Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMT 180 PROBLEMS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMT 180 PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
sKrUb_69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMT 180 PROBLEMS

Does anyone have drawings on how the amt 180 goes back together? Which order the bearings and washers go back in to place..
Any help would be greatly appercaited...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: AMT 180 PROBLEMS

Can you post a pice of your parts? on the 280 the order is

Rear: First install bearing (correct angle orientation- smaller diameter side of inner race first) push on inner race of the bearing not the outer or you'll break it open...then rear spacer(small diameter), then turbine wheel (blade's leading edge towards the center of the axle, yes this sound obvious, but sometimes it seems it isn't...)
Insert assembly into turbine from the rear making sure that it seats all the way in.

Front: Insert washers (you need as many as there were before...) then install front bearing, again smaller diameter inner race first make sure bearing sits propery, push on the inner race of the bearing not the outer or you'll break it open...then insert compressor spacer, then compressor, then nut...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM
sKrUb_69

well i have all the washers and spacers... on the rear spacer is it the thick one or the thin one? do you have any pics of what you are telling me, on how to put it back together..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Ruizmilton

Remember that the assembly order Im providing is for a 280, should be similar to the 180, the rear spacer is the small outside diameter thick one that looks like a bushing. sorry I have no pics...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
sKrUb_69

no problem. i go take some real quick..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Ruizmilton

If you post a pic of all parts one beside the other I can explain the assembly order easier....
Old 04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
sKrUb_69

ok here is a pic of all the parts minus the bearings.... going to order them in a few weeks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20246.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1412667  
Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Ruizmilton

Chris:

You have parts I'm not familiar with, suggest you post your request on the turbine clinic,
1.you have a spacer that's the size of the external diameter of a bearing, wouldn't be able to tell if it goes front or rear
2. What is the part behind the axle?
3. which side of the axle is the rear? I assume the right side since it shows signs of being exposed to high heat.
4. I do not know what is the small washer used for.
5. Which is the compressor spacer?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you reassemble it, how are you going to balance the assembly? I am interested in that.
Ron
Old 04-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Ruizmilton

Chris:

I just recalled that the spacer the diameter of a bearing is the lubrication ring, it goes at the front, but to be honest, I do not recall if it goes before or after the spacer washers; does the small washer have a step on the inside diameter? if it does, it is the compressor spacer, it goes in after the front bearing, before the compressor...If you do not get any help, let me know, I could disassemble my 280 over the weekend. For balancing you can go to an auto turbocharger shop, if they have a dynamic balancer they can do it for you, but you need to specify exactly where they can remove material from at the compressor and turbine wheels, and that the assembly needs to be balanced to less than one gram after it is assembled(complete turbine core minus external cover/compressor cover), if they won't do it this way it won't work...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just guessing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wt59067.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1413013  
Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
sKrUb_69

yes I do plan on taking it to a turbo shop that is in houston. spoke with the service tech on the
phone yesterday and they have done gas turbine engines before. So i feel that they can do it just
right so i can get this turbine back together. The only thing I will need to do is order the bearings for amt
sence boca doesnt carry my size bearings. Mine are 10x22x6 .... well thats what I got when i mic
the shaft, shaft tunnel and the old inner bearing race... mind you i fried my old rear bearing and the
front bear broke upon the dissable of the turbine... long story on how i fried the bearings but it helps
to put turbine oil in with the fuel.... the temp of the turbine was around 700+ cel. when I hit the shut
down and the rear bearing went... there is no scratches in the tube nor is there any on the shaft.
but thanks for all the help that everyone is giving me.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should really change the title of your thread to, "AMT-180 assembly Questions".
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should really change the title of your thread to, "AMT-180 assembly Questions". Your title makes it sound like there is a problem with the 180 itself. Just suggestin, don't be haten
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
sKrUb_69

well thanks for the post, but so far everyone thats has posted something on here
has been real helpful. So i dont think ther is a need to change the title, as for I do
have "problems " with the turbine.. Problem is i need to get my turbine back together
the right way.... Not haten, just lovin all the help that I'm getting.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but I would suggest to box it all up and send to John at U.S. Microjets and let him take it to his shop where magic is performed and you get back a top notch smoooooth running engine. I like to tinker and work on my stuff too !!! , but when it comes to a mechanical device that turns at 150K rpm, I tend to leave that to the pro's. I was with a friend of mine several years ago when he was " Tinkering with his RAM 1000 " in his hanger, and when that baby came unglued at 123K, It was beyond belief !!!! Knocked all the dust out of the rafters and made a hell of a racket !!!!! But I have to admit that the engine worked as advertised.... All the disingrated parts did come out the exhaust cone !!! The Turbine wheel was in 5 or 6 pieces.

Good luck !!!

Danno
Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM
sKrUb_69

Thanks for your concern about me working on my turbine. I did speak with John at us micro jets today. Him and I have spoke plenty of times on the phone before and when speaking with him today, he is aware of what I am doing and he gave me all the advice I needed,
and to my suprise none of it was "oh no you shouldnt rebuild it yourself". He gave me great advise on the right places to buy the bearings that will work in there turbines. John is a great guy and has been really helpful over the years with this turbine. But again like to thank everyone for there help with my turbine issues.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 AM
raptorman_8
My Feedback: (26)

So do you no how to put the AMT 180 back togeather? I just did mine you have to have that turbine wheel balanced wright I had it done then I put the rest back togeather. you have to go threw the front of the defuser with the two washers then the tampered washer then the lubrication ring then the bearing and the small washer in back of the compresser wheel.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Ruizmilton

Chris:

Whomever you spoke to at Boca is not helping them, Boca DOES carry the bearings you need, they are the GRW D6900/603... they are just ridiculously expensive, they have 43 units on hand....see here:

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...7&n=D6900/603C

Just so you know how this pricing act works out, here's GRW's germany pricing (select the 7th link from top to bottom on the left of the page for the D6900/603:

http://www.grw.de/english/frame.htm

For whatever reason the only GRW bearings that Boca carries that are so ridiculously expensive are those for AMT turbines, the ones for the 280 are the same price...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On a lighter side, my personal expierence has been that there is nothing made by man that Duct Tape, Zip-Ties, and a Cordless Drill won't fix !!!!!!! How in the HELL did mankind survive and progress to modern times without these tools I'll never know !!!!!

Danno[sm=tongue_smile.gif]