Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT BA's Concorde

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT BA's Concorde

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: AMT BA's Concorde

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Now that is the most perfect and most beautiful RC Concorde ever produced!!, yikes it even have working scale thrust reversers also!!

So she is still alive, well i also think FAA could grant it a waiver but i have no idea what it will take to get it.

How come it's so heavy if someone can shed a light on it please. Thanks
I can explain some of the weight: it had A LOT of stuff in it! I remember talking to Jim and Andy Low (Electrodynamics, Andy did a lot of the electrical stuff in it for Jim) at Superman '00 or '01 about it. It had a 12 volt system in it. So he had some big NiCd or NiMh 12 volt packs. One of the things that they ran was an on-board electric air compressor to keep the pnuematics pumped up.

It was very intricate. Lots of STUFF!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Woketman

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Now that is the most perfect and most beautiful RC Concorde ever produced!!, yikes it even have working scale thrust reversers also!!

So she is still alive, well i also think FAA could grant it a waiver but i have no idea what it will take to get it.

How come it's so heavy if someone can shed a light on it please. Thanks
I can explain some of the weight: it had A LOT of stuff in it! I remember talking to Jim and Andy Low (Electrodynamics, Andy did a lot of the electrical stuff in it for Jim) at Superman '00 or '01 about it. It had a 12 volt system in it. So he had some big NiCd or NiMh 12 volt packs. One of the things that they ran was an on-board electric air compressor to keep the pnuematics pumped up.

It was very intricate. Lots of STUFF!!!
Wasn't the thrust reversing system actuated by electric jackscrews as well?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I remember he hauled that plane around A LOT! It showed up static for years it seemed.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Man I remember he hauled that plane around A LOT! It showed up static for years it seemed.
It is very impressive to see the final product. I was at either Superman or HOH but I think Superman many years ago when he received the shell in pieces and the top and bottom halves were not even joined.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know the history of the build, anyone know who did the work? I believe I read that he had a few guys working on it, but not sure.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

didnt Carlson do the fuse? i remember he had it at the same time as his 757 there at superman.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: patf

didnt Carlson do the fuse? i remember he had it at the same time as his 757 there at superman.
Yep, Delivered it to Jim at Superman
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 PM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

The next I go up to see Jim, I'll take some pictures of it. He still has all his other flying models (Turn Key), and they are for sale. If anyone is interested, give me a call. He really wants to sell them! 502-429-6365
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What's he got for sale?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

yep I would love to know what he has for sale
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

The Concord was built by John Carlson and delivered at Superman in 2000. John did have his 757 that maidened there and my 757 was just a shell. John is a great designer and builder. (with 6 kids now he doesn't have much time to build anymore!). I finally got my 757 done this year and had it out at L A Jets here in Ca. It's a nice ship as well. The Concord is really something though. If I remember it was 22' long!
Hope this clears some of this up.
Lowell Wexler
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

ORIGINAL: jet time

The Concord was built by John Carlson and delivered at Superman in 2000. John did have his 757 that maidened there and my 757 was just a shell. John is a great designer and builder. (with 6 kids now he doesn't have much time to build anymore!). I finally got my 757 done this year and had it out at L A Jets here in Ca. It's a nice ship as well. The Concord is really something though. If I remember it was 22' long!
Hope this clears some of this up.
Lowell Wexler
Hi Lowell:
Could to hear from you , can you post a picture of your bird for us

Thanks,,,, Dave
Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 AM
jeteye

Jim has a Yellow F-18, BVM F-4, and BVM Rafale. They all are ready to fly. If interested give me a call 502-429-6365-H, 502-592-5267-C.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 AM
jeteye

Just talked to Jim today. He has a BVM Rafale, BVM F-4, Yellow F-4, and JMP Firebird. They all are ready to fly. If interested give me a call 502-429-6365-H, 502-592-5267-C.

