RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone own a Warhead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
spacoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Warhead

Has anyone adjusted the slipper clutch?

My son was running it today at slower speeds and I noticed it seemed to be slipping.
How do you know when you have it adjusted good?

Holding good temps although I did notice after about 2/3 tank it started to get warm. Speaking of warm I did noticed it made good power from 250 to 270, my boy did hit 280 putting around 1/2 throttle.

Stalled a couple times after full throttle to nothing. Still need to figure that out?

Dog bone pins are showing wear, now that I'm hammering the throttle. I know someone else posted this problem. See picture, has a flat spot started. I will be contacting Duratrax about this. They won't last long and with a $34.00 replacement cost for a pair of these, they better look into an upgraded replacement or there will be allot of unhappy warhead owners. What do you guys think? Will they replace these?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11042.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	381729  
Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 PM
dpatino

Hey guys. I pulled apart my engine today to see the extent of the damage... It's D E A D.

I've got pictures here:
http://www.onitap.com/coppermine/thu...s.php?album=16

My replacement will be here tomorrow. So take this as warning. Don't throttle up the engine without a load!! This is what happens

And the flaking, it IS the clutch shoe. The clutch shoes do NOT feel like metal to me. In fact one of mine had a small dent on it and I was able to push the dent flat with my fingernail. You can see in [link=http://www.onitap.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/IMG_8025.jpg]this picture here[/link] there is some of the flaking on the edge of one side of the shoe. this is not metal shavings.

Basically the engine over-reved and elongated the connecting rod where it connects to the crankshaft. It also shatered the piston rod that holds the connecting rod on to the piston. This allowed the piston to move a little too much and it slammed in to the crankshaft bending the edge of the piston. From the looks of the connecting rod, it was on it's way to cracking as well. There is a fracture on the bottom where it connects to the crank. Also in the picture you can see the bad o-ring that was on the carb. I think that was not caused by the same issue, and in fact came from the factory like that. Might explain why my settings would never stay the same, it was an air leak in the carb.

-Dave
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spacoli, looks like real small metal shaving around where the outdrives come out. Is that metal shavings or just normal oil and dirt? I am keeping my eye on this thread. I really like the looks of the Warhead and hope it turns out to be half a good as it looks. So far I don't think this thread points out anything that would stop me from buying one. Keep the reports coming guys.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 PM
spacoli

With my camera set on macro (for close up shots) it picks up every little spec of dust.
I'm sure there is some metal there from the dogbones wearing, but not near as much as it looks in the picture.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Wide Open

spacoli, PLEASE contact duratrax about it cause i had the same problem and im going to send back the driveshafts. hopefully they will reconsider their choice of metal there.[&:]
Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Frkzila

ORIGINAL: dpatino

Hey guys. I pulled apart my engine today to see the extent of the damage... It's D E A D.
Dave, since your engine is apart, would you mind snapping a few pics of
the sleeve and crankshaft. I'm thinking of a warhead for a racer and just
wondering how much potential the engine if I were to port and polish it.
Just got done doing it on my savage and it really brought out the beast.

Also is anybody racing the warhead yet? If so how how it handles ot a track?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 PM
dpatino

ORIGINAL: Frkzila

ORIGINAL: dpatino

Dave, since your engine is apart, would you mind snapping a few pics of
the sleeve and crankshaft. I'm thinking of a warhead for a racer and just
wondering how much potential the engine if I were to port and polish it.
Just got done doing it on my savage and it really brought out the beast.

Also is anybody racing the warhead yet? If so how how it handles ot a track?
Sure, i'll have to do it tomorrow though. I don't have a way to get the flywheel off right now (without hurting something). Got a new flywheel wrench coming with the new engine tomorrow.

-Dave
Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope some of the aftermarket parts folks are reading this thread. This would be a great place to start with Warhead hopups.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
jthunder
My Feedback: (1)

what's up? i have a warhead with a sh28 on it. haven't had a chance to run it due to the weather. i'll run it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. i also replaced to stock flywheel with a three shoe alum. set up, changed tires too. the stock tires are heavy, they were replaced with a set of pro-line mashers and proline offsets. i'll post tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
spacoli

I sent email to Duratrax I will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Sweet dude. I bet that SH28 will almost flip it on it's lid!!! Let us know.
ORIGINAL: jthunder

what's up? i have a warhead with a sh28 on it. haven't had a chance to run it due to the weather. i'll run it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. i also replaced to stock flywheel with a three shoe alum. set up, changed tires too. the stock tires are heavy, they were replaced with a set of pro-line mashers and proline offsets. i'll post tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 PM
lukskywalker

Ok to applys to all who own a Warhead...

I know its to late since I already ordered and am waiting for my warhead to arrive. But considering what you all know now and have been through with the warhead. If you could redo it,would you order another warhead or order something different.????
Old 01-05-2006, 11:55 PM
dpatino

I'd still get the warhead.

