RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:24 PM
think20
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT Engine Question

I've been running my MGT with the stock engine for over a gallon of fuel and for some reason it is make a very high pitch sound even at idle. I pretty sure that all fuel lines and exhaust manifolds are sealed. I also put in a new glow plug but still have no luck at solving this problem. The truck still runs ok but even with adjusting the settings, the sound pitch does not change. BTW I am running with an XTM pipe so I don't think its just the exhaust noise. Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Bria1

Default RE: MGT Engine Question

Does the noise change with the engine rpm? Do you hear it with the truck stopped and moving? Did this noise start all at once or did it start out faint and get worse?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:41 PM
think20

from the moment the car starts it stays at a high pitch noise with no change as i drive. it almost sounds like the noise before you run out of fuel
Old 07-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Bria1

Have you tried richening the high and low speed needles?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
think20

yea but have had no luck
Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

it sounds like the clutch is rubbing, maybe one of the clutch springs is broken causing it to grab at low rpm
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Bria1

That's a possibility or a clutch bearing, but you would think it would change with the clutch engaged since it would then all be turning together.

I'm starting to think it could be the 1-way bearing for the starter shaft dragging or a crankshaft bearing. See if you can turn the engine over by turning the flywheel and hold the starter shaft still.

Just make sure you don't turn the engine over backwards or you could break the pull start.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 PM
think20

u cannot move the flywheel while holding the starter shaft...i also opened up the clutch assembly and everything looks to be intact. Is there anything specifically i should look for?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:09 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ive got the same problem on my hyper 8port ..its my spare engine and i decided to run it today..i noticed that theres a high pitch tone that sounds like ur running out of gas..i tried to richen the lsn and it didnt work same with the hsn...man only in new joisey i guess ehehhe
Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 AM
think20

yea sounds just like the trouble im having with my MGT
Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 AM
think20

Now that I think of it, sometimes when I would increase the throttle the pitch would increase and when I let go of the gas, the pitch would go back to its original high pitch state.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Bria1

You should be able to turn the flywheel in the direction the engine rotates when running without the starter shaft turning when held. It sounds like the 1-way bearing may be sticking. Pull the pull start off and check the 1-way.

ORIGINAL: think20

u cannot move the flywheel while holding the starter shaft...i also opened up the clutch assembly and everything looks to be intact. Is there anything specifically i should look for?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:27 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

the high pitch tone on my engine occurs after doin some high speed rounds then i let it sit on idle.thats when the high pitch kicks in..is that the same as your engine?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:59 PM
think20

what should i look for when i take out the one way bearing? The high pitch noise will be heard the second i start the engine not just while running it
Old 07-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Bria1

See if it locks up one direction and freely spins the other. You could also clean it with some nitro cleaner and try looking at the plastic cage that holds the needle bearings to see if it looks damaged.

what should i look for when i take out the one way bearing? The high pitch noise will be heard the second i start the engine not just while running it
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
think20

everything in the pull start housing seems fine. the one way bearing only allows it to spin in one direction but how freely should it spin?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Bria1

It should turn with very little resistance going 1 direction, but it won't free spin like a wheel bearing will.

Did you check both 1-way bearings. The stock MGT dual start has 1 for the pull start and 1 for the shaft start. The one for the shaft start would be the most likely cause if that is what it is.

I thought of a couple other things also. Do you see any oil or fuel being sprayed around the exhaust or engine? Do you run the engine out of fuel and use after run oil?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:00 AM
think20

Where is the one way bearing located for the starter shaft? I run to the end of a tank most of the time and I do use after run oil. The engine is completly oil/fuel free around all seals.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM
think20

I think the clutch may be the problem after messing around during a 5min engine run. Since all my engine tuning settings were fine before this problem arised i don't think they have anything to do with it although i did adjust them to double check. The engine seems to be spinning much faster before engaging the clutch. I am not positive that this it the problem but if it is are there any aftermarket clutch that may perform better or should I stick to the stock one?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
duckedup

Sounds like your clutch shoes are getting worn, I replaced the stock shoes with aluminum right after I got it - with these [link=http://www.novarcproducts.com/clutchshoes.html]Nova[/link] .... they're much better, you can also add the set screws as weight to make them grip harder but they'll wear quicker. Either way though, they're better than stock.

You have to take the back plate off to get to the one way bearing, there's 8 screws to take out to get to it - it's easy though
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Bria1

The starter shaft 1-way is behind the backplate and connects directly to the crankshaft. In your manual at the exploded view of the engine, it is number25329

Where is the one way bearing located for the starter shaft? I run to the end of a tank most of the time and I do use after run oil. The engine is completly oil/fuel free around all seals.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Bria1

Another thought may be the slipper is set too loose, but that should only make noise when the truck is moving. Same with the clutch, unless there is a broken spring, bad bearing, or it isn't shimmed correctly causing it to rub on the flywheel. I still use the stock clutch shoes, but I'm considering getting the aluminum Nova shoes. I know my stock shoes slip because the clutch bell is discolored slightly. I haven't heard any noises, but then again my rpm doesn't flare up more than the truck is going.

I think the clutch may be the problem after messing around during a 5min engine run. Since all my engine tuning settings were fine before this problem arised i don't think they have anything to do with it although i did adjust them to double check. The engine seems to be spinning much faster before engaging the clutch. I am not positive that this it the problem but if it is are there any aftermarket clutch that may perform better or should I stick to the stock one?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 PM
duckedup

ORIGINAL: Bria1

I know my stock shoes slip because the clutch bell is discolored slightly. I haven't heard any noises, but then again my rpm doesn't flare up more than the truck is going.
Speaking of discolored CB's... mine is a few different colors now lol... I didn't notice it until after I ran the Nova shoes though. I put all the set screws in that they came with, could that be why? maybe too much grip or dragging? and also, They wore down pretty quick, I took the larger set screws out but I think it's too late and time for new ones. Also, does the discoloring affect performance?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
think20

Is there any way I can tell if my clutch shoes are worn down before I buy the Nova Aluminum shoes?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Bria1

If the clutch is slipping or the clutch bell gets glazed then it will affect performance, but otherwise it just makes it colorful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.