Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

BIG vs. small

Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
kyle 9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG vs. small

Alright since im not old enought to drive, and my LHS is like 45 min away, i probably wont be able to go and race every weekend, I was thinking of getting a rtr truggy like the rc8t-rs or the jamminx2 rtr, but i think it would be pointless to get one a race only a couple weekends.
So i was thinking i probably need a basher, and a good one, But Now every company is making like a bigger m/t and i dont know if i should get a big one like the Savage XL, MGT 8.0, or Losi XXL, or just get the Savage X 4.6, Revo 3.3 (5308), or T-maxx (4908). I want it to be duarable, pretty fast like 40mph and up, easy to work on (since im new to this hobby) and just simply FUN!!!!

This isnt really a VS. Thread, it is just simply a "SIZE" thread, SO WHICH SIZE SHOULD I GET
If you want to give suggestions for which truck to get you can. If you want.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: BIG vs. small

Either the Savage XL or the LST2.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
twomanytoys

If you can afford the Xl or LST2 then go for those. If you are on a budget then go for the Losi Aftershock or Savage X 4.6. I have not read hardly anything bad about the NEW 4908 Maxx and its the same size as the Savage. The Aftershock is the cheapest of the bunch but its darn near bulletproof.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
kyle 9

ya i was thinking about getting the savage x 4.6 or the XL, but then on all these posts, everyone keeps saying that the XL has a really bad engine, so i wasnt sure anymore. How is the MGT 8.0, does anyone have that? I would prefer one that not that hard to tune either thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
twomanytoys

I have the 8.0. Actually I have just about every 1/8 scale truck made. The 8.0 has more torque than I have ever seen in a mt. Its a good truck and very tough. The motor is real easy to tune and it has the Thunder Tiger quality so it will last for a really long time. Only weak spots are the stock bumpers. You will want to change the bumpers to the older 4.6 style bumpers. Have you looked at the mgt 3.0? I prefer the Aftershock over the 8.0. The 8.0 is very clumsy. It rolls very easy. If you get the Xl all you need to do is pull the motor and sell it on ebay. Then purchase a LRp to drop in. The LST2 is the perfect all around package.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80164.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1127823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54741.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1127824  
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
MadManAndrew

ya, the Xl engine overheats, and craps out faster than others, not to mmetion the K style carb...So, I'd recomend a Savage X 4.6, it's still pretty big, it's easy as crap to work on, and in virtually unbreakable.Plus, if you want later, for 50 bucks (USD) you can get and Xl conversion kit which is simply new TVP's and a dogbone and fairly easy to install...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
twomanytoys

There is alot more to teh Xl than longer tvp's and dogbone.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
MadManAndrew

the XL length conversion invloves TVP's, a new dogbone, and a new motor mount plate...Thats's it, however, width is a whole nother story.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
twomanytoys

The Xl kit. I would say if you go that rout you might as well buy the FLM extended chassis which comes with teh rear drive shaft for about the same price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-XL-Ch...A1%7C294%3A200
Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 AM
MadManAndrew

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8439180/tm.htm]Here's[/link] a link to the one at Tower. 5 bucks more and you don't have to deal with ebay
Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 AM
benzy2

If you do go with the Savage 4.6 X go with the RTR version and not the kit. The kit comes with the K4.6 motor and the RTR comes with the F4.6. The F has a lot more power and is a pretty nice motor for a factory ride. You will be happier with the F. If you go with the XL I would pull the motor before ever running it. They seem to be getting good money on ebay and would be something I would first dump and replace than deal with. The Aftershock/LST/LST2 route is a good one to go. I would wait on buying one NIB until the XXL is out to all the stores. I would think the rest would all drop in price when the XXL actually hits the market. The LST2 is hard to find right now though. Losi may have stopped production and may be discontinuing it with the XXL release. The great thing about the aftershock is the ability to upgrade to LST2 spec. The LST/LST2 have great radios with them. They are JR XS3 synthesized FM. They may not be 2.4 but they are darn good for a RTR radio.