Remember, people will go out of their way to complain about a product. People won't usually do that to praise one. I bet for everyone here that has had a broken part or something wrong, there are 10 people that are perfectly happy with their trucks.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:56 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

You will be fine with the warhead.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
WeekendRC

Started to break in the engine today. I'm trying to do this at work between phone calls and emails so I was only able to get one tank through it. I had to losen the glow plug to get it to turn easier and start. I probably should have heated the engine first but when u get a new toy u just want to jump right in... anyway I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and continue, this thing wants to take off.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Bill Plude

I bet for everyone here that has had a broken part or something wrong, there are 10 people that are perfectly happy with their trucks.
I haven't said I'm unhappy with my truck even though I've broken a bulkhead and a steering part. In fact I'm quite happy with it and I'm seriously considering buying another one............
Old 01-06-2006, 05:58 AM
narly

Howdy guy's , thinkin of getting a warhead and would like to know what size hex are the wheels and if there are adaptors to run 17mm hex ? Reason being that the dominator runs 17's and I have a lot of tyre and rim cobos for it so it would be good if I could swap around wth the warhead .
Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
jbrad65

Hey, guys I would defintely buy a warhead again it like ALL other trucks have some small querks, but over all this is a great truck. It also looks awesome with another body on it. I will attatch some pics with this post also. I would defintly upgrade the radio and servos. Other than that it is good to go. With proper break in. Some future mods that I have in mind is an OS .30 VG engine,shock oil, diff oil,and some aluminum parts when available. I hope to make it a nasty competitor. I think the warhead will be a proven performer as time goes on. Just my 2 cents.[8D]
Old 01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
spacoli

A buddy from work just got a Associated Monster GT 4.6 and asked me to come over and run with him Saturday. Not sure if I'm going to yet depending on the weather. He has run about a gallon of fuel though his maybe more and I'm barely at 1/2 gallon. I really don't know how much of a difference that will make.

He is courious, as well am I of how the Warhead and the MGT compare. I will give the results of my findings. Keep in mind that both of us are new to this so don't expect a bunch of technical terminology. I will try my best in comparing the two.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 PM
spacoli

Well I won't be going to run with my buddy Saturday. I also learned how easy it was to take apart the Warhead, at least the front end.

Hit a treestump that was cut all but flush with the ground after I launched over a little bank. Hit the one front wheel and A-arm, and tumbled.

See pictures for damage report.... the servo saver, radio tray, center skid plate, the A-arm I think is fine but that might be a crack (see circled area)...cost $12.67 + shipping, still under $20. , not bad. From what I can see, everything is covered under stress tech, so I will have spare parts once I send them back to Duratrax, not bad once again.

The bellcrank posts attach to the radio tray and skid plate. the skid plate is a little thicker where the bellcrank attaches, but the radio tray is thin in my opinion. An aluminum skidplate would deffinatly be a good upgrade. I highly doubt the radio tray would be upgraded, you never know though.

I do think the cold 32 degree weather played a part the way it shattered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33376.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	382273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72691.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	382274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69460.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	382275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58723.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	382276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83643.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	382277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne56219.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	382278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs30163.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	382279  
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Bill Plude

The amazing thing about the damage we've been doing to our trucks is the parts are inexpensive and most of them are covered by Stress Tech anyway. AND....most of the breakage has been in cold weather AND.....it isn't that hard to fix.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
spacoli

What other parts should I get since I'm ordering? You guys know more about this stuff than me.
Maybe a spur gear, clutch, slipper parts, bulk head,ect. Anything that might wear out that I'm not familiar with.

Great thing about that warranty, sure you will have to buy them once if you want to get it back running quick, but you will have back up parts and just keep on sending them back for replacement.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Bill Plude

It's here!!! RC Universe's article

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=625
Old 01-07-2006, 09:22 AM
spacoli

I had asked about the slipper clutch adjustment in one of my previous posts. It seems like mine is slipping too much when running up a incline or at slower speeds. I checked it and it seems to be set at the 1/8 turn from tight. Has anyone had any slipper problems or adjusted there slipper? I just don't want to tighten it and end up hurting anything or leave it loose and burn it out or melt the spur gear. Any tips or tricks on slipper adjustment.

I will be taking the truck apart more since the crash damage, should I clean the clutch & bell and the slipper with something. I read the test on the Warhead and they said there was oil from the factory inside the clutch bell. Could this be my problem?

Also Duratrax has contacted me on the driveshaft wear. They said they must be "defective".
they are sending me new and I must return the old for them to inspect.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Bill Plude

Make sure your motor screws are tight and your gear mesh is good. If they are tighten the slipper a little more. If it still does it, tighten them a little more. I crank right down on my TMAXXes slippers and just back them off enough to say I backed them off(1/32 turn if that much is measurable) If I munch a $3 spur gear...I change it. Doesn't happen now that I've learned to get out of the throttle when I have the nose of the truck up against something. I want the truck to GO when I pull the throttle! LOL

Good to hear they're going to back up the Driveshaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.