Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I have problems with my Air Power EVSD-5U-PRO-ST

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I have problems with my Air Power EVSD-5U-PRO-ST

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Mavrik!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I have problems with my Air Power EVSD-5U-PRO-ST

Hey Todd,

I will try rebinding first and see what happens. It vents from the valve itself as soon as I turn on the RX. It cannot be a leaking cylinder/gear or door as in manual mode it holds air fine. I will try rebind, then maybe reprogram EV 5U and see what happens and report back in a day or so when the family give me a break!

FYI The rabbit in the FE F 16 was great. 4 flights, 2 with gear up and the other 2 gear down due to intermitent fault. I wonder if Eric will let me dial it up to 155k for 20 pounds?

Mav
Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this sounds obvious but..mine leaked as one of the knurled screw in air fittings to the valve had come loose (despite tightening with pliers to compress the plastic washer etc..)

DD
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Jet Doctor

I don't know if all the new valves are supplied with the nurled nipples for input and output? The older version of Air Power that I got with a seperate programming card had quick connect type fittings for in and out. It took me a while to find out how to tighten these fittings without butchering them because they are smooth chrome fitting. Eventually I saw that there is an Allen Key slot on the inside of the fitting!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Mavrik!

Guys,

I have emailed Dirk from Airpower. Now reply. I will try him again. I have tried rebinding and re programming the EV5U. It still dumps gear air when I turn it on???????????????

When I push the M (Manual button it operates fine and HOLDS air??????????

I think it is buggered unless someone else has had this problem and fixed it?

I will send it back to Airpower for a replacement. It is 10 months old and I bought it new. Has had barely any use?

Oh well part of the challenge of RC jets I guess.

Mav
Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I was thinking of purchasing one of these and trying it out, but I don't know.......
Sure seems like a lot of people are having problems with them.
I like the idea of a simplified installation, but it doesn't do much good if it's not going to work right.

Jim
Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I flew my Tucano that is equipped with the 5U-Pro valve and this time I have no problems to report. Very reliable and with the addition of an extra XL air tank for the brakes, a lot of air to spare. I'm buying a third 5U-Pro...... this time for my new Viperjet
Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

I was thinking of purchasing one of these and trying it out, but I don't know.......
I like the idea of a simplified installation, but it doesn't do much good if it's not going to work right.

Jim
Jim,
With over 500 of these units already in the field, I would not consider the few issues being reported "a lot".
Some problems are programing errors, some are radio induced, and some are indeed defective valves, it does happen with electronic equipment. It's typically the guy having a problem that you hear from, you rarely hear from the other 99.5% satisfied users.....

Mav,
Shoot me an email at [email protected] we can work out the details for us to send a replacement.
Todd
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Todd,
Thanks for that info.
It helps to know that there are over 500 out there in use, and many are not having any problems. That makes me feel better.
Maybe I'll give one a try after all.

Jim
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Hammbone

Jim
Jim,
With over 500 of these units already in the field, I would not consider the few issues being reported "a lot".
Some problems are programing errors, some are radio induced, and some are indeed defective valves, it does happen with electronic equipment. It's typically the guy having a problem that you hear from, you rarely hear from the other 99.5% satisfied users.....

Mav,
Shoot me an email at [email protected] we can work out the details for us to send a replacement.
Todd
Hey Todd,

That would be great. Yes you are right, you only hear about the few that are having problems. The other 99% are just fine. When using electronic stuff there is bound to be 1 or 2 faulty out of 500. It happens with other electronic equipment also.

I will do one last round of trouble shoot and try everything I can think of including reprograming, using a servo tester to run the gear channel to eliminate 2.4 etc etc. I will send you an email.

Cheers, Mav

PS When the AUD recovers I will be buying a Merlin 90 from you!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
lov2flyrc

Mav,
One thing I would suggest you test is pinching off the opposite lines for gear and doors when you power up to see if the leak out the exhaust port stops.... IE, with the gear are in the down position pinch off the up line for the retracts and door close line for the doors, then power up the valve. This will will help diagnose if the leak is in the valve itself or a gear/door cylinder gone bad. If it still leaks with these lines closed off, valve is bad.
When you say the valve works fine in manual mode, are you able to cycle the gear both up AND down without the valve leaking?
No worries mate, I'll get you fixed up
Todd
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Mav,
One thing I would suggest you test is pinching off the opposite lines for gear and doors when you power up to see if the leak out the exhaust port stops.... IE, with the gear are in the down position pinch off the up line for the retracts and door close line for the doors, then power up the valve. This will will help diagnose if the leak is in the valve itself or a gear/door cylinder gone bad. If it still leaks with these lines closed off, valve is bad.
When you say the valve works fine in manual mode, are you able to cycle the gear both up AND down without the valve leaking?
No worries mate, I'll get you fixed up
Todd
I must do a back flip here.

THERE is no problem with my EV5U valve. Todd was right I traced it to a leaking cylinder!!!!!!!! I have fixed the problem thanks to you guys on this forum. Thank you!

Again I beleive this valve is great and 99.9% work fine, but the odd one will have QC issues like anything!!!!!!

