etc for the setup in the Sprint for the install. Using the Jet Tech Kevlar tank and Hanson UAT. Turbine will have Kero Start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Calvin.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Calvin

I have the P80se good choice in my opinion! If I remeber correctly everything you need for the turbine is in the box! the UAT will probably need some kero proof fuel line, length dependatnt on set up, Look back at post on here in regards to how high to lift the p80 se.
The mounts are off center and you will need to raise it a little.
I lifted mine the reccomended amount and it was fine but then fitted the Kero plug and wished I had not gone for perfect center as the plug will hit the top of the canopy when you slide it on.!!!

Sorry I cant give you a measurement as im not in the shop but its well documented on here.

If you need any help at all feel free to pm mail me and I will assist where I can, this was my first jet and Im still getting used to it but the turbine side of it is remarkably simple from an operating point of view, and the flying and set up just takes a bit of time to find your own preferences.

I tell you this mate you will have a smile form one continent to the other.

Regards

Major
Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Mike

Took the c/g back to 9 3/4 and fitted a new 5000mah nimh in the nose ,which ment I could remove a large amount of dead weight in exchange for something useful.
model handeled much better and now the nose holds its own in the turns without the rudder being required to prop it up.
Still not happy with cg as I think I will take it back some more, but going to look at the incidence in the tail next as I have an amount of down elevator to hold the model level in flight and I think if I can track down the cause it will improve the model further.
Still getting used to it but I am looking forward to each flight and as I get used to it the fun just keeps growing,
Hows yours ?

Regards

Mick
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
rager24
My Feedback: (9)

On mine with the p-80se kero start
I had to set the plug at 11 o'clock looking from rear
And the jetcat came with everything I needed to set it up.
My cg was set per the man and it was too nose heavy
Would drop its nose in turns. I had 15oz of lead in the nose now its down to 9oz
It flys much better

[img][/img]
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Heat1960

Newbie to the jet scene and was wondering if someone can give me some advise on fittings. I have a JetCat P80SE on the way and was wondering if someone can help me out with what I need in way of Festo fittings, fuel fittings, inline filters etc for the setup in the Sprint for the install. Using the Jet Tech Kevlar tank and Hanson UAT. Turbine will have Kero Start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Calvin.
Over and above what is supplied with the turbine you will need:
Festo shup off valve between the pump and solinoids.
Two Festo connectors at the turbine to allow purging the fuel lines without dissconecting from the turbine, can be awkward according to inlet position.
Barbs to put onto the copper tank tubes.
Stainless steel wire to wire on the tygon from the tank/UAT too the vent and pump and the clunk line inside the tank, and the fill line.
Inline filter is supplied with the P80SE.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I am sure someone else will come up with somthing.

Mike
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
BaldEagel

Mick

Glad to hear you are experimenting with the C of G, have mine back at about the same as you, but still going backwards, had a bit of a woops with it last Sunday and took out the UC on a rough patch of our field, landed a bit short with a flame out, my fault I was having so much fun I ran out of fuel, must remember to listen to the timer next time, trouble is it took out the flap and TE of the stub wing as well, oh and the wheel wells, so I am busy redoing it at the moment, gives me an excuse to put the landing lights in the stub wings.

Did you ever do anything about the Reapear?

Mike
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Heat1960

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful and appreciated. Will be doing assembly over the winter and maiden in the spring. Can't wait.

Calvin.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM
skaap2k

Hi folks,

I got my sprint fixed up.. Flew her twice in a day... Incredible plane!!!

Rob
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Mike

Not done the Reaper yet, still in two minds as I was talking to Tony Nijius the other day when he gave a talk at the local club and he showed me an awesome vampire he is working on at the moment that will be available in the spring and its designed around the 80 size turbine, all wood constuction cnc pack or full wood pack and the price whilst not confirmed wont be far away from the reaper but a bit more work I think.

As for your damage, I did something similar on the maiden and whilst it was fixable I opted to cut the center wing away and fit a new one as it is sold as a spare.
This was probably a more expencive way to go but the model is as new now as opposed to a patch up with is about the best way to describe what I would have ended up with!

Another good reason to go for a boomerang if you bend it you can fix it and if you really bend it you can buy just the bit you need.

Hoping to fly at the weekend if the gales die down a bit, made some more tweaks to the crow settings, ready to try again and each time it just gets better.#

Regards

Mick

Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Rager24

Now you have removed your 6oz of lead where is the c/g?
I am looking for some numbers as several people that fly sprints all agree the cg needs to move but few have moved it!!
I have mine a 9 3/4" which is only a small amount of change but it made a fair change to the flying so I am interested how far back others have gone before it goes a bit twichy!!

Are you using the 125oz tank?

Regards

Major
Old 11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Mike

Not done the Reaper yet, still in two minds as I was talking to Tony Nijius the other day when he gave a talk at the local club and he showed me an awesome vampire he is working on at the moment that will be available in the spring and its designed around the 80 size turbine, all wood constuction cnc pack or full wood pack and the price whilst not confirmed wont be far away from the reaper but a bit more work I think.

