Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

savage problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 04:01 PM
creeping death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage problem...

OK here it is...when i first start up and get it warmed up, it runs great...about 1/2 tank and it cuts out at full throttle...i richened the high speed needle valve to 3 1/2 turns, plenty of smoke, idles fine, but still cuts out at high speed...cracked tank?...broken fuel line? no evidence of this...whats my prob...it runs perfect til half tank!...hmmm...confusing...i've been runnin nitro for 12 years...oh, and i changed the plug, and filter is brand new, and all needle settings are at break-in level. thx for the help!
Old 09-28-2003, 04:07 PM
crzy-svg-usr

Default RE: savage problem...

dude you need new rims
Old 09-28-2003, 05:14 PM
SavageRCRacer
My Feedback: (2)

What kind of motor[sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-28-2003, 05:21 PM
kennebell50

I have the same problem, somebody said I need a dual fuel tank setup?
Old 09-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Aterlatus

Well, I stuck the dual tank mod on my savage ss whilst I was building it, and I've not had a single problem of that kind...

Try searching on http://www.savage-central.com/ for "dual tank mod" - you should come up with something.

Basically, you need a 2oz (60cc) header tank and a little bit more fuel tubing. Mount the tank in the right place (you can use alloy brackets, but I just used tie wraps!) and you're set to go

Only downside is you have to prime the header tank before you start up each day (assuming it's empty). Other than that, the pros far outweigh the cons
Old 09-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Rex2342

Yeah do like Aterlatus says and do the Dual Tank mod.The pickup on the Savage fuel tank is in the front of the tank.At half tank the fuel is pushed to the rear of the tank and the pickup can't get any fuel and causes the cutting out at high speed.Look into the tank mod or wait until October when HPI releases the Savage25 RTR.The new 25RTR will have a tank with a rear pickup and no primer so it will be a much better design and should solve many problems.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Aterlatus

Unless you like going backwards at WOT :P
Old 09-28-2003, 06:03 PM
kennebell50

I guess that explains alot, that was about my only complaint with my Savage. If I new Savages were so tough I would gotten rid of my maxxes long ago. I beat the hell out of my Savage everyday and it takes it like a champ. Nothing but good to say about it, it takes 10,15,even 20 foot jumps and keeps going.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:04 PM
creeping death

ok, gotcha rex...makes sense...i guess the weird thing is, i've had it for 10 months, and it just started doing this about a month ago.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:05 PM
creeping death

can't i just put the new savage ss tank on my old school savage?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Rex2342

Yeah the Savage is a VERY tough truck!!! I too beat the crap out of mine regularly and havn't broken anything major like A-Arms bulkhead,or uprights.One thing I do brake is stock Dogbones but I haven't broken a HD one yet.Most of the damage on mine has been things like bent shock shafts and stripped wheels.Savage Central helped me fix the stripping wheels with a set of their Adapters and the OutBack Weld 40 series rims.Shock shafts are relatively cheap to replace and the stock ones are the best ones out so far so they are easy to find.I've made some very minor improvements to my truck and it makes a BIG difference in the overall feel of the truck.The Diff mod is one and I also went for the throttle linkage mod and the Ofna tank and Adrenaline Tank guard and the truck runs perfect from tank to tank now and doesn't cut out or overheat anymore.The linkage mod is nice because it is cheap and it works very well compared to the stock setup.The "C" spring on the stock servo saver wears out over time and it won't open the throttle the entire way.With this setup the "C" spring is eliminated and the linkage is setup similar to a buggy.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Rex2342

can't i just put the new savage ss tank on my old school savage?

It's not the SS tank that is fixed.It's the Savage25 RTR that is going to be released in the next few weeks that has the updated tank on it.You can use this tank on your Savage21 when it is released but that could be a couple of weeks.I'm going to buy it when it comes out and see if it works better than my Ofna Tank.The only downside to the Ofna tank is the decrease in run time.The Ofna tank is 125cc while the Savage tank is 160cc.Hopefully HPI got it right this time and I can have the increased runtimes again.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:41 PM
Aterlatus

Or you can do as I have

You get to keep the original 160cc, plus you get an extra 60cc!

My truck can run for up to half an hour on a full refuel

Also, if you flip it then it'll keep running a LOT longer. The header tanks tend to have a weighted pickup, so your engine doesn't get starved of fuel when it's upside down - it keeps getting just as much as it does normally

It's quite a cheap mod, given that all you really need to buy is the tank - most other stuff you'll have lying around...

I'd get you a link to the tank that you need, but savage-central seems to be running a bit slow atm

Hopefully they're fixing whatever it was that's stopped me posting there for the last few days :P
Old 09-29-2003, 02:51 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

just get a 120cc ofna tank
Old 09-29-2003, 05:11 PM
creeping death

does it mount right where the savage tank mounts?...can i get a link where to buy the ofna tank...thx bro.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:43 PM
luv2sk8te17
My Feedback: (20)

I thought i had an airleak when i discovered this same problem. All i did was richen the settings and it fixed it totally....try it.....u still might wanna get the neww ss tank since it wont have a primer it probably wont leak.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:16 PM
futaba1

Does the roto starter clear the header tank? It seems like it mounts where it will interfere with the alignment.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:55 PM
creeping death

first thing i did was put the needles back at break in level...it just ran too rich then...it has to be a leak somewhere, cause it doesn't do it until the tank starts to hit half to two-thirds full...i dont know if the pickup theory is my prob, now...because even at half full it still has plenty of fuel over the pickup...hmmm? damn!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:52 AM
Aterlatus

futaba: Yes it does - remember, you're placing the tank - you put it wherever you want

Your rotostart actually goes through the very bottom of the shock tower, so anything higher than that should be fine...
Old 09-30-2003, 06:01 PM
creeping death

ok, so I just got home from work, went to the garage, fired it up...it only had a half tank in it, so I expected it to cut out at top speed again after a couple high speed runs...NOPE! damn, i can't figure this out. now it runs fine, but i know if i go to the track it will start to act up again...just my luck...ffffff!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Aterlatus

Could be the inclination you're running it on...

Remember, this problem exists because at speed, the fuel tends to rush to the back of the tank making it very hard for your pickup to get any fuel...
Old 10-01-2003, 07:30 AM
creeping death

what if i coil up a lot of fuel line, so it has enough to keep going till the fuel is back over pickup? just a thought.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:59 AM
gbovard

My new savage quits unexpectedly too. With 1/2 tank or more even. I did the header tank mod, but it still can quit suddenly. I don't think it's lean, but I really haven't turned a screw yet. Should I be trying to tune it? Is it overheating?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:01 AM
gbovard

My new savage quits unexpectedly too. With 1/2 tank or more even. I did the header tank mod, but it still can quit suddenly. I don't think it's lean, but I really haven't turned a screw yet. Should I be trying to tune it? Is it overheating?
Old 10-02-2003, 07:35 AM
creeping death

go back to original needle settings from the book, and go from there...i will get the savage .25 rtr tank when it comes out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.