He is planning to donate the Concord to the Smithsonian if he can contact someone affiliated with the them. If you know of a contact, let me know.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Thanks Dave..good to here from you too. If you go to Skymaster 757 on RCU you will find a few pictures from last years LA Jets. It is being re-done from the "roll-out" scheme and will have two p-60's in it. John's flew with a pair of OS 91's and Ramtec fans. It flew great and this should be even better! Look it up.
Be well,
Lowell
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
gustavo Campana

i want to buy a concorde.... anybody =??

gustavo
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 AM
L. Kramer
My Feedback: (2)

If you look closley at Carbon-Customs pictures (3rd one, in the trailer behind the Maverick) you can see the 1/2 scale (to Jim's Concorde) foam model that my Father and I built to help find the CG and other fly habits. We made every part of the model 1/2 scale from the control surfaces to the landing gear location. We used a single beat-up Mercury for power. It ended up with and CG range of about 1 inch, that was from flying with holding up elevator to the being to tail heavy to to handle. It clocked out on radar at 130 MPH, the motor was only pushing about 16 lbs of thrust.

Larry
Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: L. Kramer

If you look closley at Carbon-Customs pictures (3rd one, in the trailer behind the Maverick) you can see the 1/2 scale (to Jim's Concorde) foam model that my Father and I built to help find the CG and other fly habits. We made every part of the model 1/2 scale from the control surfaces to the landing gear location. We used a single beat-up Mercury for power. It ended up with and CG range of about 1 inch, that was from flying with holding up elevator to the being to tail heavy to to handle. It clocked out on radar at 130 MPH, the motor was only pushing about 16 lbs of thrust.

Larry
Gee i was wondering why that picture was posted but you have good eye Larry!!!, it's hard to see unless you pointed it now.

What type of airfoil did you used on that 1/2 scale to Jim's Concorde model?, was this just prototype or one off for Jim or did you made more afterwards...
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
L. Kramer
My Feedback: (2)

The 1/2 scale foam model was a one-off test model. I used some Home Depot foam (pink and blue) and plywood for the high strength area's. For the airfoil it was a "looks good" type. I think it weighted around 17-18 lbs.

Larry
Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
sflaten

One of the more impressive models on display in Toledo was Jim Weigle's MIoscale, 21-foot-long Concorde. With an 8-foot wingspan, the 225-pound jet is powered by four AMT Olympus AT 450 turbines-each of which produces nearly 50 pounds of thrust! Jim designed the jet using a scale plastic model, then had fiberglass molds made to spec. With only the radio equipment and some hardware to install, the jet should be ready to fly soon; we'll keep you posted.
(Toledo 2000)
[/quote]
I can add some clarity on the construction. The molds and first fiberglass fuse and wings were built by JohnCarlson out of the Minneapolis area. At Superman Rally back in maybe 1999 or so the stuff was delivered to AMT. The body was made of fibergladd and I think that Weigle installed an aluminum spar system. The body and wings were very light (I actually helped John deliver these parts and carried them across the field), and I can imagine the need to hold the structure for the turbines was machined structure which added weight.

Steve
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Sooooo, who has the kit, who has the one in the pics, where can I get one? I don't care about AMA rules, I want one to build an fly at my own FBO, and others can come and fly their own large ones! Doesn't matter what the size, if you want to build and fly where you can, then do it! Surely you know of some land or un-developed streets where you can go and if you are flying on your own then AMA doesn't have anything to do with anything!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Jerry K

[quoteyou can go and if you are flying on your own then AMA doesn't have anything to do with anything!][/quote] That is not nessarily true.The way I remember it is that if you violate the conditions of your waver anywhere anytime, AMA field or private land you risk having your AMA issued waver revoked. The issue is not weather you can fly on your own land it is weather you can fly under the AMA umbrela, ever again. Keep in mind Flying under AMA is a privlige not a right which can be revoked at any time. This has been disgussed in the same context about a year ago in the same type of thread about Jim's plane.

Jerry
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
teebox11

If one only flys at ama fields, or sanctioned events, that is one thing. If one flys under ama rules at a field, that is one thing. I can have an event that ama doens't have anything to do with. Of course, it wouldn't be an unorganized free-for-all, but if a bunch of us fly anywhere and are within the rules of ama, then that all applies. If I want to build and fly a 200 pound giant on my own land, field, or fbo, then I can and won't have my card revoked by ama. If ama was the all mighty, then people wouldn't be able to join and go fly anywhere they can! Shoot folks, relax and have fun!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
teebox11

I want it, I'll buy it, kit or otherwise. So, will the REAL owner, builder, kit maker, please sound off?!?!?!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
johnnyarvika

Hello.

I think its one foor sale in Denmark.
http://www.rc-unionen.dk/nytforum/to...TOPIC_ID=33210
One Airbus 380 in Germany.
www.rauch-airliner.com/forsale.htm

Reg. Johnny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.