A vampire now that would be nice, may even get me to fly scale, but I doubt it. LOL

As for your damage, I did something similar on the maiden and whilst it was fixable I opted to cut the center wing away and fit a new one as it is sold as a spare.
This was probably a more expencive way to go but the model is as new now as opposed to a patch up with is about the best way to describe what I would have ended up with!

Another good reason to go for a boomerang if you bend it you can fix it and if you really bend it you can buy just the bit you need.

Not the way I bend them, the Elan was in so many bits I don't think anything was salvagable, except the turbine thank goodness.

Hoping to fly at the weekend if the gales die down a bit, made some more tweaks to the crow settings, ready to try again and each time it just gets better.#

Regards

Mick
Just checked the C of G on my Sprint its at 9" I thought it was further forward than that, but it seems fine, may move it back even further next time out, once I get it repaired that is, the lighting installtion is looking good will post pics once its done, Oh yes I have stripped off all that horrible grey underside and am going to recover it in something I can see against our usual grey clouds. LOL

Mike
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
rager24
My Feedback: (9)

major not sure where it is now just kept taking it out a oz at a time
and the festo fiting came with the kero start so I did not have to buy anything but the safty wire.
Rager
Old 11-13-2010, 12:38 PM
skaap2k

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had a soft copy of the decal sheet that came with the sprint???

Cheers,
Rob
Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: rager24

major not sure where it is now just kept taking it out a oz at a time
and the festo fiting came with the kero start so I did not have to buy anything but the safty wire.
Rager
How about the stop valve between the pump and solinoids? none of my turbines came with one and I think in the US it mandatory, or some means of shutting off the fuel other than the solinoids?

Mike
Old 11-13-2010, 01:24 PM
MAJOR SPLAT

Hi Mike

You are corect the valve is not part of the kit although for the money it should be, And I would reccomend it personally.

Just got back from a day with the boomer and what can I say.
I have hit the sweet spot with my set up and the model flys like its on rails and even with zero wind but full brake and crow she came in great.
I am happy to call myself a jet pilot now!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 PM
chris1971

Yes we are supposed to have a manual way of shuting off the fuel flow per AMA regulations. I have a festo shut off valve between the solenoid and engine.

chris
Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 PM
BaldEagel

Had enough of that awful silver scheme that my Sprint came with, these old eyes can't see it in the grey sky's we get the majority of the time in the UK, so I have striped the covering off and am going to do my own scheme, this means taking off all the flappy bits and I will need new hinges, after an extensive search on the WWW and going to various model shops I came to the conclusion that decent CA hinges are not available locally, what to do.

Sent Alan Cardash an e-mail and he is putting them in the post for with his compliments, now that's why we buy these things isn't it, thanks Alan you are a real gentleman.

Mike
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 PM
swasey1982

Hey guys:

I was wondering if anybody who has a dreamworks landing gear installed on the sprint could take a pic of the forward landing gear, trying to figure a few things out..

Thanks

Richard

Edit.... Found what I needed !!

have a good day.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
PHague80

Performance of Sprint using a Jetcat P-60.

I just ordered a Sprint and I'm would like to use my Jetcat P-60 that is left over from my Boomerrang Baby.

Does this engine have enought power for the airplane? I'm would like to use Pro-link retract set for the airplane. Are these retracts to heavy if I'm using a P-60?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM
BaldEagel

The P60 is at the bottom end of the acceptable thrust levels for the Sprint, but should still be OK if you can keep it light.

On the UC question it all accords if you fly from grass or tarmac, if grass then the Pro Link/Lynx type of retract is the way to go, but a simple fixed UC would keep it lighter if you want the best performance from the P60 combination, why not get the Nano instead, ideal for the P60.

Mike
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

We have one flying with a P60 it does fly well but bit slower of the ground, P60 in my intro is better all round, the sprint is heavier and better suited to P70/80
Old 11-23-2010, 06:38 PM
BaldEagel

Unfortunatly the Intro is not made anymore, if you want to go to a good performance level on a P60 it would have to be the Nano now.

Mike
Old 11-23-2010, 06:40 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Had enough of that awful silver scheme that my Sprint came with, these old eyes can't see it in the grey sky's we get the majority of the time in the UK, so I have striped the covering off and am going to do my own scheme, this means taking off all the flappy bits and I will need new hinges, after an extensive search on the WWW and going to various model shops I came to the conclusion that decent CA hinges are not available locally, what to do.

Sent Alan Cardash an e-mail and he is putting them in the post for with his compliments, now that's why we buy these things isn't it, thanks Alan you are a real gentleman.

Mike
Update the hinges arrived in the post yesterday, trouble is I am still covering the Sprint so I don't need them yet, Alan you where too fast for me. LOL

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.