Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Max input to Ram 500 Ecu ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Max input to Ram 500 Ecu ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max input to Ram 500 Ecu ?

Hi Everyone,
does anyone know the max. input voltage for the Ram 500 ECU ? When I charge the 1400mah Sanyo nicad for 14hrs @ 140mah-the open circuit voltage just off the charger is 9.57vdc-as soon as it is plugged in and powererd up it is 8.60vdc-that speed 300 motor that is used as the starter motor draws 25 amps on a cold start-thats alot of current-when it is starting the engine-the voltage drops to as low as 6.75vdc-I wonder if you can use a 7cell pack-the extra 1.35volt would help-BUT can the ECU take it ?-the full charge voltage could be 11vdc no load........all measurements were taken with a Fluke DVOM

Jackjet
Old 03-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jack

Absolutely DO NOT use an 8.4 volt pack will blow components. A couple of tricks - spin up the engine with the electric starter then as it slows hit the start run button. That will take the current draw down some. We are now using 1250 SCR packs that are designed to tolerate a high current draw. Talk to Carlos at RAM with regards to your particular engine and needs. Should you require more info please do not hesitate to contact me through my website as well. Shop phone is also listed.

Regards

Dean Wichmann
RAM Marketing / Sales
Canada
Old 03-18-2002, 01:15 AM
Jackjet

Default Ram 500 starting

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Helijet
Jack

Absolutely DO NOT use an 8.4 volt pack will blow components. A couple of tricks - spin up the engine with the electric starter then as it slows hit the start run button. That will take the current draw down some. We are now using 1250 SCR packs that are designed to tolerate a high current draw. Talk to Carlos at RAM with regards to your particular engine and needs. Should you require more info please do not hesitate to contact me through my website as well. Shop phone is also listed.

Regards

Dean Wichmann
RAM Marketing / Sales
Canada
[/QUOT

Dean,
thanks for the info-it just that the voltage of the cells just off the charger is over 9vdc and the Ecu seems to handle it ok-but that extra 1.35vdc may push it over the edge- so what I will do is parallel another 6 cell 5000mah pack for starting-just like jump starting a car....what do you think ?

Jackjet
Old 03-18-2002, 01:20 AM
Helijet

Jack

Contact me via [email protected] We can discuss this further.

Dean Wichmann
Old 03-18-2002, 05:58 AM
Brian B
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Ram 500 starting

[- so what I will do is parallel another 6 cell 5000mah pack for starting-just like jump starting a car....what do you think ?

Jackjet [/B][/QUOTE]

This is what I do. I just happened to have some 6 cell car batteries. I hook them in parallel with the onboard battery during starting, then unplug the aux batterry and go fly. Works just fine.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:03 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: Re: Ram 500 starting

Originally posted by Brian B
[- so what I will do is parallel another 6 cell 5000mah pack for starting-just like jump starting a car....what do you think ?

Jackjet
This is what I do. I just happened to have some 6 cell car batteries. I hook them in parallel with the onboard battery during starting, then unplug the aux batterry and go fly. Works just fine. [/B][/QUOTE]

Brian,

Thats just what I was thinking-and you know the engine starts much better when it is at least 70deg. or more outside.

Jackjet
Old 03-18-2002, 07:04 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default External start batteries

Jackjet,
One of the guys that flies at our club George Rada has done this with his RAM100R. He has an external battery that drives the starter motor of the engine and the onboard battery drives the solenoids and pump. He is a member here so if he reads this he might be willing to share his setup. I have seen it work it is a very superb system.

Patrick.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Brian B
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: External start batteries

Originally posted by sirrom
Jackjet,He has an external battery that drives the starter motor of the engine and the onboard battery drives the solenoids and pump
Patrick.
Now there is a great idea! I like it better than hooking up an aux battery in parallel during startup. I will have to look at my setup to see how I can do this.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:49 PM
GeorgeR
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys,

NOOOOOOO. Don't do it.

The RAM 750/750+/1000 uses a different starter motor than the 500 ( ask me how I know). I use an 8 cell 2400 mah pack connected via an automotive relay to the turbine/ECU. This allows the turbine starter motor to spin using the external battery. This external battery is higher in voltage, ie 8 cells vs. the 6 cell onboard pack. The high voltage will spin the turbine more quickly and makes for much more reliable and faster startups. The plus is that your on board ECU battery does not need to be charged until the end of the day.

The RAM 500 uses a smaller motor that will not tolerate the higher voltage of an 8 cell pack. Maybe a 7 cell pack, but I won't be conducting another $200 experiment!!

George R.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6099_733.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4447  
Old 03-18-2002, 02:43 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default external battery

George,
Just wondering if a battery of the same size (7.2v) could be used externally so that you would not be putting all the load on the internal battery. Just increase the capacity of the external battery from 1250 mah to 2000 mah? Reading the other posts RAM recommends sticking with their batteries because the ECU could not handle the higher capacity but what about the starter motor?

Patrick.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:03 PM
Helijet

Guys

I have spoken with both Albert and Bob Price on the subject. If you wish you can use a higher amp battery particularly the SCR cells work very well. We have had good success with 1800 - 2000 mah SCR packs.

We have been supplying 1250mah 7.2 volt SCR packs ( red ) to replace the older ( blue ) 1400 AAE . Under no circumstanes use a higher voltage pack than 7.2 as we cannot guarantee ECU damage will not occur ( read at your own risk ).

Should you have any further questions please contact me through
www.helijet.ca

Dean Wichmann
RAM Marketing/Sales
Canada