Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Durability, Afordability

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Jman44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durability, Afordability

Hi I am pretty new to nitro, I just got myself a cheap nitro on road car(works great). However there is something missing in my rc life...Big thrills of jumps, offroading bashing. So I have decided I also want a nitro monster truck. At first I wanted a Tmaxx, then I learned they break parts very often I have heard which can be costly to maintain. So I really want a highly durable strong MT that has parts readily availible at afordable prices. I am mainly thinking of the savage 25 because I have heard it is king of durability. Then I heard about the LST and how it is really strong too. I am leaning toward the savage because it is much cheaper than the LST. I really dont want to spend $600 on a MT(LST), but if it means saving $200 in unbroken parts then it would be worth it. I apreciate any helpful input.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:09 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Durability, Afordability

Dont discount the LST because of price. You know, it comes with a JR XS3 radio (synthesized, meaning no more crystals) 2 high torque servos for steering, 4 speeds (2 low 2 high) + reverse, not to mention the Mach 26 (very powerful engine). With that radio, you can run up to 6 different models too. Sooner or later you will want to upgrade your radio if you want to stay in this hobby..By getting the LST, you not only get the higher end radio, but a great truck, which, out of the box is a great race / bash combination. Only things to get for it would be a secondary gear cover (irratecustoms from ebay is the best so far), failsafe (dynamites is the best IMO), the roll bar from new era (not needed but recommended for head protection) and aluminum differential covers (stock are prone to cracking).
Might be a bit of money right off the bat, but I think youde be more satisfied with the LST in the long run. I had a Savage, but sold it..I like the LST much better
Old 02-16-2005, 06:30 AM
original.mb

LST wins hands down for strength, speed, durability, ease of maintenance and so much more get the lst you won't regret it + its bigger
Old 02-16-2005, 07:48 AM
infernalstone

I'd have to agree. Unless you happen to have a sweet little radio setup that you'd be stealing from the car, I wouldn't consider the cost difference as that big of a deal. I was able to get recently buy a kit, because I have a perfectly good radio that was free of any other vehicles. (MY ESC ate itself. So instead of buying a new 130 dollar esc, it seemed totally logical to spend 500 bucks on a Nitro truck and running gear and upgrades). All I needed extra in that department was the beefy steering servo.

If you really need convincing for the LST, to justify the price, go ask in the LST forum. It'll be biased, yea, but you can rummage through the opinions and see the common high points from people.

Of course, you can't discount the fact that the Savage is supposed to be pretty rough.

But I own neither so I couldn't tell you anymore more than heresay or offer advice from one who just recently went through the "Which big toy to get" phase.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Richie-EB4

Well i own ATM 4 rc's

And out of these i have to say that the savage wins hands down.........its so much fun off road and it can take some serious abuse.........plus..........parts are very easy to get hold of and cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13080.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	230188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70984.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	230189  
Old 02-17-2005, 04:04 AM
Jman44

How about the genesis, I like the way it is so big and cool looking but I saw the smf vid and how it broke easily. Does any one have any expireience with the genisis? If so Id like to hear if it is a good truck for me to get. Otherwise I will just save up for a savage or lst.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:53 AM
MN_Wild

ORIGINAL: Jman44

How about the genesis, I like the way it is so big and cool looking but I saw the smf vid and how it broke easily. Does any one have any expireience with the genisis? If so Id like to hear if it is a good truck for me to get. Otherwise I will just save up for a savage or lst.
Stay away from the genesis.....its a neat concept but when it comes to durability and parts availability its just not a top performer. Stick with a known big name brand if you plan on needing parts. The Losi is a great truck but is not without its flaws but the fact is if you run the #s it is a deal. 200 dollar radio, 150 dollar engine so basically the truck costs 200-250. You can sell your old radio and receiver, buy another JR receiver with the money you make and use one radio for both your cars. win-win Look em all over close......very close
Old 02-17-2005, 05:57 PM
RC30GTR

I own a Genesis for 3 months now. No major problem, just minor maintences every now and then like my RC10GT. I like the fact that its biggest and it pulls wheelie everywhere.. something no other truck in the market can do. Its certaily not a race truck, but IMO its the best bashing truck due to power and size.

I dont own a Savage or LST so i am not going to make any comment toward that like other ppl making comments on something they dont own.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:04 PM
bajan_dread

I like my MGT over my Savage because its way easier to work on, dont get me wrong as performance the savage never let me down, and I can say the same for the mgt. its bigger than the savage too longer wider bigger wheels and all (I put the MGT tires on the Savage when Im bashing and the savage wheels on the MGT when I wanna race my friends) if you wanna classic just get a stadium truck and put realllllllllly large wheels and long shocks on it lol way cheaper
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RC30GTR

...I like the fact that its biggest and it pulls wheelie everywhere.. something no other truck in the market can do.... I

I dont own a Savage or LST so i am not going to make any comment toward that like other ppl making comments on something they dont own.
It's funny.... even though you say you will make no comment, you already have. What.... you think folks can't read?

Anyway, here is post designed to show you (well not you specifically, but it sure fits here) just how wrong you are... on second thought, I'll quote the original to save you the time of clicking (orig: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2389010 )

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Over and over here I hear people say that a stock Savage (25 or ss) won't yank the front-end with the stock (15/49) gearing... Everyone that I have ever seen tuned properly will. Here is a short video (45 secs) of about 9 wheelies on pavement from a stock SS with a 2 shoe clutch, and keep in mind that the springs on the SS are a bit softer than on the 25 RTR (don't care what HPI says, I have held them side by side... Amsterdamn can attest the same) which should mean the RTR ought to do it easier (esp. considering the RTRs and NEWER SSs come with a 3-shoe clutch).

To the one user who says this is untrue, I guess the only 5 or 6 I've ever seen are unlike ALL THE REST EVER MADE, because they ALL will do this.

The link goes to an open directory, go to the directory and right-click and choose save. The filename is SSwheelies.WMV, and at 1.2 MB it is dialup friendly as well.

Enjoy.

http://america.post911timeline.org/U...RCVideo/SSvid/

MAD UPS to anyone who can name the tune/band in the short video.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:26 PM
infernalstone

Not trying to knock the video, but...doesn't the butt of a Savage normally squat more than that? Like, a lot more?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Frost_

Nope. (As I said,) That truck is stock as far as everything engine, suspension, gearing, etc.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:33 AM
HoldDaMayo

monster gt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 02-18-2005, 12:02 PM
lloydy

go MAD FORCE, cheap, indestrcuatble and low maintaince, also goes likes stink offroad
Old 02-18-2005, 12:38 PM
studysession

I had to delete some posts from this thread. Please do not post ebay links. Thanks for understanding.

Richie - I love this pic the best:
Old 02-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Richie-EB4

LOL.........not very often that they all get to play out