Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Feei Bao F22 Raptor advise Please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Feei Bao F22 Raptor advise Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM
OttoKranz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Feei Bao F22 Raptor advise Please

Hi all,

you can see my video here [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9aTT-W5B3o[/youtube].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9aTT-W5B3o

I was really very very very very very fast on landing, I was terrified about stalling but 350 km/h with flaps at 40 is really to much

This was my first landing and then a I needed to relax on grass for half an hour [&:]

Better next time I hope!

Fortunately the nose open around the glued parts, I had to repair the left wing tip, front landing gear and some other things but nothing very important.

If you like, this is my channel http://www.youtube.com/8kranz

Ciao!

Alessandro

Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
iiievolution

Congratulations. Yes the landing looked like it was quite exciting

Paul

Old 05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations!

Wow!! that was a fast landing!! Good to hear that it is easily repairable. Ours is just about ready to take to the skies....mainly waiting for the ECU to get back from Jetcat.,.....

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM
OttoKranz

Thanks!

Belive me, it was one of the most exciting things I've done in all my life.... but I think you can easily understand me!

The CG was perfect at 16,5 cm (I've been very carefull about this) and in this second flight (in the first one a friend of mine landed the F22) I had to reduce the exponentials and increase a little bit the excursions. With flaps at 15 only a little bit of trimming and less at 40... perfect!

I've placed two orange stripes at the end of the wings (easily removable) because it's really difficult to see the plane if the sky is full of clouds. But it wasn't so helpfull.

Ciao

Alessandro

Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM
always dangerous

Hi Wayne , Dave UK , could i have your thoughts please,
Been flying the Raptor a bit , set it with wing ailerons and elevators at rear and found as you did the aileron response was quite soft so i mixed in some elevon to rear stabs and it cheered it up no end .
However i am having trouble tightening up the turn on finals !
In normal flight with steady speed a fairly tight turn can be achieved by banking quite hard and pulling the model round with the elevator , it does not drop the nose and never looks unhappy ,
however my problem is when on final's with low throttle and flaps down the last thing i want to do is bank hard and yank the elevator but without doing that the turn radius is very big making it hard to line up on our patch to land .
It was recomended not to fit rudders but without them i dont know how else to achive a tighter turn !, appreciate your thoughts please ,
Hope you are all well , Dave.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Wayne22

I will have to check with my son.... He did his first flight this past Sunday, although he had lots of flights on the old one,

There is one important lesson to pass on to everyone - locktite is your friend - use it! (nosewheel came off on take off, but two wheel landing was pulled off with zero damage.)

I'll get back to you when I have an answer.....

Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Wayne22

I discussed this with my son, and he has never had any problem. He drops one notch of flaps prior to turning on the base leg, and selects full flaps when he is established on final. Turning has never been a problem...he does a descending 180 degree turn from downwind onto final
Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 AM
OttoKranz

Dave, I have exactly the same problem. Next time I'll try the suggestion of Wayne to select full flaps on final, this could help but I think is not the answer. Perhaps we have the same problem, CG? I'm at 16,5 cm and you? Perhaps is the turbine alignment with inox tube?
However during normal flight the F-22 seems to fly as a knife and turning with strong elevator command remenbers the real one!... but too dangerous for me on landing! Please let me know if you fix the problem.

Thanks
Alessandro
Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 AM
always dangerous

Thankyou for your responses ,
I have spoken to a few people about this and the general opinion is that elevon only control seems to be more responsive than separate aileron and elevator on this kind of model .

Tightening the final turn at slow speed may be more of an issue to me as my flying site is on an active airfield and our flying area possibly more restrictive than other sites ,and its sometimes more tricky to achieve the final approach line without the benifit of a large radius final turn .

I have decided to fix the wing ailerons and have set up full movement elevon to rear surfaces , my gut feeling is that all controls being at the extreme rear of the model will maybe kick the back round more sharply !

Also although the model flys generally very well a friend of mine who was watching the flight suggested it may benifit from moving the c of g back a touch as mentioned also by Alessandro !

I will be flying it again with this configeration soon and after adjusting travels etc i will post the outcome results ,
Thank you very much for your inputs , Dave .
Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Wayne22

some video of the second flight....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcGt6-hU6H4&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Wayne22

We got 7 flights on the Raptor this weekend. Mike tried to see how close he could make the circuit and the one approach doing a 180 degree diving turn from downwind onto final was probably only 150' in diameter...and he said he could have cut it even closer. There was not hint of any problems. although he did keep a fair head of speed up until lined up with the runway, then honked the nose up ,and it just slowed right down and settled lightly on the mains.......

A friend took this video of the last flight yesterday...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM1i6YWHVFc[/youtube]
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice flight and especially the landing!!!! Congrats. What, is that a blue Canadian sky I see????????? What ever happened to overcast and snow flurries????

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Wayne22

Hey Jim.....
blue skies are not that uncommon up here.... but the shirtsleeve weather is! Been a pretty iffy summer, but last weekend was perfect!!! thanks for the kind words..

PS Dave got a jet flight in...but not on your old bird.