As for size in general it all depends. I know transportation is tough but go to the local store and size everything up. Ask yourself if the extra size is worth the extra money. To some it is, to others it isn't. Figure out what the local shop sells and what they sell parts for. I would tend to pick a model the local guy at least carries parts for. Once you have it narrowed down to a specific brand read up on the specific differences between the size differences. Is getting bigger worth potentially handling worse? Does the bigger truck have enough power to move it how you want? Does the bigger truck do anything that the smaller one couldn't in your driving use? It all depends on the brand. What do you want? It doesn't matter much what we think, only what size truck you think will make you happiest.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
kyle 9

ya i think i am goin there soon, and im goin to check. thank you for that.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
JLRevo

I vote for a Revo.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 PM
kyle 9

the losi xxl seems like a lot of money, and the savage Xl also seems alittle high, especially if i would have to get a new engine anyway. I was thinking, wouldnt it be smarter to get the savage x 4.6 and then like spend the difference and get the 3 speed transmission, and or the suspension conversion set?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 AM
benzy2

Look at the radio that comes with the XXL. You get the spektrum dx3s 2.4 radio. The Savage comes with an AM radio. I believe the 454 is a LRP .28 Spec 3 motor. I guess it all depends what you want. The F4.6 seems to be a pretty good stock motor. You could get into it and then get a better radio and be close to the same price as an XXL. I think the best deal right now is the LST2. They were going for $480 through Amain which is pretty cheap. I would wait on the XXL just a little bit to see if there are any first run issues. When it comes to the XL size costs money. Yeah you can go X with a nicer motor for the price of an XL and if you plan on never running the stock motor on the XL it is one less thing you have to go through as well. But do you want the extra size? It has always been cheaper to get a smaller truck up to speed than a small one. If you want best bang for the buck the X is hard to beat. Normally people who are worried about the dollar won't spring for the XL. Now if you want the bigger truck get the XL and ignore the money difference. I went through this with electrics. Its pretty easy and cheap to get a stadium truck to go lightning fast. The VXL out of the box will haul. Add lipo and a little gearing and you are set. Now if you want a truck that can turn at speed you need to step up to one of the bigger units like the e-revo or the new savage flux. There you are pushing $700 after tax for the truck plus a bit for a dual lipo setup. While it isn't as cheap to be running a lot of people find it more fun.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:28 AM
kyle 9

if i ended up getting the savage XL, what would be a good motor to get?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

get a aftershock or a lst2.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: kyle 9

if i ended up getting the savage XL, what would be a good motor to get?
the Ofna Picco .28 or LRP .28... Or you could run the k5.9 untill the LRP Z.30 is released and get it.Speaking of, anyone know a release date for the LRP Z.30?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
kyle 9

would it also be smart to think about the savage flux or e-revo brushless? those have mad speed, but i love the sound of nitro.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
benzy2

You will really really really want to run lipo with them. Brushless is killer on nimh batteries. If you can afford both the truck and the batteries then it is an amazing system. The power is nasty. Those big brushless systems work best with big voltage. Add the price of lipo in and if it isn't too much it is just as good an option as any.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 PM
kyle 9

sicne i dont really know much about electic or brushless, do u think the savge FLUX can really do 62mph, thats sounds crazy for a monster truck. And how many lipos would it take to go that fast, (4,6 ...) thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: kyle 9

sicne i dont really know much about electic or brushless, do u think the savge FLUX can really do 62mph, thats sounds crazy for a monster truck. And how many lipos would it take to go that fast, (4,6 ...) thanks

R/C Driver tested a Savage FLUX at 36.59mph on two MaxAmps 5000mah 2-cell Lipos. I'm sure that using two 3-cell Lipos would be significantly faster, but probably also much more of a handful to maintain control. Rather than focusing on top speed mph, you need to understand the manner in which it arrives at that speed. Those 2 big MaxAmps Lipos (even though only 2-cell) would make that FLUX accelerate so hard that it would almost seem violent.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
kyle 9

o haha i never thought about it like that thank you
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Blaze182

Honestly, with everything considered, the Losi is the best option if you can spend the cash, right out of the box you dont really need to upgrade anything... If you wanted to make it a hardcore monster, then your gonna upgrade any truck, but in terms of OMFG out of the box, the Losi products are top notch and really dont need anything changed unless you broke it, which, btw, good luck lol, my LST2 hasn't broken a damn thing, and I bash hard... The only thing you really need to do maintenance on is the stock clutch shoes will wear out after about 3-4 galleons, replace them with a set of long life clutch shoes and bang, $10 spent on fixing the greatest truck in existence... otherwise the XXL is a good option too, fantastic radio on it XD but for a relatively new person the to hobby, the controller will bring you a whole new nightmare... If you must go XXL, dont fiddle with any settings ont eh radio, its the easiest way to completly confuse yourself, lol.

Go Losi though =]
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
rclynx

Don't know where to find him now but I questioned a guy about an XTM MMT going over 80 MPH and he proved it by giving up a URL to an RC record book and some video on U=tube. It was a brushless conversion that went either 82 MPH or 87 MPH I can't remember which [X(]