Cheers,

Mav
Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 AM
JM-PORTUGAL

Dear all.
I solve my problems put ATV in max. rate...
Try it.
JM
Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Matt Chapman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all vry interesting stuff. I'm still trying to figure out simply how to get the programig to work. The manual is not really too geat. i get the idea, but I'm not pushing the right buttons at the right time I guess. I have mine configuered, or at least trying to set it up for Mode 3, with a servo and valve for the nose gear door. I cant figure out how to get the main gera doors to close, nor get the nose gear servo to operate at the correct time to opperate the valve. Also, not able to figure out how to set the travel of the servo. I'm wondering if I should be in mode 4....?
Is there any 'plain english' instructions anyone has had luck with? I never saw an answer to the air trap question... where and what type do you run? On my first fill today I saw water creeping in the fill line.
Any help or ideas are welcome!!
Thanks!
Matt-C
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

NuB Questions:

1.Can't seem to be able to mix down elevator to brake (JR 9303 2.4), could it eb EPA related?
2.What is the extension with the amplifier for?
3.What is the set of extra small screws with gasket for?
4.Is there a way of retaining system pressure when I turn off the Rx?

Thanks!

David
Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 AM
lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

NuB Questions:

1.Can't seem to be able to mix down elevator to brake (JR 9303 2.4), could it eb EPA related?
2.What is the extension with the amplifier for?
3.What is the set of extra small screws with gasket for?
4.Is there a way of retaining system pressure when I turn off the Rx?

Thanks!

David
David....
1. little tough to answer this one, not sure what your programming issue is from your question? Are you getting brake actuation but not full brake?
2. Not need, can be discarded.
3. spare screws for the add on ports on the side of the valve.
4. No, all of the electronic valves bleed off the pressure to the gear/doors when powered down. This is normal operation.

Matt,
I suggest you call to discuss....
Todd
Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Todd,

When I go down Elevator, the brake does not actuate but it does work fine when the side slive on the Tx is triggered. Seems like an end point adjustment problem, will have to give it a try when I get home.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all

For the air leaking out issue, at Jets over Kentucky one of the Pilots in Bob's tent next to us I think his name was Jim with a Skymaster F-86 sorry I forget. Anyway we were discussing the issue and he thought about using another air solenoid that is normaly closed on the gear down line so it doesn't leek out when you turn your plane off.

I just happened to have an extra gas valve, which is normal closed when off and plugged it in to my smart fly to get power when the plane was on.

Turn the power off valve closes. Works pretty good, I can remember the draw, i measured it with my amp meter and it was pretty low.

I think Todd has some gas valves that are pretty small.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 AM
davo580

my lg won't stay locked down when i turn my plane off. seems to rely on the lg locking mech
Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
hpais

Funny that I just opened this thread and the following ad came up:
http://www.lado-tech.net/

Electric retracts that are compatible with Robart 600 and 630 series... now when will they come up with one that can handle a 10kg (22lb) jet?

You could get rid of the whole airlines, plugins, tubes, air compressors, filters, driers, valves... is it a dream?

I also fly full size airplanes (non-jet, single engine), and a Mooney I used to have has electric retracts. It's actually an electric motor (like a starter) coupled to a gearbox and a spindle. The spindle winds up or down three sets of cables hence actuating the retracts up or down. Very simple, low maintenance and extremely reliable. It has a pull cord for backup in case the motor gets fried. That would be an idea...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Len McIntosh
My Feedback: (13)

Does anyone have the perscribed method of programing the brakes from 'Off/On' to 'Full Proportional' ? The unit works fine in mode 2 and 'On /Off' brakes.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
lov2flyrc

Len,
this setting program is in the manual which can be found [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/fdm_download_file.php?fileid=6]HERE[/link]

Basically, hold the enter button for 3 sec, press same button again twice, BK and OFF is now blinking, press the INC button to turn ON pulse mode. If you dont wish to alter the rest of the values, just hit the enter button until you exit the program mode.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Len McIntosh
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks for the quick response. Actually this is not a 'Pro' unit but an EV-5U-A unit and the instructions are vague and confusing. I need instructions on how to switch the Brakes to Proportional operation. On and Off brakes and the LG modes work fine without any system air leaks.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I have yet a "New" problem with our valve in the Bandit.

What is happening is on the first retraction of the gear after the system is booted up, it retracts the gear and then continues to dump air until the fail safe value is reached and then it drops the gear and stops dumping air.

We found this on the very first flight of the Bandit as the gear went in the well and dropped again a few seconds later.

What we have found is that if you re-service the air without rebooting the system the valve works perfectly. So we now follow this procedure until we can get a replacement valve:

Service air - boot system - on a stand, retract gear and allow system to bleed down and drop the gear via fail safe setting - re-service air test cycle gear again for proper operation - re-service again - go fly.

At no time do we ever shut off the system or we have to complete the above steps again.

We will be requesting a new replacement valve.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 PM
larshkj

Hi.

It seems that some moisture or oil have found it's way in to my EVSD-5U-PRO valve. As a result, the pressure sensor have stopped working. The valve won't register the pressure, and the fail safe kicks in so I can't retract the gear.
Does anybody know if it's possible to clean the sensor, or in some way disable the failsafe?

Brg

Lars Henrik Kjolberg
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM
janm1

Hi. i installed mine in a viperjet, everything works fine exept the gear up/down does not work at all nothing happens/
the brake works fine, and if i go to maunal the sequence is perfect, 3 doors down, gear down, two main doors closed, lights on.
reverse the same, two doors open, gear up, lights off, 3 doors close. only the switch witch i choose does not wordk.
i use a futaba mz14 2.4. ghz. i binded the receiver again, made switch boundery's 140% , tested on a other channel, nothing works...
anybody had the same problem?

Thanks for your future help.
Jan The Netherlands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.